Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• like many of you i am now having the hardshift problem on my 04 mpv,with 4000miles.so that i dont have to search through all of the hard shift post i need info about the reflash so i can take the info with me to the dealer on friday.this way if they say its normal or if there is no fix i can give them the info so they can call mazda. thanks in advance.
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Posts: 90
    Here is the info, if you are within the VIN range, they have to reflash your TCM no questions ask according to the TSB.

US BULLETIN No: 05-003/04
    DATE: 05/2004
    CAN BULLETIN No: N/A
    MODEL: Mazda MPV
    YEAR: 2003-2004
    AFFECTED VINs: JM3 LW28** 30 367822 - JM3 LW28** 40 518096
    SUBJECT: Mazda Special Program (MSP03) - Shift Shock - Transmission Control Module (TCM) Reflash
    DETAILS:

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2003 - 2004 MPV vehicles built from April 1, 2003 through January 26, 2004
    2003 VIN Range: JM3LW28**30367822 - 378984
    2004 VIN Range: JM3LW28**40500013 - 518096

DESCRIPTION

The vehicle's automatic transaxle (ATX) may exhibit shift shock while the engine warms from cold to normal operating temperature. The symptom is intermittent, it does not occur all the time. The shift shock usually occurs during 1-2 or 2-3 upshifts, or 3-2 part throttle downshifts.

In most cases, the cause of the shift shock is from the TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM) software calibration. A new software calibration is available on ESI to correct the shifting concerns.

NOTE:
    UNDER THE MAZDA SPECIAL PROGRAM (MSP03), ALL CURRENT DEALER INVENTORY AND RETAILED VEHICLES FOUND TO BE WITHIN THE ABOVE VIN RANGES, AND PRODUCED BETWEEN APR. 1, 2003 THROUGH JAN. 26, 2004, MUST BE INSPECTED AND REPAIRED ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS CONTAINED IN THIS SERVICE BULLETIN.
    BEFORE PERFORMING ANY REPAIR, VALIDATE THAT THE VEHICLE IS APPLICABLE TO THIS PROGRAM BY PERFORMING AN "eMDCS WARRANTY VEHICLE INQUIRY" AND VERIFYING THE VEHICLE DISPLAYS CAMPAIGN "MSP03". SEE "VEHICLE INSPECTION PROCEDURE" BELOW.

DEALER INVENTORY:

Inspect and repair all current dealer inventory according to the procedures contained in this service bulletin.

RETAIL VEHICLES:

When a retail vehicle is brought into the dealer for any type of repair or scheduled maintenance, inspect and repair the vehicle according to the procedures contained in this service bulletin.
  • WOW!!
     TALK ABOUT THE MOTHER LOAD OF INFORMATION!!THANK YOU SO MUCH, I WILL MAKE A COPY AND TAKE IT WITH ME ON FRIDAY.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    where did you get that information? :-)

-Brian
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    I especially like the part about how they're supposed to do that to all vehicles in inventory. Yeah, right. My '04 LX falls in the VIN range for both the transmission TSB and the airbag "stop shipment" recall, and my dealer didn't do either of them.

By the way, does anyone know what the deal is with rectangular hole in the carpet on the right side of the driver's footwell? My dealer claims all their MPVs have this, but you'll excuse me if I don't take his word for it...

-Jason
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Posts: 90
    That hole is an air vent, take a look on the passenger left side, it is there too.

BTW subearu, the info is from MPVClub
    Thanks. Kinda strange that they just left it unfinished like that, so you can see into the guts of the console.

-Jason
  • ascott4ascott4 Posts: 3
    New 2004 have a very good and appealing cash back ($3500) right now. We purchased our new 2004 MVP LX for $21,900 Whitewater Pearl...awscott4
  • ascott4ascott4 Posts: 3
    I agree with JIPSTER...A lemon does come out of the factory every once in awhile. But, 1, 2, and 3 problems are small compared to what some owners go through with domestic cars. Face it, American cars are still behind the 8-ball in quality workmanship. I use to swear I would never buy foreign cars....that is in the past and I am older and have been burned too many times by American made cars. It's my hard earned money and I want the best for what I spend....awscott4
  • for an answer on how to determine if my '02 LX has a cabin air filter. We received a "free" coupon for a cabin air filter (you just pay the labor, mind you)from Mazda and it seems to indicate VIN numbers before and after with a cabin air filter. However, I can't find any information in the owners manual or elsewhere.

