Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,691
    I read about it in some Toyota literature from my dealer. It appeared to be in reference to people replacing the oem filter with other kinds. Not that there was a warranty issue, it just seemed like Toyota was advising its customers about the benefits of its filter vs other brands. I have not torn mine up as I only have 10.5k miles on the car and the filter lasts for 30k, but I will then!
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    I'm interested in investigating further into this upgrade. Does anyone have any actual manufacturer/brand names that have ECHO-specific applications? Or do these tend to be "universal" kits that are adapted by the installer to each car?

This would make the ECHO a better candidate for road trips. Without a little mechanical intervention, I find it too easy to go too fast in this car without noticing. There's no point in being a fuel miser if you blow the savings on speeding tickets.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Okay Slug, how fast did they stop you for THIS TIME?
  • mltomekmltomek Posts: 24
    this time i remembered to shut off my CAPS b4 i typed the whole thing...lol!!

my brother bought a 2000 echo w/ 23 k's---i have a 2002. before his 3yr/36k basic warranty is up i want to get any TSB's fixed.

Besides the minor squeaky hubcap TSB,wasn't there a TSB issued for certain states in regards to some type of ECHO component that could be affected in the colder climates causing engine to rev higher?? i believe only certain states where the echo is located qualified tho. we live in south dakota and the winters are horrid. does anyone know?? would my 2002 also be affected or would have toyota corrected the prob for the newer years?

any other TSB's issued that i can get fixed b4 his warranty runs out?????

thanks you guys---we both love the ECHO!!!
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Does the rear seats in the 2 door Echo fold down?
    Major: No tickets in the ECHO yet. <GRIN> I'm so used to piloting my usual daily driver -- a CR-V -- that when I do get behind the wheel of the ECHO, the 1,100-pound difference is noticeable. Starting from a stoplight, we can be up to speed (and then some) in not much time at all!

mltomek: A list of TSBs for the 2000 ECHO can be found at this URL:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/59/005980AF.html

I don't see any listings that suggest the problem you cite. There was a couple of recalls involving brakes and cold weather. Hit the NHTSA site and you can see 'em for yourself:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

mralan: I'm not 100% positive, but I think the folding seat is a factory option or part of some option package. I don't think it is necessarily tied to the number of doors on the car.
    My girlfriend (the actual owner of the ECHO in my life) made a comment the other day about the car not handling quite right, and asked if I could check the tires. Out came the tire gauge, and I discovered that each tire was between 7 and 13 psi below the recommended 32 psi.
    Granted, it had been about three months since they were last checked, but I was rather surprised that these tires (stock Bridgestone Potenzas) would have lost that much pressure since then. (If I recall correctly, a loss of 1-2 psi/month is considered "normal.") We'll need to resolve to keep a closer watch in the future -- particularly since it doesn't seem like the tread will last much more than a total of 30,000 miles or so.
    the folding rear seats are an option and will be on the sticker, at least for 2001.
  • When I purchased my 2002 Echo, it had Bridgestone Potenzas on it. I had the dealer put Goodyears on it before I took possession. The Potenzas on my 1999 Toyota Avalon bearly made it to 36,000 miles. Just my 2 cents.
    I've read some post that suggest the Echo's air condition is not adequate for it's large interior room.

Do you agree Echo owners?
  • echorickechorick Posts: 27
    I live in Southern California and recently drove to Santa Fe NM. My wife complained that the car was too cold and she was in the back seat.

I think the A/C is fine.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    Would someone please post a picture of an Echo next to somewhere/something/someone famous. Okay, it can be just the city limits sign. Also, who has driven their Echo the longest distance on one trip?
    In regards to distance, the longest I have driven my Echo in one trip is about 300 miles so I am sure someone has driven a lot longer distance.

