Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Yes, it is official Mazda is not bringing over the new 2007 MPV to the U.S. But, who knows what they will do in the future. I think in 2-4 years they will bring it back...probably name it after myself..."The Jipstermobile"

The small and midsize SUV market can't seat 7 as comfortable as a minivan. Only the monster SUV's...at $$$.
    So, a carlike minivan would be a good alternative between the big minis and suv's.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Our list for replacements for the '01 Escape has officially change with some of the price changes (and wife's feelings towards vehicles).
    1. '06 Mazda MPV
    2. '06 Scion xB
    3. '06 Mazda 5
    4. '06 Saturn Vue (wife likes this one)
    5. '06 Pontiac Torrent

We are still sticking to the price cap of $28,000 and MPG is going to be a deciding factor.
    MPG's (price range);
    1. MPV - 18 cty / 22 hwy ($26k - $28k)
    2. xB - 30 cty / 34 hwy ($16k - $18k)
    3. Mazda 5 - 20 cty / 24 hwy ($19k - $20k)
    4. Vue - 19 cty / 25 hwy ($18k - $24k)
    5. Torrent 19 cty / 25 hwy ($24k - $26k)

I know most people look at the xB and go "Eeewwwww" but I did have a wrangler at one point so I'm use to driving a box on wheels, but the MPG is nice.

Odie
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    FWIW: MPV's go for far less than sticker, even the '06's. Typically $2.5k under invoice.

-Brian
    The xB gets 30 city? WOW. At $16k, you could almost get one for you and your wife on your budget. Or, just get one and not have to worry about gas prices for awhile.

The 2005's are going for a song these days. You could get a fully loaded ES for around 22.5. If you can find one you like with low miles. The 2005 is identical(save exterior color choices) to the 2006 model.

The 250hp Honda engine would be nice in the Vue.
  • tarnertarner Posts: 1
    My wife and I are in the market for a Small Minivan or Midsize SUV as her lease on her 01 Rav 4 is ending. We have 2 kids, and would like a 3rd row... We have narrowed our options to:
    1. Highlander
    2. Rav 4 (the 06 is bigger than the last version)
    3. MPV
    We live in Arizona, and have almost no use for 4WD, but i would hate to buy a suv without 4wd for resale. The MPV came into the picture recently, and i really dont know too much about it.
    Questions:
    1. I have read many of the posts here, and there have been many positive comments. Do you guys have ANY problems/dislikes about the MPV.
    2. How is reliabilty?
    3. Pricing - i think i should be able to get below invoice - is that a fair statement???
    4. Anything in general i should know???
    Thanks for your help in advance!
    dan
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    We love our MPV.

But we paid about $23.5k in 2002 for an LX.

Only problem is that resale is very low now since the new ones are so cheap. By all means get a new one, it is a bargain and a half for a great van.

John
    The '06 is the (confirmed) last model year for the MPV. It is being replaced by the CX-9 ($35k base) and the CX-7 ($29k base). I was told by my local Mazda dealer that I can order a '06 up until May 20th.

Odie
    We haven't had any problems with our 04 MPV(knock on wood). I think the MPV is perfect for 4 member families. A quality van made in Japan. Most stylish, sporty and attractive van on the market in my opinion.

Big discounts on the leftover 05's.$2,000 rebates and $500 off if finance thru Mazda on the 06's. So, you'll probably save about 4-6k over comparably equipped Highlander or Rav 4.

Some people complain about lack of side curtain airbags and vehilce stability control. Also navigation not available. So, if you "need" those things...then you probably won't care for the MPV. Good luck.
  • jc9799jc9799 Posts: 70
    tarner,

Except for our one trip to SoCal a couple of months ago, the MPV is the perfect size for our family of 4.
    We also test drove the Highlander. My wife and I loved it. I'll admit, if it weren't for the huge rebates and discounts we got on the MPV last summer, we'd probably have got the Highlander.
    I still see ads for 05 MPVs in the paper. Sometimes up to $9K off MSRP. (We got ours $6K off last summer.) So yes, you should be able to get one below invoice right now. They probably won't have great resale in the future though, due to current rebates and the fact that it will be RIP after this model year.
    Just one last thing. Have you also considered the Mazda5? It's smaller than the MPV, but still holds six people. This was another car on my radar last summer, but they were not on the lots when our Explorer lease ended. I've heard the 3rd row is pretty tight, but I'd bet it's no worse than those in the Highlander and new RAV4.
    Good luck.

