Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• basurfbasurf Posts: 42
    It is pretty much lame...mine always reads way over what the temp really is even after long highway drives. I am talking like 20 degrees over. It would be interesting to have the docs on the auto-dim mirror itself because it appears that you can adjust the reading. If anyone can supply us with that...sure would appreciate it.

Other than that the auto-dim mirror is fine and no problems after dealer install.
  • That's it, I'm bailing out of the mirror. Too much negative feedback. I appreciate everyone's input. Should be interesting negotiating this with the dealer.

I put on the mudguards and bug guard yesterday. The back mudguards are a poor fit. I monkeyed around with them for a good hour and couldn't get them to fit snugly against the body panel. They aren't going anywhere but it is just irritating me the way they look. There is a gap, especially towards the top. I agree with Subearu, other vehicles, including my Altima and the Outback I just traded in, have much better fitting guards. The front guards look fine. I put the third (bottom) screw in. Actually, I just put in an aluminum sheet metal screw with some putty (to prevent rust).
  • I was having the same thought as Basurf. Is there a way you can adjust the temperature reading (which I guess you could do mentally if nothing else!). If it is always about twenty degrees high, that would suggest it is accurate, but just not properly calibrated. Be interesting to see if the difference remains the same in hot and cold weather.

Reminds me of the old days when you could get a little adhesive backed dial thermometer to stick on your driver side mirror. It was pretty accurate, as long as the sun wasn't baking it. dan
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Posts: 39
    Any noticed that? I love this package, so if you select LX, then you have no option to get it. Weird, isn't?
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    Okay, it is time to go on about the most annoying things about my 01 MPV,but first the mileage. 900 mile trip,2 people,mostly highway in New England with the air on, 23 mpg.
    There are many good points about the MPV but that would take too long and not be as much fun to talk about. On the negative side however...

That damn engine gets on my nerves whenever I am merging onto a highway and want some extra zip, or when going up a hill and there is nothing left to give. Also, it revs too high and that can also drive you a bit nuts after 10 hours behind the wheel. And to think this was all because Mazda was to cheap to put a properly sized engine in it.They did such a nice job with this van and then go and mess around with perhaps the most important single item in it.
    The Resale value when compared to other vehicles. Yes, I got a good deal when purchased new,but I will pay when it comes time to sell; and part of this is due to the engine size.
    Did I mention that someone forgot to install a passenger side power lock switch on my MPV.
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Holy cow, still?... I'm 3yrs into my 6yr loan on my van ($23k), owe $10k and it books for $15k (private party), so I don't think I'm bad off or taking it in the boxers. I can imagine that I'd be even better off if I'd had opted for a shorter-term loan.

If I bought a different van, I'd still owe $15k on an Ody that's worth $20k (same $5k net but paying $80/mth more), or I'd owe $12k on a comparable DC van that's worth $14k. I would've been worrying about lemony-scented transmissions in either case.

Where is this resale downside again? I haven't seen any numbers to support this. Has anyone that traded a 2000 MPV taken a bad hit when trading/selling their van?
  • gampagampa Posts: 78
    Just got back from trip out to the mid west, almost all turnpike, and this is what my mileage was... remember now the car only had 201 miles to start... and I kind of babied it for the brake in period

On the first leg, about 95% higway, 5% city I got 24.5 mpg which is what was expected... on the way back I averaged 27.5 mpg. Hopefully after the engine gets some miles it and loosens up, I can reach the 30 mpg range.

Also the engine was quiet and smooth... but the seat needs some lumbar support... and at 65 mph my rpm's were 2000.
  • looking at the mazda page for next years mpv, i too was surprised to see that the security package was dropped. i think it's a step backwards given that vans are basically family movers, and people in this segment want the most security features (side airbags, traction control etc) that they can get. unless these become standard, it may be a bad marketing move.

hopefully they wil shave a few inches of the shift lever too, and provide for stronger upholstery for the third row. in the stow-away position, my kid's stroller already wore out a spot in less than 2 days.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Wow! If you can break 30, you'll be my hero.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Posts: 41
    Just got back from a 2.1K mile trip to the White Mts. and the ME coast and got 24.89 MPG (02 MPV).

