Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• bpraticobpratico Posts: 23
    Check out the Honda Jazz/Fir which Honda is reportedly bringing to the U.S. for 2005.
  • stevengordonstevengordon Posts: 130
    To compete with the ECHO and Scion offerings? I thought I'd read that Honda was delaying the Jazz/Fit for another model year. I could be wrong, though.
    "Honda will bring a version of its micro-compact Fit to the United States as early as this year, according to Japan's Nihon Keizai business daily."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6806
    Nissan has also announced it will bring the Nissan "Cube" to the U.S. for 2005 as its entry-level vehicle. This will directly compete with the Echo hatchback (also Sion models) and the Honda Jazz. Most intriguing is the the fact that the Cube offers 4WD.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2002/021012tokyo-nissan/
    ...this onslaught of similarly-sized pretenders to the crown?

I really wish Honda or Toyota could make a hatchback at the size of the Civic or Corolla, that was utilitarian, lacked all of the brushed chrome accents and irridescent lighting. Just make it a practical vehicle, an "SUV for the rest of us."

BTW: thanks for the links for the Cube and Jazz/Fit.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    I really wish Honda or Toyota could make a hatchback at the size of the Civic or Corolla,...

How about the base Matrix? Tons of space, good passenger room, Toyota quality.
    I'm dubious about the thinning side windows from front to back. Not sure if my kids would find it claustrophobic. And the glitzy gauges bug me...but I can get over it.

I thought the Matrix had a (comparatively) weak engine...

Guess I'll have to try it out with the family.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    Ive driven a Matrix and it drives like a truck. I wasnt impressed with the power availible from the engine either. The daskboard can only be described as juvenile. REALLY tacky. The Prius has a very nice high quality yet understated dash and interior. The new ECHOs have all kinds of stuff going on on the exterior like bulges and badges like they were trying to make it more sophisticated looking. Making a purse out of a sows ear is the expression. I just finished up my first bottle of Nu Finish car wax on the ECHO after nearlt three and a hald years. Its so small it only takes about 15 minutes to wax it too.
    i just read on the NYC Online that the average car sold in the us (including trucks) weighs more than 4000 pounds! Man are we going in the wrong direction.
  • fuelmiserfuelmiser Posts: 26
    odman (#4322) I am curious about this. I am planning to go up the the Niagara area and buy an Echo hatchback in Canada and bring it back. I have looked into the process and it does not seem to be so difficult. Did I miss something?
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    I haven't looked into it carefully yet so I can't really advise you on importing into the States, but others have (take a look at the Echo Canadian Model thread or do a general search in the Echo section or in Edmunds more generally). If you buy used it will be a lot easier. On the www.trader.ca website I saw a blue Echo HB model with a 5-speed for CAN$12,000 -- that's $8k or so in real US dollars!

In border towns there are brokers who will take care of importing and making the changes necessary to make the cars comply with US standards. There aren't many to worry about since Canadian standards are harmonized with US standards(switching the odometer is the big one). I would call a few of those first and ask them some questions about process, fees and pitfalls. Having warranty coverage is a big one, but again, on a used car it is not the same thing as a new one. Also, although it is a hatch, it is based on common Echo components, so most US Toyota dealers can fix them. Since the Echo hatch is selling extremely well in Canada, importing hatch parts won't be a big deal either.
    I was just reading Edmunds long term test on the Prius. What do you think the numbers were for their overall mileage after 5000 miles? 50 mpg? 60 mpg? 70 mpg? NO! That stupid car got 40.8 mpg! Have IQs dropped sharply in this country or what? Why on earth would any body BUY this car? Now that its summer my ECHO is getting at least that mileage just driving six miles to work.
    Why do you continually bash the Prius, on a board devoted to the ECHO? It's not like anyone is forcing you to buy a Prius. You like the ECHO, other people like the Prius (and are getting way better than 40.8 mpg BTW)--why all the fuss?
    The Prius is an engineering abortion. It is not cost effective. It gets 15% more mileage than my ECHO but costs 75% more. Yet people buy them so manufacturers will make them and force the rest of us to buy them also. We need to be driving fuel efficient cars. The bill for our foolishness in wasting energy and resources is on its way. Its going to be painfull when it arrives. But solutions like the Prius are not the answer.
    Please name another midsized car that averages at least 40 mpg. For a car of its size, the Prius is VERY fuel efficient.

And no one is forcing people to buy anything they don't want to buy. If they wanted to buy ECHOes, they would demand them and Toyota would make more of them. It's a free enterprise system.
    Thats the point. People arent buying a car like an ECHO nor are they demanding them. 40 years ago VW came out with the Beetle, a car that was several orders of magnitude weirder than the ECHO. There was a lot of pressure then to buy American. Yet people came to understand that this was a good, reliable, and cheap form of transportation and VW sold millions of them. Today people are brainwashed into thinking they need a car with 17 inch wheels and 300 horsepower. Just read Edmunds comments about the cars they test. Very few people are taking advantage of the ECHO, the VW Beetle of its day.
    If you're blaming Prius owners for that, I think you're pointing the finger in the wrong place. Someone who buys a $20-26,000 midsized car isn't likely to cross-shop an ECHO. Look elsewhere if you want to see where erstwhile ECHO buyers went. And blame Toyota for its out-of-the-mainstream styling of the ECHO and its lack of marketing support. Not to mention its failure to bring more than the sedan to the U.S.
    Very few people want a car like ECHO no matter what it looks like. Even if it was imported with a diesel and a hatch, there wouldnt be many more customers. I think Toyota doest spend much promoting ECHO because they have done surveys and know the numbers just arent out there. Im grateful Toyota has kept the ECHO on as long as it has. They say it will be around next year too.
    With gas way over $2 a gallon in many places, maybe next year will be the year of the ECHO.
    The scary part is the consumer just doesnt get it. Back in the 70s small cars were flying off the shelves with high gas prices. Edmunds comments about ECHO in its evaluation are probably reflective of most peoples views...ECHO is something you scrape off your shoe. Cetainly its looks havnt helped, but no one held that against the beetle. They just recognized value. I havnt seen that happen yet with ECHO.