Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• reba05reba05 Posts: 36
    All of those items are fine. I just assumed it was due to the car being so light in weight. I have only had the car for 3,000 miles so maybe I am still just getting used to the way it feels compared to my previous vehicle.
    Thanks for the tips!
  • ldlopezldlopez Posts: 13
    check tire pressure by all means, but perhaps a front end alignment ?

If I remember right toe in can make the front end unstable.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,689
    I did a search on MSN for used car prices and got a survey of used ECHOs selling at car dealers. They were asking $12,800 for a 2004 with 37k miles on it! Even 2000 ECHOs were going for $8000 with 63k miles on them. What are used ECHOs going for in your neck of the woods?
  • dogendogen Posts: 1
    Just bought 2001 sedan with 14 inch goodyear tires, reportedly with 35k on them but not excessive wear. I have noticed unsteady handling at 70+MPH and wonder if when I need to replace tires going to larger size would help? Also think the car may need an alignment as front right wheel looks like its been scraped and there is very slight drift to the right.
    I advise against putting larger tires on your ECHO. It will drive like a truck with them.
  • shessshess Posts: 1
    I had the same problem and the dealer told me that it was the gas I was using.
    I switched to super and still I am still have the same problem. If you find out the fix let me know.
    I went on a 150 mile trip to Atlantic City to look at a boat. When I filled the tank it came out to 52 mpg! 4.8 gallons took me 250 miles!
    I bought a 2003 with 34,000 miles for $9,200 - however that was thru a car auction. Same exact vehicle at a dealer would be around $10,500. Twin Cities
  • canechocanecho Posts: 1
    Hi. I just ordered an Echo and I'm so glad I went with this car. I did a lot of research and looked at several different cars. Finding a car that fits well is hard because I'm 6' 7". I found that the Echo gave me enough room, a quality car, and an amazing price. After reading all of your comments I'm completely excited about my purchase (it says something when the discussion isn't about problems but improving an already great fuel economy.

This is my first new car. It's replacing my used 1991 Accord (283 000 kms, don't know what that is in miles). I found that for me the ride in the echo was just as comfortable and the echo was even a bit more peppy than my old car.

I was reading old messages about car size and saftey. This was something I was looking into. The echo has a great saftey rating compared to many larger cars. What matters more than size is how the car is built. A larger object will move a smaller one but if the smaller one crumples in the right spots it will protect the occupant. My girlfriend was just in a car accident. She was driving a 2003 Civic and was hit from behind by a Quad-cab pick up when she had to stop for deer. Anyways she lost the car but walked away without a single broken bone. The guy at the junk yard told her the car did everything it was suppose to. So the attitude that bigger cars are safer is bull.

I'm looking forward to many years in a great car.
  • pesterkidpesterkid Posts: 17
    CONGRATS on ur new car! You'll love it!
    Wow thats amazing the car fits you so well! It IS the best small car on the market today in many respects. Stay away from the quad cabs though.
  • echorickechorick Posts: 27
    I am thinking of buying Goodyear Integrity 175/65/14 at WalMart. Does anyone have any experience with this tire on an ECHO? :confuse:
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    Engine light came on and then off. Problem was the cover to the air filter was not put back properly.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I have experience with Goodyear Integrity on a Corolla. I hated them because of the terrible traction in wet weather, and I think you will find many people that agree with me. I would go with a Michelin Weatherwise, Harmony, or Hydroedge.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Another nice tire (quiet, good handling and wet traction) at a really good price is the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716. Available at Sears, Discount Tire et. al.
  • echorickechorick Posts: 27
    Thanks for the info. I finally decided on Pirelli P3000 tires. Hope I didn't make a mistake!
    I am having worse gas mileage now that summer is here, around 30-32 city driving and prior to that, it was consistent at 35 mph city.
    Is it due to the A/C being on most of the time??
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    A/C will effect it somewhat, but also check the engine air filter. That can have a 10%+ difference in fuel milage if it's dirty.

Toyota Ken
  • skatebirdskatebird Posts: 1
    Hey guys, anybody knows what are dimensions of all four stock speakers on a 2000 echo?

thanks
    On my 2003 they are 6 1/2 in front and 6x9 in the back. Can't see it changing between years so I would assume it is the same. I also have 1 inch tweeters in the dash, it actually came with the tweeters which was surprising....
  • sapoohsapooh Posts: 7
    A/C will affect your fuel efficentcy for sure... try it windows down... it feels more like summer ;) and it's cheaper!
    for those previous messages... canada sells almost all of its gaz to the USA, the reason why gaz is more expensive in some part of canada it the provincial taxes... (just compare prices between quebec and ontario... it's awfull)
  • snifflessniffles Posts: 34
    I have absolute proof that using AC during the summer really sucks gas and that driving on the highway with the windows down and no AC really saves gas. I've always heard that in hot weather you use more gas with the windows down than with them closed and the AC on. I have a 2003 Echo with a 5 speed manual and the first 2 summers of ownership I always used my AC and got around 41-42 mpg on my mostly highway driving. This summer I decided to sweat a lot and not use my AC while driving. Here is my mileage for the last 3 tanks.

43.5 mpg
    43.9 mpg
    45.3 mpg

I think that proves it! The heat/humidity in the Baltimore, Md. area this summer has really been bad!!

Sniffles
    If you were REALLY keen on saving gas you would drive with the AC off AND the windows rolled up. Think of the potential!
    Speaking of savings gas I heard the Honda Accord V6 hybrid saves all of 2 mpg over the four cylinder Accord. Apparently the car is bought for its wicked acceleration with both a gas and electric motor. Nuts!
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    Using the air conditioner is a necessity for many people so they should not have a guilt feeling about wasting gas. I remember as a teen I drove a black car with black interior in the August south Georgia heat and the only ac was when I manually rolled the windows down. I had to sit on a towel to keep from burning my legs. Even after a short ride the fatigue was overwhelming. Now that I am older and aware of the dangers from the heat, the ac that sucks some gas is literally a really keen life saver.

Babyboomer
    I'll be happy if I get 28-29mpg on my car this summer and on this forum I see ppl not happy with 38-40 mpg!:)
    Are there any special attachements/fittings that you put in your cars??
    Please write....Id really like to know.
    Also, I bought mine used, maybe thats the prob:(
    Has your car been maintained properly? Does it have auto transmission? Do you drive agressively? (or even know whether or not you really do?) Do you take mostly short trips?
    I agree - I am not THAT concerned about the gas when I am still getting over 30 mpg with AC on - don't want to look like I just ran a marathon upon arrival anywhere!
    I did just get 41 mpg on a long distance drive with AC on for half the tank, so that's not bad - it may just be the combination of AC and strictly city/rush hour driving that's the killer.
    Overall still a great car!
    Yes, the maintenance is up to date...
    No aggressive driving....short trips, well yes...work and around NJ.
    But even when we went to OH last month....and thats about 500 odd miles, the top mileage was 40.
    I dont know whats wrong, the service guys at Toyota have no answer either.
    Parking brake dragging? Main brakes dragging? Fuel return lines to gas tank working normally? Fuel filter plugged? Spark plugs correct? Thermostat not in open position when engine is cold? Test the theromstat I think thats it. Im thinking 40 mpg on the highway is pretty normal for an auo.