Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Do you know when the last shipments of MPV'S...ever...will come in from Japan? :cry: I'm guessing end of July.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    not sure..but this allocation is for March production and May arrival...only 215 MPV's are allocated to the NE region for the remainder of the year. The NE is the strongest region for Mazda so I suspect other regions will even have less availability.....also the orderbank is weighted towards 'SV' models.
  • Thanks for the reply jipster. One more question. Do you know if they mount using the trim screw holes and line up perfect, or do you have to drill holes and measure yourself?

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    Sorry Jimmy..I do not know. Anybody else have an idea??
  • crissmancrissman Posts: 145
    Just about to pull the plug on my 2000 MPV with 112K miles. It's been a good run. This has been probably one of my most trouble free vehicles, at least since my '79 626. Not perfect, but close. I did have to bite the bullet and get a new battery a few months back. The brakes are still original and it's never needed a tune-up. Only three troubles that I've been able to easily live with. It's made the "moosing" noise on first starting in cold weather for a few years, the CD changer packed it in a couple years back (probably from disuse since I mainly listen to the radio), and the driver's window gets hung up if lowered more than a couple inches (I can get it back up with some tugging). So, I've basically escaped with only normal maintenence. Not too shabby, I'd say. Kudos to Mazda.
    Good to hear about your MPV. What are you getting in it's place?
  • nlsnls Posts: 65
    No alternator failure, no coolant leak from rear heat lines? Guess you weren't in the snow belt, or else you were extremely lucky. Did you ever get the IAC valve replaced for the "moosing" noise? How about tires - assume you didn't make it to 112K with OEM tires!
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Posts: 90
    Jimmy, those on 02 MPV fit in the trim holes except for the front ones, for the front ones you suppose to drill one hole on each side, but I did not yet, it holds just on those 2m or so which were awailable.
  • crissmancrissman Posts: 145
    The alternator held up just fine. No rear heat in this one. Only need rear air here in the South. I never bothered getting the IAC valve replaced since the "moosing" only lasted for a few minutes in the mornings or on cold weather starts and never happened for most of the year. I'm on the third set of tires now. I used Michelins for replacements for the OEM Dunlops. That reminds me, never needed an alignment either. My new ride is an '06 Civic EX. Quite a change from dear old Mazdie. Unfortunately, my wife's old '95 Odyssey packed it in unexpectantly almost two months ago. After towing it to the dealer we concluded it wiser to trade for the Civic than fix it. The Mazda will be traded, possibly tomorrow, for either an '05 Volvo V70 or an '06 Mazda 6 Wagon. We really didn't want to be buying two new cars, but what can you do.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    anyone use Falken Ziev 512's to replace the 'lops (215/60R16)? They have the 95H weight rating, A's on temp, traction, HR on speed and 420 treadwear. #1 rating and $59 delivered from Discount Tire.

Plus I hear they are very quiet. I can't find the original 'lops anywhere, and the improved? version is well over $100 each.

John
  • Which would you buy? I am looking to get something for the front end to try and keep rock chips from doing too much damage. I know the full front bra covers everything nicely, but is the upkeep a pain, and does it remove / install easy? The price difference between the two is about $45. Anyone have any experience with either one?

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    I got the bug guard(hood deflector) on my 04 MPV after getting a couple chips on front hood area. I had read the bra was a bit of a pain to install and maintain...and could cause wear on paint if not careful.

The hood deflector(from Mazda dealership) was fairly easy to put on...and is easy to take off.(which is what some people do when washing or waxing...I just leave it on and work around it) Be careful when installing though. I broke a little plastic fastner and the dealer wanted like $48 for a replacement kit.I ended up buying some fastners at Auto zone for a couple bucks...then drilling a hole in the fastening clip a bit wider. No more chips since installation. ;)
  • Thanks jipster. I will probably order the bug shield tomorrow. I figured the front bra would be a pain to upkeep and I was worried about scratching the paint. I will be careful and try not to break any of the clips. ;)
  • I am researching vans - Japanese to be precise. I am replacing an 01 Chev Venture - no need to ask why if you go on to the forum for those. Nightmare - almost paid for the vehicle twice with all the repairs in past 2 1/2 yrs since I bought it at two years of age!

