Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,690
    The local newpaper evaluated a Honda Civic Hybrid recently and were very pleased that they got 40 mpg in local driving. This car had a sticker of almost $25K! Im thinking Toyota should be playing up the green angle here with the ECHO. I guess it would make the Prius look bad, though.
  • cbiecbie Posts: 5
    having had her for less than 4 months. Proud mom suffered separation anxiety all the time ECHO pokie was having her oil change and brakes cleaned. Around the same time I purchased a 35mm camera (no sense in buying a digital
    camera when I don't own a computer) and have been snapping away taking many priceless photos. I love my ECHO
    pokie. The only thing I would improve on is her turn signal volume which is rather quiet especially with the radio on. But that's a minor thing.

I think it's cute that ECHOs tend to appear in pairs or multiples and are often seen hanging around shopping centers. And them little ECHOs can really zip on the freeway! Now you see 'em, now you don't. 8)
  • dham2dham2 Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Echo with 26k miles. In Phoenix it was 111 today and the a/c worked just fine. Turn the fan speed up to almost high and recirculate the air. Also, window tint helps a lot, and I wrapped the freon line in the engine compartment. BTW: I'm averaging 45mi/g with the a/c on, combined highway and city.
  • rkrig1rkrig1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Echo which I purchased in March this year. I am experiencing squeaky brakes. I took it to the dealer and he said it was due to dust in the brakes. I have never had a vehicle that the brakes made any noise due to dust. Has anyone else had this problem ?
    Also, has anyone installed a Front End Mask? Will it damage the paint, and will it keep off the bug and stone damage??
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    I have experienced squeaky brakes from dust before (but not on an Echo). I simply wiped the rotors and drums clean with a rag with a little gasoline and the squeak went away.
    I'm curious about the Echo's resale value. They don't have too many Echo's in my area, so I rarely see a used Echo in the newspaper.

Perhaps someone from a bigger metropolis could give me some insight on the Echo's resale value.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Check out http://www.getauto.com. You can search all through the US on any car make and model. This should give you an idea. Also check on the TMV right here at Edmunds.com.
  • rkrig1: The dealer told us that as far as squeaky brakes (our car is 4 mos old) that he can't promise anything because it depends on the brake mfr. Dealer deglazed the brakes but there still is a squeak every now & then, especially when reversing. He assured us it was safe. I look at it as having a back-up warning system for free. :)

mralan: Here in Hawaii, island of Oahu, dealer (Servco Pacific) is selling a used 2001 auto, 4-dr for $9,995, 37K miles, finish with noticeable scratches (probably a former rental car). Here on Oahu the dealer buys back the Echos after one year from the rental car company and resells them. The car did have a 'Sold As Is' sign on the window, so I assume it is not a certified used car?
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I think I've finally figured out how to get my player back to normal. I tried using a lens cleaner but the results were very temporary. As the error message kept referring to a 'dirty disc' I figured there was something obscuring the lens. I used compressed air-the kind you use to clean computer keyboards with-and it seems to have done the trick!
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    Kneisl, I certainly agree with your comment about Echo mileage as compared with the hybrids. For lots more money and lots more complexity one can purchase a hybrid that probably gives just a little more mileage. But I think the hybrid owners are largely trying to support the whole push towards conservation, which doesnt get a lot of support in most places. For instance, even here at Edmunds, looking at cars other than the Echo, you don't see the editors give weight to relative fuel efficiency, whereas they sure point out power and dwell on gadgetry and such. By the way, my sister had an 84 Civic that gave fuel efficiency every bit as good as my Echo. But it was a 1300cc with lots less power than I have with my 00 Echo.
    ....Also, I am curious about the 03 Corolla. It is a taller car than previous Corollas, and I wonder if it supplies back seat roominess as good or better than the Echo?? Our family chose not to buy a Corolla back in 2000 because of lack of rear seat legroom.
    Love that 84 Civic, unfortunately todays Civic has become a bloated underpowered boat. I wish we coiuld get an ECHO that weighs 1600 pounds and has the 1.3 liter engine. 1.3 liter diesel is even better. I sat in a Prius recently and really like the interior design and its use of space. It even looks a little better than ECHO. But I wouldnt recommend anyone pay $25k for it when they can get a $13k ECHO!
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Posts: 202
    Hello all, I am looking at buying a echo in October. I want to know what to expect to pay out the door. I want a 4 door automatic with AC. That is all that I need. No extras. What should I pay out the door. I live in GA area if it helps. I'm thinking around 13,000 or 13,500 the most. Anyone?
    My 2001 2 door manual with ac and 3 in 1 stero was $13,100 out the door tax and all in November 2000, and they gave ne $200 0ff list. Id expect a four door with auto and air would be more, maybe $14,000. Also, it can be hard to find an ECHO without unwanted options. But look around and if youre willing to travel to purchase, youll probably get close to your figure, IMHO.
  • mdrewmdrew Posts: 32
    It's hard to compare "out-the-door" price from state to state since tax, license fees vary wildly, so you're better off comparing before tax if possible. Carsdirect.com used to be a good way to price the car with various options; they have a little calculator showing the MSRP and their price, but I haven't been on there in awhile; and their price may not be the best at this point. (I have no idea about current prices, but from what I recall kneisl is right about the difficulty of getting only this or that option; it seems heavily packaged. This worked out for me since I now like some of the things I thought I didn't want).
    I heard the 03 ECHO will only have minor cosmetic changes. A couple new colors, different grill, headlight, etc ...

