Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

1259260261262263265»

Comments

• Sorry for cross-sposting.

Hello Everyone;

This is a great forum and I have been able to get very valuable tips on our Mazda 2003 MPV in the past. Now we have a weird problem:

Whenever the parking break is engaged, the "parking break" sign lights up on the dashboard. In addition, the "door open" sign also lights up on the dashboard and all the interior lights are on (even with all the doors closed!!). When the parking break is disengaged, the "parking break" and the "door open" signs go off in the dashboard and the interior light turn off as well.

Looks like there is a short somewhere in the system. Can someone please help me about the possible causes?

Thanks,

Sri.
  • tcc21tcc21 Posts: 69
    That does sound like a short. I have a 2003 MPV and I HATE the auto doors I have on it. They are more of a nuisance then a handy thing to have. They freeze up in the winter. Get stuck halfway sometimes and don't close/shut off lights sometimes too. I've got 150K miles on her now and am holding my breath. I would like to get 2 more years out of her since I don't put on that many miles anymore. Good luck. These things are notorious for many issues. I have not heard of yours before. My issue is the Check Eng. light coming on due to a malfunctioning sensor related to the converter. Eng. runs fine, so I just let the stupid light stay on. Not worth 1200 dollars to fix!
  • The bearings in the wheel hub is bad, you can purchase one for about $40 and have it pressed in and you should be ok after that.
  • buzzkbuzzk Posts: 15
    I'd guess by now the problem is fixed; if not, a worn C-V joint might make a similar sound - usually when turning - more than going straight. The notion of the source being loose sway bar bushings, particularly if associated with hitting bumps, is reasonable. I have a somewhat similar sound in one of my sedans that does apper to be caused by loose sway bar bushings.

Cheers, BK
  • tcc21tcc21 Posts: 69
    I have a 2003 with 160K on her. I've had the check eng. light on issue many times. I use to get it cleared just to be sure there wasn't a new issue but it usually is the "bank 1 misfire - cold startup" issue or the catalytic converter issue.
    The front end also was replaced under extended warranty around 95K miles. It was a worn tie rod issue. Yes, you do hold your breath with these things! I also would like to hang onto mine two more years. We'll see.
  • The Check Engine light on my 2005 MPV with 89K miles, has been coming on. I'm getting either P2187 (System too lean at idle bank 1) or P2189 (System too lean at idle bank 2) codes.

I removed the MAFS and sprayed it with electronic contact cleaner, but that did not resolve it.

The CE light sometimes turns off by itself, and it is more likely to come back on when the weather is wet. That leads me to think there may be a bad contact somewhere, but if its not the MAFS, what can it be?

The engine runs fine; idling, cold-start, acceleration, etc are fine.

I'm looking for suggestions on what can be causing the codes before I go to the dealer. Thanks!
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Oxygen sensors and IAC valve have been known to be problematic in the MPV.

CE light in wet weather usually means ignition coils. But, you say van runs fine. :confuse:
  • glbrightglbright Posts: 1
    edited October 4
    Any old model MPV owners still hanging around this discussion. My 1993 Mazda MPV 4WD just turned 240000 miles and is a daily driver. Lots of issues over the years, but I've always felt is was a keeper. Nothing like it since. And its looks are so unique. Here pictured next to our 2003 Mazda Tribute
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,963
    Still looks good!

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.