Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• mazda_guymazda_guy Posts: 183

I just received reply from Geico to my email

Hello there,
    Right now I have factory guaranty that is good for 3
    years or 50,000 miles. Therefore, for another three
    years I will be paying Geico with no benefits at this
    time but that is OK.

The question is what guaranty do I have that Geico
    after 3 years will not increase my coverage premium by,
    for example, $100 or will not cancel my policy
    altogether in which case I would have paid Geico for
    three years for nothing.

Geico reply edited...

Insurance companies frequently reevaluate their rates in the light of economic conditions and the driving record of the insuring public.  In this way, we are able to realize the purpose of insurance - the equal distribution of losses
    among the insuring public.  This principle is used by all insurers.

• dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    The gorgeous GFX package AND the autodiming mirror with compas and temperature??? Gods must be smiling at me!
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    Enjoyed your rack post. I didn't have any "36 inch apart" or "10 inch back" instructions for the towers on my Quest setup, so I guess you must be referring to the space requirements for mounting your rocket box - I prolly skimmed over that message. (Or maybe I ignored that part of the instructions<g>). I have marks on my roof from where the racks lived for ten months, but they aren't too noticeable.

My factory racks didn't have the juice to handle my boats. Thule has a good reputation, but I had an "in" to get a discount on the Yak stuff.

Here's a link you might enjoy.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• danandkatdanandkat Posts: 67
    Steve--I'll save that link for some night when I can't fall asleep. :<D I am looking right at my rack instructions and it specifically states that the "M2" distance is ten inches, and the "M4" distance is thirty-six inches. (M2 is 'Yakima-ese' for distance from windshield to front of front tower, and M4 is crossbar distance). I also called Yakima just to double check that they weren't fooling about these distances and the rep said that they meant it--but if I tried making adjustments it would probably work (within reason) but I was on my own. I, too, had an "in" with Yakima back from my days of putting more miles on my two wheelers than on four wheelers.

Javadoc--The Yakima is rock solid. I put a "Karri-rite"(sp?) box on top and it worked great. I carried lightweight stuff up top (sleeping bags, tent, etc.) and had no problem. I picked up some of my Yakima stuff on ebay, and some from the Rack Warehouse.

Also, I saw on http://www.mazdastuff.com that they have an aftermarket roof rack that is to be permanently installed. Price of $137.00. Attachments not included. I am not recommending, just advising what I found. Caveat emptor.

danandkat

• mtnbkrmtnbkr Posts: 5
    Where is the best place to buy an MPV in the Puget Sound region? Thanks.

Also, looking at the website didn't see any options on handling; is it possible to get an MPV with rear anti-roll bar and/or stiffer bar in front? "Sport" shocks? ??
  • prlamzprlamz Posts: 78
    Thanks for all the info. I'll be looking into it soon.
  • daddyo4daddyo4 Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone for the info on these boards. Have been researching MPV for six months. I'm ready to buy soon and Mazda comes out with more stuff - GFX pkg! The video on the mazdausa.com talks about a carbon dash coming later. What other cool stuff is coming out that I should wait on? Does anyone outside Mazda really know or do you just search the web like me?

Thanks.
  • pieracpierac Posts: 43
    Yes,Yes,Yes and YES. Sooooo Glad to hear the GFX package is back. I always felt it took a little of the soccer mom look away from the van. Should look really nice with 17in rims. Wife is really glad ext Temp was added. I guess the compass will be a bonus for us.

Now all I really would like to see is the $1500 rebate. Wonder if it will happen?
    Maybe, the new KIA will help push the idea with Mazda.
  • protege8protege8 Posts: 9
    Hi, mtnbkr:

We bought our 2000 MPV LX ($200 below invoice)on August 2, 2000(Milam Mazda in Puyullap) and 2001 Protege LX ($200 above invoice) on Oct 2, 2001(Russ Dunmire Mazda at Tacoma) from the same person even we live in North Seattle. If you have interest, send me an email (protege8@hotmail.com).

Protege8
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    <disclaimer>Now, this is a rumor... r-u-m-o-r.</disclaimer>

There's talk that there will be a dvd-based rear seat entertainment system (another RSES?) that is/was planned for release later this year, as an option. I read it right here on Edmunds. "Mazda says that a DVD-based entertainment system to keep the kids occupied will likely be an available option later in 2002."

I'm sure there are more surprises, but don't let that stop you from buying!

/java

• ryedogryedog Posts: 2
    We got a new 2002 LX (only add-ons: roof rack, mud guard, floor mats). Starting with only 20 total miles on the van, the first 600 miles = 22 mpg and next 350 miles = 25 mpg! However, that included three 150 mile round trips to SFO airport (all highway, but some major hills and curves). Overall, probably 75% highway, 25% city driving. I only went "pedal to the metal" twice
    (trying to baby it the first 1000 miles, but couldn't resist), and the rest of the time I went easy on the accelerator and the brakes as well as highway speeds. I'll be thrilled to get even better mileage if the 3.0 Duratec improves with age!

Upgraded from a '88 Camry with 170,000 miles (now the commute car) and loving every minute with our(gasp!) minivan. My better half and 3 year old agree. Thanks to everyone for all the comments on the Edmunds website for helping us make the right decision to buy the MPV, which fits our wants and needs perfectly!

