Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    Most everyone complains about the gear selector. Not very smart for Mazda to have designed it like that.

Our 2002 Escape had a gear selector in about the same position. I wish I had a dollar for every time I and my wife almost knocked the tranny into "N" while just trying to change the radio station or volume. The MPV's steering wheel audio controls, same wheel and buttons as my 6 BTW, allieviate the blocked radio problem but it blocked one of the HVAC knobs too. I forget which one but it brought back bad memories.

But hey, we're cool. It get's kind of slow on the MPV boards at times, so your input and contributions are welcome. Again, good luck with your Explorer.

Thanks, and same to you with your MPV. Having two kids ourselves, 2 weeks and 2 years old, we are leasing the Explorer to be able to weigh our options again in three years. I like Mazda's a lot and I hope they do have something to offer us again when that time comes.

the thing that impressed me the most about our MPV was the overall quality and fit and finish. No rattles whatsoever. Except for you I can't recall anyone complaining about rattles in their MPV.

There was one coming from the hatch area and somewhere near the passenger A-pillar. Could have been due to the cold weather but they were there. Build quality IS very good on the MPV but no manufacturer is perfect. Even Lexus' have rattles from time to time.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Got to TD the MPV (LX with LX package). Took it for about a 40 min TD on Highway, Side (paved) and Back (not so paved) roads. I have to admit it road nice and sound was not an issue (radio was turned off) even with 35 mph crosswinds on the highway. Unfortinately my wife was not with me, but the MPV actually put my 3yr old daughter to sleep and she hates any vehicle that's not BIG BLUE (Escape). I thought it handled pretty close to the Escape with a little better refinement for the suspension. I got to try out her car seat in both the 2nd and 3rd row and was very easy in and out. I also brought her old infant seat with us (going to be using after beging of JULY). As for the column shifter I actually prefer having it over a center console due to my longer legs. Having a center console that is connected to the center dash constricts against my knees. There were not as many blind spots as I thought there would be, and I was pretty happy with it. I'm sure with the added All-sport package (including sport suspension) it will ride even nicer.

Now I just need to get my wife to TD one.

Odie
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    sorry about the spelling....when I post on edmunds I'm usually on the sales desk and working deals at the same time I'm posting so sometimes I go a little faster than I should. But your point about the vehicle debate is very valid. If somebody dislikes a vehicle there is no reason to go on a crusade of half truths and partial facts. But one thing I have learned about the car biz....perception is reality for alot of folks and no amount of facts will stand in the way of that perception.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    What's your take on the 2007 MPV not coming to the U.S audia8q? I can't help but think Mazda is wanting to distance itself somewhat from the current generation of MPV...then bring in the new version in about 3 or 4 years. Just in time for baggs when that Explorer comes off lease. ;)

With a 274hp turbocharged engine, AWD,6 speed with available stick, more room with a wider and lower profile, reclining second row seats etc...the new MPV would be a true ZOOM ZOOM of a minivan. i.e "The body of a minivan and the soul of a sports car"
    I think the new MPV looks pretty good...but regretfully traditional minivans have become somewhat out of fashion. Perhaps the current idea of a minivan has somewhat run its course...Ford has some design ideas for future 'people movers' that seem to make people movers 'cool and fashionable'....I suspect Mazda will be in on this also...
  • edesigned for '07 doesn't help me right now. We liked everything else about the Quest and it was really the only full size minivan we considered, but that whole center layout was just awful. Glad to hear they woke up and fixed it.
    We have five different drivers who use it, including several self-professed "minivan haters." After 10-20 minutes in the vehicle the central controls disappeared as an issue.

We had a fellow follow the Quest up to VT in his Explorer. The Quest averaged a little over 22 mpg for the trip. He averaged a little under 15. So as long as you are willing to pay 5 cents a mile more for having your speedometer a foot to the left - hey, it's a free country!

