Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,689
    I recently changed the plugs in three of my four cars...the ECHO, a 93 Saturn, and a 93 Altima. They all took the same plug! What aere the odds of that?
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I've noticed a definite increase in ECHO's on the road in Los Angeles. Must be the high gas prices! I do miss mine-it was traded in April. I am happy with my current car but miss the mpg of the ECHO!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Is there a large difference in the mpg between what you have now and the Echo (I know what you have now, but it might be off topic to list it). Just wondering.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Other than the mileage, what else is better in your new Elantra?
    I can tell you from the experience of driving both the Elantra and Echo that the Elantra feels heavier and more surefooted on the highway, especially when you are next to an 18-wheeler and/or at higher speeds. That's to be expected though, because the Elantra is a larger, heavier car.

The Echo has pure simplicity on its side though, not much stuff to break inside. Also, the car's fuel economy is outstanding, and the projected reliability is higher. I don't know about crash data, as I haven't seen any on the Echo. I know the Elantra didn't do so hot though in the NHTSA tests....
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/NCAP/BASC2003/chartp2.html

Reliability? In my case the car is absolutely bulletproof. No repairs whatsoever at 73k miles, only maintenance items. In my case: ATF drain and fill yearly, coolant drain and fill @ 40k, oil changes and tire rotations every 10k.
    Sparkplugs replaced @ 30k, they were the regular copper type. Installed platinum spark plugs that should last 60k miles. Brakes are still @ 50%, Michelin tires 70% usable tread left, outstanding!
  • Hi there...As mentioned above, we recently bought a used 2000 Echo with 75000 KM's on it. My wife drives this car daily and has noticed that she still needs to fill up at least once a week...I find that fairly odd. We have set the trip odometer to see how many KM's we get on a tank.

Question....At how many KM's should I consider changing the Sparkplugs? Would this improve the fuel economy? Is this something I should get a mechanic to do or could it be done myself?
    When I drive the ECHO the car gets 36-42 mpg. When my wife drives it, the mileage is more like 29. So if you have a heavy foot, the mileage can really suffer. Im thinking you could do the sparkplug change yourself with no problem. The plugs should have been changed at 50,000 kilometers.
  • Hello,
        I am a US service member living near a base in Germany. I'm interested in buying an US spec Echo used for the reasons of reliability and and fuel economy. The choices (or choice at this time) is very limited. I'm seriously considering buying used stateside, like from an Ebay auction, and then shipping to Europe. The only problem is that the warranties don't apply in Europe, so I would be driving "naked" so to say. Does anyone know of a European company which I could buy a warranty from? What do people think of my plan? Thanks.

Dean.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi Dean - welcome to the Town Hall!

You might want to cross-post your message on our Finance, Warranty & Insurance board while you are waiting for some suggestions here.

That's an interesting question - let us know how it goes for you.
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    The biggest difference between the two is the feel of the car. Elantra is much more heavy in feel and much quieter. They both are quiet in terms of lack of wind noise. Highway mileage has been very close between the two in the driving I do. Elantra: 33mpg ECHO: 35mpg The city mileage is much worse in Elantra: 22mpg ECHO: 30mpg! Both have very comfortable interiors for long trips. Elantra GT has 8-way adjustable driver's seat with lumbar support. The biggest reason I chose the Elantra GT is the hatchback and huge cargo area. I miss my ECHO's driving position and mpg.
    Still love the ECHO and its looks! My ECHO was same price as Elantra GT hatch after rebate!
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    If it were me, I'd buy a used Toyota Yaris (it is what the Echo is called in Europe) in Germany rather than go through the hassle of trying to import an American car.

