Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• adamisadamadamisadam Member Posts: 6
    Maltb,
    Actually, I'm quit skilled. Obviously more than most here judging by the lack of good detailed replies. I was hoping for someone with past experience in the area of installing a cell phone kit on this car before I dive in. Believe me, you, I can tell you all about my Benz inside and out; much from experience, much from friendly advice passed on at the yahoo boards. No such luck here, I guess.

Oh, and by the way, be carefull using a simple test light on modern cars as you can easily set off an airbag if you poke the wrong wire!

Thanks for the comments anyway. I'll try and use what I can from them.

Adam
  • scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    Especially after all those good suggestions! I'll throw in a few more:

1. Seat belt pre-tensioners

2. Hydraulic struts for the hood, or front-hinged

3. Exterior handle for back door

4. Lock on/off on passenger door (rutger3's fav!)

5. Pocket on back of driver's seat as well

6. Slightly wider fold-down armrests

7. Durable dead-pedal cover, not just carpet

8. Delete the whip antenna, integrate it

9. Completely independent front & rear AC,
    ie. rear can be on while front is off

10. Flux Capacitor

SC
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    Hey, Can all you 2002 owners post your MPG your are getting? I was wondering how the 3.0 and 5 speed trans was working out with MPG.

Info, I put my van buying on hold. My house is on the market and we are moving back to Memphis, Tennessee. Figured it would be better to buy in the city where I live. The wife also wants to fly back with the kids not drive the 23 hours. Heck yall, Maybe I can get me some there rebates this summer. Yeee Hawww
    Convertible MPV
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I was going to comment before but thought you'd been disuaded ;-). If you're really comfortable with your skills, then go for it and more power to you! [disclaimer]I was going to suggest you let a shop do it so they can assume liability if anything goes wrong, as I've seen some go really wrong on cars at a shop I go to [/disclaimer]. Hey, maybe it's the shop, lol. I do believe the #9 fuse space is both empty and hot 24/7. Probe that and let me know, cuz I haven't actually checked it, I just looked at the diagrams. Also, I believe the #15 is also empty and hot with key-sens. You will want the schematics to see how the wiring goes (you know that tho) because some of the accessory wires are in series and you don't want to blow a fuse and say cut pwr to, oh say the gear shift interface. Check the wiring diagram and you'll know what I'm talking about (look at the cig-lighter circuit...).

Good luck, and plz post your results!

/j
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    All wifey wanted was a stock LX (coastal blue), only options are matts and fog lights. Dealer placed order at port (MI) and we will know today if the dealer got the van. Dealer said coastal blue is hard to get these days. Will keep you posted.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    First,my wish list for added safety items on MPV:
    -seat belt pre tensioners(agree with scarter)
    -force limiters
    -rear middle headrest and 3 pt belt
    -head/curtain airbags
    -parachute

Now on to GM's stupid decision to eliminate as standard equpipment safety items in many of its vehicles to get this,
    Save Money! THat should be their new motto, Save Money, not Lives. No more ABS, sidebags because even though people want them and they make the car safer,they do not want to pay for them. Well in that case,why not eliminate headrests (GM was considering);aferall whiplash isn't all that bad; or get rid of seatbelts that would save money and there are people who do not want them. And how about those annoying built in crumple zones,that has to cost them a lot. Actually from a financial standpoint it would make perfect sense to eliminate brakes ,that would save GM a bundle and make them profitable again. I need to go buy some stock.
  • capt_canuckcapt_canuck Member Posts: 2
    Ive noticed a few posts regarding rotten egg smells coming from their exhausts. Im trying to find out if anyone has found a solution to this problem. I have a 2002 MPV DX with the conveneince pkg.

Im finding this problem mostly happens when I have the ventilation on and when I come to stop the fumes come in the vehicle. Also when I park the vehicle and turn the engine off the smell is there.