The MPV has roughly 1 1/2 times the interior volume of the Explorer and gets similar mileage to the comparison above. So the fuzzy dice reference was really a way of saying that frame on body SUV's are old news.
    The MPV has roughly 1 1/2 times the interior volume of the Explorer and gets similar mileage to the comparison above. So the fuzzy dice reference was really a way of saying that frame on body SUV's are old news.

So are top-heavy vehicles that don't come with side curtain air bags and stability control.

Other reasons we chose the Explorer include 1. Can't take an MPV, or Quest for that matter, on the beach in a couple of places we go to over here in the East. 2. Drive through several inches of snow to pick up a pizza or an emergency pack of diapers.

That's just two that come to mind right now.

We had a fellow follow the Quest up to VT in his Explorer. The Quest averaged a little over 22 mpg for the trip. He averaged a little under 15. So as long as you are willing to pay 5 cents a mile more for having your speedometer a foot to the left - hey, it's a free country!

No, I don't mind paying 5 cents more per mile and BTW, 15 MPG on the highway is really low and pretty much unheard of judging by what other Explorer V6 owners are getting on other dedicated Explorer forums. Are you guys sure you calculated right? I did research the gas mileage issue and the difference in total monthly fuel cost, based on how much we drive, between the MPV and Explorer was $30 max.

Furthermore, my father-in-law averaged 19-20 MPG in his 2002 Explorer EB V6 through the highway system around PA, WV and OH. Lots of hills and curves here too as in VT. He's getting about the same with his new '06 Explorer EB V8 on the highway, and in fact, 15 MPG wasn't even his city avg but rather 16 MPG was (Our '05 Escape was averaging 16 mpg as well). Again, plenty of hills and curves in this city too.

After 10-20 minutes in the vehicle the central controls disappeared as an issue.

Good for them. I'm not going to buy a vehicle I have to adjust to. Plus, that issue will never disappear for me. I don't let things like that out of my head and consider it an inconvenience.

Bottom line is, we bought what we need and liked the most. We didn't need all of the space a minivan provides and couldn't use it anyway because the kids are in car seats and will be for a long time. Plus you have to store those second row seats somewhere to use all of that extra room which is out of the question too. If DCX could make the Caravan/T&C a bit nicer inside and out we might have one of those instead. Stow & Go rules in this category IMO.

You guys should also test drive an '06 Explorer before you judge it too. It's not the same old Explorer. Things do change. ;)
  • 2. Drive through several inches of snow to pick up a pizza or an emergency pack of diapers.
    You can drive it through more than several inches of snow of you get snow tires - and turn and stop to boot! We put Michelin X-Ice on the Quest; Nokian RSI's on the Subaru and Honda.

There's a "giant Winter traction Test" on Canadiandriver.
    You can drive it through more than several inches of snow of you get snow tires - and turn and stop to boot! We put Michelin X-Ice on the Quest; Nokian RSI's on the Subaru and Honda.

Very true. However I can drive through several inches of snow in my Mazda6, or the MPV we test drove, with snow tires too. Problem is, I have to sacrifice handling when it's dry and the snow tires are on as well as go out and purchase 4 new wheels and tires to do so. Too much of an inconvenience, and an unnecessary expense for us right now. The Explorer will do snow, ice, sand, mud, gravel, etc. right out of the box.

When the boys are older it will be a different story because they can help me change those tires. ;) Hence the lease on the Explorer. We'll re-evaluate our needs in three years.

As for the turning and stopping, the Explorer has 4-wheel discs and ABS with EBD just like the Quest and weighs roughly the same, so they will both stop alike. Turning in the Explorer is aided by the standard AdvanceTrac with RSC (the latter is a patented Volvo system) so I'm not worried about that anymore. I would have been with the Quest or MPV because they don't have stability control or roll control standard.

Again, our wants and needs were written down, and analyzed and we feel we purchased the vehicle that minimized sacrifices and compromises. It isn't great at any one thing but it's pretty darn good at everything.
    Well, My wife said we have to wait a bit till we can get the new vehicle. I have been reading about the new CX-9 (replacement for the MPV) and I'm surprised that mazda is not going to keep the MPV in the line-up. The Tribute is not going to have a 2007 MY, the MPV is gone after '06, and the CX-9 is going to have a starting price of $38,000 (yes I types Thirty-eight) anhd it will not even have sliding doors. I think if we are not able to get a '06 MPV, we will have to settle on the SV6, but the SV6 and MPV are running very close to each other in our new vehicle search. The Freestyle is still there, but slowly dropping, and the Quest is out in the bullpen, but still in the game.

