Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,840
    lol, you want to talk all the fun out of it?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    That's why I go to the Edmunds.com "Problem" boards--to have lots of fun! Why would I go there to, say, find out about the problem history of a vehicle I'm thinking about buying, or get help on a vehicle I own? :-P
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    The Subaru threads I browse here are similar, lots of chit-chat, a friendly group. When problems arise, most come to the one in trouble and try to help get the problem identified and/or resolved.

I know it's hard to wade through the thousands of posts here, but if you're going to do good research, one must read carefully, and not coming to conclusions based on post counts. I think virtually every thread here on Edmunds has gone O/T occasionally, sometimes more often than not. It's just the nature of discussion boards. :-)

One can simply scroll to the bottom of a thread and ask a simple question abpout reliability/problems/etc. if so inclined too. ;-)

-Brian
  • I'm not on this board often so I don't know if pictures of the '04 MPV have been shown yet. But
    Mazda just debuted the new MPV an hour ago at the Frankfurt auto show. Main differences are new headlights, new grille, and titanium coloured instrument panel (similar to the Mazda6).
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    http://www.autoscoop.topcities.com/autoforum/viewtopic.php?t=2552

Nothing groundbreaking......perhaps a touch more upscale looking......sure wish that back seat was split.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I've seen pics too and while the interior is great - black sporty cloth, nice dash, the exterior lost some of its "Mazdaness" - they should have left it edgy, without rounding it off like the Windstar, Caravan, etc... Still looks ok, but the current ones w/the ES appearance package is the best looking van on the market IMO.

Dinu
    The 17" wheels make a big difference too...I'd like to see pics of the new version with them.
    Don't care for the GFX ground effects though.
  • All...the following link is a Ford media report about the 2004 MPV...the main deal is "rear wheel disc brakes", redesign of front, new wheels, and 7 new colors.

Here is the link... http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=16113

Dang it all...I wonder how much to retrofit the rear discs on my 2002?
    Have to agree with you......after looking at the '04 back to back with the '03, I definitely prefer the edgier, more youthful look of the '03.
    The '04 looks a little old-fashioned or stodgier in comparison. Maybe Mazda is trying to appeal to an older, more upscale crowd and will then give us the Mazda4 for those who want an edgier, sportier look.
    For some reason, the wheels24.co.za link below doesn't work but if you search for Mazda4 in google you can get to it that way. Also try
    http://37747.rapidforum.com/topic=102285175588

I like the Mazda4 but hope they hide the sliding door tracks as in the MPV and tidy up the rear styling a bit.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24v2/ContentDisplay/w24ThirdLevel- - /0,5684,1369_1339183,00.html?NewsPath=1
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    I'm gonna mostly stay out of this because I have never seen an 03 MPV with the appearance package--full disclosure. But, based on what I have seen, and including the *interior* and exterior, I really find it hard to see a marked difference in "sportiness." It even appears to me that the '04s interior, combined with the front headlight arrangement make it a bit more sporty. Each to his/her own. Not sure how I feel about the 04's grill though.
    Looks good - I'm not sure if it's a 5 or 7 seater, but I like 5 seaters like the old Nissan Axxess. Mazda had the Premacy in Europe in this configuration:

Looks like a mini minivan (it's NOT a typo)
    High seating position
    Seats 5
    Available in MT

Another comment: I believe the MPV is available in Europe in 5spd MT. Can anybody confirm that?

Dinu
  • Dinu,

In the UK the MPV has a 5M. Don't actually see any mention of an auto option!

Steve.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    We don't know that the '04 MPV coming to Europe is the same one we'll get. There could be trim changes. For sure we won't get the 5-speed stick shown the Euro MPV :-( and I don't recall seeing an in-dash NAV system on the options list for North America. But if we do get this van as pictured, I was wondering... does anyone else think the front end is reminiscent of the last-generation 626? I too prefer the edgier styling of the '03 MPV, and a faux titanium dash doesn't do anything for me.
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    I agree - I was expecting more of a Mazda6-ish front ent, but the '04 has more of a Millenia or 626 look to it. Not necessarily a bad thing, and I'm looking forward to seeing one in Winning Blue or Pearl White.