Any ideas? recommendations?
    Thanks
  • kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    I support car manufactures and anybody else in private enterprise to make any decisions as to the quality of offered product. If people want to be safe they will go elsewhere. Why would I need a passenger air bag if I use my car for pizza delivery? Why pay for things I will not use? Almost everything in a car should be an option. I just paid a lot of $$$ for things I don't care about. Free market will take care of these issues.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Yes! A fellow smoker...
    Since I spend an hour in the long paved parking lot (freeway) everyday I tend to smoke two coming and going. That results in emptying the ashtray every two days.
    I thought the Japanese smoked a lot. The designer must have been a non-smoker...or maybe he (they) ran out of room :))
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Try switching to a different brand of gas. Some gas brands have more sulfur in the gas and this is what causes the "rotten egg" smell. Usually a switch to a different brand will clear it up. It may cost a couple of cents more per gallon but you have to weigh the extra gas cost against the foul odor.
  • jsberkjsberk Member Posts: 1
    After many months of research and the great information on these boards, we purchased a 2002 MPV LX a couple of weeks ago. We just drove from Illinois to Florida for vacation and I was really pleased with my gas mileage in the MPV. Approximately 24 mpg without a/c on and just under 23 mpg with the a/c on. Mostly highway driving. The MPV is quiet, handles great and our little ones think it is really cool. Thanks to the frequent contributors on this board who help make the decision between MPV and Odyssey easier.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Was just told I can have a rack installed on the MVP at port (actually a mazda factory). Does anyone know if all racks are installed at port or are the ones that come with a package installed in Japan?
    Mine was still in Hiroshima and had the rack already on it.
  • mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    So far, mileage has been a disappointment to us. The last time we filled up, we only got 15 mpg on city-only driving, three below the EPA rating.

I have noticed that everytime we go on a long trip, our highway mileage seems to improve. Our first trip was 19, then 20, and finally 21 on our last trip. I took the car to the dealer and said the mileage was poor but they said see where it is at a 2000 miles.

Some chat room participants have said their mileage improved after 5000 and 15000 miles, so we are hoping that ours will improve, too.

But 15 city and 21 highway is pretty poor performance...

Other than that, we love our car.
    has a lot to do with your driving style, unfortunately. On the same car (subaru impreza) I get 25MPG, my wife 30MPG. I don't drive MPV almost at all but my wife gets 21+ in all city driving. EPA numbers are averages I think. If you look at your sticker, it says that some people will get +/- X driving the same vehicle.
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    kczmudzin is right on the money. It all depends on your driving style, weather condition, load of the car, tires. My ES02 driving mostly in a city makes 20 miles to the gallon but I drive mostly alone. Maybe once a week with my wife and a dog (which is skinny because it is Italian Greyhound). I am pretty sure that if I start aggressive driving and use AC all the time or load a minivan full of kids my mileage will go down to hell.

MB
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Maltb,
    Actually, I'm quit skilled. Obviously more than most here judging by the lack of good detailed replies.

I definitely wasn't looking for a pissing war that's for sure. However, I can never assume that somebody has knowledge and I'd hate to give advice that could make a person more dangerous than they started out.

Concerning the test light, notice I did specify LED which does not allow current to flow through it and won't set off an airbag. Besides, there are no air bag wires on the radio harness.

Good luck on the install.
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    I gave up on the OE ashtray. I use a small ceramic planter in one of the cupholders on the front of the clutter catcher. Deep enough to rest a fresh cigarette in and perfectly positioned for ash tapping without taking eyes off road.
    Revolting habit, though--wish I could quit--and believe me, I've tried.

:{

RJ
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    kczmudzin - The free market has rejected the idea of almost everything on the car being an option. In the 80's while some car companies were making things like disk brakes and radios options, Toyota and Honda and others started offering several levels of trim with a few options. Why? Because it cost a lot less. They could include lots of features for what competitors who priced individual features separately charged for just a couple of the same features. It makes manufacturing more efficient, inventory management easier, and the ordering process simpler. Individual preferences were handled by trim level and packages, and options were left for the really big, expensive things, or things that could easily be handled by the dealer (like floor mats). The consumer chose the Toyota/Honda approach. Unless your preference is for a totally stripped down van, it's saving you money to get the things you don't want along with those you do. If they priced out just the features you want, and managed them individually you'd pay hundreds or thousands more.

As far as trusting people in private enterprise to make decisions, that's fine, but the free market doesn't ensure that those decisions are good. It just punishes when their stupid. If you look at GM over the years, it's made its share of stupid decisions, and rutger3 is just making the point that this could be another.
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    When bought our 2002 LX, we got the cassette player and not the roof rack It seems that the rack is actually bolted straight to the roof and is therefore a factory job. I am correct? Any alternate suggestions? It turns out we may need a rack this summer. Thanks.
    Well, there are a bunch of options. You can buy a Thule or Yakima rack, or you can buy a factory rack. Basically, the Thule and Yakima racks are better built and are rated to hold more weight than the 100lbs that the factory rack is rated for.

