Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    At 32 psi mileage is now back to 38 with just the first tank.
  • rjgeerjgee Posts: 27
    Haven't posted in a while, so here are a few goodies to munch on:

To those experiencing the 'squeaking' sound, usually more prevalent in the cold and wet weather, change (or tighten) your drive belt. I just did mine; no more squeaks :)
    You only need to loosen two bolts on the alternator to remove the belt; the job takes about 15 minutes.

Kaz, you can run wires through through the firewall without drilling holes. Follow the wiring harness through the existing hole in the firewall. The plastic 'gasket' can be pushed and pulled until it comes out of the car's frame. Run your wires through the hole in the gasket, then push it back in place. There is plenty of room to add your own wiring. (I've done this on my Echo when running heavy duty wires to power an inverter.)

And a note on the Echo shop manual available from Toyota. This the 1st time I've purchased an actual dealer manual. I'm a bit disapponted. Not that there is anything wrong with the manual, but for $120, I expected more. There doesn't seem to be much more detail than a Chiltons manual. Maybe a little more detail on troubleshooting sensors, but not much more on the actual 'work' diagrams.
    I think the ECHO is a very simple car apart from the fuel injection, perhaps thats why the manual seems a little short on repair proceedures. Theres no wiring diagram either, a serious ommission for $120. AND the manual states that the block drain forthe coolant is on the FRONT of the block, where as I found it on the drivers side of the block. DEFINATELY dont expect that from a factory manual...usually Chiltons is good for at least serveral mistakes. I like reading the manual however, very comforting somehow.
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    Thanks for the info! I already bought another remote unit so I will go ahead and use it. I already found and drilled holes for the remote cradle. There's a panel next to the dimmer knob for the instr. panel that comes out. Perfect location as it is near the light stalk.
    As far as the 'squeak' noise...don't know if it is the belt but will try it. I say I don't know because it only makes the sound when the car is in gear and moving. It doesn't make it when idle and the throttle is pressed. If it were the belt it would make the sound anytime the throttle is pressed. I still feel it's the pcv valve leaking or something like that. My prior car made a similar sound and it was found to be coming from the pcv valve which was cracked. At any rate I'll wait for the 30k check to have it investigated further.
    Looked over a Matrix at the local Toyota dealer.Was umimpressed. It seems like they put too much effort into styling the car and not enough in that Toyota quality. It WAS roomy inside but seemed cheesier than the ECHO. Actually it has rather large tires and is kind of a largish vehicle. I thought the plastic covered cargo area and storage bins are chintzy looking compared to the usual Toyota feeling. I much prefer the ECHO...definately better build quality.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    That plastic on the seat backs is much more durable than cloth when that area is used for larger cargo items.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    My mother works with this woman who recently just bought a brand new ECHO. Just these past few days ago she had a wreck in it on the interstate. A large semi pulled in front of her and she had to swerve to not get hit. Supposedly her little ECHO hit the guard rail and flipped over it somehow. Here's the great part...she only broke her arm when she could have easily broken her life!
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    When I bought my Echo two years ago I was hearing how puny the tires looked, in the automotive evaluations. So I kept in mind that I might move to a size larger when it came time to replace them. To not affect the circumference more than necessary I moved to 185/60 from the stock 175/65. My original tires were Bridgestne Potenzas, and I had been unhappy with how they behaved on very wet pavement. However I didnt find any Michelin replacements in the size I wanted and therefore got a new set of Bridgestone Potenza RE 930I with Uni-T, whatever that is. Size is P185/60R14. I want to report here that these replacements are great. We have had a ton of rain here lately (5 inches yesterday) and I am very glad to have these tires. My sense is that the big difference is not primarily the size, but that these Bridgestone models have much superior wet weather capability. They cost me about $75 each, including mounting, which seemed high, but well worth it. I hope this suggestion proves helpful to others.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    More info can be found here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/uni_t.html

The bottom line seems to be that this is Bridgestone's indicator for its premium tires. I recently replaced the tires on my CR-V with Bridgestone Dueler H/Ls with Uni-T and noticed a big improvement over the Dueler H/Ts that came stock with the vehicle. Thanks wrgraham, I'll keep those Potenzas in mind as replacements for the S.O.'s ECHO.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I rented an Echo today from Budget car rental in Baltimore, Maryland. It's black automatic sedan with Package 1, AC, and the CD/cassette combo. So they do rent them here.