I did reach a personal milestone of a sort on the trip and that was running my Echo in the triple digits during part of the trip.
    No problem with the ac on my ECHO make sure the switch is on recirculate if its not cool enough.
  • jmeyers1jmeyers1 Posts: 6
    I just had my 30,000 mile check up for my Echo... my last trip was to South Beach from Montgomery, AL... round trip about 1,600 miles and 400 miles going to a fro throughout central Florida... no problems... but, I would enjoy a cushier seat!
  • slimtexslimtex Posts: 4
    The air conditioner is a real problem to me. See post on problems. I was driving 65 to 70 on the interstate for two and a half hours and the cooling progressively got less and less. By the time I got home I probably could have done better with the window open. The dealer says that is no problem and he even checked the regional and national offices. At those speeds I wonder if the compressor cuts out like when you are passing a car. I sure would like to hear from others. By-the-way, we have only 4,000 miles on our 2001 two door which we got last November. .
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Some people have experienced freeze up of the compressor. Also, some others said if you wrap the AC pipe in electrical tape, it helps cool faster. There were some posts about it awhile back, but I don't remember all the details. Anyone else?
  • echorickechorick Posts: 27
    When I told a service rep the air was not cold enough at idle the dealer checked the compressor and then replaced it under warranty. It has worked very well since then.

As I said earlier, my ECHO was fine on my recent trip, doing 80-85 on the Interstate from Los Angeles to Santa Fe, NM and return. Did approx 2700 miles on that trip. I have not wrapped my lines for the A/C, but I did post info on it. See ECHO Owners Care and Maintenance post #5.
  • lynnann1lynnann1 Posts: 85
    "Some people have experienced freeze up of the compressor. Also, some others said if you wrap the AC pipe in electrical tape, it helps cool faster. There were some posts about it awhile back, but I don't remember all the details. Anyone else? "

I read that the freeze-up (icing?) only happened if you left it on recirculate too long. I use recirculate at first and then move the lever to fresh air. The AC in my car seems to work better when I'm moving as opposed sitting in traffic, and it does take it's time when I first turn it on. We've never had any problems on long trips. The furthest we've driven one way is about 400 miles.
  • rjgeerjgee Posts: 27
    Longest Trip: 7000 miles Ny -> Vegas -> Arizona -> Atlantic City -> Home. Last year... and I'm about to do it again next month :)

And the AC is a little weak, but adequate.
  • jmeyers1jmeyers1 Posts: 6
    I live in the HOT HUMID SWAMP land of the south... 9 months of the year its generally unbearable heat... 3 months of cold wet weather. The AC works great... just turn the control to the full setting for cold... another thing park your car in the shade.
    If you are in the "Sunbelt," then strongly consider getting your windows tinted. It's not just an appearance item . . . it's like an A/C upgrade. In addition, if you are planning to keep your ECHO for a long time, blocking UV radiation will extend the life of the interior materials.

Just a friendly tip from the Texas Gulf Coast, where "high 90s" can describe the Fahrenheit temp and the humidity on the same day.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I've done it on the Corolla, and I have to agree with kneisl1

micweb: which car did the air filter come from?
  • geegee1958geegee1958 Posts: 29
    are also great for keeping the sun from baking your dashboard and steering wheel. Don't do much for protecting the upholstery from the sun though. I have noticed people who put the sun shades on the back window ledge too- just lying flat (not up against the window), I guess to protect the fabric along the back window. Good idea I guess, especially if the fabric is black or another dark color.
    Anyone rack up some substantial (greater than 80k miles) mileage on their Echo?
  • ochmanskiochmanski Posts: 7
    does any one know what size the speakers are? this is for all three locations. the doors, dash and rear. i want to replace the stock ones. thanks for the help!
    Try http://www.crutchfield.com/

Even if you end up buying somewhere else, the "What Fits My Car" tool on their website is very helpful to get started.

As far as I can tell, the Toyota 3-in-1 headunit in the ECHO seems OK as far as putting out sufficient power. (Some stock radios are really weak!!!) So I think a speaker upgrade to enhance sound quality may really make a significant difference. Happy hunting!
  • cmeijningcmeijning Posts: 16
    My Yaris Verso 1.3 just had its 75 K kilometre service. The dealer gave me a Yaris diesel as a loaner that day. The 1.4 diesel is an impressive engine. The diesel is quiet, strong and very fuel efficient. I drove 420 kilometre and used 19.6 litres diesel.
    Anyone know of changes planned for the 03 Echo?
    If you want a cushier seat, eat more. ; )

I would hate to be the person who has 80k miles on their Echo. They would have to have one heck of a long commute.