Odie
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    I hope that someone from Mazda is reading this...they have my perfect minivan for sale and I can't buy it.

I have owned Mazdas exclusively for the last 10 years, but at this exact moment, my next minivan looks to be a KIA. I can't even believe that I am saying that.

BUT...Kia is releasing the new Sedona in a short-wheelbase version. Their people are saying that this will be a "sporty" version. The same powerful 3.8 liter, firmer independent suspension, but nicely sized for parking and for those of us who don't want a mammoth.

The only van that could compare would be the latest MPV...hmmm...I can't buy that one!!!!!

It is a sad day when Kia is picking up the ZOOMZOOM mantra for an entire vehicle segment that Mazda has apparently abandoned.

Fortunately my current MPV will last me a few more years so Mazda has time to change their mind.
    Yeah but if you go to the Kia web site and check out the new 2006 Sedona, you will find that the 3.8ltr 244HP engine requires PREMIUM UNLEADED. Unless this thing will get 30+ MPG city, your going to need Immodium to stop the flow of cash coming out your rear for gas.

Odie
  • Hey everybody, my wife and i have about $15,000 to spend and I see plenty of low mileage MPV's for sale all over California, usually being former short-term rentals/shuttles. I drove an MPV and LOVED the way it drove, thought the interior was sweet and generally wife and I adored it. Problem is, I'm not sure if the reliability is up to the old school Mazda I grew up with. So many Ford parts, Duratec motor/Ford Transmission, I read in Consumer Reports about bad trannys and other things. JD Power rated it really low in mechanical quality. How do you think the Mazda stands vs. Dodge Caravan, Kia Sedona? My dad has a 1996 Mazda MPV and that thing is bullet proof!! He's driven that thing over 110,000 and only replaced batteries and tires! Has the same brakes on it as from factory, everything! Timing belt had to be changed, obviously, but that rig is solid!! That being said, it had a REAL Mazda engine, not a Ford. What do you guys think?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    my '02 LX has been bullet proof for 42k miles.

Duratec supposedly one of Ford's best, proven longevity and track record.

Tranny is from Japan, aside from some software issues on some of the years, it has been a solid unit.

No complaints here. I might swap it for a Mazda 5 diesel in couple years, otherwise I will keep it for at least 10 years.

John
  • nlsnls Posts: 65
    My advice would be to buy an extended warranty so that you are covered in case of serious problems. The Gen 1 MPV's seem to be more rugged than the Gen 2 MPV's, with lower maintenance and repair costs.
    The 3.0ltr duratec engine that is found in the MPV / Escape / Tribute / Ranger / B2000 is a Mazda Built engine. I have an '01 Escape XLT with it and have not had any problems. The '06 MPV is one of a few vehicles my wife and I are looking at as replacements for growing family.

Odie
    The 3.0ltr duratec engine that is found in the MPV / Escape / Tribute / Ranger / B2000 is a Mazda Built engine.

I beg to differ. The base engine was sent over to Japan from Ford. Mazda did some control work to it. It would be a stretch to call it a Japanese product.

John
    YES, you should buy a MPV. I did...and don't regret it one bit. About 14,000 miles on our 2004 and has been extremely reliable(knock on wood).

The only reason CR has downgraded the MPV from one of those most reliable, to not recommended, is because of the
    programming software issue with the trans. that was easily rectified. CR doesn't differentiate a mild software upgrade for the transmission to one that has the trans. falling out from beneath your vehilce. So, I wouldn't worry about that as it affected 2003 and early 2004 models.

