Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    I just read a survey of echo owners in PM. Out of a thousand owners, 62% were female 25% male with the rest being owned jointly.
  • Interesting stat that more Echo owners are female than male. I do not want to jump to the wrong conclusion (for example, that the Echo is a Chick car). The stat says "owners" and not "drivers" but I assume if the owner is female then the car is driven mostly by that female. Did the article break it down according to age? Did they said what percent is first time buyers? Did the article say which make/model is driven mostly by women? By men?
  • Hello, I'm currently experiencing a similar problem that you encountered with your Echo. My 2001 Echo requires a new alternator, I had noticed the increased engine noise and had a couple of "experienced mechanic ears" take a listen to it and they advised I would need to eventually replace the alternator. The indication at the time was that it was not a urgent issue, but one that would have to be looked at soon. My problem was that I was going back to the States (I'm currently stationed in the UK) for the Holidays and thought I could address this issue when I returned from my trip. Needless to say, I recently received the "check battery" indication on my instrument panel. I'm hesitant to drive the vehicle to avoid possibly getting stuck on the side of the road and calling a tow truck to return me home (the exchange rate is crazy at the moment, 2 dollars for 1 British Pound). I would like to find out if you purchased your alternator online, and if so, where were you able to locate the alternator part number? I've looked through my owner's manual and I can't seem to find it. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Carlos.
    I did a google search for "toyota ECHO" and just was reading all the reviews for it when I came across what I believe was the Popular Mechanics or Popular Science article. Yes they have all the demographics and about two feet worth of screen statistics. I remember most buyers were about 40 something and the car TOTALLY missed its intended market.
    Its www.popularmechanics.com. Click on car reviews and find the one for ECHO.
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Posts: 112
    Solrac2k, I don't think I have anything of substance that will help. My mechanic looked very closely with mirror and all to get the numbers as best he could off of my alternator. Then he phoned a foreign cars supply source and they found the replacement alternatives on the US west coast. So an alternator was flown in and installed in just a few days. But then I am told that the noise is still there, and out went the new alternator and a water pump has been ordered and will be installed next week. The noise has been progressing slowly, but still we use the car some and it is not an alarming sound yet. By the way, no expense for me due to the wrong diagnosis, these people are good ones. Sorry i did not get back to you sooner, these are busy days for many of us.
  • On this special day I just wanted to Echo all over the world the appreciation for all our blessings.
  • Any more news about the ECHO hatchback coming to the U.S. in 06?
  • Hi Mike,

I have a 2003 Echo with 22,000 miles. It also has the same problem as you described in this forum. Have you fixed the problem? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Allen
  • I bought my 2003 Echo on September 4, 2004. It had been a leased car and had 8800 miles on it when I purchased it for $13,800, specifially for my courier route. I paid the Toyota dealer $600 to add cruise control, installed about 2 weeks after I purchased the car. This dropped the gas mileage from 39 mpg to about 35 mpg (worth the loss in my opinion). I am a courier with a 5-day per week bank run. I drive a total of 240+ miles each day, mostly interstate driving. It's an automatic with AC. My Echo now has 122,000 miles on it and I have had no problems. I have only changed the oil (every 3000 miles), rotated the tires at 5-6k miles, the air filter, and flushed the trans at 100,000 miles. The first set of tires lasted to 65k miles.

Much of my daily route being interstate, I do a lot of 80-90 mph driving for consistently long intervals. I am amazed at the handling, ride, and agility of this car, especially in Atlanta traffic. How many cars will effectively kick in to passing gear at 90mph?

My only complaint is that the standard AM/FM radio does not sport a digital clock, and there are only two wiper speeds, slow and a little faster. Intemittent speeds would be nice.

The car being under 2000 lbs has amazing pickup speed. Hopefully, my Echo will last to at least 500,000 miles, which is about when I will have it paid off. If I continue in the courier business, I will likely buy another Echo.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I am curious... why would adding cruise control drop the mpg so much?
  • Received the following email today from my brother:

"I read Toyota is deleting the Echo. Yours may be valuable some day."
    Its availible for 2005, however I couldnt buy one at either of my local NJ toyota dealers who also sell the Scion. Whether or not it will continue to be availible in 2006 is a good question. I think were lucky it wasnt discontinued in 2005.
    The following is from a survey of ECHO owners done by Popular Machanics

Age of Owners

under 30 21%

30-49 48%

50 + 30%
    How Do You Like The paint Quality?

excellent 65%

good 29%

fair 4%

poor 1 %
    How would you rate the engine performance?

excellent 36%

good 51%

fair 11%

poor 1%
  • carglowcarglow Posts: 91
    Yeah ... cruise control should INCREASE your mpg.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    It's possible for an attentive person to use less gas than the cruise control when driving in hilly terrain. A person can anticipate the crest of a hill and let off the gas to coast down the other side, while cruise control may keep the accelerator depressed a long way down the hill. Cruise control can also leave an auto tranny downshifted (raising the revs) longer than necessary.
    Body Fit and Finish

excellent 64%

good 32%

fair 2%

poor 1%
    Well the blush is off the rose, I had an accident in my ECHO. On my way to work the road was slick on the city streets after 2 or so inches of snow, Passing the post office a car pulled out in front of me on my right. I turned the wheel to the left to change lanes and went into a skid. I just kept going to the left in a skid all the way across the road until I hit the curb at about a 45 degree angle and came to a stop. The hit was right in the middle of the left front wheel as you can see from the hubcap. At this point doesnt eem to be any dammage to the rim. You can still go 70 mph with no vibrations. The car still goes in a straight line. But the steering wheel doesnt self center after a turn and when you go straight ahead it now is turned to the left. Its a wrench because this car steered so perfectly and precisely.