Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,689
    One thing I forgot to mention. If the check engine light comes on the first thing to do is 1) check the gasket of the gas cap. If its bad, replace it. 2) make sure the gas cap is on tightly because if its not, the check engine light will come on and there may be other problems.
    Its something you can do yourself.
  • Riding down I10 and the darn window start to crack. No rock hit it, just a small crack at the very top on passenger side. Next morning went to my dealership they were unable to say it was an impact crack. So tomorrow they will replace windshield. Just never heard of this on any car. What cause it I have no idea but one old timer at the service desk said it use to occur on some Toyota.
    Perhaps it was installed improperly. Ive had replacement windows break like that and when I brought it back they said it wasnt put in right.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    It was a stress crack. Could have been the glass that was not heat tempered properly when made.
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I passed the 40k mark a couple of weeks ago! I have a 4-dr./5-spd/'01. I've been running it on Mobil 1 5-30 and Yokohama YK420's getting avg. of 35mpg. The Yokohama's are very quiet on most surfaces (they have aggressive tread pattern) but are kinda noisey on concrete. The tread looks like it'll hold up to 50-60k.
    My engine idles with a bit more noise than when new and I had a creaking sound from the back-the latch on the seatbacks needed oiling. Other than that, it's holding up fairly well.
    If anyone is planning on extended highway driving, I highly recommend using a bra as the design of the front end takes a beating-the nose is fairly blunt and seems to get more stone damage than other cars I've owned. I went through some bad windstorms in the desert and have to have my hood and front bumper repainted. :p
    I plan on upgrading my shocks for something firmer at 50k. Any suggestions out there?
    I jusr read the average price for a new car is $25,000. My ECHO cost 1/2 that. Gotta love it!
      Unfortunately I have no idea where to get different things like shocks for the ECHO. They (the shocks) are pretty small though.
  • My Echo has 34,000 miles under its belt and has been absolutely spiffy. I change the oil every 3000 miles at the zippy lube. I get a chassi lube for my 1990 riviera, but they say the Echo does not need one. I paid $90 for two seat covers from Toyota which seemed expensive at the time, but now I'm glad I did it. Why doesn't the Echo need a chassi lube? I also got the darkest window tinting allowed by law ($150 at a specialty shop) and it looks great with the white paint. I paid $12,300 for the two door, auto, air and rear window defogger package.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    Modern cars don't need any chassis lubing.
    It's been that way for quite some time. I'm surprised to hear that your 1990 Riviera does need it.
    Hey it could be worse. They might have charged you $$$ for a lube you did not need. At least they were honest! Usually things like ball joints, tie rod ends, and driveshafts get hit with the grease gun, but ECHO doesnt have that kind of drive shaft and all of the other places are sealed for life. Whatever that means. Good luck with your ECHO...sounds like a typical story.
    I took the advice of a prior posting and checked out that white box behind the glove-box. There is a tray for an air filter to go into that is right above the fan housing. I think I will splurge and buy the filter as my finger picked up a lot of Los Angeles residue on the edges!~
    I guess they have a pollen filter as available or standard equipment on the Yaris? I would think that Toyota would mention at least the availability of pollen filter on the a/c. In a polluted area like LA, it comes in very handy.
    I went to my dealer today and the parts dept. said that while they do have the filter casing (the white tray)in their diagram, there is no part no. for an actual filter!
    I forgot what number post mentioned the price, etc. but I wonder if this was a Canadian model?
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    I am now at 68K miles and got my first problem, but it is a small one. Opening the drivers door does not cause interior lights to go on. Also noticed that if I leave headlights on and turn off the car and get out there is no longer the warning beep. So my dealer checked it out and said the switch had gone bad in there. I'll need a new one, and now I am out of warranty. But it is a rather inexpensive item. Also just washed the car yesterday, and looked it over carefully. There are some little scratchy marks and a few little indentations also. Noticeable stuff but nothing to the point where rust would have an opportunity to start. I am also pleased at how the body cladding has worked out, down along the lower portions of the car. When I first bought the car I didn't want the body cladding, but my choice of options gave me no choice. I was afraid the cladding would detach or hold water pockets and make rust, or some other problem that I could do without. But happily it seems to be doing its job well. I hope it stays that way.
  • Dealer kept Echo 5 hours but fixed the check light problem again (first time was cleaning engine). This time it was "wrong spark plugs installed at factory." No charge since in warranty.
    Im wondering how long the engine ran with the wrong plugs before the check engine light came on? Did they show you the "wrong plugs'? Did they say what the error code was?
  • My mechanically naive son is driving the Echo at school in Florida so I was not there to ask our dealer (located in Georgia) questions. I am sure they did not show him the old plugs (he would not have thought to ask to see them and would not know what to look for) and they did not give him any paperwork about what was done. And I never did hear from the customer rep at the dealer. Time for another phone call for answers. Just hoping new plugs did solve the problem.
    I finally went back to find the posting mentioning the cost of the cabin air filter element. sfecho, did your parts dept. have it listed on the ECHO parts list, of is it in the Prius list? My dealer could not find it for ECHO but the tray that holds the filter is listed!
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    I don't know if this info is of any use for you but in Germany the air filter is listed under part number 08974-00820 (toyota yaris) and the current price is € 35.- (35 euros = aprox. US$ 37.93, today's exchange rate).
    I am getting one sent by a friend of mine in Germany and will let you guys (and gals) know how it fits and works. It's an expensive part which should last for 1 year. If anybody comes up with a supplier for less $$$ I sure would like to know.
  • sfechosfecho Posts: 26
    kaz6- The part number for the filter my dealer gave me is 87139-47010 and a price of $31.14. I didn't order one, so let me know your success for future reference.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    The filter is available in Canada at Toyota Dealerships for CAD $ 33 plus taxes! Price in US$ is aprox. $ 25.
    Thanks for the help, guys! I'll keep you posted as soon as I can get one!
  • sfechosfecho Posts: 26
    kaz6- New part number for the filter is 88568-52010, same price- $31.14. Description is "FILTER, AIR A/C"
    I went to my dealer today to buy the filter. The part is actually listed under Prius A/C Filter. I took out the tray to see if it would fit and it did. I paid $33+tax and while that may seem pricey, it works out to less than a cup of coffee a day. The air in LA is full of particulate pollution so it seems worth it to me. Thanks again, sfecho!
  • Just read that Toyota is introducing the Echo hatchback at the Toronto Auto Show today. It is based off of the Yaris sold in Europe and will be here in the summer in both three and five door models. From what I read it will not be coming to the U.S., I would suspect that is because of Scion, which we do not get up here.
  • I saw a silver 4 door ECHO today and it looked like it had been lowered. Its rear end sagged much lower than normal.
  • Will the new ECHOs be the same as the Yaris or are they styled differently? Any photos if it's something other than the Yaris design?
  • Thanks! www.toyota.ca also has a lot of pictures and info on it. I wish the US was getting it. :-(
    I saw another ECHO like mine the other day. The only difference was he had 14" rims (I have 15") and an ELECTRIC SUNROOF! The sunroof looked great and wish I could afford one. Last I checked, an installation like that would be around $1000!!!
    The Yaris/Echo hatch is the one I fell in love with on a trip to Spain a few years ago. Love the way it looks to this day!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I paid about $900 for a sunroof, installed with a lifetime warranty, when I had my 99 Protege. It was worth every penny too! :)
  • Here's an interesting article mentioning Echo which appeared in the Sunday, Feb 16, edition of the Honolulu Advertiser. I found the Echo part funny :). I know you'll enjoy it:
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Feb/16/il/il01a.ht- ml