Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    white wheel well
    white reel well
    right wheel yell
    might sweel as well
    quite real squirrel

...I give up...

/J
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    You need to tell your wife to reduce your daily coffee allowance by half.
    Actually, my intake is rising... more classes = more caffeine demanded. I'm quickly closing in on 2#/mth.

The beige interior of our MPV is highly conducive to java-consumtion.

/Java
  • I posted last week about adding rear heat aftermarket, which sounds like can't be done. The only problem I find is that when you blow the heat at 3 or 4 fan speed (in order to keep the little kiddies warm in the back), it roasts you out in the front. I'd prefer to have front and back and run them both at 1 or 2.

Looks like I'll have to trade in my 2000 for a 2002 w/ 3.0 and rear heat... bummer. ;-)
    Yeah, I don't think there's a way to retofit it, unless you put in a portable heater back there, or crack open a front window when you blast the heat...old school, but an option. Utah does get cold, and HOT, so I'd be wanting both rear heat and a/c back there.

/java
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,866

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,866
    Let the record show that MPV's own JAVADOC took top honors in tonight's Friday Freeway trivia contest. WTG java!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    tonight?:) Way to go Java! I didn't think you had it in ya:)

Pjd58
    It was definitely a blue moon, and it was snowing in Vegas, I mean...the other place.

I want to thank the little people that I stepped on to get where I am today! ALso, my employer will be happy to know I did something constructive for a change instead of surf edmunds all day long.

/Java
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Java, have you been there alone? Then no wonder you are the winner...
    And the topic wasn't even "Underpowered Mazda Minivans" or "Boosted Swedish Sedans."

...see what I get for sharing my knowledge? lol!

/J
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Don't get me wrong. You know I was joking, right?
    ...of course I did!

/J
  • Now I know why there's always a puddle of water behind the right rear tire - and an annoying rust stain forming on my garage floor, which makes me wonder...why does the condensation have rust in it and will I be looking forward to a rusted-through quarter panel someday down the road?

Yes, we're still using A/C in November!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Rust? weird...I've never seen that on mine. A/C in November? doesn't everybody? (stop throwing snowballs Javadoc) I ran mine yesterday...still a clear puddle of water: no rust.
    I've never seen rust from the van around the a/c, that is odd scarter. Could it possibly be from dirt? Clay in soil can do funky stuff, and can look like rust, so my geologist co-workers tell me. I should throw snowballs at you, if you can use a/c in November.

a hex on you maltb...

/java
  • Could it be condensation from the rear resonator? You know, that little muffler thing back there. That may be the source of your rusty water, the exhaust system, while stainless steel, still has components inside that may rust.

Combustion and catalytic converters produce water, so that is a possible source of rusty water.

FWIW

TB
  • I thought it was the muffler-looking-resonator-thing at first, but the water actually drops ahead of the tailpipe directly behind the tire. I'm fairly certain it's a/c condensation...looks like I'll have to do some further investigation, like lying under the van for 20 minutes with a flashlight while running the a/c (and hoping the wife doesn't decide to go to the store!);)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone !!!!
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Posts: 196
    You better be careful. That may just be the opportunity she has been waiting for. If I were you I would tell her you have to take the van in for her one day and make her drive your car. Thats the only way I get to use the MPV. You may even want to let the air out of one of the tires and volunteer to have it fixed, if you want to use it. Hhehehehehehe

Funny how its always the drivers front tire that needs fixed huh dear?
    Oh, a flat tire routine, good one! I usually use the "I can get your van cleaned out on my lunch break, so why don't we trade cars for today?" scheme.

/J
  • smug, as proprietor and sole owner of the MPV President McKinley, I don't gotta show nobody no stinkin' excuses. It's mine, all mine!

But a confession. Wednesday night I was out for a celebratory pre-thanksgiving dinner with my brother and sister-in-aw, who were up for the holidays from Georgia. MaryAnn was the designated driver--I confess a fault, her designation was useful-- and she drove home. That evil woman drove the heck out of the Prez. Handled it like an Indy driver, she did. And the Prez, faithless wretch that it is, practically slobbered its gratitude at her. It was sprightly, quick, confident. I had almost as much fun riding in it as she was having driving it [of course, those two perfect Manhattens I'd had before dinner might have contributed a bit to my sense of adventure]. I was really impressed at how well it behaved with four people in it--four fully figured middle-aged types. Really renewed my respect for the beast, so much so that I might someday forgive it for its perfidy at the hands of another driver.

Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving with family and assorted rugrats

RJ
    There is only one problem with this flat routine. Yesterday it bit me in the [non-permissible content removed]. She had in fact been having a slow leak in the drivers front. The second in a week mind you. So I took the MPV to the tire store. You would have thought the day after T-day would have been an excellent time with everyone in the retail stores. That was a mistake. Apparently, there was a run on travelers fixing their cars. So when the clerk told me it would take 4 hours to fix the flat, I decided to put the spare on and leave the alloy for them to fix.

Well I found out this. DO NOT TRUST THE OEM JACK! The MPV almost fell off. If it hadn't been for the wheel catching the lugs, I'd be less one toe I am sure. Fortunately they let me use the floor jack and I got it straightened out. I think I will be putting the small hydrolic in today!

I did notice one thing, the spare or the tranny, one of the two, do not like each other. There is a terrible groaning noise while running on the spare. But I do get to have the MPV all weekend. Too bad it's raining, I can't open the sunroof, ;(.

Laters,

MSGJVH
  • Hey all you out there,... is it better to ride with the overdrive on or off? I do mostly city driving with occasional highway. No hills or mountains in Flordia to worry about.:0)
    You will get better gas mileage with the OD engaged. Keeping it off downshifts the tranny giveing you more power (arrgggghhh) but eats up gas. I believe that is why Mazda designed it to always have the OD engaged until you push the button. Then they can claim the higher mileage to Uncle Sam.
    True, using the O/D in the "on" position (there's a light on the dash that come on when it's OFF) will give you better mileage. Some owners have been reporting using the O/D switch to help them in city or hilly driving. My local terrain isn't very hilly, so I just leave it on, except for one mountain pass when I go fishing...very steep for miles, so I take the van out of O/D for that.

/java
  • by pressing harder on the gas pedal 8^)

Try it both ways, but I suspect the computer is smarter about when to shift than I am.

I rarely catch it at a bad time and force a hard shift. Most of my hard shifts are when I'm letting up on the throttle, so the comptuer decides to shift, at that same instant, I'm mashing into the throttle again. Guaranteed a hard, ugly shift.

I suspect I would get the same behavior, sans overdrive, since this is usually around town.

FWIW,

TB
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    I decided to check the air filter on my 2001 - 17K miles. I saw a reference to the K&N filters, two clips to remove filter, etc.
    OK, I give up guys! There was no way on earth that the filter was going to "slide" out of the housing. I popped the clips then noticed it was bolted to part of the fender well. Then saw two wiring harnesses clipped on to the housing (we're talking about the "filter" half housing here - not the half connected to the intake on the engine). After undoing all that I saw that the housing was jammed up against the inside fender well and was blocked. I could open the housing about 1/8 inch - if I gritted my teeth. It could not move up or back or sideways. I wasn't about to disconnect everything from the other half.
    Through sweat & tears (and my wife asking me why I was cussing..the kids saying "Daddy!!) I removed the battery. I rotated eveything foward and changed the filter, rotated back, slid the intake back onto the housing - reinstalled the battery. Phew - that was easy.... :)) Ha.
    What did everyone else do to change that filter out? I've been working on cars for 48 years and never ran into anything as goofy as this - well, there was that fuel pump on a Bronco II that was almost as bad...they built the car around it.
    IIRC, there are four clips to loosen, then you pull the two halves of the airbox apart (not terribly easy/not impossible) and pull the OEM filter out. Now you can place the new filter into the opening in the airbox. The K&N filter is thinner than the OEM filter, so it s/b easier to replace.

If that doesn't help, check your email (I send you a message)

/Java
    I've always been able to separate the tops enough to squeeze the filter out. That does remind me I need to clean the K&N but first I have to buy a charging kit. Maybe I can do that today. That sounds like something I can do in the utility room where its nice and warm.

Hey, anyone going to be at the MPV Chat this afternoon? I will try if the wife doesn't drag me out of the house.

MSGJVH
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    Okay, this has probably been discussed before,but whenever one of the rear windows is open and no others,there is a loud deep bass like sound,until I open one of the front windows. has anyone else experienced this?(besides Toyota Highlander drivers).