Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    First thing: has the maintenance been done? Air filter, sparkplugs, oil change, correct tire pressure? If you have an auto are you sure its in DRIVE? How did you check the mileage? You should fill the car with gas, 0 the tripmeter. Then when you fill it again, note the mileage and divide by the number of gallons you put in. After doing these things, you might have the car checked for fault codes at the dealer. Theyll hook it up to the computer and analyze the engine etc. If everything checks out consider how you drive. If its cold out, if you drive fast, if you drive in the city, youll get less mpg. But 28 seems pretty low even for that. I would check out the maintenance, the tire pressure, and make sure youre putting it in DRIVE and not 1 or 2 etc. Tell us what you find out!
    You buy an automatic transmission if you have to drive in heavy stop and go traffic frequently. Or if you physically cant shift a manual. A manual tranmission gives you better control of the car in winter driving and even in the rain or on dry pavement. It will brake the car for you whereas an auto wont as much. A manual transmission lasts longer than an automatic. If its not abused and the oil is changed, it can last forever. An automatic will definately blow at some point no matter how carefull you are with it. Unless you do a lot of freeway driving then it wont. From what Ive read on this forum, the ECHO definately gets better mpg with the manual than the auto. A manual however as a clutch and unless you are carefull that will need to be changed at times. And if your bad it at that could be frequently!
  • pesterkidpesterkid Posts: 17
    Hey there,
    We got a complete maintenance done right after we got it from the dealer.
    The maintenance guy did tell us the oil changes had not been regular in the past.
    It is in drive, we doublechecked that right before we started driving.
    Tire pressure, good!
    I was wondering if maybe it might take one tank to just get into shape, the dealer did say it was with him for a month or so...and dont know how much the other owner drove it....do you think the car not not having been driven much over the past few months could affect mileage?
    I will take it back to the mechanic and see if he might figure something out.
    Thanks.
    If all of the things i mentioned above have been done or checked, thats all I know to do. It seems to me it shouldnt matter if the car has been sitting. But if you have a dirty airfilter, sparkplugs, etc that would be a cause. If you do find another cause lets us know. Good luck!
  • reba05reba05 Posts: 36
    I did have a factory CD player - but to only install new speakers, I felt the output of the factory product wouldn't have been up to par with the speakers. When you are paying so little for a car, why not splurge a bit?
    The little I spent on my ECHO lets me afford the motorcycle of my choice.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Hey kneisl1, I did the same. Bought a beautiful 2004 Suzuki DL650. Has all the acceleration and speed I could possibly need!
    Is that the Vstrom or os that the dual sport?
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    That is the small V-Strom. An incredibly versatile motorcycle.

The sun is out today so I will go on a ride this afternoon. Mileage while riding two up is 58 mpg. Amazing.
  • ldlopezldlopez Posts: 13
    I've found lots of auto/ac Echo's but
    very very few 5 Speed Manual Echo's.

Should I just get an automatic transmission
    one (yuck) ?

After living with a '86 Toyota w/o air
    I'm really not up to it.
    Well if you get an automatic it will make your car easier to sell and youll probably get more money for it, should that becaome necessary. Really, the criterion for getting an auto is will you be driving in heavy traffic frequently? A manual can be very tiring under those circumstances. Aslo, it might be an issue you cant physically drive a manual as I found out when I had neck surgury and had to drive my wifes car until I healed up. A manual IS better in snow and gives you more control of the car going downhill etc. Your call!
    I had to recently sell my Yamaha FZ1 because of my neck and back issues. The 650 V Strom was high on my lis, but I decided to go with a Honda Shadow Saber which is a cruiser type of motorcycle. The V Strom is definately more veristile and i miss have that type of MC. Can I borrow yours once in a while?
  • ldlopezldlopez Posts: 13
    What is the real world MPG of an AT vs
    a 5 Speed.

I'm about 106 miles per day, 60 is at 80 MPH
    40 is at 40 MPH.
    Not that much. My manual gets 40+ mpg when I drive it 100+ miles on the freeway at speeds near 80 mph. Around town for short distances at speeds never over 45 mph it gets 40 in the summer and 36-38 in the winter. I think an automatic will come close to the highway figures, but it might do worse around town. Put it this way, if it gets 35 mpg and a manual gets 40 mpg, over 100k miles @ $2 per gallon the manual will go through $5000 of gas and the auto will consume $5700.
  • gregzgregz Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 echo 2 door. i want to install an aftermarket tachometer. can anyone help?
  • bryanwbryanw Posts: 12
    I've had my 2005 echo for 6 weeks now and am sure it was the right choice.
    It's interesting the weird comments I have received from friends and co-workers about this car. Many consider it to be a piece of junk or ridiculously small. Some have wondered why I didn't spend more and get something better like a Ford or GM that is heavily discounted with incentives.
    Then there are those who think it's a great choice and would consider an echo for their next vehicle. They usually own a Toyota or Honda already.
    Be sure to ask your friends how they like their gas guzzleing American cars when gas hits $3 a gallon this summer.
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    GM and Ford are losing market share to Toyota and Honda. And the Japanese companies are smartly challenging the highly profitable truck sales that GM and Ford have dominated for years. A now deceased relative would not buy a car from Toyota or Honda for 30 years after he fought in the Pacific during WWII. Then he test drove a Toyota and looked at the ratings in CR magazine. He was impressed that Toyotas had fewer problems even after 3 years than GM or Ford vehicles. He never purchased from GM or Ford again. The Big Three better get better or they will see their market share in the states slide even more. A mechanic told me that the ECHO is one tough machine and would still perform well even after major abuse. Perhaps the goal of the American car makers should be to have mechanics say that about their products too.
    I would buy American. But there is no comparable car like the ECHO made by US manufacturers. Also, I have been laid off twice by major American companies. When times got tough they solved their problem by showing me the door. Ask me if I feel guilty about buying Japanese.
  • rodvcrodvc Posts: 5
    Dear All, Greetings. I am English & when I moved over here I was forced to buy a car - so I gladly went for the Echo as it was one of the smallest & most European styles I cld get.
    My question is - can anyone help me in obtaining a basic maintenance manual for the car ( 01 2 Door manual 35k on the clock) - I have called Toyota & they quoted $117 to me . I am no expert & simply want to learn the basics ( waiting 4 hours for an oil change last Monday was the straw that broke the camels back ) - Thanks for any help in this area
  • bryanwbryanw Posts: 12
    Domestic vs import labels don't even make sense anymore. Toyota has a plant in Cambridge, Ontario which builds models for the Canadian market. They have to be at least 60% Canadian content to escape import tarrifs. The Corolla built in Ontario is over 90% homegrown yet my brother's Pontiac Sunfire is made in Mexico and my dad's Grand Am has an engine made in China.
    One of my co-workers was shocked to find her Chevrolet Optra is Korean built even though the dealer pushed buying GM vs the import "junk".
    I think one of the biggest problems with the big 3 is too many models and divisions with too much overhead which forces them to cut costs by building engines,parts and cars in low labour countries.