Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Also the 2008 Caravan is rumored to be coming with Stow 'N Go--just how they will do that on a short wheelbase model, I'd like to know.

Personally I think they offered too many trim levels - they should have had one basic model and one with everything.

Isn't that what Mazda did? The relatively basic LX and the ES with everything including leather?
  • Isn't that what Mazda did? The relatively basic LX and the ES with everything including leather?

Theoretically. But the dealers offered LX's optioned with Four Seasons, LX-Plus, Leather, etc. Then they offered a third trim level, the LX-SV. And side airbags were optional.
  • d5ad5a Posts: 63
    Been looking for the past two months at getting a larger car. Keep coming back to the Mazda brand. Have a dealer offering me a new 2006 MPV LX-SV with a MSRP of 23,710 out the door for 17,500. The MPV has a few options like rear air, Cargo net and roof rack and floor mates but i would have to add privacy tint to the rear glass. Also have another Mazda Dealer offering me a 2007 Mazda 5 touring with a sticker of 20,695 on the road for 20,880. The 5 has a sunroof and automatic air, rear bumper guard and floor mates also. I cant decided which car will be the best one over the long haul. Should I save the money and go with the MPV and hope its a good van, but fear taking a loss on the resale value due to it being an older model, or should I pay more and get a newer style Mazda 5. Each car has its pros and cons just trying to figure out which one will be best for the next 5 or so years. I'm worry the MPV may not be as reliable due to having a ford engine but not sure if the 5 is any better with it being a new model. Any words of wisdom would greatly be apprecaited. Also please tell me your thought on the prices I have been offered. Thanks everyone for your help!
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    The MPV price is already $6k off sticker, reflecting its lower demand and real world price. In 5 years, both are probably going to be worth about $10k or so, roughly.

The Duratec engine is pretty reliable, though there have been issues with the coilpacks in the earlier 3.0L V6's. The 5 is nice as well. Which one are you more comfortable driving?

-Brian
    When i'm sitting inside the Mazda 5 it seems to have a better fit as far as arm placement however the weird thing to me is there is no arm rest for the passenger or arm rest for the rear passagers on the rear doors. The MPV give much more room which I prefer for trips plus I'm tall and I like that it sits higher for ease of getting in and out. I also like that it has more leg room up front but as far as rear leg room they both seem to be the same. The downfall to me is the MPV looks old, basic style wise. The MPV looks like a base model car on the exterior and looks like a minivan. The interior is nice looking more upscale to me then the 5, but the exterior is lacking. The Mazda 5 interior seems cheaper but durable then the MPV's but and exterior seems 100% nicer. Newer styling, fog lights, sunroof. Just seems more updated. Have a small family and have decided to go to one income I.E. now one car. So the next car will have to fit all our needs. Want room but want reliability not sure about either of them in that case. I also fear the resale value on both especially the MPV since this is its last year. After looking at the honda and toyota vans they are just to expensive for us. I keep thinking what other car can i get with as much room as the MPV for 16,400 plus tax and tags so does that make it worth it? Do i go with the cheapest thing I can find and live with it for many years or spend more money to make me feel like i have a newer car but have a larger car payment that may get in the way of our expenses but make me feel less like a soccer dad.
  • it essentially gets down to function vs style for you. Since you are on a budget, get the MPV, you won't regret it.

Now, I will seriously consider swapping my MPV for the 5 once the 6spd MT and diesel engine make it to the US. The economy and longevity of that package will make it one of the best multipurpose choices, IMO.

John
    Thanks for your reply. I'm leaning towards the MPV due to the room and price. I cant think of anything else i can get for the room for 16,400. I did find a 06 toyota sennia CE model for $22,000 plus tax and tags but that seems to be to much money for a van with nothing on it. Only reason to really consider it was for the resale value. Any thoughts on if its a smarter move to try for the toyota over the Mazda and hope its worth more down the road when i have to trade it in?
  • if you are concerned about resale value, you might do some checking around. My guess is that the Toyota will drop down a few thousand the first year, whereas the MPV will not drop much at that price. Not sure where they will be several years from now. In any case, the MPV is NOT a Kia or a Hyundai, it is one solid, well built and engineered unit that will go many miles.

48 k on our 2002. Only non-routine maintenance issue was a mass-air flow sensor that needed cleaning. $7 can of Napa cleaner took care of it.