My impressions: I drove it today in the rain all day (about 60 miles), and it's not a bad little car. Pretty good pickup, but not what I am used to (I have a 180hp Jetta turbo though!). The brakes are good too, and I only slid once without ABS in hard braking. It's a little noisy though, but most lower-priced cars are.

I didn't have enough room to get comfortable in the driver's seat though, but I like to stretch my legs way out when I am driving too.

The car truly did surprise me though. I didn't think they drove as nice and sporty as this one did.
  • gave the Echo a good rating(s). It made the top of the list in the 'small car' category. Not surprising for all us satisfied Echo owners.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I remember one thing I did not like about this rental Echo. The outside mirrors were too small, I thought. It was a little hard for me to look in the mirror to merge without bending down (I am 6'3). Also, the seats were a little uncomfortable as well, because my back was hurting after driving for only like 20 minutes. Other than that, it was a really nice, powerful, good handling car for the price.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    "Toyota has been angling for more of the youth market since its model-year 2001 introduction of the Echo, mid-engine MR2 and Celica. But despite an aggressive advertising campaign run under Toyota's Genesis group, the trio hasn't lit a fire."
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    I followed slugline's picture and directions from Feb 14th, and it was a complete cinch to change the air filter. Not even a 5 minute job. Unscrew the clamp around the big hose and pull it off. Unsnap the two spring clamps on the front end of the airbox. Opens right up and just switch the clean filter for the old. The old one was looking dirty, so 45000 miles was more than enough.
    I suppose the fuel filter is the next item that could use replacement.
    I finally narrowed down the source of the noise coiming from the engine bay...it's around the area where the throttle cable is connected. The 'whistle'(sounds like a high pitched metallic sound) seems to be louder when it's colder and is only made when the throttle is at partly applied.
    I've only heard one other Echo that has made a similar sound but didn't have time to stop the driver to ask.
    Other news: the remote switch for my driving lights works fine and the added light is great for night desert driving!
  • luckykluckyk Posts: 11
    Haven't logged on in quite some time. However, I'm in the market for a high mpg, reliable, CR recommended car that is towable behind an RV without huge $$ modifications to the tranny or brakes. Using the dinghy towing guide from Motor Home magazine and the latest CR Auto Issue, one car fits the bill. Yep, the Echo. I really never imagined myself in one of these. But you all seem to have nothing but praise.

The search feature on this site is great, but I can find nothing wrt RV dinghy towing and recommended cars. Does anyone have any experience towing an Echo behind a motorhome?
  • hey yall! i just got my bodykit! ill give yall some pictures as soon as i get it on!
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    My son answered: "Well dad, on eight dollars of gas it just keeps on rolling forever."
  • gaiffemgaiffem Posts: 11
    I believe there was a discussion of this issue a while ago, but can't find the thread. Perhaps one of you with a better memory may recall..?

ISSUE: After driving about 4 hours with the a/c on in mid-80s(F) and high humidity, a/c looses efficiency and cooling ability. Fan also becomes quite loud. Problem initially occurred in summer of 2000 on a long trip. After insulating low pressure line, problem did not repeat until this week (also first long trip since summer 2000). Both times, after turning off the a/c for a half-hour or so, it worked fine thereafter for the couple of hours remaining of the driving day.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, since more trips are planned this summer. Thanks.
    Are you running it while in recirculate or fresh air mode? If it's on recirculate too long the condenser will freeze up. I don't know if humidity would affect it but with outside temp. in the '80's and the unit on fresh I don't know how it could freeze up.