The Thule and Yakima racks don't require drilling the roof either. There are others also, so I'd suggest shopping around for something that fits your needs and wallet.

/j
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    If I am not mistaken (and I often am, just ask Java), one of the major touted changes on the 2002 is seat belt pretensioners. This is another reason that a 5-star frontal crash test is expected.
    I was looking at a 2002 MPV brochure, and low-n-behold, the last entry under 'Options and Option Packages' is "GFX Package: Front Spoiler, Side Spoiler, Rear Spoiler," optional on both vans. I thought it was nixed, glad if it isn't.

Also, an auto-dimming mirror w/ OUTSIDE temp is optional, according to the brochure. Wasn't an outside temp gauge on someone's wish list?

Re: seatbelt pre-tensioners... I don't know what type of pre-tensioners you mean, but the NHTSA website lists seatbelt pre-tensioners as 'std' equipment on the 2002 MPV. Do you mean pre-tensioners as in 'explosive' pre-tensioners or another mechanism? Fwiw, I thought the frontal impact rating of 4stars was more due to intrusion in the driver's left footwell than anything else. That, I'd love to see be improved.

My greatest 'want' for the seatbelts is for the front passenger position to be either non-ratcheting or at least if it would not prematurely go into ratcheting mode. Our van has always locked up that belt if you move it too quickly. It'll lock and you have to unbuckle and let it reel all the way back b4 it'll release. Totally annoying, and of course the dealership has never been able to duplicate it :-S.

/java
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    That was changed in 2001 produced after November, 2000. They made the seatbelt 150 mm longer and ALR trip point was increased by 200 mm.

So, it seems that it is already addressed :-)

Here is more info:

http://www.vakcer.com/mpv/info/prb/3554.htm

• bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Java...I noticed that too, listed on their website. Is it available on every color now? I did not see a specific color listed. Great, just when I though I had my dream van figured out, something else pops up. Now I have to find out if they offer the GFX package in Coastal Blue. Plus, I will have to save another month! Great. (If you haven't figured it out by now, I am also on the "other" MPV list under my real name!)

As far as the crash test scores, I believe that Mazda did do some minor structure changes to improve them. That, combined with the new seat belts should do the trick. (I doubt the extra 150 lbs came from .5 extra liters of engine or one more tranny gear...unfortunately I can't point to my source for the structure information!)
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    I opted against the factory roof rack because it is only rated for 100 lbs. and because I had heard that on certain cars you can get wind noise from the rack. I don't know if the MPV is prone to noise or not, but I just figured I'd avoid a possible annoyance. Since I already had a lot of Yakima rack parts, I just picked up what I needed (the Q-towers and the MPV specific clips) to install my Yakima crossbars on the MPV. The Yakima rack is rated to 165 lbs. and since I may put a canoe and bike on top (potentially getting into the 100 lb. range), I figured having the extra 65 lbs. capacity builds in a safety margin. Plus when I don't need the rack I remove it and (theoretically) get better gas mileage than I would with a permanently installed rack.

Note that to properly install the Yakima rack, the front of the front towers will be exactly ten inches behind the top windshield trim. Then the two crossbars must be exactly 36 inches apart, per Yakima instructions. The Mazda factory installed rack allows the crossbars to be adjusted to whatever you wish. Yakima racks could be a problem for some people if they need to put something on the roof that requires a specific (and different) crossbar distance then 36 inches. In my case I was able to drill out new holes in the bottom of my car top carrier box to fit the 36 inch requirement, but that may not always be a solution depending on what you carry. I was told that I could "probably" get away with moving the crossbars to different distances, but it could be rather tricky to install and the attachment may not be as secure as when following the instructions (i.e. Can you do it? Yes. Is it recommended? Not really. You're on your own if you try.)

Can anyone offer comments on Thule or other aftermarket roof racks and how they install and how convenient they are to use?

FWIW, keep in mind that just because a rack is rated for a certain weight doesn't necessarily mean it is a good idea to load it right up to capacity. The more weight on top, the higher the center of gravity and the more likely a rollover could occur. And when carrying a box on top like I do, wind buffetting can increase, especially with a strong crosswind and/or a lot of truck traffic.