<back to lurking>

-Jason
    I also don't see any sign of a GFX option package in the 04 pricing on the Mazda site.
    Maybe that's why the new design looks a bit old...
    it's similar to the old 626/Millenia. I was expecting a sportier, "Mazda6" look as well.
    dinu02.....the Mazda4 apparently will be a 7 seater (probably truly comfortable for 6...4 adults & 2 kids). Even though it's based on the Ford CMAX (strictly a 5 seater), I guess Mazda wanted to differentiate it from it's corporate sibling.....hence the sliders and the 7 seats.
    It's dinu01 not dinu02! :) No worries though.

I was expecting that too - a little more edgy and the Mazda6/Mazda3/Mazda2 front end instead of the rounded one.

Now about the M4 - if they make it a 6/7 seater, doesn't that compete with the MPV? Unless they want to take the MPV out of Europe. Hmm...

Dinu
    (slip of the finger, i guess!)
    I'm wondering if the next gen. MPV (which will be built off the Mazda6 platform) will grow in size to match the Odyssey/Sienna/Quest etc. I know that may disappoint those of us who like the current MPV BECAUSE of it's size, but it would open the door for the Mazda3-based Mazda4 and then, at least, we'd have a choice:
    Sporty, compact Mazda4 or full-size MPV.
  • ... maybe the VW will bring the Touran in NA.
    A bit sketchy at this point with only one exterior pic and only the names of some colors, including "Tsunami Blue Mica" !!

BTW, can anyone estimate for me the interior distance (length) from behind the front seats all the way to the rear? I live aways from the nearest dealer or I'd measure it myself.
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    is correct. Here's what is being shown at the Frankfurt show as the 2004 MPV...

Compared to Edmund's alleged 2004 MPV, which looks to me like a 2003...

Then, compare it w/ the 2002 MPV (looks the same to me)

The 2004 will have different fenders hood, grill, front bumper, rear bumper, different tail lights and side sill extensions. It'll look distincly different than the 2003 model. Steve... some QC?
    I'm confused - I don't see the MPV listed anywhere from our Frankfurt Auto Show link on the main Edmunds.com page. I don't see it under the Future Vehicles link either. Got a link?

And remember, I'm not the only one around here with access to the Feedback Form :-)

Stay tuned....

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

bugging you!

I don't think that the MPV is being represented on the Frankfurt site, actually. I'd link you, but you'd have to delete the post, Steve.

Or... if you have access to their Euro press site, you can see the photos there as well.
    Yeah, but where is our 2004 pic posted?

I must be missing something obvious... need donuts...

Steve, Host

Is found right HERE*. Wheelz4 posted a link to some 2004 photos in post 6471, as well.

Incidentally, on Mazda's US press site, the photo that Edmunds is using for the 2004 (which I posted last night) is labled '2003 Mazda MPV.' :-)

Donuts? Oh thx... is the KK open there yet? I'm going to Boston soon and I know I'm going to try and find a KK there!
    The KK opens here on Oct. 7 I think. I figure the lines won't go away until the tenth at the earliest, so I'm going to avoid the rush. Maybe get some at the Albertsons and microwave them instead.

Thanks for the link; sure didn't see it anywhere since I went to Most Researched on the New Car pages and didn't page down. Feedback submitted - stay tuned.

Steve, Host

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The MPV is scheduled for a total redesign for the 2006 model year....but this may swing a year in either direction....it will be built on the MZ6 platform.

There is also a type of sport wagon with AWD in the works for the same time period. not exactly a minivan, not exactly a car and not exactly a SUV....sorta in the middle.
    A Washu-type of vehicle, maybe? Sport Wagon... I like the sound of that!
  • I love Edmunds discussion groups but I am sorry to say that Edmunds information is full of errors and in my opinion at this point Edmunds has no credibility whatsoever.

The best example is information about new MPV 2004. When you check standard futures for ES model Edmunds claims that ES comes with manual sliding doors and there is no option for power sliding door.

This information is false and according to mazdausa.com and kbb.com power door is available for both LX and for ES models.

This is once again Edmunds error. I wonder what editors are doing to improve the situation. In the meantime I would never quote Edmunds as my source of information. Maybe with the exception of this group where javadoc will never let slip to the public and bull.

mazda guy
    I'll let slip to the public. ;-) I just have to be careful how I do it, so that I don't get my posts deleted by posting info about competing websites (which might have better info...) LOL.

Yes, I'm jabbing, but gently.