No hatchback offering yet.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Do we know when the refreshened ECHO will appear on dealer lots? This month...August? September? I bet Toyota either did a little to refreshen it (since its sales aren't too hot) or Toyota did a lot to refreshen it (so that it could sell more). Any pictures yet?
    I got my info on the 03 from another forum (club) from someone has an ordering form for the 03 in Canada.

I'm waiting patiently. I can't wait to see a 2 dr in Impluse Red.
    Today at the gas station I was talking to the owner of a red four door ECHO. (this is the first other ECHO owner I have conversed with) His car is two years old and has 23k miles on it. Like most ECHO owners he loves the car ("I cant understand why you dont see more of them.") and mentioned that he gets 26-27 mpg around town (with automatic) I was thinking "Hmmm that sounds a little low...my five speed gets 41 driving to work 6 miles away." but I didnt want to say anything not having an answer as to why his mileage seemed low to me. Dont autos get like 35 mpg in town? Or not? I just wonder if there is an answer for him the next time we run into each other.
    I was reading Consumers Reports cars buyers guide and noticed the ECHO got the highest marks possible for reliability in all catagories except two where it got the next best mark. Its no secret CU likes the ECHO. Strangely, the Ford Focus was not check rated by CU because of reliability issues, yet it too did well, getting the highest score in about half of the catagories, second highest in the rest with the exception of an average in one of them. CU said the car performed better than all the other cars in its catagory (Corolla, Civic, SL1) in its performance tests.
  • mdrewmdrew Posts: 32
    The red Echo guy has a problem; I've never heard of mileage that low. My 4dr auto gets about 35 around town and 40 highway (averaged exactly 40 over a 1,700 mile trip last year); others report higher.
    I rented an Echo for one day, drove it about 100 miles, used the AC all of the time, and drove it pretty hard. I got 27mpg out of it. So he is probably either driving the car hard, or else he is in alot of traffic all the time.
    Edmunds review of the 01 ECHO sure is disappointing.

It sure "muddies the water" when trying to make a decision on to purchase an Echo or not.