So - for those who own 2002 Mazda MPV's - what do you think? I am looking at the LX or ES models. Please help me make up my mind - ASAP!!
    One common complaint about the 2002+ MPV's with the 3.0L engine seems to be the "hard shift", but a reflash of the TCM has helped in many cases. But there are still some people who say that it hasn't helped at all, and there have also been some reports of transmission failure. So you might want to get an extended warranty, at least on the power train, if you are considering a 2002.
  • On the contrary, 2002's generally had impeccable transmission credentials.

It was the 2003-4 where the tranny programming was tweaked to try and improve mpg that suffered the problems.

Our 2002 LX has been trouble free in 41,000 miles.

We just replace the OEM Dunlops with Falken Ziev512's. These tires are # 1 CR rated, 95H weight, "H" speed and "A" temp and "A" traction with a 420 treadwear.

$59 at DiscountTireDirect. They are quiet and we like them and the price.

John
    Good to hear that your 2002 is not having any problems, but there are quite a few postings in other MPV forums which I am not allowed to mention here, about transmission issues on 2002+ models. The other issue that has been reported on those models is coil failures.
  • of course I can't comment on the other folks...

At one point CR had a "black" high rating on the 2002 tranny and lower ratings on the 2003-4.

Not sure what it is now, I haven't checked in a while...

John
  • We currently have a Dodge Caravan with quad seating. We usually leave one of the seats out, which gives us lots of extra room and makes it easier to get in and out of.

Are either of the middle-row seats easily removable in the MPV? We'd probably look at a model new to 3 years old.
    Mine is a 2000, and the two middle seats are very easy to remove. They don't weigh all the much, either. I don't think the design has changed for the later models, so you should be fine with them. Of course the rear-most seat folds down flat into the recessed cargo area, opening up plenty of space in the rear.
  • The Mazda MPV is quite often overlooked in the mini-van market place. It offers a great blend of features and versatility.

Don't let the MPV's smaller appearance fool you... Mazda's opti-spacing engineering gives you plenty of useful room inside and is by far one of the best handling, and sportiest looking, mini-vans available.

The middle row has the slide and glide feature... you can have second row captains with a center walk through or a second row bench with passenger side access.

The middle row seats are able to recline,slide forward and backward, and fold over. They can be removed quite simply.

The third row can stow in the rear deep well for cargo. When up, the third row can recline or fold over. Also very unique, the third row can flip over rearward to offer tailgate seating out of the rear of the MPV.

The Mazda MPV is a great value when it comes to all things considered. Price, performance, content are awesome attributes when buying a new one but also exceptional factors when it comes to purchasing a pre-owned.

ZOOM ZOOM
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    I went to the Philly Auto Show on Feb 4th, 06. got a good look at alot of vehicles. The MPV jumped right up onto the list on poss. replacements for our '01 Escape XLT 4WD. The nice thing is that it's not as large as the GCV or the ODY on the out side but boy-howdy is there alot of room on the inside. We got 6 6'+ 250lbs+ adults into the MPV with 2 strollers we borrowed from 2 passing families just to see if it would all fit. Guess what, it did and all 6 of us were comfortable and it was easy to get in and out.
    My list for replacemnents include;
    1. '06 Pontiac SV6
    2. '06 Mazda MPV LX
    3. '06 Ford Freestyle SEL
    4. '06 Nissan Quest SL

The Quest might be dropping off the radar with the price limit that we have to deal with.
    As for the MPV we would end up with the LX model in Strat Blue Mica (or Shadow Gray) with gray/black int. for options, we would go for the LX package, Sport Package, Side mother-in-laws, Traction Control, Roof rack, and Trailer hitch mount (for bike carrier) which would bring full total of $27,090 before any rebates / incentives.