Vic
  • jstasakjstasak Posts: 8
    I an new to this board and was wondering what the experts here thought about a 2003 MPV ? What should I be looking out for ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance...
    This expert says go for it. I will have owned my 2004 MPV LX 2 years in July and we are very happy with how it has done.

The 2003 and very early 2004 had a transmission issue with "shift shock". The fix was having transmission control module reprogrammed at the dealership...which was a simple procedure. If you are buying at Mazda dealership I would have them check to make sure all warranty/TSB issues have been taken care of. Or, you could take the vans VIN number in to have it checked out. Try to find out as much as you can about its repair history.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    I just bought a 2002, which is about the same as a 2003. Love the handling (for a van) and the comfortable driver's seat. As with any used car, try to find out its maintenance history--see if you can talk to the original owner if you are buying from a dealer. Didn't Mazda's warranty go to 4/50k in 2003? So the van might still have some factory warranty left--that would be a big plus.
    I was told today that the MPV will be back for a 2008 model but is going to be remamed the Mazda8. They are taking a year off for redesign and update. Dealer also told me that price will be about the same as it stands now ($18k base - $32k loaded).

Odie
    Odie's Garage
    The 2007 MPV has already been redesigned and updated. It will not be available in U.S. in 2007.

Hope you are correct about it coming back in 2008.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    $18k base? The MPV today starts at about $23k, doesn't it? The Mazda5 starts at about $18k though.
    I was told the base model (starting @ $18k) will not have 3rd row seating and only have a 4 cyl. The dealer said there will be 5 trim levels. He also told me that the top end model will have full power folding seats that fold into floor (a'la Sto-N-Go), but the other models will have manual seats that fold. It will be interesting how it will turn out. He said the redesign will move away from the traditional Mini-van look to more towards the way the Mazda5 looks, just bigger. We will have to try and get some spyshots as time comes closer.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
    No need for spy shots...the all new Mazda MPV/Mazda 8 is already out. Just not here in U.S.

Per Mazda press release, "Mazda Motor Corporation has announced its plan to launch the all-new MPV in Hong Kong, where it will be named Mazda 8, in May 2006" It has already been released in Japan where it is still called the MPV. The artilce also stated that a decision to bring the Mazda 8 to other global markets hasn't been decided.

The Mazda MPV/Mazda 8 will have a 4cyl, but it will be turbo charged and produce around 240hp. I have read that it will have a lower profile/style like the Mazda5, but that it will have third row seats.
  • jgardnerjgardner Posts: 2
    My ES van has a vexing problem of pulling to the left at odd times of driving but usually after starting it from a several hour standstill or when turning left or right. It is still under warrenty and Mazda mechanics have replaced a steering rod, and realigned the front wheels. Just about when I think the problem has resolved itself, it resurfaces. Has anyone else had this problem and got it permanently resolved? Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? (For any aircraft pilots out there, when first driving the van after a standstill, if feels like taking off in an airplane and not applying rudder pressure to compensate for propeller torque.)
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Have you tried rotating the front tires to the opposite side to see if the pull goes right instead? Just wondering if it's a radial pull on the tire.

-Brian
  • jgardnerjgardner Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick response.........I will try your suggestion..........If the vehicle HAS to pull one way or the other would much rather it pull to the right for safety's sake. Hope rotating the front tires to opposite side resolves my problem. But, again, it's only on certain occasions that the vehicle pulls to the left, such as cold engine and left or right turns, so have ruled out alignment as problem. But when it DOES happen, it really feels like an alignment problem. I have also found that steering is rather tight and uncorrecting, but have attributed this to this type of vehicle. I am accustomed to driving Buick Sentras, Chevy S-10s, and a Ford Aerostar, none of which had this type of steering problem. The Mazda steering feel is similar to driving a lawn tractor. Apart from this one basic problem, I have been very satisfied with the vehicle (particularly after engine light and quirky transmission problems were fixed by dealer).