Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Who was the warranty company? Just curious- I got an extended warranty on my Mazda 6--

Our MPV is 6 yrs old now. We had the coil problem and a trans switch go bad- out of warranty- Mazda paid for the parts but not labor (after the fact). No signs of rust yet

Thanks
    lg2207
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    We had the coil problem and a trans switch go bad- out of warranty- Mazda paid for the parts but not labor (after the fact). No signs of rust yet

How far out of warranty when Mazda paid for parts on the trans switch and coils? How did you ask them to cover the cost?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Well, I actually got the OLD Chrysler van style and comfort, but I much prefer the exterior and interior of the pre-2008 vans. I can't stand the blocky looks of the 2008+ Chrysler/Dodge vans.

There really are great deals on vans now, e.g. a new 2008 Dodge van can be had for around $17k. But I only paid $11k for a one-year-old van that looks/drives like new; the only difference is mine has 50k miles! As I only plan on keeping it for about 3 years, that is no biggie for me.
    This was Ultimate Warranty. I bought the van from a used car dealer, not a Mazda dealer. The whole thing is still in the courts. I could eventually get some money back on my purchase price for the warranty. But I'm not holding my breath on that.
  • When the temperature goes below -5C, all doors freeze on my 2003 MPV. Even the key hole is plugged and have to wriggle the key in and rock it back and forth to open the door latch. The back doors stay frozen until after three or four hours of driving. My kids use the front door all the time now.

This may be a common problem on MPV. Any suggestions on how to get around this problem?

Thanks, Sri.
    See my response to same question under MPV Care and Maintenance.
  • tcc21tcc21 Posts: 69
    That sounds terrible. I have an 03 MPV LX and I have not had that problem yet. I have had some problems with the power sliding doors though and the drivers window going up VERY slowly when it is cold. This model has been plagued from the very beginning with issues - tranny, etc,
    I currently am fighting the dealer about needing to replace the catalytic converter for 1000 dollars. They say it's a normal maintenance issue and I say NO. My check engine light comes on about once every couple months and the code is for the converter.
  • Hello,

I am returning to the States after working in Saudi Arabia, and wondering whether I should take my MPV (2006) along. My employer will pay for the shipping cost. But they will not pay for the changes needed to bring the car into compliance with US and California standards.

I have no idea what these changes will be, and how much they will cost. Can someone please enlighten me on this? If the cost of conversion is too big, I will drop the idea of shipping, and just sell the car.

Thanks,
    Nadeem
    You can research the costs, but I am prety sure you will find it will be cheaper to sell the car before you move, and buy an MPV or something else in LA. Used car prices in the U.S. are really low right now, e.g. in early September bought a 2007 Town & Country in excellent condition and with a lifetime powertrain warranty (no, not the Chrysler warranty, which could have a fairly short "lifetime" :( ) for $10,900. And prices have dropped since then.

You might try negotiating with your employer, i.e. "I'll sell it before I move and you will avoid the shipping costs, but can you contribute towards the sale if I have trouble getting a fair price?"
  • I'm looking at purchasing a 2004 MPV and I see that the engine is a Ford Duratec 3.0(?), any other Ford parts on the MPV?

Is this running gear on any Ford vehicles?

Thanks,

Tom
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    The 3.0L Duratec is shared with the Escape/Tribute. However, in the MPV it is tuned by Mazda for a bit more low end torque. The tranny is a JATCO unit.

-Brian
  • HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS SINCE YOUR MPV REACHED 100,000 MILES

POWER STEERING WENT
    NEW ALTERNATOR NEEDED
    VALVE COVER SEALS CRACKED
    IN THE WINTER THERE IS AN ANNOYING CLICKING SOUND
    THE ABS LIGHT WON'T SHUT OFF
    FRONT AXELS CRACKED
    DRIVER SIDE WINDOW MOTOR REPLACED TWICE
    IT FEELS AS IF IT'S LOSING POWER IT TAKES A WHILE TO ACCERLERATE WHEN DRIVING ABOVE 60.