Odie
  • I bought an 05 Quest SL last year for $25,175 with a few options. The MPV has it's plusses but we really like our Quest. Resale is much better.

We also priced a Dodge Caravan SXT (not Grand Caravan - the shorter version). You can buy one for $20,000 or so.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    From all I've seen and heard....all the comments on various boards etc....it's nothing but positive for the next/new generation MPV. People are actually lusting after this vehicle. As much as I like the Mazda5....the new MPV would suit our needs even better. Size-wise, it's 2" longer, over an inch wider, but 2" lower than the current MPV. It's wheelbase is almost 5" longer than the current one. Not sure what engines are available, save for the 2.3l turbo 4. While performance with this engine should be amazing (and it's available with a 6-speed manual!!!), I would have concerns about fuel economy (The Mazdaspeed6 is rated at about 23/33 imperial....not bad but not great) and the fact it needs at least 91 octane (93 recommended).
    Perhaps an efficient V6 would be more practical. My rub against the '5' is that, for a 'multi-activity' vehicle, those activities don't include towing....even something fairly light like a jet-ski, single snowmobile or 14' aluminum fishing boat. The new MPV would be more than competent in this regard. With WOW features like the 'La-z-boy' reclining middle seats etc., this vehicle could be a major hit. A 'just right' size minivan that would actually be fun to drive. Many others are writing Mazda to make them reconsider bringing this to the US/Canada. Maybe we should too. (I'd take this over a CX-9 any day)
    Agree with bringing the 2007 MPV to the US. I'd prefer the 2.3l turbo 4...which produces something like 250hp?
    2" lower would also make the already excellent handling of the MPV awesome. Mazda says the MPV has the body of a minivan and the soul of a sports car..the 2007 would really prove it. The La-z-boy recliners would be great when the kids become lazy-ole teenagers. The bigger size would be good..but don't know if it would be big enough to compete with the maxi minis from Honda, Nissan and GM. May need an extra inch or two in width and length. I'd be willing to bet though that if overseas sales of the MPV are really hot, Mazda will eventually bring the MPV back to the U.S/Canada in 2008 or 2009.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    If they can better the Odyssey's and Sienna's gas mileage, while coming in at a more affordable price, I don't think they'd have to worry too much about growing an inch or two more. I think the Ody, Sienna and Quests etc. of this world are too big now....this new MPV is right on. Has some interesting features too, not the least of which is the 3rd row, which folds flat, but doesn't flip over back into the well like the current one does. But you still get the well (covered), which you can use whether the seats are in use or not.
    The only area that I think would need that extra inch or two(added onto the already larger dimensions of the 2007 MPV)would be in the third row seating. It can handle two adults and a small child fairly well...but 3 regular size adults is a bit of a pinch. We'll be ready for another minivan in about 5 more years...hopefully it will be here by then.
  • Thanks for the info jimmy1969. I have the same problem...I'm missing a small fastening clip on my 2002 Mazda MPV and the dealer wants me to buy an entire new bug deflector. It would be a terrible waste if I did that. Would you please give me some more guidance on how you found your fastener. I went on the "autozone.com" web site and could not locate any fastener clips. Would appreciate your help on this! Thanks.
    "and the dealer wants me to buy an entire new bug deflector"

LOL...this sounds like a joke from someone in my fan club.
    I'm a bit surprised your dealer didn't suggest buying an entire new minivan that came with a bug deflector. ;)

The replacement kit for the bug deflector contains fasteners, brackets and the 3m tape to install the shield. Any Mazda dealership can order it if they know what they are doing. But, for $48(?) less...you can run over to autozone(or anything similar) and pick out an assortment of the plastic fasteners similar to the one used on the bug deflector for 2 or 3 bucks. The closest matched fastener was a little to big for the hole in the metal bracket. So , I drilled the hold in the fastener out a bit, and it works fine.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    There is currently $2,000 in customer cash available in Birmingham for the 2006 MPV. The new 2005 models have $4,000 available! What a steal on a sporty van!

See, a new post for you, jip!