Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    The drivetrain is one of the most important aspects of a vehicle! Mazda's 2.5L engine is part of the reason why I have a 01 Highlander. It's water under the bridge now, but I can't understand why Mazda/Ford chose to use such a small engine in such a large vehicle. Mazda should have at least made the 3.0L an option. After all, my understanding is the 3.0L engine just has a larger bore and/or stroke. It's like Ford had an overstock of 2.5L pistons that they didn't want see go to waste.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I have my auto insurance through them. They sent me a notice in the mail to let me know that I'm pre-approved for a $17K auto loan. Considering they have the lowest insurance premiums I've ever seen, I thought I'd check them out to see what their interest rates are like. I can apply for a larger loan, and their rates are 5.5% for a fixed rate, or 4% for a variable rate. I would need to find out the highest the variable rate can go before I'd consider it. Sounds like a good rate though, and better than the one my credit union has.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    The 3.0 Duratec in the MPV is bulletproof when maintained properly. It is no relation at all to the Vulcan 3.0 used in the Windstar.

The JATCO 5-Speed auto is also a solid unit. JATCO supplies transmissions for Mazda, Nissan, Jaguar, and Rover to name a few.

We absolutely love our 02 LX. Although we only have 7,000 miles over 6 months we have not had a single issue. We average around 20-21 mpg in 60-40.

Up to 4,500 the Duratec is as smooth as the 3.0 in our previous Nissan Quest.

Make the deal!!! You will love the van. It's the best value for the money on the market today. The more you drive it the more you will appreciate it.

Mark.
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    I kinda like having a minivan that revs close to 7K RPMs.

I would like a manual tranny however.

But our "underpowered" 2.5L MPV has netted my my only two speeding tickets in the past 8 or 9 years. One was doing 80 at the top of Monteagle (IIRC, Steve will probably correct me) between Nashville and Chatanooga, TN. Of course I was pushing the century mark on the way up, and had let off, having proven the MPV could go that fast uphill with four people, luggage and a car carrier on the top to boot.

You would have a hard time convincing me the MPV was slow.

It's not quick, but it aint slow.

TB
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's the one :-)

And it's TN, not TX, but you have time to edit, lol.

(gotta watch you guys like a hawk don't I?)

Steve, Host
    Mum lives in TX, force of habit
  • lyndamarielyndamarie Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone in the US know anything about getting a center console (that attaches to the van so you don't have a problem in the event of an accident)? A guy in Canada has one (ttp://www.istargazer.ca/mpv/console.htm), but the dealer in Colo Spgs says it's just for the Canadian market and the dealers there would not be able to ship it to the US (sounds strange?)

I'd like a little extra storage space without the stuff sliding around. Help anyone?!? Lynda
    People recommend the ~$25 ones sold at Wal-Marts, etc., but I don't know anything about how they attached to the car.

Steve, Host
    ???????????
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    engine is an import fee issue... 2.5 and less don't pay the fee, but above it there is an import fee. I don't know the amount, but you can go down the line of Japanese imports and see how many limit their engine size at 2.5 or add a turbo to make up. The assembled in US minivans such as Honda and Toyota don't have the same restriction or import fee.

John
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I still don't know why the 2.5L motor in the MPV is so knocked. The base Caravan has a 3.3L making 'only' 180hp, weighs 4000lbs and (for reasons that escape me, except for price) people love them.

So, maybe the new SV model may just be what the Dr. ordered to hit that buyer segment, AND, it would have more power than the low-end Caravan! Not a bad move, imho.
    Once_for_all,

Is this "import fee" you speak of fact or speculation? If true, then why did Mazda/Ford switch to the 3.0L? Besides, why would there be a tariff on an engine originally built in the U.S.? Doesn't Ford assemble the engines in the U.S., then ship them to Mazda for installation? Or does Ford ship Mazda engine parts to be asembled in another factory in Japan?

---

Tboner,

It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can get there.

---

Javadoc,

You've also got to consider other factors like torque, NHV, etc.

---

Bottgers,

What was your question?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    If you think back a number of years almost every engine coming out of japan was 3.0litre or less. They often used turbo's to get more hp....at that time anything with a 3.0 or more was heavily taxed by japan. This tax has since gone away or has been reduced and this is why we have seen an increase in litre size....

I don't remember the exact tax amount or what the exact date of the taxes but it went away back in the early to mid 90's.
    I think Mazda's offering 0%, but I do recall you might need rebate money instead to help you get out of the Intrepid.

One great thing about financing and insuring with USAA. They offer a version of GAP insurance when you finance with them, "free". If your payoff is greater than the value of the vehicle should it get stolen, totalled, etc, USAA insurance will pay off the vehicle.

It's a pretty good deal if you plan to finance for 60 months.

Still doesn't protect you if you want to trade, but it does protect you from having no vehicle and still owing a bunch if it gets totally bent.

TB
    The engines are manufactured by Ford in Ohio and shipped to Japan. I bet the Japanese MPV's probably still get the smaller V6 or even the 4 cylinder petrol and diesel engines, not to mention a manual tranny.
    I don't need any money to get out of the Intrepid, not from Mazda anyway. I wish I could do the 0% financing, but it requires a certain amount of a down payment, and I don't know if I could handle the amount of those payments. They'd be a bit high for me.