Hope this helps. danandkat
    Yes, I had to get a slide rule out, but I'm onto you now Bean, lol. ;-)

Alex, re: the ratcheting belts, (I should know this...) did they remove the ratcheting altogether or just lengthen the belt. I know the lengthened the belt by 15mm though and have thought about pushing for a retro on my van. If they removed the ratcheting mechanism, I'm all over gettting a retrofit. Thx!

/j
    So, the Clips do work on the Yak? I was going to convert to the Q-towers (using rails right now) since I have them for my other car already. Then I can sell my RailRiders (yay).

/j
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    If they'll retrofit the vans, I'd be glad to get the extra six inches on the seat belt length and remove/reduce the ratcheting.

(It's easier than dieting, that's for sure!)
    No, ALR is still there. Just the belt is longer and it starts to lock even later. I don't think they'll remove ALR from the passanger seatbelt because technically you can place a child seat there (it is not recommended, but in some case you just can't put a child seat in the back, like when a child has a special medical condition and you are alone in the car and should assist the child from time to time)...

Anyway, that's what I know but I may be wrong (usual disclaimer :-).

As far as retrofitting goes, I guess it would be better to complain to the dealer. There is a repair instructions to dealers explaining how to replace the seatbelt that shows the problem (see the link I posted above). So they should be able to do this. I don't know if that's a warranty repair or not, but same thing with 2nd row seatbelt buckles and child seats. They replace them free of charge if you complain (at least AFAIK): http://www.vakcer.com/mpv/info/tsb/0800101.htm

when I was buying ES02. Now I see it is available. Does anyone know if this option can be installed by a dealer or it has to come factory installed? From the website at www.mazdausa.com looks like this is factory only option. Do I have to drive to Hiroshima to get it installed?

MB
  • husker92husker92 Member Posts: 44
    Great, just bought our LX last week, now they add the GFX. Even without, still the coolest van out there.

Bean, it does not come in coastal blue (per the web-site). Does anyone know of any pictures of the GFX package on the web?

Also, has anyone ever installed the rear spoiler? Does it have to be done by the dealer?
    There are some vans in MPV Gallery that have GFX installed on them (the white and red ones): http://www.vakcer.com/mpv/gallery/index.htm

Oh, and don't think that Kan's van comes like this from factory :-)

• bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Are you really that tall? Those headrests are sure extended to the sky...and I didn't see any snow.
    :))
    What you talking about Mr. B? I'm a giant 5'8" tall. What are you looking at?

Here's a pic of a GFX-clad MPV. It's a bit artsy, but you get it... No, that's not my summer home (I wish)

/j (props to Mazda for the pic)

All new buyers can get bumper to bumper coverage from Geico. The car has to be no older than 11 months and has to have no more than 11k. I just received the quote for Mazda MPV ES 2002 and the cost is $60 a year. The deductible is $250 on any repair. You can get the coverage for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Sounds really interesting....

MB
    Thanks mazda guy and kczmudzin for the info. But we drive pretty conservatively here except for the speed, in which we just go as fast as the traffic -- no more, no less. Street is gentle starts, speed limit, and so on.

Hard to figure out what the deal is with the new 02, but 3 mpg less on city and highway seems like a awful lot. Can it be I have only a 1000 miles on it?

I bought a new Mazda 626 in '86. It was rated at 22 and 28. As soon as I drove it out of the lot, I was getting 25 combined and around 32 on the highway, even fully loaded with friends and luggage. Great car, though it was usually panned by the "experts" who write about cars in the car 'zines.

Anyway, I'm going to check the tire inflation, get tranny fluid changed when I go for the first service, and keep watching it. Hopefully, it will get better. I may try reducing speed a bit in the freeway -- I PROMISE I WILL DRIVE ON THE RIGHT HAND LANE -- and see what happens.

Talk to ya all soon

MEC
    Yes, it's because you only have 1k miles on your van. After, oh, 5,000 miles, your mileage should increase nicely. At least that's what alot of people have noticed since the '00s came out. It doesn't help that your having to use that nasty Californian fuel either. Sad, but true. :-)

/j
    Oooops, forgot. I was offered 100K extended warranty on the MPV for a gazillion dollars. I said no thanks. Not "thanks but no thanks", just no thanks.

The F&I guy at the dealer then said "hows about I make ya a deal, only $699? I said "I can get it from Geico for a few dollars a month. If you can't beat that, fogeddaboudit."

