Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    No, I don't expect the Caravan to be more reliable than the MPV. I didn't say that, did I? I do look at the Caravan/T&C boards. I've owned two Caravans over the past 11 years and they've been very reliable. Reliability of the DC vans has been on the upswing in recent years, to the point even that CR can recommend them again. What I expect is that the '04 Caravan will provide me with the smaller size I want, the features I want, good ride and handling, great looks (better than the MPV IMO), at a price that is about $4000 less than the '04 MPV. For that difference, plus the Chrysler 7/70 warranty and the great service I've received from my Dodge dealer the past 11 years, I can accept worse predicted reliability for the Caravan than the MPV. If price were equal or even close, I'd prefer the MPV. But $4000 + interest is a big deal.
  • crissmancrissman Posts: 145
    Now that Mazda has seemed to have resolved the tranny problems I would certainly consider another MPV. However, the fix is still young. Time will tell. I think I never really stopped touting the virtues of my particular van "to anyone who would listen", but I did always mention troubles were occuring with the new model's transmissions.

Most of my mileage comes from the daily commute to work and getting my son to swim practices. I would guess the highway/urban ratio to be about 65/35. Normally when I fill-up I'm getting 21-22 mpg. The highest I've ever seen was 25 mpg on an all downhill, no AC jaunt to Savannah a couple months back.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,805
    Mazda chat starts in ~55 minutes. Link is on the left.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kolt1kolt1 Posts: 25
    Can you really get a comparably equipped Caravan (privacy glass, roof rack, traction control, folding rear seat, rear AC, transmission cooler, heavy duty battery, floor mats, etc.) with the same horsepower and torque for $4K less than an MPV. If you can, grab it and tell me where I can get one. That is one heckuva deal, even with some of the reliability problems DC vans have. The 7 yr. 70K mile powertrain warranty is nice also, even if it is a prorated warranty.
    Yes, I am sure I can get the Caravan that has the features I want (that is what I said in my earlier post if you'll recall) for about $4K less than an MPV that has the features I want. The Caravan at that price would have some things the MPV does not have, and the MPV would have some things the Caravan does not have. You can get a Caravan at this price in the Twin Cities; the dealer that has advertised the lowest price lately is Hopkins Dodge, $16.8k w/o ABS. ABS adds about $500, but there will be an additional $500 off in a couple of weeks when the local auto show comes (annual promotion). It will apply to the MPV too. I figured that in when I estimated the MPV at around $21k. The problem will be getting a '04 Caravan SXT in a few weeks; the '05s are already out and the '04s are in short supply. And who knows what the rebates will be after March 1. Another option is getting a '03 MPV; there's a couple of dozen of those around the Twin Cities based on ads and inventory searches.

Now, since this isn't a comparison board, let's let people get back to talking about MPVs, shall we?
  • kolt1kolt1 Posts: 25
    be a lesson to everyone else. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    the big, bad Host didn't have to come in with the Big Stick and tell us to behave like good MPVers.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    I've read where some folks have posted that the tranny in the MPV doesn't have a filter, but only a screen. Others have stated that it does have a filter. What is the correct answer? Also, if I were to remove the drain plug to drain the tranny (as opposed to doing a complete flush), how many quarts would it take to refill it?
    Thanks for all the inputs :(
    .....every time I post a message in here, everyone else stops posting until someone else comes along and changes the subject? I know there are poeple in this forum who have changed their own fluid and would be able to answer my questions. Where are you?
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    everyone is out enjoying the warmer weather. :-) or they can't login to Edmunds ;)

-Brian
    This time of the year, I know the nice weather doesn't last this long.
    ....I called our local Mazda service dept today. This is what they said. The '02 and newer trannies do have a filter, but you don't ever need to change it, even if you change your own fluid. He also scheduled me for Thursday to have the reflash done to fix the hard shifting problem. We'll see if this is really the cure.
    you could try the Problems board. I know you know of the 'other' site as well. ;)

-Brian
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,805
    Maybe someone will talk to you at the Mazda chat tonight. Starts in 80 minutes - link's on the left.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

....I've eveer seen this thread this dead. Where is everybody?
    the number of posts overall in TH are down a bit since the upgrade. *shrug*

-Brian
  • I'm over 30K miles and my tires show it. I have a 2002 MPV ES and I have the 17 inch wheels. I'd like to keep the current tire size. Any suggestions. And yes, the posts are pretty quiet.
    tirerack doesn't list much in the OEM size 17", you'll find the OEM Dunlops listed though, if you like 'em. Otherwise, you can try some of the slightly different 17" tires they list - like the 225/50-17. A bit more selection, if anything. I'd point you to a listing of tire sizes for the MPV, but TH wouldn't like that much. Basically if you can find a 17" tire that stays within +/-2% of the original size, you *should* be ok, keeping in mind that whatever size you go with that is NOT OEM will yield a different speedo and odo reading.

Any brand preferences? What kind of tire you in search of - touring, performance?

-Brian
  • oldmedicoldmedic Posts: 78
    Subearu is right the oem size selection is very limited and expensive. I think 225/55 17 is the best alternative. Increases the number of available brands to select from and maintains a near oem diameter and width especially with Japanese brands as they tend to run narrower. Check the "specs" on tirerack.com of tires to see if their diameter and width are similar.
    My questions have been sitting in here for a week with no responses. The second someone else comes in and changes the subject, people reply right away. Why does everyone in here hate me?
    it's just that no one currently monitoring this board knows the answer to your question. This isn't Mazda Technical Support, and there is no Service Level Agreement for answering questions.
    we already discussed this somewhere else on the 'net ;-)

I guess just wait until 30k and get the pan dropped and filter cleaned.

Working on AT's is not our cup-o-tea. It's a sensitive beast I guess. Tires are easy!

-Brian
  • Mazda will no longer offer the mpv for the US market after 3 straight years of declining sales. The top mazda officials admit the current mpv cannot compete with the bigger minivan offering from Honda and Toyota.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Where does this information come from? Personally I doubt it. After spending money to freshen it up for 2004 MY just discontinue. Plus it sells not too bad AFAIK.
    That would be too bad, if true. The MPV is the only short minivan available with a stowable rear seat, and it's more fun to drive than the short DC vans. I see tons of late-model MPVs in my town, although I have yet to see a '04 driving around.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Posts: 247
    Geneva Auto Show here on the Edmund's site and check out the Mazda4 MX-Flexa. Reports state that it will replace the MVP but will it come to NA? Smaller than the present MPV yet sporty and practical powered by the 160hp 4 cylinder engine from the Mazda6. Looks sharp and will be in a market all it's own. Honda and Toyota may fight back with a redesigned Stream/Latitude or the JDM Odyssey which is rumored may come as an Acura. Toyota has their WISH, Avensis Wagon and Corolla Verso which would all be in the same market as the Flexa.
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    It will be a long while before this vehicle makes it to the USA, as it is only a concept vehicle now. Also, it better be a lot smaller and lighter than the current MPV if it will only come with a 4 cylinder engine. People in the USA like big engines, V6 and V8 with 200-300 hp. Mazda made a mistake a few years ago when they underpowered the MPV with a 2.5 liter,160hp 6cyl.
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    I guess my "racing days" are long past but I own one of those "underpowered MPV with a 2.5 liter,160hp 6cyl." I haven't been in a position yet that I wished for more power. I find that mobility (dash and dart) to get out of the way of the A.J. Foyts on the roads is more comforting. My '01 cruises at 80mph with everyone else - it may take me 4.3 seconds longer to get to that speed but I stop and smell the flowers sometimes - or my dog who won't get out of my lap!