Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    Glad to hear it worked out and you are happy. Interesting post and gives us something to think about if we have the same problem!
  • romigromig Posts: 11
    I drove from PA to Florida 2200 miles round trip and the Echo worked like a dream. I hit 100 mph a few times and it would have went over but I thought I might strain the Engine.. I was in a speed trap doing 90 in a 70 mph zone I looked throughh my rear view mirror and saw a patrol car pull out I thought he was chasing me but for some reason he backed off or chased someone else.. While doing 90 a white Echo passed me flying. I also seen a green Echo which I never seen before
    Id like to see a Hyundai top that!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    According to Car magazine (just happended to buy one today), top speed of the Accent is 118, and 128 for the Elantra. They don't have the ECHO in that mag (UK publication), but the Yaris with the 1.5L engine is rated at 118 mph.
    No I want to see someone in a Hyundai actually GO that fast, not READ about it in a magazine. I have been to 106 in my ECHO getting around a left lane blocker on the NJTP who sped up whenever anyone tried to pass him. He was driving a Saab which several others tried to pass but couldnt hang with him. I just left my foot on the floor until I passed him. When I looked at the speedo it read 106. It didnt feel terribly uncomfortable either.
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    Kneisl, I have never taken my Echo up to 100, I am supposing you are in 4th gear, not 5th, or are you driving an automatic. Also, there is supposed to be some limiting device on speed, isnt there? What does it do, and what does one experience if it kicks in? Also, what is the experience if the rev limiter kicks in at 6300 or wherever it is supposed to appear?
    I have a manual transmission and I was in fifth gear. I dont know anything about a limiter or how it works. If you ask me if there IS a limiter, it shouldnt let you drive the car over 100 mph. I also have no idea how fast an ECHO revs at redline but 6300 sounds about right. Normally I never exceed 45 mph. But by all means if you can find a secure place, take the ECHO to the ton. With all the talk about how lousy the suspension is, I think youll be suprised at how much control there is.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Could be a probelm in seeing a Hyundai dust an ECHO: maybe Hyundai drivers aren't the scofflaws that ECHO drivers are. :-P
    Yeah we're a pretty wild bunch all right.
    According to an article in the NY Times, Toyota is discontimueing the Celica and MR2. No mention is made of the ECHO being discontinued, although its getting harder to find new ones for sale. They also repeat what I have read elsewhere that the Scions are on the bottom of the JD Power list of initial quality. However, they say its not necessarily because of DEFECTS, people just arent happy with the design of the car or something. They also report problems selling the Scion because only 2/3 of Toyota dealerships have signed up to sell the car. The car appears to be unwanted at some dealers because it costs nearly half of more expensive Toyotas like the trucks and Camrys. The dealers would rather sell them and make more money. I suspect that is the same thing that happened to the ECHO.
  • romigromig Posts: 11
    Not all Toyota Dealers sell the Scion because the Scion is a separate Franchise and not all dealers have this Franchise, What car will be sold to replace the Scion with these dealers? The ECHO or the Yaris?
    Yes the Diesel Hatchabck Yaris! Oh please please please please please!
  • barry42barry42 Posts: 64
    I read somewhere that this is the last year for the ECHO/Yaris -- Does anyone know what will replace it ??

Barry42
    The nimble handling of my ECHO has demonstrated itself yet again. I was being tailgated by an SUV on the way to work yesterday. I was on a four lane highway going about 45 in the right middle lane. This lady was so close I couldnt see her bumper in my rearview mirror. A car darted out into traffic from one of the gas stations along the road, right into the path of the car in front of me, which rear ended it. I didn have time to look side to side I just cranked that wheel left and then right as I went around the accident on what seemed like two wheels. I was lucky not to have rolled over. The SUV behind me plowed right into the two cars. She probably couldnt see the car pull out, and I didnt even touch my brakes so she didnt have any warning at all. Luckily no one was killed or even seriously injured. How many times have we heard about the ECHOs "skinny' tires and how poorly it handles? Im telling you that is a complete myth! I seriously doubt many other cars could have turned as quickly and as surely as my ECHO did.
  • I was on the tollway last week, getting ready to go through a toll when I noticed two cars catching up with me really quickly. I've got I-Pass so I can go through a special lane (speed limit through there is suppossed to be 30mph), but I went through at 50, and glanced back to see that the two cars had already caught up to me - but they didn't have I-Pass so they had to stop for the toll & throw change. One car was a white Talon, the other was a White Mitsubishi 3000GT. I had a feeling these guys were racing, so I was flooring my little Echo. The guys paid their tolls, floored their cars and passed me like I was standing still. I had my Echo floored when I went through the I-Pass lane. When they zoomed by me - I was doing about 70 in 5th gear. Their cars were tricked out with the neon lights underneath - custom purple tailights, the nean light around the license plate - all that crap. I figured if anyone was going to get a ticket it was going to be them so I just kept the pedal to the floor. I got going 105mph, but the other guys were going so fast I lost sight of them. After awhile I fear that they may have exited the tollway. I'd be my luck that they would get off the tollway - but I'd keep going at 105mph and drive right by a cop sitting radar.

I may have had the car doing 106 or 107mph, but that little engine was giving out a pretty high-pitched Weeeeeeeeeeeeee sound, and it was really loud. So anyway after a while I slowed down and started doing 60.
    When you get that engine up to its redline that sucker is really hummin'.
  • This is a link to an Echo hatchback commercial: http://www.ihaveanidea.org/spots/entries/00000069.htm

I'm sure the Canadian posters here have seen it, so this is for those of us in the USA who haven't.
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    I think I may have blown my driver side front speaker, has anyone taken the door panel off themselves to replace the speaker? I feel that Im going to have to take it to best buy etc. and have them do it, but just wondered if it was a big job?
  • My sister recently had the warning light come on in her 2002 Echo which, according to the manual, meant she was to take her car in to the dealer. When she went to the dealer, they did the diagnostic test and said the error was for the idle control valve. They appeared confused, changed her battery (which they said was low), and lo and behold, the warning light disappeared. That was 2 days ago. Today she drove her car to work, everything was fine, but after work when she stared Echo up again, the same warning light came on. Toyota won't be able to see her for 2 more weeks, according to them, it's safe to drive. Is anyone here familiar with this problem?
    Im assuming you mean the check engine light came on. Generally speaking, this light comes on when something is going wrong with things that affect the emissions the vehicle is putting out. It rarely has anything to do with something that will hurt the engine if you keep driving although it might stall or run rough (but usually not) Its possible there is something really wrong with the idle control valve and the techs just blew the call. But if you bring it back they should get it right sooner or later. Im thinking the car is safe to drive, but you want this fixed while its under warranty.