I ONCE LOVED THIS CAR BUT I FIND MYSELF DREADING THE DAY I PURCHASED IT. I HAVE HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE CAN ANYONE RELATE?
    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME IDEAS ON HOW TO GET A COUPLE OF MORE YEARS OUT OF THIS CAR.
  • today my car finally had is last ride. I took it to the mechanic and it has a broken piston rod in the engine. it won't accerlerate pass 50 MPH. I was told it's best to buy a new vehicle.
  • shwoogyshwoogy Posts: 3
    Its a 1994 Mazda MPV
  • I have 2001 mazda MPV, that out of the blue just wont start. Now I just had a Major tune up, including Mass Air Sensor replacement,plugs wires filters. It was running great and out of nowhere, Just wont start. I got a new ignition switch 'cause the battery and (new) starter check out. Any body else experience this ?? :(
  • budmantombudmantom Posts: 33
    I'm having a hard time understanding your post.

Was it running after the major tuneup?

Is it trying to start, is the starter turning over, is it getting spark, is it getting gas?
  • Greetings all, I'm new to the forum. We have a 2003LX which we loved for the first 4 years/50K miles; DVD player, towing package -- really the perfect family car. At around 50K miles we encountered what sounds like the usual laundry list of problems. O2 sensors, oil pan, bad sliding door, more O2 sensors, possible cat converter, PCV valve, etc. Maybe I have a falsely negative impression, but I'm reaching the conclusion this is just not a quality vehicle and we should cut our losses now while we can still get $3K for a trade-in (especially since transmission failure seems pretty common for MPVs). I admit we haven't adhered to the service schedule very well, and I know one has to maintain proper perspective when a Ford engine hits 80K miles, but after driving my Subaru outback for 12 years, I'm not acclimated to this level of mainenace problems. Can a MPV reach >120K miles without a huge maintenace cost?
    Trade it or keep it? Thanks
    we can still get $3K for a trade-in

That's a rip off. If a dealership is only offering $3k trade-in, I'd either keep it or sell it private party for double that. But, as long as you have confidence in your engine and transmission (Duratec engine is one of Fords' best and most reliable) I think it will last well over 120k miles.

You're right though in not wanting to be nickeled and dimed to death over those minor repairs. If covered under warranty not too bad. So, considering how much you paid for the van only 6 years ago, how much a new or used would cost, it would be better finacially to keep it... at least a couple more years.
    Well, I have the same unit you do. Bought it new in 2003. I've gone thru the same items you have stated. Most recently had the oil pan gasket replaced/updated per new spec and the leaking is solved...for 450 dollars! Stupid designs that put this vehicle in the hot seat - metal oil gasket that warps...come on! I too have had the catalytic code come on numerous times during the winter, but not during the summer. I had it cleared out by AutoZone several times. No problems on that really...knock on wood. Many goofy deals on the o2 stuff too. I love the basic unit and functionality, but it is a basket case on wheels. We live in MN. with long cold winter and hot summers put a lot of stress on her. I have 121K miles on mine!! So I pray it still holds together for a couple more years. DEFINITELY not like a Toyota that can go for 200K miles no sweat!! I have two camrys with more miles on them than the MPV and they are still very solid in comparison!! I'd say, if you can get rid of it and have money for a new vehicle - go for it! Our economy needs you!
    I have no money so I am limping along with it. TCC
    :D
    Anyone else care to report on the reliabiility and repairs of their MPV thus far? So, far we have been very happy with our 2004 Mazda MPV LX... purchased new. Thus far it has proven to be a quality and reliable vehicle, knock on wood. We did have two coils replaced under warranty, which has been a problem for a lot of MPV's. Had the trans fluid flush at around 27k miles. Coolant flushed last year... filters changed on schedule. Oil changes around every 3k or 4k miles. Engine lags sometimes when you punch it hard to accelerate, but other than that very good performance. Original brakes are still good. On our second set of tires, Goodyear Tripletreds which are great in rain. We have nearly 60k miles currently, and planning another Florida trip for this summer.
  • We bought my wife's '04 MPV LX new in June of '04. It just broke 80,000 miles this past week.