Ryedog
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    Don't let the later availability of this option deter you from buying an MPV now. There are better, and cheaper ways of getting an entertainment system. I'm getting an awesome Panasonic DVD system from Tweeter (see tweeter.com for store locations) for $999 installed. It includes a 6.8" flip-down screen that can be rotated left and right. Two wireless headphones are included and so is an input for a video game system or any other video source.
  • pieracpierac Posts: 43
    I tend to agree about not waiting on the DVD. Auto manufactures seem to over charge for this option. However, I do favor factory installed options in most cases.
    There is also the option of a portable DVD player that may fit on the tray table. (Would need to secure somehow). You would then have the ability of taking the DVD with you if desired. They have ports for head phones. The prices are coming down and the screens are getting larger.
    I have read some where that lower mounted screens tend to lead to car sickness more than the roof mounted screens? I don't really know if this is true. Just a thought about the portables.
    Let's put together good Maintenance schedule for MPV. I have started below. Who can expand on it or modify?

First oil/filter change after 1,000 miles.

1. Change oil, filter, lubricate hinges etc - every 3,000 miles or every 4 months
    2. Change or clean air filter - every 12 months
    3. Change brake fluid - every 24,000 miles or every 2 years
    4. Change transmission fluid - every 36,000 miles or every 3 years
    5. Flush cooling system - every 36,000 miles or every 3 years
    6. Replace spark plugs - every 36,000 miles

MB
    You can compare your notes with ours in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Who said you need to change oil every 3,000 miles? Severe maintenance calls for 5,000 intervals, while regular schedule requires (I guess) 6,000 miles. Note that Canada completely falls within severe maintenance schedule, so there's no 6,000 here I guess because of salt in winter and humidity in summer. Anyway, I've been changing my oil according to manual every 8,000 km (5,000 miles) and so far so good (51,000 km) with not a single problem.

I believe 3,000 miles is a little be too frequent. MPV is not a Sienna after all :-)

Also item #2 denotes cabin air filter, not engine air filter. Engine air filter should be inspected every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) and replaced as needed.

My 0.02...
    Steve, I went to the link you suggested and from the table below the service interval is ridiculous.

MB

Service

Alex, there is a good write up (link below) about maintenance. I agree with the author that Factory schedules are underestimated because of marketing pressure to show potential buyers how little service a particular car needs. If someone intends to keep a car two - four years then frankly speaking one or two oil changes will be enough as well.

MB

Maintenance_II
  • {Sorry for the cross-post - I need some quick advice!}

Anybody had one of these installed? I only plan to "tow" a cargo-carrier. Just called a dealer and price was $450+ (part + installation), which is a bit pricey.

The alternative I'm looking at is one of those boxes that sit on the roof (Thule or Yakima). Yakima has one that will work w/ the OEM roof-rack. Any advice on this? Thanks.
    I "drive 'em forever" and I tend to let the dealer or shop talk me into more than the manufacturer's "recommended" service. Except on oil - I let that go to the "normal" service limit on my van. ymmv.

Steve
    Host

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Mazda was talking to me today about the entertainment package....estimated MSRP is expected to be $1200 with a 7'' screen and DVD...drop down from the roof.
    no other details.

Rich
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    In dash DVD player(not that you'd expect it elsewhere).
    Why not (jab jab) put it in the middle of the van, under the third row seats? LOL! Just poking fun.

In-dash would rock, and $1200 is a good price imho. Gosh, my wishlist grows daily. Rich, no details on possible release dates though? That'd be a great road trip option.

/j
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    All,

Any news on the Special Financing offer? Edmunds lists it as 4.9% for 60 months, but I have seen other sites that list 3.9% for 60 months and 4.9% for 72 months (that makes the payment go down!). I have also seen 1.9% for 48 months.

Anybody know what the real deal is? Otherwise, will check next visit to the dealer.
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    Were did you see that Bean? Hmmm, don't get me thinkin' now! Anyway, I'm sure I would take a complete bath on trade-in.

SC
    Did you turn state's evidence or something? ;-)

/j... who'd take 4.9 for 72, also
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I just gotta get used to the name.

Java,
    When I first saw the old VCP placement, I laughed and called somebody an idiot. It never went over well.
    ...blow his cover!

Fwiw, I took 72mth financing on my 2000 and I'm not upside down at 30mths in. Almost, but not quite. :)

/j
  • brantybranty Posts: 53
    I had a "hidden hitch" (#90083) installed on my 00 MPV by "Hitch City" 2 years ago - perfect fit. At the time the total cost was $270 installed ($195 for hitch and $39.95 for wiring plus tax). The price is in Canadian $$. When I asked about the hitch at Mazda they indicated that it was the same hitch. I have not had any problems with it since the installation.

Hope that helps

Bill.
  • azscouseazscouse Posts: 1
    We have a 1997 modelwhich is fine, if underpowered, exceptfor the A/C which struggles to cool the van down in an AZ summer. Both dealer and A/C shop have said "nothing wrong- it's supposed to be like that"

We are considering a 2002 model (ES) and wondered if anyone had any comments on the A/C effectiveness in the newer model(s).