The only Ford part I know about is the Duratec engine...one of their best. MPV is built in Japan...fit and finish, as well as overall quality, is outstanding in my opinion.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Posts: 158
    John,
    I've noticed in a few of your postings, mentioning about the M5 DIESEL?
    Where did you get that for US?
    Just curious....coming from Diesel Land of Europe.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    you probably saw the Euro article then.

Last update was that it was coming to Canada.

Mazda US surveys are asking about whether people will be interested in it.

It is only my opinion, but the US diesel version seems a logical next step once the fuel gets cleaned up here.

An no, I don't work for Mazda or Ford or any car maker, I am just a normal guy.

John
  • dan bitmandan bitman Posts: 158
    Unfortunately, there is a huge misconception in the US, about the Diesel engines.
    I was recently in Austria and drove a manual 6 spd Diesel M6 wagon....it's a ZOOM-ZOOM come true!!!
    Diesel technology ( in Europe) is light years ahead of what Diesel engines represent on some US trucks.
    Or it could be ( according to other folks I spoke with)...a political issue of not encouraging Diesel for the US auto-market.
    Now grasp that....

Thanks for clarifying, John
    huge misconception in the US, about the Diesel engines.

It is changing though. Even Pres. Bush publicly stated that he wanted the clean diesels coming in.

It just makes sense, from a global perspective, to get the best technology in place. I think the emissions bug-a-boo will eventually get addressed. Then once we get a funtional modern diesel engine car available in all 50 states, the word will spread.

Mercedes (IIRC) is planning on being in all 50 this fall, with their Blu-tec engines and technology.

John
  • Well my wife and I found a buyer for our Civic, selling it officially tomorrow and then we need to HURRY and buy a minivan!! I'm really worried about getting an MPV since my dad's mechanic (a local garage who works on foreign autos) told me he "quit working on MPV's." He said they're becoming tough to find parts for and less reliable. He said it wouldn't be a van he'd buy. And there is NO MAZDA DEALER in my town, closest is about 50 miles away. I'm worried that, since they're getting rid of the MPV and won't produce them in North America in 2007 that there will be a scarcity of parts. Also, worried about resale value taking a nose-dive because that's usually what happens when brands are dropped. In five years will people say, "Mazda M-P-what??" We have about $15,000 to spend and I REALLY LOVE THE MPV, drove great, fit and finish was sweet and it was overall awesome. I'm just worried about practicality here...
    Legitimate concerns, but $15,000 will put you in a very nice 2004 or 2005 MPV. If you get a 2004 make sure the built on date is after March...that is when Mazda corrected the transmission computer glitch problem. Which is the primary reason the MPV has fallen in reliability. In early 2004 the MPV was rated tied for most reliable minivan in Consumer Reports.

Don't know why you mechanic would have a problem finding parts. I believe every manufactuer is required by law to prodvide parts for any vehicle they sell for up to 3 to 5 years(?)after its discontinuance. It's not like the Mazda MPV's parts aren't used by other models and makes. The Ford Duratec engine is used in 4 or 5 other vehilces. Japanese trans. is widely used as well.

Resale? If you keep it 6 or 7 years resale won't matter much. The MPV will remain a cult favorite I believe. A true quality built "smaller" minivan that handles very well and doesn't ride like a bus. If any serious problems crop up you can drive 50 miles to the Mazda dealer...your local mechanic should be able to handle all the other stuff. Good luck gurney...you'll be fine because you have thought everything out. ;)

P.S I'm betting Mazda will bring back the all new MPV model in 2 or 3 years...ZOOOOOOOOMMMM ZOOOOOMMMM ZoooMMM
    ....my dad's mechanic (a local garage who works on foreign autos) told me he "quit working on MPV's." He said they're becoming tough to find parts for and less reliable.....

I certainly understand the value of a quality local mechanic...but in this case your mechanic is wrong. If the MPV had something unusual like a rotary engine I would understand his concerns. (not everyone can work on a rotary)...the 3.0L V6 is found in quite a few other products. (tribute, escape, mariner, mazda6, fusion, milan, 500, montego, etc)...if parts were hard to find you would hear alot of noise from alot of people. Any Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealer can work on the MPV...Also MPV parts are NOT hard to get. If your thinking about an extended warranty, most Ford dealers will take a Mazda MEPP warranty since its backed by Ford.