Last month we had the back 3 ignition coils and fan control module replaced for about $650. One ignition coil had already been replaced under warranty 3 years ago. We still have the original brake rotors and are on the third set of tires. The OEMs didn't last that long, but Yokohama AVID tires have worked well for us in terms of cost, road noise, durability, and traction here in So' Cal'. We flushed the transmission fluid around 60,000 miles, and the tech said it needed it again. Hmmm-- I'll check into that. I flushed the coolant around 45,000 miles, so it's probably due again soon. We change the oil about every 5,000 miles.

We preferred the Mazda over the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna because we didn't want a big minivan. Now that I have leased a Subaru Outback we'll probably be taking my car on more vacations and giving the MPV a rest.
    Well, it's a great unit but it's had a terrible track record going back to 2002. There's a reason they quit making it in 2006. Oil pan leaks, transmission failures, check engine light fiascos - catalytic converter issues, coil issues, sensor issues, paint issues. Other than that my 2003 LX with 120K miles on it up here in MN. has been a great value...excuse me, I'm coughing terribly! Latest was the replacement of the oil pan gasket - apparently the boys thought that metal gaskets would never warp and leak....wrong! $450 later, I have an 'updated' flex gasket that contours to the pan. What an idea! Oh yes, I had the check eng. light come on a few times last winter and had it turned off. Seems they wanted to replace the catylitic converter for $1200 but I said NO and so far it has not been an issue. I think I'm on borrowed time with my MPV anyway. That's my opinion and I don't think I'm alone. The posts here back in 2003-2006 were all pretty negative. People are getting rid of these boxes now so not so many posts.
    but it's had a terrible track record going back to 2002

That's not true. The MPV had a great track record up until late 2004 or 2005. It was one of Consumer Reports top recommended minivans, and reliability was listed as one of the best. The transmission "shift shock" issue hurt it's reliability rating, but that was a minor problem that was corrected with having the TCM reflashed.

I've only heard one or two issues with the catalytic converter at the MPV Club, about 3 or 4 trans. failures, no paint issues, and maybe one or two issues with oil pan leaks. The main problems have been with the ignition coils and the PCV hose.
    Which is a cheap fix if you are a DIY'er.

There's a reason they quit making it in 2006.

Mazda quit selling the MPV in the U.S.A because sales weren't high enough. People were more interested in the bigger Honda and Toyota minivans. The MPV is still being made and sold in Japan and parts of Asia... doing very well I might add.

The posts here back in 2003-2006 were all pretty negative

Actually if you go back and look most of the posts are positive.
    It's true that they are still making it overseas, but it did not do well here due to reliability issues (and the size). I liked the smaller size and sportier look. That's why I bought it. But if you were to peek at the thread for MPV Problems and go back in time, there were MANY people complaining about the tranny issues - that were NOT being fixed by the dealers after SEVERAL visits. I beg to disagree strongly that it was a RELIABLE vehicle. The dealers around here no otherwise and have come just short of admitting that there were design flaws and mechanical issues. I'm glad I only had a 'few' of them. I know more that had handles falling off, power doors no longer working after a short time. I myself had an extended warranty on mine and burned up over 2K of it by replacing the front rack and other steering and suspension components due to squeaking in the steering wheel and creaking when going over things like speed bumps when the temp was under 30 degrees here in MN. I'm glad you like your MPV and wish you all the best. I just know that Consumer Reports changed there tune in 2004 after all the input came in from the previous 2 years when they put the new engine in it and changed some of the cosmetics. BTW. RUST has been a big issue as well. I had my lower door panel replaced in 2004 due to rust coming thru the bottom of the passenger door! Unbelievable. I baby my unit too. It has more wax on it that water flies off it. Again, there were MANY that use to be on this thread that had major concerns that may not even be around here any more due to selling them off. BTW also, when it's time for you to replace the rear license plate lights, good luck. The dealer does mine and curses me out when I come in to have it done. You just don't pluck the lense off like the manual says....

