Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,690
    A couple weeks ago my Sunoco station dug their tanks up. So i had to go to a Mobile station where i used to go. I got 33 mpg on their gas! Switched to a BP on the way to work and mileage is back to~40. Didnt think that was possible!
  • I commute roughly 140 miles per day in my 2000 Echo for almost 3 straight years. My main drag is a major interstate, though at times it is stop-and-go during rush hour. The car feels stable at higher speeds and I don't get shoved around by the wake of larger vehicles.

I average about 34 mpg in the warm months, slightly less during the winter. I change my oil every 4000-5000 miles. I wouldn't compromise on the oil changes. "Synthetic oil is a good choice if you have a high performance engine or if you live in an extremely cold climate, otherwise it provides no benefit (but no harm either)." (http://www.nordicgroup.us)

I'm about to schedule a 100,000 mile maintenance for this car. I am not expecting much but new front brakes and spark plugs. :) http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- emotorcons/emo_smiley.gif
    I was wondering how much the "intelligence" feature of the VTTi affects mileage. Would you say you drive aggressively with frequent brisk accelerations? (Like you might have to in traffic)
    Have your valve clearances been checked? if so i was wondering if you knew what they were? If they havent been checked and you plan to drive your ECHO for many more thousands of miles thats something you d want checked.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    My 2001 Echo has 153k miles and I am on my 8th oil change (about 20K per OCI). I've used both Amsoil 5W-30 and Mobil 1, 5W-30 EP.

Based on oil analysis I could go much longer between changes. So far, the car uses no oil between changes. No topping up, NADA, ZIP.

My commute is 40 miles each way, mostly highway. My average MPG is 41.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    So was that car worth the money you spent, or what??!! :-)

Mine just crossed the 74K threshold, same fuel economy as yours and has no oil consumption either. But then, it has half the miles of yours...

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Frequent highway miles are the easiest miles possible to put on a car. You are likely to be rewarded with a very high mileage total on the car and engine. My ECHO is operated under the most difficult of circumstances, less than 100 miles per week and rarely more than 6.5 miles per trip. I change my oil three times a year, regardless of miles. (which average less than 2000 miles per change) The one thing that works to its advantage is rarely being operated above 45 mpg. This should increase the life of the brakes, tires and suspension.
    tire and suspension life be dictated more by the general condition of the roads you cover rather than the speed of operation?

The faster you go the faster these things wear out.
    The car is definitely worth the money. It is easily the most reliable car I have ever had and I have had many.

I am confident that with proper maintenance 500k miles is absolutely possible with the original engine and transmission.
    Although out of my 40 mile commute 25 miles are highway, the other 15 miles are stop and go and it takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes each way.
    The valve guides will wear out first. At that point if the heads of the valves dont break off and smash the engine up the unburned fuel in the exhaust will destroy the catalytic converter. The valve guides are the weakest link. I think it unlikely they will last 500,000 miles. I wouldnt leave the origional timing chain in there for 500,000 miles either. If it breaks (or even jumps time) the pistons will hit the valves, ruining the engine. When I was rebuilding car engines the most common thing that happened was the owner not adding oil when the engine began using it.
    But the rest of the car will be a wreck before that. It will need fixing on a regular basis, although that can be done with enough $$$$. At some point youll be spending so much money on repairs and losing the use of the car that it will make more sense to just buy a new one.
    My brother in law, who has his own repair business, claims he has never seen a Toyota engine throw a rod as long as the oil was kept in the engine.
    If and when the valve guides start to wear enough to notice the oil consumption, I will probably elect to replace them. At the same time it would make sense to replace the timing chain.

Next thing on my list of maintenance will be to replace the water pump, whether it is needed or not.
    I would do a compression check maybe once a year. That will catch the sealing loss from leaky valves as well as other things that may be wearing out. (although those wouldnt be as critical) Have you had the valve clearances checked? Most likely they dont need any attention BUT if you find tight clearances that would lead to valve and seat dammage pretty quickly. The clearance should be checked every 60K miles.
  • scjfanscjfan Posts: 9
    After 53k miles I notice my original factory front tires have uneven wear more on inside. The outside wear of the front tires might still give several thousands miles of service, but the inside wear is very close to the bar. The rear tires will probably go for another 50k miles. I have never rotated the tires or done any alignment since I bought the Echo new. I just bought two factory tires from Tirerack. I plan to move the two rear tires to the front, and put the two new tires on the rear.

