Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• 719b719b Posts: 216
    http://www.carsdirect.com/research/compareresults?cat=all&aco- des=USB40SCC021A0,USB40TOC092A0
    this is a straight comparison of the echo and scion xb. the weight difference is less than 400 lbs, not 600 lbs. the ride should be a lot better also. the wheelbase is 5 inches longer and the still managed to make the scion almost a foot shorter than the echo.
    things like abs and traction control as standard equipment isn't "sickeningly sweet icing". all cars should offer such safety.
    if gas mileage is your main concern, i agree. the echo is a good buy. if you want safety, decent mileage, smoother ride, and a nice audio system, then the xb has the echo beat in every catagory...
    just an opinion.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    The car I looked at was the a not the b. While I thought the a just looked silly, the "styling" of the b is REALLY out of wack. (perhaps I shouldnt notice, driving an ECHO) I notice they dont publish a drag ratio for it. Not surprising under the circumstances. It was nice to see the ECHO came in at .29. Pretty good! Not only do I not need "safety" options like abs and tc, I dont want to pay to fix them in a few years either. (for the same reason I dont want pl and pw. A friend just paid $$$ to fix his Accords drivers window) But by all means if YOU dont feel safe without them then maybe Scion b is what you want.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    that's what makes this country so great... we can decide for ourselves what is important.
    yep, if drag coefficient is what you find important, the echo is the way to go.
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    You two had a good back and forth there. I am certainly of the kneisl persuasion as far as my wants in a car. But we are surely not a large enough segment to make the Echo sell well.
    True enough. Im wondering what the sales figures are for ECHO are recently? Are they selling more or less every year? I dread the day they cancel the ECHO.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    I feel that cancelling the Echo would be a mistake on Toyota's part. Yes, they have the Scion cars now, but not all dealers are going to sell the car and none of the three models are a sedan. A Toyota only dealer needs a low end sedan to sell and Toyota needs a model slotted below the Corolla so they can keep the Corolla more upmarket.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    I found a website that gave a rundown of sales figures for a number of cars. For 2003 (calendar year and not model year), Toyota sold around 26,000 Echos.

On the one hand pretty bad sales figures, but if you consider that there is virtually no advertising and no promotion going on, then you would have to say it is pretty good.
    OK, and do you know the sales figures for every year, starting in 2000? Im wondering if they go up or down? Maybe they will get better THIS year with gas selling for $2 a gallon and threatening to go higher.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    Echo sales have been terrible this year (they're down to like 500 a month), but my understanding is that it's because the capacity is being used to build Scions, which are selling above projections. So it's not so much a lack of demand for Echos but a surge of demand for Scions. I read an article about future Toyota models awhile ago, and they said that Toyota execs insist the Echo will not be cancelled for '05, so maybe they are planning to shift production or something. I don't think they would consider it worthwhile to keep making Echos if they could only build a few hundred per month.

-Andrew L
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Toyota needs to sell the Echo hatch in the US.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    I just checked the Toyota site. Here are the numbers for March 2,004:
        ECHO: 384
        Scion xA: 3,486
        Scion xB: 7,675

I didn't foresee the Scions having that much appeal. They must be doing something right.

Prior calendar year sales for ECHO:
        2003: 26,167
        2002: 30,859
        2001: 42,464
        2000: 48,876
        1999: 10,490 (introduction as '00 model in USA)
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Here in Canada the Echo continues to sell quite well: 2867 units in March.

Considering the population of Canada vs. that of the US, that would be about 28000 Echos sold per month (if consumers in the US would appreciate small and fuel efficient cars like we do).
    Perhaps the Japanese will see the Canadian and US markets as the same thing sales wise. Its pretty sobering to see only 384 ECHOs sold in a months time in the US. American Consumers need to have their asses kicked.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I don't think it is just a US/Canada difference. I think it is a US/world difference. Other than the US, everywhere else in the world small (even micro-cars) occupy a significant market share.
  • brad3brad3 Posts: 8
    has anyone heard if toyota is tinking about bringing the echo hatch to the u.s.? i'm sorta new to the echo, i've really just noticed the car as of late.i'm looking for a car to commute in to work, i've only read good things about the echo!! i like the newer sedan, but o=i prefer the look of the hatch. if anyone can help me with this question , i appreciate their help!!
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    My cousin and I were at 2 Toyota dealers this weekend and were both told you could not order an ECHO anymore. Too bad. No word on the hatchback.
    Niels
    Only in Canada can you get an ECHO hatchback. They dont sell them in the US and its unlikely they ever will. I think we're lucky to be able to buy the sedan!
  • brad3brad3 Posts: 8
    thanks for the replies, i really think the hatch would sale well here in the states!!the scions are ok, but i think the echo is better in more ways.maybe toyota will come out with a updated version of the echo, it seems like they need that size of car in their stock.has anyone heard if the honda jazz is coming to the states?thanks again!!
    The current craze in aftermarket accessories for cars is fitting larger rims and tires. The current issue of Car and Driver (or is it Road and Track) has an article about why this might not be a good idea to do this. Why this REALLY might not be a good idea. If youve done this or are thinking of doing it,you might want to read it.
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    Kneisl, can you talk some about your specific Echo experience? Brakes, clutch, engine, battery, tires, exhaust, electricals, fuel, body? Any problems, does your car still run strong? Do you go for any dealer servicing? How many miles so far?