All the best!
    TCC
  • texsteelertexsteeler Posts: 9
    Thanks to all for their inputs. Reading everything I can about the MPV, I get the impression many owners have had the same experience. Vehicle runs great for approximately 4 years/50K miles. Then the check engine light comes on and from then on it's nothing but O2 sensor/cat converter/oil pan/engine coil/PCV valve etc etc etc with a big risk of transmission failure. Mine has 82K miles; my neighbor, who is a master mechanic with 30+ years has had it in his shop for a week and still can't figure out what the heck is wrong. If this was a normal sedan I would have traded it in a long time ago but I hate to give up a 6 year old minivan. Tough decision.
    I hope I didn't come across too negative. But I know that there are issues with these units that Mazda has not stepped up and taken care of. There were many posts here about Mazda Corp. bucking out on supporting major issues with these vans. I even had a faulty gas gauge that had to be replaced due to not reading properly. They are/were a sharp small mini and had some great potential features. Too bad that things like 'the drivers power window going up at a crawl when the temps are colder' had to happen. I am going to baby mine for at least two more years. I tend to keep my vehicles about 8 years and then sell them off. I had the notorious Dodge Caravan before this Mazda. THAT had tranny issues too. Not sure why these issues just keep coming. Right now my MPV is in good shape after putting 500 dollars into a new oil pan gasket and seal. That's another story why it was leaking! I have 120K on mine right now and am holding my breath that it will keep functioning for a while. I DO know that the same like vehicle (Toyota or Honda) with 120K miles on it would not have these conditions. I should have spent the extra $5K at the time and went that route! Good luck! TCC
  • Could some of the "transmission problems" the dealers can't identify possibly be misfirings due to bad coils?

Whem my first coil went out maybe 2 years after we bought our 04 MPV, the car felt really clunky in reverse. I thought it was a tranny problem and took it to the dealer. The tech couldn't find anything, and since the coil problem was intermittent the code reader didn't find the problem. It took two visits until they identified the problem properly.

Last month we found the MPV surging and feeling choppy at times, so we correctly surmised it was another coil issue. This time two of them weren't firing off and on, so sometimes it felt like a transmission problem.
    Good point. I really don't know. I'm not a mechanic and never had that coil thing hit on my MPV....that I know of. My check engine light has come on due to water getting into the spark plug well on the front during several different rain storms I drove in. Once after I washed the engine off it came on for about 4 days and finally dried out and turned off. The other times it was due to a catalytic situation. That seems to have gone away now since the warmer weather came. I had it turned off - the light that is - at AutoZone for free. I hate to be such a debbie downer about the unit. I DO like so many things about the old tub...but I know it's days are numbered. I am backing off on the miles now so maybe it will last a bit longer. I use to drive it quite a bit - hence - the higher mileage. I went thru the whole tranny deal back in 04 and since then it's been ok. Some funky shifts but not that unusual. Tranny's are so complicated now with all the electronics involved. They are sweet when they work though!
  • westk1westk1 Posts: 9
    My 2000 MPV LX has 95,000 miles. It has major engine problems. For the last several years (3 to 8) it had a very subtle occasional cylinder miss. For the first several years of ownership, the miss was almost unnoticeable (or I would have taken it in for warranty repair). The last three years, the miss became more prominent and frequent. I have taken it back in for diagnostics at and independent mechanic and at the Mazda dealer. I have personally replaced most of the electronics (ignition coil, spark plugs, wire set). The Mazda dealer ruled out the fuel injection system, emission control system, etc. The conclusion is that it is a major engine problem which would require taking the engine head off to inspect everything. We are starting to talk about over $1,000 in labor just to inspect and find the problem. The engine also has a pervasive coolant leak that has been hard to isolate.
    I am very happy with the entire car, other than the engine. I has been a major disappointment. I also have a 2003 Protoge5 with 75,000 miles and that 2.0L engine is an absolute gem. My 93 Miata has 180,000 miles, another gem. My conclusion is the Ford Duratech 2.5L V6 is major disappointment.