My questions are:

1) Do I need front end alignment? If so, will it correct the inside wear of front tires?

2) I have heard that there is very little adjustment that can be done on Echo's front end. Will the aftermarket alignment kits available from Tirerack be worthy to solve my alignment problem on my factory tires/rims?

3) When I move the two rear tires to the front, do I need to balance them?

Thanks,

Simon
    I believe of the three possible adjustments the only one that can be done on the ECHO is toe in. Im not sure you have an alignment problem if you got 50k miles from the origional tires. Ive never heard of the alignment kits you mention.
    But YES I would balance those rear tires before you put them on the front!
  • scjfanscjfan Posts: 9
    I just talked to a tire installer recommended by Tirerack on the phone. He said Echo has all three adjustable angles on the front end. He also recommended 4-wheel alignment. I will bring the car to his shop this Friday for tire mounting and 4-wheel alignment.

Please check out the following site for alignment kits:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/products/alignKits.jsp
    Clearance was checked at approximately 120k miles and found to be exactly the way it should be, a little on the loose side of the specification. I'll wait until 250k miles to check the next time as it is not cheap to do.
    No I imagine its not cheap but it is possible to do it yourself. If it needs adjustment thats another story!
    they fixed my tire's slow leak today - finally found the time to spend a half hour at the tire store. They took out the TINIEST little staple - like the ones they use in those heavy cardboard boxes - you could imagine. It is hard to believe that something so small was causing me to put three pounds in per week.

They rebalanced the tire too, so a little bit of vibration that had developed in the steering has been totally smoothed out. :-)

On a cross country motorcycle trip I stopped in St Paul to see my cousin. There was a clevis pin about 3/16 in diameter and 1 1/2 inch long sort of SIDEWAYS in my rear tire. It wasnt even sharp. Her husband noticed it. No loss in air pressure. Just a few minutes earlier I was on the Minneapolis beltway in traffic doing 80 with cars passing me like I was standing still.
    Once the balance weights slipped on one of my tires. It just went round and round the tire. I only noticed the vibe when I went 60 to pass a truck. Usually I go only 45. Took me a week to figure it out but they found it in the shop right away.
  • Hello,
    I hit a short iron marker thing in the parking lot which has messed up my bumper real bad, there is a big dent on one side.
    Does anyone know any place in NJ where I can get this fixed?or some site/shop where I can get a new bumper if need be?
    I am a bit sceptical about going to the dealer as it might cost 2 or 3 times more:(
    Any suggestions?
    Go around and get estimates. I think youre right about the dealer, but go there too. They probably subcontract out. Is the car driveable and inspectibile with the dammage? Once you see what its going to cost to fix (maybe $2000) you might just want to accept it as part of your ECHOs ageing process.
  • Is it ok to tow a 500 pound trailer/boat 1,000 miles from philly to florida? I just go around the region now with no problems
    thanks
    rick
    I towed a 16 foot aluminum boat with a VERY heavy trailer with absolutely no problem. Im not sure if this weighed 500 pounds but it must have been close. As long as you dont have the car heavily loaded otherwise I would do it. Tell us what happens if you do!
  • I will . Going south in July . Thnaks for your response
    rick
  • I understand that on some cars the air induction is mounted low on the engine. This may cause water to get in when you go through water/large puddles.This in turn can damage the engine Is this true? Where is the air induction on the echo?
    thanks
    rick
    The air intake is about the same level as the valve cover. There have been no complaints about that sort of thing happening on the ECHO. I think its unlikely that is a problem for the ECHO.
  • I sprayed the dull black plastic molding on my Echo with WD40 to give it more of a shine and it seems to be working. Did I do wrong?
    Armour all is traditional for that sort of thing.
    WD40 kind of too runny for that purpose? You would either avoid runniness by putting on a very small amount, which wouldn't have much effect, or if you put enough on to have an effectm, it would run all over the place. Also, you would want to use something with a sealant, like ArmorAll. WD40 is a very light mineral oil - the first good rain and it will be gone.

But if you are asking if you damaged anything, no, I don't think you did.