I just found out more about USAA's variable rate loan. It can be as low as 4%, but it can also go as high as 18%. Anyone like to gamble? Not me. I'll take the fixed rate of 5.5%. It's still lower than any place else I could find for 60 months. USAA is great and they provide a lot of good services and coverages.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I don't have any of the details you ask for regarding taxes/amounts/dates (ya, that is what I tell my IRS auditor too :-)) etc. on the imports, just second hand info from this board. The 2.5 liter tax issue was a post from a year or two ago on this board.

Regarding the MPV switch to 3.0, IMO it came as marketing response to criticism of being thirsty and underpowered, and competition from the Ody and Sienna who both came out with 200+ hp engines in 2001. The 3.0/5speed tranny was moved in much faster than normal for such a new model. Along with that came a big Mazda push for the zoom zoom sporty image to position itself in a different niche than the mainstream minivan.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Acutally, the Japanese-market MPV has three powertrain offerings: a 2.3L (4cyl) fwd platform, a 2.3L (4cyl) AWD (YAY) platform and a 3.0L (V6) fwd platform.

Link: Mazda of Japan

As well, I am fairly certain the 2.5L (Ford motor) was used because they needed to use more US content in the vehicle due to taxes, not because of the engine size. As for that engine size, I had thought (my opinion) that it was used b/c the Contour/Mistake was being shelved, so there was an abundance of that motor to be had. But, I'm sure that if I'm wrong someone much more informed that me will help keep me honest.

Tb, I hear ya regarding your comments, and concur. My opinion of DC's 3.3L is it sounds like a truck motor (hmmm, it is?) so it's as smooth as fingernails over a chalkboard... while the 2.5L Duratec is 'like butta.' You and I have both had the pleasure of two cars w/this motor. ;)
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Thanks. I made the deal. I did not know it but my daugher in law had a Mazda MPV in the late 90s and she said she loved it. They had to trade it in for a bigger van when the kids started arriving.

I was amused to get offers from the Edmunds dealer quote requests. They were usually come ons to get you in the show room. I stuck with the Edmunds TMV price the dealer met it and threw in some nice options.

Thank Goodness for Edmunds!!!
    Tom
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Took my new MPV on a trip into Wisconsin (from MN.) about 150 miles round trip and loved it. Good handling, smooth riding, etc. Mileage appears to be running around 21 or so on that trip. 200 miles on her now and growing!
    Kids had PLENTY of room and wife enjoyed the quiet ride (compared to old DC).

Worth the 4 month wait for sure!

Zoom-Zoom!
  • dwsmhadwsmha Member Posts: 35
    Stop it! I don't want to hear about your van until I get mine... :) Just kidding. It hit California shore on 2/18, should be here this week... I guess they weren't on the same boat.

David
    Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and mine is I'm glad I waited for the 3.0L. No offense to any 2.5L owners, but I think Ford tried to pull a fast one and got caught with their pants down.

---

Tboner,

I agree, a manual transmission would be nice.

---

Tomj5,

Congrats on the new mini! BTW, got any P51 Mustangs in your collection?

---

And thanks to Once_for_all and Audia8q for the added info.
    Don't fret. You'll love it once you get it.
    When you first told me about your quick delivery date I was surprised and maybe a little doubtful knowing what I knew then. But your's sounds like it's tracking right behind mine in normal fashion anyway.
    Dumb thing is that my unit arrived in the St. Paul facility staging area via rail and the dealer wasn't notified it had arrived. The dealer had to check with Chicago and here to finally find out what had happened to it!! For a while my MPV was 'lost' in the system! It arrived in the TC's on 2/7, they found it on 2/13 and I got it on 2/20! So dumb things can happen right in our own 'backyard' after the unit traveled halfway around the world...dah.

Riding in this thing is like heaven compared to my old lumber wagon DC. It's funny how you get use to a vehicle when you drive it everyday and don't notice the noise and squeaks so much as they get worse:))

Oh yeah, I think I will continue to change my oil every 3K miles too...going for 180K miles on this baby!! Don't care what the general thought is. It's worked for me on my other vehicles and it can't hurt.

Later, TC
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I agree with scanner, Ford did try a fast one with the 2.5 engines just to save money. Then they realized their mistake after taking a look at the competition; and reading the negative reviews. I have the 2.5 and it is certainly not like butter. If it got better mileage than the larger engines it would at least be a trade off,but it doesn't. BTW,it wouldn't surprise me if the 01 mpv was by far the heaviest vehicle with a 2.5 engine. Correct me if I am wrong.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Oh yeah, Mustangs rule forever! I will be driving the new MPV to the OSKOSH EAA show this summer. The right seat on the MPV lets down to make a nice bed with the middle seats. I can snooze while the wife drives. She loves the new MPV.

Lots of real Mustangs at the EAA.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    After lurking here for 4 months, I joined the club. I'll be picking up our MPV LX either tonight (if mother nature allows it) or tomorrow.

