Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• echo01echo01 Posts: 19
    Yes, I do agree that an engine temperature gauge would be good to have. I plan on keeping my car a long time, and at some point, the cooling system isn't going to work as well as it should; having a temperature gauge would tell me when to go easy on a steep grade in the summer (and then go in and get a new radiator, or whatever).

This didn't stop me from getting an Echo though, because it should not be an issue for at least 5, and maybe 10 years. (I had to replace the radiator on my last car, a Toyota, when it was 13 years old.) At some point, I'll probably buy and install some aftermarket temperature gauge; can't imagine it would be very expensive.

Is the Echo fun to drive?? Oh yes! It probably depends on what you're looking for, but I'm constantly amazed at how fast the car accelerates without my really trying hard. It has a lot of power for its weight. I don't have any complaints at all about the handling either.

(I admit to being somewhat surprised about this, because I just bought my Echo to get an inexpensive and reliable car. But, driving it has been enjoyable enough that the car has kind of grown on me. I've even been known to just take it for a drive for no reason other than it's a fun experience. :-) )

[Kneisl1's recent posting about avoiding an accident also speaks well of the car's handling qualities; as well as his good skill in driving.]

The best thing to do is take one for a good test drive and see how you like it. Don't take anybody else's word for it.
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Has anyone traded down in size to the Echo? Was it a big adjustment?

I presently own a 01 Ford Taurus, but I only plan to keep it for another year. Right now the front runner for me is the Echo.

I like to hear what was the last car Echo owners had before they purchased the Echo.
  • Just wanted to let the people here know that the '02 Echos come with folding outside mirrors. We went to our local Toyota dealer this past weekend and the mirrors do fold in.
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    Yes, I traded down to an Echo from a Camry. I rather wanted a smaller car because of the short trips I make to town - it seems inappropriate to drive something big for small chores. My wife and daughter wanted a Rav4. They wouldnt consider a Corolla because it had not enough room in the back seat. I had a $17,800 new Camry offered from the dealership on Oahu. Since the Echo did have enough room in the back seat I made a deal with my daughter and wife. We took
    half the savings from not buying the Camry and they got to split it and spend it on whatever they wanted to do with it. And we bought the Echo. We are all happy with it. That was 2 years ago.
    (Of course we dont have freeway driving over here.)
  • Is it just me or are there a lot of ECHOs on Oahu? I was in Honolulu this past summer and saw about 4 at one intersection!
  • There seems to be more lately. I suppose alot of these are probably tourist rentals.
  • When I bought my car, the window sticker said it had this option package (including "heavy-duty battery and rear defogger, and rear-seat heater ducts"), but I've never been able to find any heater ducts in the back seat area. I'm beginning to think that the moron dealer charged me $275 for something I didn't get.

Can somebody tell me where these rear-seat heater ducts are on a 2001 Echo? THanks
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    Although Ive tried desparately to talk my wife into an ECHO, she refuses because our college age children need "help" moving things around. So while she likes the ECHO, she wants a station wagon. Has anyone seen the Matrix and what can you say about it? How big is the carrying capacity? Is it really an ?ECHO ststion wagon?
    I live on the big island. Actually, when I go to Oahu periodically I am surprised at how few Echos I encounter. They are more prevalent over here. I saw a new red one today, parked just down the road from my home. Those of you from the mainland will see more in the islands just because the Japanese cars are so prevalent here. If you see a Ford Focus or a Chevy Cavalier
    or a Ford Taurus or Dodge Stratus, those are the rental cars for sure.
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Is there a national company that rents
    Echos?
  • The "rear seat heater ducts" are no farther than underneath the front seats, pointing to the rear. Yep that's right, you have to pay extra for something even my 1972 Duster came with standard!!
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    Top 10 Least Expensive Vehicles for 2002

Has anyone here actually owned (or even seen) an ECHO with a sub-$10K MSRP?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    We are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts.

Please respond by March 9 to lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks!
    kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I rented an Echo from Alamo rentAcar in Honolulu
  • I was just wondering if any of you purchased the extended service contract? Would it be throwing money away because the Echo seems to be a reliable car and wouldn't need one?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    It's usually 5-years. Honda is starting to go five year cycle also. But there are exceptions

Celica: 1994-1999 -- 6 years
    Tacoma: introduced 1995 -- 7 years and still counting
    4Runner: introduced1 996 -- 6 years and counting
    Landcruiser: 1991-1997 -- 7 years
    LS400: 1995-2000 -- 6 years
    SC300/400: 1992-2000 -- 9 years
  • ml91ml91 Posts: 26
    In my opinion, an extended service contract is a waste of money for two reasons: (1) You are spending money on car repairs whether your car breaks down or not. (2) Most (possibly all) service contracts include a list of things that are not included in the coverage.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Your second point may apply to "aftermarket" warranties, but not the Toyota Platinum warranty. There is VERY little excluded from that. Hoses, belts, fuses, bulbs, brake pads and floor mats are about it. All else is covered.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    You either love it or you hate it. Look at the sister, the Pontiac Vibe too. Echo would be neat with a hatch, like overseas. The trunk lid opening is rather small.
  • ml91ml91 Posts: 26
    I am not familiar with the Toyota "Platinum" extended warranty that you mentioned. I would recommend that anyone who purchases an extended warranty first read the entire document VERY carefully. Several years ago an acquaintance of mine purchased an extended warranty on a new Chevrolet, only to discover later that the warranty had many exceptions which made it, in my opinion, little more than a rip-off. I suggest using extreme caution when considering any extended warranty.