Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Those Bus' were very narrow looking and blocky, so that would make sense that they aren't stable in winds.

My mother (at the time) had a '69 Chevy Impala, and this VW Bus cut in front of her once. She hit it in the left back corner so hard that the engine came out of the right side. She said the fan belt was still spinning, as the engine landed in the roadway to the right of the bus. She said the damage to her car was a dent in the rim around the left headlight...
  • IleIle Posts: 14
    I don't know how some people got past 113 indicated my car has an electronic limiter at 113MPH. Once, coming back from Texas I was going through Oklahoma and through the entire state I was going no less than 105mph. I should take the time to take the limiter off and see just how fast it could go. I am guessing 118. Yaris in Europe can do that much. I am not certain if that is with a limiter too or not.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Back when my Echo was much newer and had many less miles, I had it up over a 100mph on a trip back from Saint Louis. Felt rock solid. That was the night that I played tag with a BMW 3 series. He passed me and then slowed down slightly where I then passed him and slowed down slightly. We kept this up for many a mile and it helped pass the time.
    How many miles do you have on your Echo now?
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    The tires on my Echo are Michelin MX4's. After 43k miles there are 8/32nds left. Apparently that means that these tires will last 300k miles, assuming I change them at 2/32nds remaining.
    Only time will tell. I keep them slightly overinflated at 35 Psi and rotate them every 6k miles.
    By the way, the difference in mileage is due to the use of winter tires last season. I didn't use them this year.

My brake pads have 80% life left after 56k miles.
    Does that mean that they will last another 170k miles before I have to change them?
    Probably not but only time will tell.
    So you see, my driving is very easy on tires and brakes. Only occasionally I get tempted to try the top speed :-).

Kneisl:

At the rate you accumulate miles your Echo is going to survive you!
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    I have 58,000 and change.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    I will catch you pretty soon! I drove my pickup truck for the last 4 months and let the Echo rest for a while. Now that the winter is over here in southwestern BC I'm back to the car. The fact that gas prices are way up convinced me to finally do the right thing. 40mpg is certainly much better than the 19 mpg I was getting before with my K1500 (98 Chev).
    By if I keep driving like I do to my work I'll get about 85xxx by the end of summer
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    I need to remove my echo bug guard because it is cracked but how do I remove the little rubber pieces that seem stuck on to the hood?? do I just rip them off or will it take off the paint? Any tips please? thanks.
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    It's been a couple of months since I've installed the a/c filter so I pulled it out to take a look. Yuck! The filter has turned a light grey color and there were asst'd small bugs and leaves trapped on it. Looks like it will be good for 5 or 6 months. It's made a world of difference for my allergies!
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    You might try softening them with a hair dryer...dont heat the paint to bubbling...just give the bits a little heat until they get warm and pull them off. Maybe pouring some hot water on them will do the same thing.
      Pulgo: Maybe yes and maybe no, I drive only short distances which is definately not good for the engine. It would be cool for it to last 15 years though.
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    Kneisl,
    Sorry I hadnt replied sooner, life has been busy and I have been away from this board. I really don't know if the Toyota mechanic did any valve adjusting for me, at the 60K maintenance. I knew the price to be too high, but I felt like I should go the straight and narrow for once and take my car to the dealer's service department for this one. I didn't get any paperwork that would indicate whether valves were adjusted. Now we are up to 72K.
    ...When I fly to Oahu i get compact rentAcars usually. A week ago I got a Pontiac Sunfire. What a huge difference from the Echo. It felt like a small car (seemed less roomy than the Echo) with all the drawbacks of a large car. None of the agility of the Echo, or visibility.
    I drove one rental about 1 year ago it was terrible. I am sure my 5 speed ECHO would destroy it. I cannot believe people buy Cavaliers same as SunFire. I don't believe that there is ONE aspect about these two cars that is equal to ECHO'S. May be there is but I am not aware of it.
  • cmeijningcmeijning Posts: 16
    What kind of gas do you use, benzin or super?
  • You guys act like you own a sports car going 100mph. Come on now its an economy car that gets good gas mileage lets not make it what its not.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    Remember the BMW 2002 had a 100 hp engine and was considered very sporty for its day. The ECHO has 106 hp and probably weighs less. The handling is VERY quick as I can attest to after rat racing with all kinds of cars on the Garden State Parkway. Yes its an economy car and that is why I love it. The engine is special though. Why dont you do the ton in an ECHO yourself and report bacl. (stay in a straight line!)
    You don't necessarily have to own a sports car to get it to go 100mph. If you can handle the car at that speed, it should be no problem.

Small, lightweight cars are going to be quicker and handle better than a heavier one, that's physics at work for ya...
    I owned a Cavalier and a good friend now has an Echo. I can tell you that the Cavalier is larger, heavier, less reliable, and less economical than the Echo, and also has less interior room. I don't see anything about the Cavalier better than the Echo either, other than the initial price. But you get what you pay for...
  • Yes. I have owned all of these sports cars. I crashed the 71 gremlin into a telephone pole back in 76. It had a light rear end that tended to spin out on curves covered with leftover snowplow sand. I was a senior in h.s. and was doing about 45mph. Of the five, Echo handles the best-gremlin, the worst. Gremlin had the most cubes with 232 but, the least comfortable seats. Stay tuned.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    "Gremlin, Vega, J2000, Horizon and Echo."
    "Yes. I have owned all of these sports cars"

you don't really consider any of those vehicles a sports car, do you?