Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• vinnygvinnyg Posts: 57
    Mchuchra

Yes, that was for the front wheels, non OEM. I bought Raybestos rotors and Beck/Arnley pads including delivery for $89.48 at rockauto.com. Their prices are excellent. The braking is smooth as silk now. The place I go to for repairs wanted $514.56 for the job, including bleeding and flushing the system as well as turning the rear drums, which do not need to be cut. I rarely buy replacement parts from the dealer, because they are such a rip-off.

By the way, if you get a set of snows mounted on the steel wheels, I would skip the hub caps they offer. They are very difficult to install without cracking. They sent me a replacement one for no charge, but that one and another cracked very easily as I attempted to install them. Just letting you know from personal experience I had with them. Take care.
  • I got those two recall notices for my '03 MPV LX back in late summer. I just had my wife take the car in to the dealer today (3 mos. later) to get those items repaired. Hopefully it went well.
  • VinnyG,

Thanks for all the tips. I just checked out rockauto.com and have bookmarked it for future purchases.

I was preparing to place my order for the snowtires today and was thinking about getting the wheel covers since they are only ~$25 or so for the full set of four... But if you really think they are junk, I guess I should not. But doesn't the car look a bit naked without them? And do you think they provide some measure of extra weather protection to the brakes, hubs, etc?
  • Subearu,

How or why did you conclude that the dealer did NOT use the "new, improved" part in your with your PCV recall repair?
  • Hi,

I have read over the last few months of posts and noticed a few folks mentioning a tranny TSB. My '03 MPV LX occassionally seems to have a rough shift when the engine is cold (I think it happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd, or maybe 2nd to 3rd). Is that sympomatic of the problem related to the Transmission TSB? If an MPV is still under warranty, are TSBs like this one covered under the warranty or do they charge you for the repair (I just don't know the difference between a TSB and recall, so I'm hoping one of my fellow MPV-ers can shed some light on that matter...
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Yes, that is exactly the symptomology of the problems related to the transmission TSB.Which they call "shift shock" or hard shift. There are two TSB's out that I know of...depending on when your MPV was manufactured.I recently read info reguarding the TSB's on this subject matter at the MPV Club. Yes, the work is done under warranty(unless your van has over 50,000 miles)I believe a recall is when they replace a defective item that has been problematic throughout the particular vehicle make/model.With this particular problem,"shift shock", all they have to do is run a different program thru the transmission control module.TSB's tell the mechanics in a step by step manner how to fix the problem.The vast majority of owners who have had this done have not had any further problems.
  • The software update/fix can be referenced by the name "MSP03", it covers the 03-04 mpvs. I guess a recall is a service to perform required by the government after an investigation. I don't mine around April, 2004. No hard shift experienced, but the shift from first to second isn't a smooth operation.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    they did use the new part in the pcv repair I had - which happened before the recalls were sent out. when I took it in for the recall, they confirmed the part was the correct one and didn't have to replace it again.

-Brian
    MCHUCHRA,

Yes I would guess they would provide extra protection and the car definately looks better with the caps on. If you don't mind spending the $25 or so, go for it. I was just letting you know I cracked 2 of them rather easily.

By the way, which tires are you going with and will they be 15's or 16's, and what did you think about rockauto's prices? Take care-
  • VinnyG,

I didn't do any side by side price comparisons, but Rockauto's prices looked very favorable. I do like to do some of my own car repair (stuff like brakes is within my realm of capabilities) when I can, so I'll definitely keep Rockauto in mind next time I need to buy parts.

As far as the snow tires, I am officially VERY bummed out. I was all set on buying the Kumhos KW-11s from Tirerack, mounted on 15 inch steel wheels. I think the Kumhos were exactly what I was looking for (relatively inexpensive, durable, relatively quiet on dry roads, etc.) I went to the TireRack website yesterday and could not find them. It turns out that they just ran out of stock and will not be reordering! I even called to confirm. I spent sometime "googling" to see if I could find another online merchant that sells those Kumhos KW11s and mounts on steel wheels and could not find one. I don't know what to do. Any ideas of any other tire merchants that might carry the Kumhos and steel wheels?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,219
    Did you try the dealer locater at Kumhotireusa.com? Maybe Sears could order you some.

link

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,219
    The upcoming Mazda 5 is a cousin to Ford's European Focus. We take a sneak peek here.

Talk about it over in Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Mchuchra,

Sorry, I don't know of any other merchants that carry the Kumhos. The only thing that I can tell you (which doesn't help at all) is that I replaced the OEM Dunlops that were shot at 30,000 miles with all season Kumhos for a great price from The Tirerack, and they are holding up very well, so I would think that the Kumho snows would be a good choice as well. Good luck in your quest.
  • I just test drove and 04 LX with 270 mile on it. Overall I was impressed with the engine upgrade and the exterior restyling. However, I cannot beleive the interior carpeting, it looks and feels like indoor outdoor carpeting.

I can live with it, but I wondered if anyone can tell me how it holds up and how easy/hard it is to clean. And when did they change the carpeting, my 01 looks like luxury carpeting after seeing the 04.

Thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
    Just a couple of shopping days left until Christmas... avoid the holiday crush and join us for an evening of automotive chat and good cheer!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    We put down small matching in color area rugs in the back where the kids sit to help protect the carpet. You could also scottsguard it. To me the carpet looks fine though.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Posts: 278
    Several things.

