Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Never thought about that. I am used to the shaking when braking and know that means rotors need replacing or resurfacing. I know he needs pads though, because the brakes feel less effective then they did the day I drove the car when he bought it (with 36K on it).

He hits every bump in the road and isn't careful with the car, so no wonder it shakes and rattles like it does.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I saw a few 2003 Phantom Gray Echos. They are nice looking in this color. Nice pick by your roommate, Major!
  • Just dropped off my 2000 Echo at the dealer - I think the left front CV joint is toast. 32,000 miles. Back in February, my wife complained about clicking - since the car was at 30,000 miles I dropped it off for a 30k check - $400! They said they couldn't find anything. Now it's nice grinding sound, they won't be able to miss it.

They also say it will take them 9 days to get around to the car (Servco in Honolulu, Hawaii). Apparently broken Toyotas are stacked up so deep they can't see over the top. What's up with this quality reputation - major repairs at 30k miles? So many dead Toyotas they can't keep up?I bought the dang thing because of the reputation - maybe I made a mistake.

Anyone else having CVs go?
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    If you complained of clicking the first time and the dealer couldnt find the problem they are incompetant or theres nothing wrong with the cv joints. Did you look at them and see a torn boot? A good way to keep them honest because some people will replace perfectly good boots! Its a little unusual for boots to go that soon, but it happens. Perhaps they were dammaged by debris. I always inspect my boots at every oil change, even though my ECHO has only 18k miles on it. If you catch it early you wont have a destroyed joint. I recently caught a torn boot on my daughters Camry and Toyota charged $400 to change them all. good luck and tell us what the dealer finds out!
    One of the ones I saw at Enteprise a couple weeks ago was the grey color. I like that, the blue color, and the dark and bright red colors the best.
  • Coolguyky7, that looks like the Spanish flag next to your sign-in name. Where in Esp. do you live? Are you an American living abroad?
  • So how do you peeps like your Echos? Any regrets? With my present car I could have bought 2 Echos w/ change to spare.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I'm an American in the states. :-D I just like Spain.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    There's an excellent article about the Toyota Echo in todays local newspaper, The Vancouver Sun.
    If anyone is interested, send me an email and I'll send you the scanned article in PDF (Adobe Acrobat Reader required) or as a JPG if you prefer (smaller).

My email is in my profile.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Why not just post a link to the article? That way we can all enjoy it, and you don't run the risk of violating the Sun's intellectual property rights.
    Pat, I would post the link if it was an online article. It is not. I scanned the actual article from the newspaper. It contains an excellent opinion about the car. The article says that the projected sales for the next year in Canada will be 50000 cars, including the new hatchback. This would be the equivalent of 500,000 Echos sold in the US which would make it one of the most popular cars.
    Since in the US small cars don't sell that well total sales would probably be much lower.
    Yikes, well then it is likely your providing the article to others may very well violate the intellectual property rights of the Vancouver Sun. I just suggest that you be careful to check that out before sharing it for your own sake.
  • gaiffemgaiffem Posts: 11
    No regrets. Like the handling, interior room w/the fold-down rear seats (a got-to-have IMHO), ease of getting into and out of the vehicle, the high seating that allows me to look "over" traffic and avoid problems ahead, center-mounted instrument cluster, economy, and ease of maintenance. 42,000 miles so far, 2000, 5-speed, option packages #1 and #2. (I'm a 56 yr old guy with so-so knees. Am I a "peep"?)
  • In #3694, sfecho says that there is a TSB on replacing the rattling door lock pulls. Babyboomer also had these replaced with a newer design.
    However, my dealer didn't seem to know about the TSB or the newer part. I've scheduled an appointment two weeks from now to have the child restraint anchor and rear brake tube modifications done, as well as to repair the buckled rubber strip on the roof and a rattle in the dashboard. Because most of my rattles come from the door lock pulls, it would be really nice to have these replaced at the same time.
    If anyone knows more about this TSB (e.g. its number or where I can find it online), I would be very interested in hearing about it. The lists I've consulted don't seem to have anything beyond "fixing interior rattles" or something like that.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    I know there is a TSB on that. I remember reading it here not too long ago. That, and the clicking wheel covers. My friend's ECHO has the rattling door lock pulls as well, you can actually see them moving in their moorings when the car's moving. But that's not the only thing in his car that rattles.
    You can go to Technical Service Bulletins and ask the Town Hall's good friend 0patience to check on whether that TSB exists. If it does, he'll post it for you.
  • I like to play with language sometimes. That's my applied linguistics background.

Where are the Echos manufactured? I was surprised to learn that Acura TLs are manufactured in the U.S. My Jetta, and I wasn't aware of it when I bought it, was assembled in Mexico a few years back. I don't think VW fired those Mexican assembly workers yet because the VW Jettas and New Beetles are still rated as unreliable according to Consumer Reports. I agree.

In 2000 I could have bought 2 and 1/2 base Echos for my fully-loaded Jetta GLX.

Does anything on the Echos ever fall apart?
    No, apparently nothing falls apart. My 2001 Echo now has 72k miles and absolutely nothing has failed or been replaced.

Only regular oil changes, 1 drain and fill of ATF and coolant, respectively.

Tires are still 70% (Michelin), brakes are 60%.

Average MPG=41.9 (Automatic, AC)
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    Sure no maintenance problems with my Echo. I am up to 83k miles. I change oil every 6k miles and have never gotten more than half a quart low in between. Original brakes, clutch, battery, muffler, no need for changes except the tires. I did add coolant once, makes me think I should check that coolant level again.