Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    2002-2004 MPV's had an issue with the transmisssion programming which gave some jolty shifts. A reflash came out that seems to address it. IIRC, the '05 and '06 aren't affected by it as they've changed software and some internals.

Programming of electronic transmissions has affected other makes as well.

-Brian
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I don't believe all 2004's had the transmission issue requiring reflash. Just the one's with Janurary - March manufacture dates. My 2004 has an April manufacture date, and hasn't had any problems(knock on wood).
    That's correct, thanks for the clarification. My slip on not remembering that.

For that matter, our '02 really hasn't exhibited the shift jolt either and hasn't had a reflash. YMMV. I did get the tranny fluid changed at 30k though.

-Brian
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    actually very few of the 2002 Japco 5 speeds had issues. It wasn't until they tried to tune it for better mileage in 2003 that the issues came up.

We have 43k trouble free miles on a 2002 LX. Battery went out on remote, had to reprogram it. We just put in a new 7 year battery in also, wifey was worried that it might die and leave her stranded.

John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,092
    Summer's here! (Well, just about) Beat the heat and stop in to the chat tonight to talk about your favorite brand... Mazda!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Automotive News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The TSB for the shift jolt includes 2002 models, fwiw.

-Brian
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    carsx3: I'm not an owner but considerend the MPV a couple of years ago. It's a nice vehicle. The only thing "wrong" with the vehicle was the size. It has it's issues as do every other minivan out there. If the size fits your needs, go for it! you'll be happy with the purchase.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    Our Caravan is starting to show wear (95,000 miles, city driving) and the MPV seems like a good choice (we need a smaller minivan than the giants). We live in Boston so will talk to some of the MA dealers.

Are the big incentives still in place for the 05's?

What is the difference between the ES and LX-SV trim levels?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    I'd be surprised if you could find a new '05. But incentives seem to be pretty good for the '06s. I saw a new '06 MPV advertised yesterday for $17,995. I assume it was a LX with no/few options.

A couple of other options to consider if you don't need a new van this instant: Kia is supposed to be coming out with a short wheelbase version of the all-new Sedona, and DC will offer a redesigned Caravan for '08 (in '07) and I read it will have a drop-in-the-floor rear seat, if not Stow-n-Go.
    What is the difference between the ES and the LX-SV trim levels.

About $5,000. ;)

The ES adds to the LX-SV: traction control, front side airbags, rear a/c, leather upholstery, 8 way power driver seat, leather wrapped steering wheel., 6 disc CD changer, power sliding rear doors,alloy wheels, floormats, rear privacy glass, fog lights and 17 " tires.
    Our '04 MPV turned 2years old the first of this month. Thus, far the family and I have been extremely satisfied with the performance and reliability(knock on wood) of our MPV, and are glad we chose it over the Honday Odyssey and Toyota Sienna.

Currrently it has 19,100 miles. We just got back from a trip to Panama City Beach and was pleased with it's overall performance.(some slight hesitation with trans though when full throttle given at lower speeds) and mpg was near 23.5
    with a fully loaded van, a/c on entire time, and an average speed of around 78mph. The slide by side second row chairs came in handy by seperating the kids they got into the little squabbles kids get into.

What I would change about the MPV: a more responsive trans., split folding 3rd row seats and better OEM tires than the Dunlops SP4000 that came with it.

What I like: sporty attractive styling... interior and exterior, safty/good visibility, comfort, quality materials, reliability, price, slide by side second row seats, rear a/c, handling, fold flat third row seat,warranty and its size. :shades:
  • My wife's 04 LX turned 2 years old last month.

I agree with you on the Dunlop SP4000's-- our wore out quickly.

I was actually happy with the tranny while driving CA-1 down the coast from Fort Ross to San Francisco and from Monterey down to San Luis Obispo. It held the gear through the twisties instead of upshifting, so I was able to get out of a turn at a decent clip.
  • sschribersschriber Posts: 89
    Looking at a 2006 LX-SV with Roof rack, and rear air for $15,995 before tax and tags. Good price?
    For a new one that is pretty good, yes. Lowest adv. price I've seen was $15,495 down in Texas a month ago, and not sure that had rear A/C or roof rack.
  • sschribersschriber Posts: 89
    Thanks Backy.
  • tj4tj4 Posts: 3
    :) :shades: I looked at the new Japanese MPV on the web. Beautiful!!
    I hope they sell it here in the USA.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    Hi all,

I have an '02 with rear heat. The owner's manual says to bring it in for replacing the antifreeze, while vans without rear heat have a DIY rating.