How long is your tour of duty there? You will have the problem of either selling locally or shipping back any car you bring over.
  • Hi Odman,
           The problem with buying a German spec car is that I will have to go through the hassle of selling the car when my 3 year tour is up. I would rather buy an American spec car, and the government will pay the shipping for one car back to the states. Anything over one car, you'll have to foot the bill.
         American spec cars specially the Toyota Echo are few and far between here. I've got my heart set on buying one, and I only had the choice of one American spec Echo here, which I didn't like. So I've gotten an EXCELLENT deal on a 2000 Echo in the states, and I will pay the shipping for it (about $1500). The end cost is going to be LESS than the best deal I was looking at here for a good used car with a reasonable warranty.
          I think it's better to buy the car one wants and pay a little bit extra, if that is necessary, than to settle for a car that one will "settle" for. I'm actually very excited about this purchase.

Dean.
  • Hi,
         I'm looking at a 2000 Echo with everything I want, but without a rear window defroster. Everyone please tell me if the absence of this should be concerning to me. Thanks.

Dean.
    It can be really inconvenient not to have a rear defogger, especially in colder climates. Also, I know for a fact at least one state here (NY) requires a rear defogger in every vehicle.
    I just ordered a trailer hitch for my ECHO so I can take my 14 foot aluminum boat about a mile down to the lake. Has anyone else pulled a trailer with their ECHO? How did you do the lights? The hitch bolts on easily enough by removing the four bolts that hold towing eyes and simply bolting he hitch on.
  • Does anyone know what the red button next to the dimmer switch on some 2000 Echos is for?
    Factory alarm. Both of my friends' 2000 Echo sedans have the red light there and an alarm on both of the cars. If you look at it, it blinks when the car's off and the alarm is set.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I thought the alarm is a dealer-installed option, and they can put the blinking LED anywhere you want?
    I can't remember if it's factory or not, but they always seem to put the light there in every Echo with an alarm I have been in. It's a little sensitive though, set off easily by high winds when we have rainstorms in both friends' cars.
  • romigromig Posts: 11
    Car reviews are political like everything else is. Car reviews are opinions Look at Edmunds review then look at consumer products review on the ECHO both are completely different review opinions.I hope they quit making the ECHO then you will see the value rise as it is the car of the century
    If they do stop making the ECHO at least the SCION B looks exacly like the echo hatch sold everyplace else but here.
  • My husband and I were shopping at Ala Moana Center in Honolulu yesterday. When we returned to our car, there was a man in a silver Lexus waiting in the lane just beyond our Echo. He got out of his car and approached us, handing his business card to us. Turns out he was with a production company which makes commercials for AIG-HI. He said they were looking for a white Echo in good condition to represent the "finished" car. He showed us a digital picture of the damaged Echo. At first we thought he was a con but upon checking out references, he was the real thing. He said the shoot was scheduled for the next day. Anyway, to make a long story short, those of you who live in Hawaii look for our white Echo in the next AIG-HI commercial. They said her part will only be about a second but it's exciting nevertheless. They're sending us a tape/cd of the finished commercial. For those of you who do not live in Hawaii, I can tell you that the AIG-HI commercials always are fun to watch. For those of you lucky to live here, be sure to watch out for the commercial. :)
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, what's AIG-HI? Are they an insurance underwriter?
    was the automotive co-star in the movie "One Hour Photo"
  • AIG-HI stands for American Insurance Group - Hawaii. They're comparable to insurance groups such as State Farm, Allstate, GEICO, etc. I did see 'One-Hour Photo' and enjoyed the Echo scenes. I found myself smiling, sometimes even giggling, at the Echo. I hope nobody thought I was crazy!
    This company is probably doing more now to promote ECHO than Toyota has done in the four years of its existance.
    I knew of AIG. The HI threw me off :)

Unfortunately, in One Hour Photo, they used the Echo for some negative symbolization - it was supposed to symbolize Robin William's character's plain, dreary, boring existence.

Please note that I personally don't think the Echo is anything like that!! (Don't hit me!)
    Tomorrow is my ECHOs third birthday. Today we celebrated by going to Sears and having the tires rotated and balanced. The mechanic gave the car a visual inspection while up on the life and everything was hunky dory. 19.5k miles of troublefree motoring! But now theres no safety net.