John
    Wow that is great to hear about you not having any problems. I'm really leaning towards the MPV myself. It seems to be a great van from what I've seen. Looked at most of them and kept coming back to it for the size and the driving experience. The honda and toyota seem to big and handling was not as crisp. The interior of the MPV also impresses me even on the base model. It seemed much better made then the Toyota. We test drove a new sienna and a used one and both seemed not as well made as the Mazda. The used sienna 05 model with only 19,000 miles seemed like it was falling apart. I was really shocked at the build on the toyota.

Only have one MPV left in my area (the one we are looking at) so i'm really thinking i need to make a move and just buy the MPV.

Thanks again for telling me about how great your MPV has been.

Dave
  • zoompvzoompv Posts: 17
    Just thought I'd pop back in and give a longer-term update:

3 1/2 years ago I bought a 2003 MPV new. Right off the bat I had to have the dealer reposition the external temperature sensor for the dealer-installed temp-displaying mirror.

Since then, no problems at all. Zero. Routine maintenance, a new set of tires, and that's it.

Odometer currently reads about 58,000 miles.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Thanks for the update zoompv. Pop back in in 2011 and let us know how the peevee is doing. ;)

P.S How would you describe routine maintenance? What mileage you do trans. flush, brake flush, oil changes etc? If you don't get this post for another 3 1/2 years, well...I guess I'll just have to wait.
    Thanks zoompv for updating us. I know as a new MPV owner I love hearing about how great the older vans are holding up. I bought a 2006 after everyones help on the board here. I read what everyone had to say about how much they loved there vans so I went for it and bought one of the last 2006 in the state. Turned 1,000 miles today and I have to say I love the van. It has surpassed my exceptions so far. I hope it holds up as well as everyone has said and in a few years I hope to be giving updates as good as zoompv.

Thanks Again everyone for a place to come and talk about how great these vans are.

D5A
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    I can confirm a generally trial free 50k, although I just had to replace a coil pack on cylinder #2. It required removing the intake manifold to get to the back cylinder bank.

I am leaning towards selling it around 90k, about 15k before the required spark plug change on the back bank. It is looking like that is going to be a $500 maintenance item, at least.

John
    We've got 2 1/2 years and 25k miles on our 2004 LX. So, far everything is going smoothly(knock on wood). Looking to do a tranny flush at around 30k, as well as new tires to replace the OEM Dunlops.
  • zoompvzoompv Posts: 17
    My version of "routine maintenance" is just what's required to keep the warranty intact, and no more. Now that it's off warranty, I'll keep changing oil at 5-6,000 miles and look to the recommended maintenance schedule for other items.

I guess I've been spoiled by my 1989(!) Pathfinder that I'm just now deciding to park after 193,000 miles with almost little maintenance beyond oil changes. Given that experience, perhaps you'll laugh to imagine me in the car I hope to replace the Pathfinder with: a Jaguar :surprise: !

Honest - they're a lot more reliable than they used to be - honest! I just need to keep telling myself that.
  • We have 170,000 miles on our 2000 MPV, the only thing that was not maintence item that I had to replace was a coilpack. I only paid $62.00 and installed myself. I wish Mazda would continue to make the MPV, since we are starting to look to replace our 2000 MPV.
    Look fast--there's still a few new '06s out there!
    Purchases mine a month ago and it was the last 06 in Maryland. Before I bought it there where many out there all the sudden when I would look at one it be sold the next day. They have been marked down so low how can you not buy one. Thats what happened to me. I got $8,5000 off the sticker. Base model but its doing what i need it for. Running kids back and forth and it drives just as nice as other cars I have had., Very Quite inside. So far love it. ITs been great and could not have purchased anything on this level for the same price.

Love that everyone on the board has nothing but good things to say about them. It was not my first choice at first in vans but it has turned out to be the choice I should have made no matter what the price. ITs as good as the Honda and toyota that we looked at many times. A shame Mazda stopped making it. The Mazda 5 is way to small compared to the MPV so they need a bigger van to take on bigger families and cargo room. Maybe in a few years they will bring a new MPV back to market just in time for me to trade this one in.
    I've read Mazda is bringing the MPV back to the market, but in a bigger form to better compete with all the other minivans out there. Even DC is dropping their small-wheelbase vans for 2008. :(
    Wow I didn't know that. Do you know what year? Any spy photo's out there? Wish they didn't make it any bigger. Thats one reason I like it. IT handles so much better then other long wheel base vans. It just the right size. Has just the right amount or rear leg room and as far as cargo area its just as big as the other vans. There's a nice size well in the back to store stuff. Kia this year came out with a short wheel base van because the market was looking for one. Maybe Mazda should think about offering two wheel bases. Just base it off a Mazda design and not a ford.