Anyone know what this advanced procedure involves?

John
    We just bought a 2003 LX with a few options and 40,000 miles. We like smaller vans because we park on the street in Boston. It has almost identically the same amount of room as our 99 Caravan, despite being nearly 6" nnarrower. And quite a bit more responsive to drive....
    Interesting they say not big enough for US market. The Caravan (not Grand) and new Kia SWB are both 189.5" long.

The new MPV is 4.87m = 191.8" existing 189.5
    Width 1.85m = 71.7" existing 72.1
    Height 1.745 = 68.8" existing 68.7

Guess they assume gas prices are going down again....
    Any reason to go to 17" other than style?
  • 03 Lx with 47000, The only money spent was on a new set of tires. Had the pcv hose replaced and the Pcm reprogramed under warranty, No big Deal! I have driven Ford and Chrysler minivans at work and Mazda, by far is a better built vehicle.The Freestar and the Town&Country constantly find their way to the Repair shop. I think Mazda made a :) mistake by Pulling the MPV out of the US market especially when the market is now driven by smaller , fuel efficient vehicles. I guess the move was decided years ago when gas was under $2.
  • I think the deal killer was coming in at $23k+ in a crowded market.

If the 2002 redesign had come in at $19 to $20k, it would still be a hit.

John
    The MPV is a smaller minivan with a smaller engine than the Honda Odyssey, DGC and Toyota Sienna, yet it doesn't get as good mpg as those minivans do.

The market trend has been towards bigger and more spacious minivans, which has hurt MPV sales. The lack of the latest in modern features and safety equipment (i.e navigation, rear back-up sensors, side curtain airbags, power liftgate, tri zone auto climate control etc)has also hurt sales.

Agree that it came in overpriced, as it seems there has always been between a 2k and 3k rebate going on. Though price alone wouldn't have saved the MPV.

If Mazda had given some attention(features, price, more fuel efficient engine) to the MPV it could have been a sales winner. It has the short wheel based Dodge Caravan beat hands down in just about every category IMO(i.e quality, value, style, reliability)...which would have been it's only competition in that size category. The 2007 MPV , not available in the U.S, looks like a winner. Hopefully someday Mazda will bring it to the U.S
    In my town, the LX starts at under $17k after rebates and discounts. And it's still not a hit. I guess most minivan buyers prefer the big vans. It will be interesting to see how Kia fares when they bring out their short-wheelbase Sedona next year.
  • it's too late, the cow is out of the barn. People know that the MPV era is over, so who would want one at any price?
    Someone who wants a V6, short-wheelbase, 7-seat minivan with a foldaway rear seat. I think the MPV is the only one available right now, correct?
  • well the 2006 is the last year in the US. I agree it is in its own niche.

John
  • My wife and I have a 2002 MPV we've had for a few yrs now. I've been in the competition (Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Kia...). I'm not impressed. That's not to say they aren't good mind you, but they are NOT head/shoulders above the MPV in any area, except maybe features offered, girth and weight; but that's to be expected since the MPV has soldiered on with the knowledge and intent it wouldn't last too much longer here in the US, hence not too many updates made to it in recent years (at least not too many competitive updates).

I would venture to say, however, that if Mazda/Ford had any brains and brought this over here (see below), the MPV, regardless of its not-as-big-as-the-main-minivan-players size, would jump to the head of the class in sales/desirability...especially with its smaller size (assuming they could get more frugality out of its MPGs).

http://www.mpv.mazda.co.jp/swf/main.html
  • 21.3 mpg 70/30 hwy/city with a couple passengers. I can't complain, and have even heard mid-teens from the Sienna/Ody crowd.

John
  • Someone who wants a V6, short-wheelbase, 7-seat minivan with a foldaway rear seat. I think the MPV is the only one available right now, correct?
    Yes. And now that the MPV is off the market, the only one will be the soon-to-be-released short wheelbase Kia Sedona.

We had a 1999 Dodge Caravan and now have a 2003 MPV as we live and park in a city. In the 'burbs the "Big minivans" rule.

If Mazda had set their sights at 40-50,000 units a year they would have been all set. Personally I think they offered too many trim levels - they should have had one basic model and one with everything.