Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,690
    Its just telling you the car is warming up from a cold condition. When the light goes out the warm up is complete. Everything is fine and your ECHO is running as its creator intended it to!
  • I wanted to extend my deepest appreciation and gratitude to you for taking the time to respond to my concern. Thank you for giving me a peace of mind!
    Sure no problem. If you have any other questions about your ECHO feel free to ask any time!
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    I almost wonder if there should be a sticky for this one particular item (both here and in the Yaris thread) since it's an exceptionally common question but the answers get lost in the general maintenance thread.

It could be titled: "Echo/Yaris Instrument Lights - blue/green Temperature light/Automatic doesn't up-shift" or something to that effect followed by the basic explanation:

It's completely normal. The light stays lit until the engine is at it's appropriate temperature at which time it will allow the automatic transmission to upshift.

Hey Mods... what do you think?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We don't actually have the traditional form of stickys here. On the other hand, we do have outstanding search features that can be accessed from many levels. That's the way people can find the things that have been previously discussed. :shades:
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    I think that most dealer's are out of the 2009 Yarii. We have three Toyota dealer's in Memphis, one dealer has one left in stock, the others have none. The 2010's should be out soon. They will have upgraded standard safety features. Probably worth waiting for. You can find quite a few used Yarii on Ebay and even a few on the dealer's lots.
  • never bothered to take apart the gear box yet of my 01 echo but it grinds in 2nd which is horrible going uphill cuz once you get to 2nd your doing 10 and and got to shift back to first....but anyway, does this gearbox have traditional synchronizers or like some people have tried to explain...snychro gears? cant wrap my head around it and dont want to take apart a gearbox if i wont understand it....PLEASE HELP!!!!
    How many miles on it? Have you tried double clutching? The books says for wont go into gear:

1) shift cable faulty
    2) synchronizer ring worn
    3)shift key spring dammaged

I looked at the pictures and there are two synchro rings on the output shaft and two on the input shaft.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    I'm $500 poorer this evening - got the Michelin Harmonys put on today, and had an alignment done and an oil change since it was there and it was about time.

Right off I notice it is a softer tire (the Harmony is S-rated as the original tires were; the Toyos I had before were T-rated) but that's not a bad thing. Echo is no race car to begin with. ;-)

There is less impact harshness over bad pavement than I ever had with the Toyos. And supposedly this is an 80K-mile tire, which means if they perform to expectations, these may well be the last tires I ever buy for this car.

Now I'm crossing my fingers that I will also get better wet traction when the rain starts in a month or so......

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Weeee $500! Actually thats cheap for the quality you got....
  • What ever you do, do not put in another Toyota radio there is a big problem with them , just go to a stero shop in your area and they can recommend something that will fit, my personal preference is JVC

Bugs
  • The radios are a big problem with these cars -- get it out of there and install a new aftermarket stero and also check the Rear Speaker wires

Bugs
  • On the Echo's there develop a mysterious phantom draw in the System - it is in the radio. There is a problem with the factory steros in the cars. Replace with after market stero's

Bugs
    Yeah, that's what I figure.

I wonder if they will cause my fuel economy to go UP at all. That would be a nice side benefit......

• thank you so much got the rings yesterday and now its just fine
    You took the transmission apart and put new synchros in yourself? Impressive!
  • Check engine light came on today. Went to auto zone. They got the code of o2 sensor or cat. converter. Anyone know the replacement costs for these parts?
    thanks as usual:)
  • Looking to buy a new toyota 2010 yaris hatchback. Are they or have they been as reliable and fuel efficient as the Echo? Yaris sight not that informative.
    thanks
    My Yaris is OK. I dont like it as much as my 2001 ECHO. The ride is stiffer and the car not as manuverable as the ECHO. A Yaris is much bigger than an ECHO and thats not good. I dont think the Yaris is built as well either. Its certainly heavier than the ECHO. The mileage with auto trans is averaging 36 which is pretty good considering 100% of my driving is city. I got 41 mpg on the only trip i took with the cruise on 74 mph. The ECHO got 40 mpg driving in the city and once got 52 mpg on a trip to AC going 60-65.
    The best new car out there is the Yaris. I just wish I could drive my ECHO with the manual transmission. The ECHO is the best small car ever made, IMO.
    I agree with you on most every point except maneuvering. The Echo has a tremendous amount of body roll compared to the Yaris. It will still corner well if you know what you're doing, but the Yaris is much better around the bends; I can't wait to put some slightly stickier tires on it and it will be better still.
  • Thanks. I test drove a 2 door hatch with 5 speed. i thought it handled well. good acceleration to highway speed. But yeah I have the 2001 ECHO too. great car best car i ever owned. close to 220,000 miles now, nothing major in terms of repairs. its nimble, radio still excellent. gas mileage still low 40's. But burns maybe quart of oil every 1,000. But keep under 70 burns close to nothing
    I was even thinking of getting a well maintained echo as my 'new' car lol
    rick
    By all means keep an eye out for that low mile fabulous ECHO! You have lots of time!
  • Hi,
    My son just bought a 2000 Echo 5sp. The owner's manual does not address one, lone, toggle switch that is right in the middle of the front console on a pedestal below the radio/CD/ashtray. It has a line and cirle on it for "on/off"

I don't think it was some aftermarket install...

Does anyone any ideas what this switch is for?

/denis
    Picture? Since its not in the OM it must not be factory...
  • Since he has the little Red Racer (he just learned how to drive a standard and loves it)... he is never home. But I will try to get a picture and maybe even peek behind the pedestal and see if I can make any sense of it. I'll get back...
    Whew - finally... I'm glad someone found that! Whatever you do... DON'T PUSH THAT BUTTON!

;)
  • I don't care what they say, that there's funny.
  • OF COURSE I PUSHED IT... nothing. Actually got in behind and saw that it wasn't hookup up to anything anymore. May have been for some fog lights or something. I should hook it up to something to play a joke on him... maybe for April Fool's day or something. Any suggestions on what I could do?
    /denis
  • rep5858rep5858 Posts: 45
    CEL came on code was for cat. converter and/or 02 sensor. i disconnected neg terminal. code came back on 200 miles later. did same thing 400 miles light not on.
    what can I do get dirt out of cat con? replacement over 800! why so much?
    on another note does anyone know when toyota will restock their dealers with yaris's?
    thanks as always
    Dealers in my area have a bunch of Yarises in stock. Perhaps this is just a case of your local dealer not ordering Yarises?