Options were: Power Doors, Rear AC, 4 seasons, 6 Disc Changer, Traction Control/Side Airbags, Fog lights, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Roof Rack, Rear Spoiler, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Wheel Locks.

Got S-Plan pricing (the only way to buy a car, cheap and no haggling), and took the 0% financing.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for all the info I learned here.
    Another one!

Steve, Host
  • anydaynowanydaynow Member Posts: 3
    What model year MPV did Mazda begin to install the lower anchors for car seats? I realize the top tether anchors were there from the first year they launched the latest generation MPV.
  • dvd03dvd03 Member Posts: 1
    go checkout ocsavings.com..they have loans at 3.95% for 60 mos.. Do not get variable rate loan. bad bad bad idea.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I believe they started putting the LATCH in the '02 MPV. (Of course, our '02 MPV has 'em)

-Brian
  • chetbobchetbob Member Posts: 18
    After numerous trips to showroom, finally took the plunge. Was undeceided between Hyundai Santa Fe aand the MPV. Finally deceided on the MPV today. Getting the LX with the 4 seasons package, moon roof with wind deflector, rear a/c, rear step bumper, cargo net, luggage rack and wheel locks, in blue coastal metallic. Will probably pick it up Monday March 3rd. Hope the car is trouble free as the closest dealer is 50 miles. Bob
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    It seems amazing (to me personally) that you can be stuck between a compact SUV and a minivan. Minivans, even the smaller MPV, tend to have more usable interior space than full-size SUVs. Also they have seven passenger seating compared to five. Great choice though!
    You made the right choice. I ordered my 03 LX and waited 3.5 months for it. I have similar options as the one you're getting plus 6cd/cass., traction control, GFX and Fogs.
    It has been worth the wait!! I researched the small suv's (Tribute,Santa Fe, CRV), Highlander, other minivans, and landed on the MPV for style and features for the money. I test drove ALL of these units. I even drove a Tribute for a week and while I loved the feel of it, the space of the MPV put me over on IT.
    Happy Zoom-Zooming to you...you should not regret it.
    The dealers in the Denver area still have quite a few new '02's on their lots. They're giving $2k cash back on the '03's, and $2.5K back on the '02's. Besides tires and wheels, are there any other differences between the two year models? If not, I don't see why I shouldn't take an '02 and the additional $500. I can live with with 15" tires and wheels. They actually ride a little nicer, and are less expensive to replace than 16's.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Get the 03. The 02 is worth 2k less than an 03 the minute you drive it off the lot. So if the diff is only 500-1000 buy the '03 unless you are going to keep it 6-10yrs.
    I'm financing the MPV for 72 months regardless of which year model I buy, so I don't think the difference in resale value is an issue. What is an issue is whether or or not there are any differences in features between the two model years that may sway my decision one way or another.
    Bottgers,

I'd go for the 03 even though there was a price increase of approximately $400. The 03s included a better warranty, floor/cargo mats, bumper step plate, exhaust tip, improved hwy gas mileage, and probably a bunch of other small improvements that we know nothing about.
    How can there be an improvement in highway mileage when the engines and trannys are indentical in the two model years? I think a lot will depend on what options are on the vans when we look at them the day we look at them. We will probably go to as many Mazda dealers as we can hit in one day. We will have to choose one that day as well.
    The EPA ratings did go up slightly for the '03 models. Maybe there was different tuning in the engine control computer or something.

Steve, Host
    .....nothing was actually changed in the engine, maybe they just changed the mileage figure.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Seems to me that the dealers would be much more willing to make a 'deal' on the 2002's in stock. I would try to squeeze them. Scanners right about the value, so use it to your advantage in negotiating. If a good deal is not had on the 02, then get the 03.
    Mazda has made some changes on the MPV incentives today...

those of you planning on a MPV make sure you check with mazdausa.com for a complete update.
    ......but I didn't see any changes to the incentives. What's different?
    Where'd you go?
    I didn't go with the security system on my MPV, but am thinking about adding it now. I went to a local source and it would be about $300 INSTALLED. BUT, I have power sliders and the new FOB would only handle the front two doors and an AUX button to handle ONE of the sliders. Has anyone added an alarm system to an MPV with the power sliding rear doors??
    This is a fairly repretable local Twin Cities firm that stated they would "tear out" the existing keyless system to install theirs...this kinda scared me right away...my vehicle still has less than a grand in mileage on it!

Ideas?
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I didn't get one on our LX, because it wasn't available (which still baffles me).

Considering the power doors (like you mentioned) and such, I won't be installing one either.
    Make sure whatever system you get that it is authorized by mazda or installed by your mazda dealer. We have seen quite a few aftermarket alarm problems and they won't be covered by mazda's warranty. Most were installed by quality retailers but screwed things up by accident.

Rich
    Did you get my last email? What's your take on the subject?
    I thought I replied...but let me check. Nothing going on today at the dealership due to the snow. I was hoping for some exciting stuff on edmunds..LOL
    Funny thing is the dealer suggested I contact AudioKing (Local Electronics Store) and have them do it for less than the dealer could....dah!
    I think I'll just live without it. I've had vans for 15 years without it and survived. Can't see why my MPV would be a hot market item.