....Also, worried about resale value taking a nose-dive because that's usually what happens when brands are dropped. In five years will people say, "Mazda M-P-what??"....

IF your like many van owners after 5 years of carting around kids and stuff there isnt much van left to worry about resale values.lol... Also, MPV are selling at substantial discounts compared to some other import vans...so even if resale value is less, it cost you alot less to buy the van...so your out of pocket expenses are similar.

Jipster has provided you with some great first hand information and as you have read on here...MPV owners seem to be a very happy bunch compared to other vans. If you feel the MPV is the perfect vehicle for you then buy it.
  • Hey you guys made me feel a lot better. My gut has told me to go with the MPV. My dad ADORES his old 96 that is still driving like BRAND NEW at 120,000!!! I love the looks of the vehicle, the drivability, the interior, and trust Mazda. You guys gave me some good thoughts and input. I'm very glad I wrote in this forum! I'll let you all know how it comes out! I think the MPV will be our van. Thanks guys! ZZoommmm ZZoom.....
  • jc9799jc9799 Posts: 70
    We've hit the 9 month mark for our MPV. Last month our family (me, my wife, our 2 kids and my parents) drove to Anaheim for a 6 day stay at Disneyland. Here's a couple thing I noticed on the trip.

First, the bad.
    1. This was the first time I wished we had a bigger van. This same group rented a Town and Country about a year ago for a week long trip in Orlando and had no problem fitting everything behind the 3 row. This trip we packed lighter, but still had to place luggage below our kids feet. Everything fit, but it was very tight.
    2. I thought the middle row seats were uncomfortable. They felt a little low, and I'm not a tall guy (5'8", with a 30" inseam).

The good.
    1. Power. Alot of folks seem to think the MPV is underpowered, but I never felt that way on this trip. I was a little worried about crossing over Siskyou Summit and the Grapevine, but the MPV did fine. While I wouldn't call it effortless, the MPV felt strong, never strained.

This is a nice driving car. Not like the 6 we test drove and almost bought, or even my wife's Passat, but not bad either.

One thing that is dissapointing is the mpg. My normal route to work (about 40% city and 60% freeway) is averaging right around 18 mpg. With it's EPA estimates, I was hoping for 20 mpg or better. And it's getting slightly worse as time goes on. (They do change the gas here in Portland in the winter, so maybe things will improve in the spring.) FWIW, our V8 Explorer averaged about 15 mpg for the same route.

I've also noticed a crunching sound that sounds like it's coming from the steering column or under the dash when I turn to the left.

Overall, it's been a terrific van. For us, the size is just fine 99% of the time. Being able to out to dinner with my folks and not having to take 2 cars is great.
    Too bad the MPV will soon RIP.

Vic
  • gat135gat135 Posts: 7
    I am interested in purchasing a MPV but I have concerns regarding a comment that was made by my mechanic. He had claimed that it took over 1 month to get a part to repair a Mazda. Is this true? Are the MPV's reliable and can they be repaired by any competent mechanic or only factory trained?
    I can tell you exactly what the crunching sound is (happened on my Escape), your nuts are not tight on the wheel. Alloys have a tendency to loosen over time and it causes a rub / crunch while turning. Just have your local dealer (service dept) check the lugs, they usually don't charge you for it, they just come out with a torque wrench and re-torque them. If it's not the lugs I would be worried it might be a front ti-rod or sway bar.

Hope this helps

Odie
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Is it official that Mazda is not bringing over the new 2007 MPV? I've seen the Mazda Japan link and that car is gorgeous. Bring it over with the same setup/dashboard/lazy boy captain chairs and 244hp engine and I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don't understand why they think the CX9 will be a suitable replacement. Isn't the price range for the upcoming CX9 starts in the 28-35K range? The great thing about the current MPV is that it is affordable and a compromise between a car and a Minivan. Mazda is making a bad decision. =(