In my Subaru, it is located behind the glove box. Anyone know where to look on the MPV?

John
  • The air filter is behind the glove box. If you can get the filter from the dealer for free, do the install yourself. If not, just buy the filter and do the install yourself too, as it will be for sure cheaper than what dealer woyuld charge you for that. Those filters go for $21-$25 at the dealer or from online parts stores. if you need info on how to change it, go to MPVClub and search in forums for "cabin filter" , don't forget to check the "Search for all terms" radio button. Have your VIN ready while ordering or buying the filter, there was a mid year change. Older 02s have one piece and newer 02s have two piece with frame filter.
  • lazy, thanks for the info. The "coupon" requires dealer install, so I think I will pick it up online. Can you steer me to a cheap online Mazda OEM dealer, or an aftermarket company?

John
  • Try mazdastuff or mazdapartspeople Make sure you include your VIN with the order to see what filter you need. Or take a look in your MPV and see what filter part you have. If it's the single element filter witth no frame, it is LC74-61-P11 and if it's two element filter with plastic frame, it is LDY4-61-J6X
  • thx again. I will send them off an e-mail and see what they can do.

I had two recall notices yesterday, the PCV hose and ECM unit. I guess I will need to make my way into the dealer, I will send in my "free" cabin air filter coupon and check on installation cost.

John
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    I received a Special Service Program notice yesterday. One to have the fan control module replaced, the other to replace the PVC hose on my '03 LX. Have any of you received these notices?
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Yep, got the 2 notices for our MPV as well. Had the PCV replaced (warranty) a couple months ago, but I believe not with the 'new' improved part. So, we'll have to get it replaced again.

-Brian
    The dealer couldn't get it in right away so Mazda paid for a rental. A Ford Freestar.

Oh my.

The Freestar absolutely blows. No comparison at all to the MPV. I rented a Windstar with the gasket blower 3.8 V6 years back and it was actually an OK van. Gobs of torque and reasonably well put together. So I was surprised how much I disliked the new model.

This Freestar had the 3.9 V6 and was a slug. It sucked gas like the dickens, too. Everything in that van felt like it was a good yank away from breaking off. My wife mentioned that it felt like a "Fisher-Price" car. While the 3 Zone A/C was nice, it was so weak that the 3 zones were hot, hotter, and sweltering. Interior panels were coming loose left and right. The handling was awful. On an onramp I take at close to 80 in the MPV I could barely do 60. And once when I had to slow down quickly to make a turn the ABS kicked in almost immediately on a dry road. Incredible. And there was an intermittent, high pitched whining / moaning coming from the back of the van. No, it wasn't my kids ;-) It sounded for all the world like the fuel pump crapping out. All this on a van with 4k miles.

I read a review of the MPV - I think it was in Autoweek - where they mentioned that Ford should stop selling the Freestar and just rebadge the MPV. Now I can see why.

-Jason
  • MPV owners: I'm considering a 2003 MPV ES that my local dealer says was lost on an offsite storage lot. The vehicle, silver, has 112 miles and is fully loaded and beautiful. Cost: $21,000, sold as a brand-new car. Does this story sound strange? How can a dealer lose a car? Knowing what you know about your cars, would any of you make such a transaction? Any recommendations? I'm at an impasse and would appreciate your thoughts!
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Yes, it does sound strange. But, it only has 112 miles...which would leave me to believe it probably is legit. If you are really worried about it you could get an independent mechanic to look at it.It has been "sitting around" for a year or two so I probably would want someone to take a look at it. Sounds like a great deal though. I'm assuming you would be getting the full 4 year warranty? Please get back with us and let us know how it turns out. Anyone else with any ideas on the matter?
  • Thanks for getting back, Jipster. Yes, the 4-year warranty starts when the deal is signed. What about recall considerations? I will grill my sales guy tonight about the ever-present hard shift and reflash remedy I've been reading about on these pages. I also have a Mazda corporate associate looking up the vehicle's VIN for any possible issues. Would love to hear comments from others!!!