Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Pet, given your name which suggests you live in NYC, not sure knowing the dealer's name would do you any good since I live in the midwest. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
    I am sure that you can put 15" wheels on your older Echo. The thing you need to watch is the size of tires you put on those wheels. To keep the speedometer accurate, when one measurement goes up another must go down. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which two measurements those are. Can someone help us out?
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Your 2000/2001 Echo can use several different tire sizes, none of which require recalibrating your speedometer. I suggest you go to www.tires.com and enter your vehicle brand, model and year and you will find out that a 195/50 tire will fit your Echo with no problems whatsoever. The diameter of that tire (circumference) is very close if not identical to the standard 175/14 that came with your car. Any bigger tire (wider) will possibly require some fender trimming and or widening.
  • janbee, are you referring to side moulding or side cladding? If you're referring to the 1/2" wide side moulding some echos sport as side door guards, the warranty should be for the life of the car. We had the side mouldings put on after we bought our car. Our salesman told us we could save $100 by going to the outside shop who installs for Servco Pacific on Oahu. The shop told us that anytime it started to come off just bring the Echo back to them and they'd repair it free of charge. I think it's only a matter of putting on new adhesive.
  • I forgot to ask janbee, what did the dealer say about your fuse/light problems? Was it a short or something else?
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    I guess you would call it the cladding, its the plastic piece that goes around the base of the car, I dont have door guards, I wish I did cuz I have a few little dings here and there. Luckily it was just a fuse that was causing my lack of light. One other note, a few months ago as I was driving down my street a deer ran out and I somewhat hit it, it was more of a bump tho, no damage to my car (or the deer) except it broke a piece off my bug guard, but the dealership noticed my left front light had 2 cracks on the inside where it was mounted to the car. They said its fine now but eventually will leak and it will set me back $300 cdn, ouch, pricey lights.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I was surprised to see some Echos on the lot of Enterprise rent-a-car tonight when I was there. I didn't get to see what kind of equipment they had, but never thought of Toyota as a rental type car. I guess the days of getting stuck with a crappy GM rental are becoming a thing of the past...
  • Yes, I believe two rental companies in Hawaii have been renting Echos since 2000. My sister rented an Echo twice before we ended up buying our Echos. Sometimes, depending on the season, they're hard to get. One time they told her they'd hold an Echo for her, but when she went down to pick it up, they were out of Echos.
  • gaiffemgaiffem Posts: 11
    Go to www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to find a handy on-line calculator that will show you what impact a change in tire size will have on your speedometer. Hope this helps.
    If you go back and reread the posts, you will see that it was not I who had the question about going to 15" tires. I was merely responding to another poster. But thanks for the website address.
    I am getting the new tires at my dealership and they did not have the Dunlops in stock. They could order them, but they would not get them until two days after I planned on having new tires on the Echo. All this means that I am not getting Dunlops, but having a new set of Goodyear Integritys put on.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Good choice. You will get a better tire in the Goodyears I think.

Good luck.
  • I had Dunlops on my 2001 Sentra and have to say they were the worst tires I ever had....

I have since replaced them with GoodYear Allegras. Have driven them in all weather types and have excellent traction....Plus Managed to get them at a good price through our Canadian Tire Store ($75 a piece).
  • dawgpakdawgpak Posts: 42
    went to dealer w/ my daughter to look at used Corrolas - bought her new blue 2003 Echo at dealer invoice. She couldn't stand either Scion. She absolutely loves the Echo. Traded our '99 Sienna. This is my 10th Toyota!

'72 Corona Mark II (parent's)
    '77 Pickup (new)
    '81 Tercel (new)
    '82 Tercel (new)
    '83 Pickup (new)
    '88 MR2 (new)
    '99 Sienna (new)
    '01 Tacoma (used)
    '01 MR2 (new)
    '03 Echo (new)
  • petro33petro33 Posts: 192
    I have an '02 Spyder, how do you like yours. My 23 year old son really loves it. When I was on vacation it was his car to drive. I don't think he ever put the top up!
    Recently Amsoil informed that their synthetic ATF now complies with the Toyota T-IV standard.
    Since I already use their bypass filter system and motor oils with great results I am going to try their ATF for my '01 Echo.
    Since you own a factory manual, could you tell me how to flush and fill the automatic transmission? I need the location of the drain plug and the exact capacity of the tranny.
    Many thanks in advance.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    Unfortunately there is no proceedure in the manual for that. The section on the auto trans doesnt even tell you how to take it apart just how to take it out and how to replace little things like temperature sensor, etc. The drain plug is right on the botton of the pan according to the drawings. There is no mention that I can find of how much oil is in the auto trans! I know the ammount of oil in the manual trans is in the owners manual. Ill keep looking in the book (its a big book) but there isnt much at all about the specifics of the auto trans in it. Wish I could be of more help. If anyone wants to know about stuff in the service manual Ill do my best to help out.
    Thanks kneisl1.
    I didn't want to take my Echo to the local Toyota service station and ask them to install an ATF not approved by Toyota. I'll consult my manual, loosen the transmission drain plug, drain and replace the ATF 1 pint at a time. If anyone has a better procedure, please let me know.
    I could also use a suction pump and get the ATF out through the dipstick opening.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    It says in my service manual for the ECHO that the automatic transmission is covered in a separate book.