I have to say I've been hearing a lot of great things about the 3.0 ford engine thats in the MPV. They seem to run for ever. Have a friend with a ford explore with 250,000 miles on it and it has the same engine as the mpv and has never had any real problems. I'm hoping the same goes for me and my MPV. I've got 1,200 miles on it and it just turned a month old. So far so good. To new to really tell. I did notice inside the door were it list the tire pressure and other information on the van that it was built back in November of 2005. Mean it has been sitting for well over a year since i bought it. Wow these vans where really not selling. Hey it paid off for me. Gave me the right size car for my needs at a great price. As far as resale goes I plan on running it until it stops to either way it wouldn't be worth much at the end of the day. Just goes to show there is a need or a want for most things. No one wanted the MPV that i bought so it sat for a long time until I came along and wanted it.
    Well, it appears the new MPV won't be coming to the U.S. anytime soon:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109169

Looks like we get the CX-9 instead. Much more cargo room than the Mazda5 at least.

Also, I think Kia's new small "van" is actually the Rondo, aka Carens, which is more similar to the Mazda5 than a minivan--it can be had with a V6 and seats 7, but has almost no cargo space when doing so.
  • tcc21tcc21 Posts: 69
    Well, if finally happened after 3 years of battling a problem on my MPV! Today, I brought my vehicle into the local friendly Polar Bear and they agreed to replace the whole rack on my 2003 MPV with 79K miles on it! Problem has been squeaking in the steering when turning the wheel and a rattle from the front end when going over bumps plus a 'creaking' sound when going over things like speed bumps. I have had the NORMAL reply for 3 years; once Mazda came close to replacing the rack before, but backed down. I have a $1600 extended warranty I bought upfront; this fix would have cost nearly $1500 plus I get a free rental car for up to 5 days with no deductable. So, I have paid for the price of the warranty! I felt elated to finally have this problem addressed. Perserverance paid off. I had the tranny problems in the beginning and went thru that whole mess before. That issue seems behind me as well. I love this van, I wish the mpg's were better though for it's 'smaller' size. The engine has always been thirsty - 19MPG pretty much all the time unless I kick it down and it drops off.

There is a silver lining after all!! :shades:
    Glad to hear your dealership is going to take care of it for you tc. Let us know how it goes.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, folks,

I've moved the posts about this to the MPV Tires & Wheels topic.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

This is not specific to MPV's; why is there an on/off switch for cruise controls?? You can just 'set or resume' anyway, why does there need to be a power on/off switch....what safety does that insure?

Curious minds wonder....

Related to MPV's; do others notice that the accelerate mode does not react very quickly on their MPV's? Mine seems to slowly crawl up 2-3 mph's with each push on the button.

TC
    I never noticed anything unusual with my accelerate mode. Probably better mpg wise it not accelerate to quickly.
  • kinkokinko Posts: 48
    my 04(manufactured in late 03) started having the same problem that you'd got. The dealer told me that they'd put grease in the steering to eliminate the squeaking noise. But 2-3 weeks later, it is still there even it is not as bad as before. Mine seems to have little vibration in the front end since day one. I thought it was the tires' fault, but the vibration is still there after driving 3k miles on a set of new tires. I should visit the dealer again soon.
    Sounds very similar!
    My steering noise get's worse when it's warmer outside!
    The creaking in the front end when going over bumps was worse as well when warmer.
    I too have noticed vibrations when on the highway for the first couple miles, then it goes away! I've had my tires rebalanced many times. Hope this fix works! I will let you know when I get it back this Saturday how things work! Right now, I am driving a nice rental car ON THEM!!

PS: Yes, they greased mine a couple times and said it was NORMAL! I said is it normal for MPV's to fly too???
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Tire vibrations on an MPV can be fixed by balancing the tires on a road force machine like a Hunter 9000 (or whatever version they are on now). Most Mazda dealers have these machines. ;)
    Thanks for that info.!
    My problem, too, is that I want my weights on the INSIDE of the wheel for looks and care of the wheel. This does not always get a true balance for the wheel and can be part of my issue as well. They do a 'static' balance to do this.