The great majority of ECHO owners on this forum absolutely love their car, but I hold Edmunds' opinion in high regard also.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    I thought automatic ECHOs were rated 31/38 by the EPA. Anyway, you never know, maybe the owner of the red four-door has a dirty air filter or has a dozen forgotten bags of concrete mix in the trunk?
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I have a 5spd 4-door and have gotten as low as 27mpg in very heavy city traffic with the a/c on. The highest I've gotten so far is 38mpg on the hwy. Then again, I can never keep the speed below 80mph in the desert passes!
    If you read the Edmunds review of the ECHO their main problem with it is that the ECHO is just not hip enough to be your car. It doesnt make the kind of "statement" about YOU that others should get from the car you drive. Which is a pretty shallow reason to buy a car, but maybe they have something there. Also, they didnt like the price of the car when you add things like power mirrors and power windows, which I agree jacks the price up a lot. And they mention the fact that a Honda Civic probably has a better resale value than the ECHO which could be true. So when you make your mind up remember: the ECHO is a reliable, confortable, peppy little car that few people who own them have anything bad to say about. Personally, I feel good about my choice of the ECHO on several levels. I like the way the car drives. I like the fact thats its likely to be one of the most reliable cars on the road. I like it because its economical to own. Because it burns so little gas I feel like Im doing something to help the planet, as well as keeping OPEC in line. But I might be losing out on not impressing people enough.
    Well, I'm probably not going to purchase a new car into about Mar 03. The "looks" of a car is very low in my priorities (although I like the looks of the ECHO). If the ECHO gets too pricey when I get my desired options, I'll switch to a new Corolla. I owned a Corolla until recently for 15 years. I don't care what the consensus is, no way am I'm going to buy a Hyundai or a Focus.
  • deluxcardeluxcar Posts: 47
    In post #3173, we were considering an ECHO. But after shopping around we finally purchased a Honda Civic LX for $14,200.
    In my opinion the Civic LX is about two to three grade levels above the Echo. We were looking for a 4-door sedan with automatic transmission and air conditioning and a good sound system.

The MSRP on the Echo was $14,711, Invoice $13,664 and the dealer offered $13,444 including a $400 college graduate rebate (In effect $13,844).

The Civic's MRSP was $16,700, Invoice $15,003 and the dealer offered $14,200. The Civic however, has power doors and windows, power mirrors, steering, and power brakes, etc. and the trim level is closer to a Camry or Accord.

In terms of handling, road noise and seating comfort the Civic was superior. Also, the AC in the Civic was much more powerful than ECHO and thus would make a big difference on the hot Atlanta roads.

In the end we thought the ECHO was an overpriced lightweight. No hard feelings guys but the ECHO is not in the same league as the Civic.
    Funny that you say about the Echo's AC system, I rented one for a hot day, and it was pretty cool inside. And I am always hot!

On the other hand, I test drove a Civic before I got my last car (a 2001 Protege). It was about 100 that day, and this car was a black 2-door. After driving the car for about 10 mins., I was literally sick to my stomach. So the Civic's AC pretty much sucked.

Also, I would probably go with the Civic for $14,200 vs. an Echo for $13,500 as well. Both are pretty nice cars, and should be reliable though.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    During the break in period I got 36.5 mpg on a 400 mile, 80 mph drive. Since then I have gotten 34.5 in mixed highway/stop and go/city driving. I have an auto. I drive moderately - I get much better than rated mileage in my Golf and slightly better than rated in the Mustang. I am very pleased with the highway mileage because the Golf drops from 30 to 26 if you drive over 80 mph, whereas the Echo gets 36.5 (and is an automatic, to boot). Based on the posts, I had expected better "city" mileage, but am happy with what I am getting - especially since a former ZX3 auto got only 25 mpg.

BTW, you can't rely on "one tank" mileage - I refill at the same pump each time, same gas station, same slope, same rate of fill and nozzle insertion- then average over several tanks. It's the only way to get around fill variations.
  • thooverthoover Posts: 49
    It is possible to get *real* 45MPG averages on an ECHO. We have just under 44K on our 2000 automatic (NW PA). This summer is the best yet, with my 5 tank average hitting 45.3 MPG. The average over the last 60 tanks (about 1 year) is standing at 41.5 MPG. Our driving is mixed, a lot of 2 lane rural highway, but this car is used for everything.

I admit that I have an obsession about driving for maximum MPG. I go out of my way to avoid hills, quick stops, etc. The ECHO is fun...