Regards

OldStyle
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Wow, I think 27 is just amazing! Wtg Gampa!
  • scannerscanner Posts: 295
    Rutger,

All I can suggest is that you take your lumps and trade it in for a 2002 or later. I kind of feel sorry for those who brought in to the MPV before the addition of 3.0 engine (big improvement), Mazda should have known. But I think what we're talking about may be a problem only those who drive around the Northeast corridor will understand. :-)

I'll report on gas mileage after I get a few more miles on the odometer.
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    Don't feel sorry for me! My Wife and I are happy with our 01 and don't regret our purchase.

Rutger3, You story about resale, no power, Mazda being cheap etc....is very old and tiresome. Sorry you don't like your van, maybe you should have bought the Highlander.

Sorry to be blunt, I'm not sunshine and lollipops today. Some nimrod hit skipped my Protege today in my work's parking lot. Not much damage, left front fender above the wheelwell. My Protege is 2 weeks from being 1 year old and was mark free, not one scratch, rock chip or doording. Just hope my body shop matches my Mill red color.

Pjd58
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    Scanner: do you think the Mazda dealer where I bought my 01 would give me a good trade?

pjd58: sorry about your Protege getting nicked up,that's beat. I'm sure that's the main reason you are upset with my comments because I would find it hard to believe anyone could grow tiresome of my old and tired opinions.I am impressed that you remembered the Highlander as my other vehicle of choice. BTW, haven't seen many HL's on the road and the Toyota guys are now ready to deal. Those crazy dealers.

I was just about to start my always interesting thoughts on the Odyssey, unless of course anyone has objections.
  • Our 4-month old ES got hit a week ago. It was a 3-car pile up, with my wife stopped at a red light and the two cars behind her doing the domino crunch. My wife was fine, but the lady driving the middle car was taken away by paramedics with neck and back injuries. Our ES fared well too, as the only damage I see is the bumper. I have to take it to the dealer as soon as the other guy's insurance company gives the go ahead. Oh well, I think it was all caused by the fact that I just waxed it the week before!
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    I'm not trying to give you grief, just want you to consider all of the positives attributes of the MPV. When you find the perfect car let me know. Only my Wife is Perfect and she always reminds me;) You can't be all the bad, my Sister lives in NJ also(Bergen Co):).

In the scheme of things, having a car with a fender bender, is small potatoes, as long as there are no injuries. My neighbor's brother was murdered Monday afternoon, shot 4 times by a deranged co-worker.

Pjd58
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Goodnight all.
  • liz2001liz2001 Posts: 3
    My husband and I are looking at 2002 ES. A local dealer is offering invoice price with Mazda financing (0.0% apr for 48 months, nothing due until Jan. 2003). Seems good to me but my honey points out this is essentially a one-year old car as 2003 due out any time now. Thinks we can hold out a few months and get a better price. We're in no huge hurry but my station wagon is getting smaller and smaller with every car pool I run. Do you "pros" have any thoughts on this price? Thanks.
  • Pretty much what they are going for. It is what allot of people are paying for a new 2002. I believe the 2003 will have a higher invoice price and it is unlikely they will discount significantly until the 2003 buzz wears off. I guess it depends how long you want to wait. If you can find a low 48 month interest rate, you may want to take the $2000 cash back. That is, tell the dealer you want invoice - $2000. Some folks are getting that deal. I didn't, it depends on your location. I took the 0% and paid $300 over invoice for a loaded ES in Midnight Blue Mica. Good Luck and don't give in to the dealer. Stay firm.
  • I went through the same process, just having gotten an lx a few days back. a couple of things made me decide to buy, but getting the vehicle for below invoice (with incentives)was a big factor. the 02 model year sold pretty well (with limited inventories left in local dealerships) and i agree with hoopofficial that you will have to pay above invoice for the 03 my. also, since i got the lx, the security package was a must for me. if you can wait it out till early to mid '03, maybe the prices will be lower. either way you'll end up with a good (if not great) van.

safe driving.