Has anyone here heard/done about adding the silver circles within the gauge area like the 2004 and newer MPV's have? I know there is a kit you can buy ( $120-$180), but wanted to know how to pull out the gauge area to snap them in...just to add some class to the gauges I guess.

Also, went in today for the latest recall notice regarding rear heat/not getting good heat. I have the 4 Season Pkg..

With the temps below zero in the Twin Cities now, I find that the heater on my MPV really sucks. You have to have the fan on full blast and dial all the way over to keep the cabin comfortable...anyone else had a fix on this issue??
    I now remember this being a problem last winter, but it was not as cold as it is now and I forgot about it since then.

ONE MORE THING: Has anyone had that creaking sound in the front end when it's below 20 degrees?? I went over some speed bumps and heard this horrid sound form the front...I DID go at a slow speed too! I called my local friendly Mazda dealer and they said it was normal; plastic rubs and gets cold and creaks. You would think they would have a better design for this issue...?!?

Thank you.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Our '02 ES heats very well IMO, front and back. I think we have the temp selector set to 2 or 3 clicks from max on both, seems to be fine for the 7F it's been. I know there is a valve in the engine bay that is supposed to be ON in order for the rear heat to function. Not sure if having it partially ON would affect things.

I think there is a TSB to trim some plastic that can rub against one of the front struts.

-Brian
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    I have always had the strut noise in every vehicle I have owned when it gets really cold. (Of course, three out of the 4 new vehicles I have owned have been mazdas, go figure).

You might want to check out the TSB though...that sounds interesting.

Our 02' ES heats extremely well...we have only gotten down around 10 degrees here in Northern Virginia this winter, though I don't recall having problems in the past either.
    ANYBODY KNOW IF THE CUPHOLDER/ASHTRAY UNIT IS REMOVABLE ON MY '03 LX, AND IF SO, HOW DOES IT COME OUT? I WANT TO GIVE IT A GOOD CLEANING AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO REMOVE IT. THANKS.....
    Not sure if/how it can be removed. Mine was rattling so bad though that I had my friendly dealer lube and tighten it up last week at no charge. I now have 40K miles on my 03 and hate rattles. It DOES need a cleaning with spilt coffees and pop at times!!
    Again, has anyone removed the plastic facing on the gauge area to install chrome trim rings to the gauges on their 03 or older MPV? I heard that this can be done with much care. I am thinking of ordering the rings online from a contact in TX. I have worked with...but am concern about removing the bezel and breaking something myself!! This may sound a bit anal, but I'd like to dress up the gauge area a bit like the 04-05's have.
  • elieelie Posts: 15
    I own a 2002 MPV ES. Great van--only annoyance at moment (at 18K Miles)--is that there is a lot of rattling from the moonroof if the interior sliding panel is open, even if the actual glass panel is closed. It makes quite a racket. Any one have the same experience, and is there anything that will help (or are rattles just something one has to live with)??
    I have an 03 that had that same issue. My local 'friendly' Mazda dealer had to tighten it up under warranty. This was after about 30K miles.

Must be a 'normal' thing.
  • at 27k, we just finished a 340 mile trip with 3 adults and 2 kids, 90% highway at 70 mph and rain much of the way. It gave me 27.4 mpg!

I am very pleased with the MPV, it has performed flawlessly. The only issues have been the recalls for the foglights, PCV hose, and door sticker. I like the Duratec and 5 speed very much, they work well together. The Duratec has much less required maintenance than my Subaru.

John
    I went into my friendly Mazda dealer again today to pursue what the problem is with lack of heat in my 03 MPV. They adjusted the 'door' which is controlled with the heater dial. Otherwise, they said it's normal that the MPV does not heat up as fast as a car or some other vans on the market. Nice to hear that in the land of 10000 iced over lakes!! (aka; MN.)

Does everyone elses temp gauge register about 1/4 up the dial at full warm-up?? I think that seems rather low. My camry runs about half way on it's gauge.
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    and the heater will cook you unless you turn it down from full hot. We have the 4 seasons pkg with the rear heat. Maybe that makes a difference.

-Jason
  • gauge is 1/2 way up the dial. Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open.

John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
    Hope you can join us tonight for the first chat of the new year. Everything automotive is fair game, and the planning continues for our "meet up" to the Philadelphia Auto Show in Feb! Hope to see you there!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Join us for the '05 season of chat! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ldl20ldl20 Posts: 10
    You know, it's just my luck. Wife, 2-year old daughter. We had been eyeing the MPV since 2002. Finally get a good deal on a new one in Oct. of 04, and promptly watch it's value drop like a ton of bricks. Those incentives are great at the time of purchase, but they come back to bite you if you want to sell. I was looking to sell it (new job--it's a long story), but I couldn't even give it away. With taxes, and all the other fees and options, I paid 22,400 for my LX. Four weeks later, my dealer wanted to give me 15,500 if I traded it in. Here's the best part. In Oct., they had only 2 used MPVs (old 2.5 engine, not interested). Now, they have over 10 (seriously) 2004s with about 15K miles on them for anywhere between 17 and 18,000. Anyone else have similar gripes about the resale values of their MPVs? Thanks. LDL20