Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    Last weekend my wife and I took a backroad trip in the ECHO from Westmont to Saratoga Springs NY, a distance of about 330 miles. All deserted two lane highway basically following the Delaware River into NY. Probably the most time we have spent together alone for a few years! Which is dangerous because although we get along very well all the friction between us comes out when we are driving together. ("Are you going to hit EVERY pothole in the road?" "WHEN are you going to turn the windshield wipers on") But we got along famously the entire time and the ECHO besides being a pleasure to drive on twisty turny roads got 38 mpg.
    My ECHO passed its first NJ inspection yesterday. In the NOX department with a score of 725 to pass, the ECHO got 14. In the HC part of the test, you can get a 14 and still pass. ECHO got 1. There was 0 thats right 0 measured CO in the test. I wonder what the Prius's are getting?
  • The echo, along with most (not all) of the other vehicles in Toyota's product line are classified as ULEV vehicles. This means that they have 10% or less of the emmissions of a LEV vehicle. Proof is in the Pudding as they say, so congrats.
  • Georgia does not have inspections for things like NOX. Many years ago Georgians were required to have inspections but the law was negated. Does anyone know which states mandate inspections, or if the list in shorter, which states do not require inspections?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I know MD doesn't require inspections. You do have to do the emissions testing only, and that's every 2 years. But no inspections.
  • The articles I have read about the 2003 Echo indicated that the length was being increased by about 1.6 inches over the 2002, but the brochure I have does not show that change. It does show one [glaring] change in figures, though.

The 2003 brochure shows that ground clearance has been reduced by about half an inch. Does this mean the Echo has been lowered or has the front and rear redesign caused the change?
    That would be the only thing I would think.

How is your Echo holding up now? It's been awhile since I have seen you here. Did you ever convince your roommate to get an Echo? :) I got my best friend to get one, and he loves it thus far.
  • My Echo is coming up on its second birthday [as measured when I bought it] and it is rapidly approaching 50,000 miles. Still love driving it.

My roommate is still without her own car, but her son is leaving the area [to join the Marines] and won't be taking his car so she will be driving his for a while.

Vocus, your answer wasn't really clear to me so would you clarify. It was almost like I asked, "Do you want tuna salad or chicken salad?" and you said, "Yes." I couldn't figure out if you thought the Echo had been lowered or the change in facia had caused the lower ground clearance. What do you think?
    Sorry, that was a dumb answer, now that I reread it. :)

The front/rear restyle wouldn't have anything to do with the lowering of the car. Maybe Toyota lowered the car to try and not make it feel tippy, as some people complained about.

I raced around a corner with my friend's car, the day he bought it (used), and it felt tippy to me. BUT, I am used to driving a turbo Jetta with sport suspension and 17" tires on it too.. :)
    Today My ECHO is two years old. 13,501 miles, tires half worn out (potenzas) windshield wiper blades replaced, average mileage so far 38 mpg. (almost all city driving) No problems!
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Does your ECHO have an automatic or manual tranny? 2 dr. of 4 dr?
    Its a five speed, two door. (but what diff would a two door make I wonder?)
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    I was just curious about how many doors because I'm still undecided on which model I'm getting in Mar 03.

Seems like most ECHO's are 4 doors.
    Yes thats true there are. Its easier that way to carry passengers. But my two door is like a hanicapped bus its SO easy to get in and out of with my bad back!
    TWO years old and you only have 13,501 miles?!? I hate you! :) I have 26K miles on my Jetta, and it just turned a year old the Sunday before last. I drive 35 miles one way to work daily though...
    Yes but you are doing "good" miles where the engine fully warms up. I expect youll easily see 150k out of the engine that way...maybe more. I on the other had have a 6.5 mile trip to work and thats about all the car gets. The dipstick is already brown coated with varnish, despite oil changes three times a year.
  • hey i have an echo bodykit for sale imported from japan taking reasonable offers

also have B&M short shifter asking 100 + shipping

also omp adjustable strut tower brace asking 70 + shipping

also jsp touring spoiler already painted electric green 150 + shipping

also have aem power pulley (alternator under drive pulley) made to fit gt celica and corolla was going to try and make fit but never got the oppertunity to inspect it out completely selling for 70 plus shipping comes with belt

also 17 inch enkei sazukas asking 400 plus shipping needs new tires

also intrax camber kit 20 plus shipping

lastly i have a pioneer avx p7300dvd w/p8000r brain for 1100 shipped

all prices are USD and are negotiable if interested please post or email me at grnechory19@aol.com
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    To solve the problem you are facing (varnish) you can simply use a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or Amsoil and this will clean the engine up.

Another choice would be to use an additive to clean the engine before your next oil change.

Take a look at the following url's, you might decide to use this product.

By the way I am not a dealer and I have NOT used this product.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000026

http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html