Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• jmeyers1jmeyers1 Posts: 6
    I live in the HOT HUMID SWAMP land of the south... 9 months of the year its generally unbearable heat... 3 months of cold wet weather. The AC works great... just turn the control to the full setting for cold... another thing park your car in the shade.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    If you are in the "Sunbelt," then strongly consider getting your windows tinted. It's not just an appearance item . . . it's like an A/C upgrade. In addition, if you are planning to keep your ECHO for a long time, blocking UV radiation will extend the life of the interior materials.

Just a friendly tip from the Texas Gulf Coast, where "high 90s" can describe the Fahrenheit temp and the humidity on the same day.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I've done it on the Corolla, and I have to agree with kneisl1

micweb: which car did the air filter come from?
  • geegee1958geegee1958 Posts: 29
    are also great for keeping the sun from baking your dashboard and steering wheel. Don't do much for protecting the upholstery from the sun though. I have noticed people who put the sun shades on the back window ledge too- just lying flat (not up against the window), I guess to protect the fabric along the back window. Good idea I guess, especially if the fabric is black or another dark color.
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Anyone rack up some substantial (greater than 80k miles) mileage on their Echo?
  • ochmanskiochmanski Posts: 7
    does any one know what size the speakers are? this is for all three locations. the doors, dash and rear. i want to replace the stock ones. thanks for the help!
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    Try http://www.crutchfield.com/

Even if you end up buying somewhere else, the "What Fits My Car" tool on their website is very helpful to get started.

As far as I can tell, the Toyota 3-in-1 headunit in the ECHO seems OK as far as putting out sufficient power. (Some stock radios are really weak!!!) So I think a speaker upgrade to enhance sound quality may really make a significant difference. Happy hunting!
  • cmeijningcmeijning Posts: 16
    My Yaris Verso 1.3 just had its 75 K kilometre service. The dealer gave me a Yaris diesel as a loaner that day. The 1.4 diesel is an impressive engine. The diesel is quiet, strong and very fuel efficient. I drove 420 kilometre and used 19.6 litres diesel.
    Anyone know of changes planned for the 03 Echo?
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    If you want a cushier seat, eat more. ; )

I would hate to be the person who has 80k miles on their Echo. They would have to have one heck of a long commute.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    The local newpaper evaluated a Honda Civic Hybrid recently and were very pleased that they got 40 mpg in local driving. This car had a sticker of almost $25K! Im thinking Toyota should be playing up the green angle here with the ECHO. I guess it would make the Prius look bad, though.
  • cbiecbie Posts: 5
    having had her for less than 4 months. Proud mom suffered separation anxiety all the time ECHO pokie was having her oil change and brakes cleaned. Around the same time I purchased a 35mm camera (no sense in buying a digital
    camera when I don't own a computer) and have been snapping away taking many priceless photos. I love my ECHO
    pokie. The only thing I would improve on is her turn signal volume which is rather quiet especially with the radio on. But that's a minor thing.

I think it's cute that ECHOs tend to appear in pairs or multiples and are often seen hanging around shopping centers. And them little ECHOs can really zip on the freeway! Now you see 'em, now you don't. 8)
  • dham2dham2 Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Echo with 26k miles. In Phoenix it was 111 today and the a/c worked just fine. Turn the fan speed up to almost high and recirculate the air. Also, window tint helps a lot, and I wrapped the freon line in the engine compartment. BTW: I'm averaging 45mi/g with the a/c on, combined highway and city.
  • rkrig1rkrig1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Echo which I purchased in March this year. I am experiencing squeaky brakes. I took it to the dealer and he said it was due to dust in the brakes. I have never had a vehicle that the brakes made any noise due to dust. Has anyone else had this problem ?
    Also, has anyone installed a Front End Mask? Will it damage the paint, and will it keep off the bug and stone damage??
    I have experienced squeaky brakes from dust before (but not on an Echo). I simply wiped the rotors and drums clean with a rag with a little gasoline and the squeak went away.
    I'm curious about the Echo's resale value. They don't have too many Echo's in my area, so I rarely see a used Echo in the newspaper.

Perhaps someone from a bigger metropolis could give me some insight on the Echo's resale value.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Check out http://www.getauto.com. You can search all through the US on any car make and model. This should give you an idea. Also check on the TMV right here at Edmunds.com.
  • rkrig1: The dealer told us that as far as squeaky brakes (our car is 4 mos old) that he can't promise anything because it depends on the brake mfr. Dealer deglazed the brakes but there still is a squeak every now & then, especially when reversing. He assured us it was safe. I look at it as having a back-up warning system for free. :)

mralan: Here in Hawaii, island of Oahu, dealer (Servco Pacific) is selling a used 2001 auto, 4-dr for $9,995, 37K miles, finish with noticeable scratches (probably a former rental car). Here on Oahu the dealer buys back the Echos after one year from the rental car company and resells them. The car did have a 'Sold As Is' sign on the window, so I assume it is not a certified used car?
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I think I've finally figured out how to get my player back to normal. I tried using a lens cleaner but the results were very temporary. As the error message kept referring to a 'dirty disc' I figured there was something obscuring the lens. I used compressed air-the kind you use to clean computer keyboards with-and it seems to have done the trick!
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    Kneisl, I certainly agree with your comment about Echo mileage as compared with the hybrids. For lots more money and lots more complexity one can purchase a hybrid that probably gives just a little more mileage. But I think the hybrid owners are largely trying to support the whole push towards conservation, which doesnt get a lot of support in most places. For instance, even here at Edmunds, looking at cars other than the Echo, you don't see the editors give weight to relative fuel efficiency, whereas they sure point out power and dwell on gadgetry and such. By the way, my sister had an 84 Civic that gave fuel efficiency every bit as good as my Echo. But it was a 1300cc with lots less power than I have with my 00 Echo.
    ....Also, I am curious about the 03 Corolla. It is a taller car than previous Corollas, and I wonder if it supplies back seat roominess as good or better than the Echo?? Our family chose not to buy a Corolla back in 2000 because of lack of rear seat legroom.