All this to say that this web site helped prepare me for the car purchase process, but also helped me with the related items such as insurance, scotch guard, superman paint extras, etc. Thanks to Edmunds for enlightening my research to the many nuances of not just buying a car, but the many other things one needs to be prepared to decide about that are so important.

I just received reply from Geico to my email

Hello there,
    Right now I have factory guaranty that is good for 3
    years or 50,000 miles. Therefore, for another three
    years I will be paying Geico with no benefits at this
    time but that is OK.

The question is what guaranty do I have that Geico
    after 3 years will not increase my coverage premium by,
    for example, $100 or will not cancel my policy
    altogether in which case I would have paid Geico for
    three years for nothing.

Geico reply edited...

Insurance companies frequently reevaluate their rates in the light of economic conditions and the driving record of the insuring public.  In this way, we are able to realize the purpose of insurance - the equal distribution of losses
    among the insuring public.  This principle is used by all insurers.

• dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    The gorgeous GFX package AND the autodiming mirror with compas and temperature??? Gods must be smiling at me!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Enjoyed your rack post. I didn't have any "36 inch apart" or "10 inch back" instructions for the towers on my Quest setup, so I guess you must be referring to the space requirements for mounting your rocket box - I prolly skimmed over that message. (Or maybe I ignored that part of the instructions<g>). I have marks on my roof from where the racks lived for ten months, but they aren't too noticeable.

My factory racks didn't have the juice to handle my boats. Thule has a good reputation, but I had an "in" to get a discount on the Yak stuff.

Here's a link you might enjoy.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Steve--I'll save that link for some night when I can't fall asleep. :<D I am looking right at my rack instructions and it specifically states that the "M2" distance is ten inches, and the "M4" distance is thirty-six inches. (M2 is 'Yakima-ese' for distance from windshield to front of front tower, and M4 is crossbar distance). I also called Yakima just to double check that they weren't fooling about these distances and the rep said that they meant it--but if I tried making adjustments it would probably work (within reason) but I was on my own. I, too, had an "in" with Yakima back from my days of putting more miles on my two wheelers than on four wheelers.

Javadoc--The Yakima is rock solid. I put a "Karri-rite"(sp?) box on top and it worked great. I carried lightweight stuff up top (sleeping bags, tent, etc.) and had no problem. I picked up some of my Yakima stuff on ebay, and some from the Rack Warehouse.

Also, I saw on http://www.mazdastuff.com that they have an aftermarket roof rack that is to be permanently installed. Price of $137.00. Attachments not included. I am not recommending, just advising what I found. Caveat emptor.

danandkat

• mtnbkrmtnbkr Member Posts: 5
    Where is the best place to buy an MPV in the Puget Sound region? Thanks.

Also, looking at the website didn't see any options on handling; is it possible to get an MPV with rear anti-roll bar and/or stiffer bar in front? "Sport" shocks? ??
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    Thanks for all the info. I'll be looking into it soon.
  • daddyo4daddyo4 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone for the info on these boards. Have been researching MPV for six months. I'm ready to buy soon and Mazda comes out with more stuff - GFX pkg! The video on the mazdausa.com talks about a carbon dash coming later. What other cool stuff is coming out that I should wait on? Does anyone outside Mazda really know or do you just search the web like me?

Thanks.
    Yes,Yes,Yes and YES. Sooooo Glad to hear the GFX package is back. I always felt it took a little of the soccer mom look away from the van. Should look really nice with 17in rims. Wife is really glad ext Temp was added. I guess the compass will be a bonus for us.

Now all I really would like to see is the $1500 rebate. Wonder if it will happen?
    Maybe, the new KIA will help push the idea with Mazda.
  • protege8protege8 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, mtnbkr:

We bought our 2000 MPV LX ($200 below invoice)on August 2, 2000(Milam Mazda in Puyullap) and 2001 Protege LX ($200 above invoice) on Oct 2, 2001(Russ Dunmire Mazda at Tacoma) from the same person even we live in North Seattle. If you have interest, send me an email (protege8@hotmail.com).

Protege8
    <disclaimer>Now, this is a rumor... r-u-m-o-r.</disclaimer>

There's talk that there will be a dvd-based rear seat entertainment system (another RSES?) that is/was planned for release later this year, as an option. I read it right here on Edmunds. "Mazda says that a DVD-based entertainment system to keep the kids occupied will likely be an available option later in 2002."

I'm sure there are more surprises, but don't let that stop you from buying!

/java