Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    Did you try the number of the yard I posted for the switch? And they didnt have it?
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    I did and the guy couldn't tell me whether what he had was a variable spd or just standard intermittent wiper switch. He said he'd call me back but never did, so I just called around to local salvage yards here in Houston. I got the Matrix switch for 50 bucks and put it on in their parking lot so I'm more than content.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Thanks dake for that valuable information and the excellent photos. I guess we will wait and see if the new 2009 Corolla switch will work for those of us with a Yaris.
    I've got an '08 Camry Wiper switch on order, so we'll see if that works. Stay tuned!
  • I saw on tv where the new pint size Smart car will get around 36 mpg. This seems low considering my ECHO did better even with a larger engine, auto tran, room for four, etc.

Seems to me that the ECHO is Smarter.
    Agreed. Also this so called smart car also has a lot of qc issues from what Ive been reading. But never underestimate the stupidity of the public. Look how theyve taken to the fraud that is the Prius.
    I would love to have a little mini car like the Smart Car. But it would have to get 60 mpg and be reliable. Right now the best thing out there is the ECHO. The Yaris is about as good but is going in the direction of the Civic.
    Well, I know your post borders on flame bait ;) - but it's semi-entertaining at least. I assume you consider the Prius a fraud b/c of the gas mileage issue? Never mind that the original figures would prove far more accurate if you lived in a metropolis like Tokyo and never got above 35 mph. So, thanks to our open roads and long commutes, you still get better gas mileage than anything comparable, with more room and a good ride.

I love my Echo, and I think the Yaris took everything that was good about the Echo and made it better with the one exception of removing some of the storage cubbies on the sedan for some reason. But I have to say, if I could've afforded it, I'd have bought a Prius.
    No I never troll its just my considered opinion. And thankyou I do try to entertain just a little. The Prius has almost the same gas engine as the ECHO. It costs about $10,000 (at least) more than an ECHO and over 100,000 miles it will save about $2000 worth of gas compared to the ECHO. Not a viable economic proposition. My brother had I believe a 1983 Renault Alliance which consistantly averaged 50 mpg with a 1.3 liter engine. So all you need to get Prius numbers is a lighter car with a smaller engine. The argument that a Prius has fewer emissions cuts no ice because ANY car could be equiped with the emission control a Prius has and give the exact same emissions.
    I read an engineering anaysis of the Prius which claimed all its gizmos at most represent an increase in efficiency of 5%. My brother is a chemical engineer and he says thats about right. When the German car industry did a study of the Prius they were astounded anyone took this car seriously. A similiar sized Diesel engine has about the same efficiency (although not the emissions)
    I know a lot of well intentioned people admire the Prius and Im sure I appear to be insensitive at least. But its really about as effective as those magnetic devices unscrupulous people sell to increase mileage.
    I like the Yaris and if my ECHO was somehow destroyed I would probably buy one. But I see the Yaris as a step in the wrong direction because it is heavier than the ECHO. Its like what Honda did with the Civic, taking a fuel efficient vehicle and turning it into a bloated version of itself. How horrible if they have deleted the cubby holes!
    I think you have done wonderfully well for yourself to be driving an ECHO rather than a Prius.
    I guess you dont believe a word I am saying?
    Heh heh, no I don't find anything you say to be too far fetched. From what I've read the Insight was actually better than the Prius, but what it had in efficiency it lacked in execution and style. And yeah, until they do something about the particulate matter, diesels just aren't in the running, emissions wise.

That being said, the only way anything gets made in today's world is if there's money in it. So, now that the Prius has done well as a commercial endeavor it's encouraged everyone to make something better. For that alone I think the Prius is a success - if not for what it does, then for what it's making the other automakers do. If in the meantime a few people consume a little less gas, that's ok too. :)
    What a shame we just cant get on with it and make cars with 1.5 liters max like the ECHO. I would love a one liter ECHO if it weighted 1500 lbs.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    is a pretty good proposition for a whole bunch of people, but not for those that want a no-frills car. Think of the Prius as an Echo 5-door with luxury amenities and proper room for 4 full-size adults. Actually, that's not really an appropriate comparison because the Prius has so much more interior space. The closest 5-door out there today is Toyota's own Matrix, and with approximately the same acceleration times as the Echo, the Matrix only manages to pull low 30s in mpg. So the Prius, consistently pulling mid 40s for most owners, offers a vehicle with 30% savings in gas and a number of extra luxury features for maybe $4000 more than a comparably sized car.

Why would one even compare Echo and Prius? Because they are the respective fuel economy leaders in gas and hybrid cars? Not enough of a reason - the Prius is in a completely different class of size and features.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

They said they made it to get superior gas mileage so that is how I judge it. Yes the interior is nice, elegant and understated.
  • Hi guys please let me have your input on the check engine light that just came on.

Car is manual 2000 w/ 69,000mi

1. It came on while driving (actually watched it come on).

2. If it is relevant, it also came on while I had been driving a while with the gas warning light flashing (maybe 10 miles). Owners manual says the light can come on when totally out of gas (it wasn't--only took ten gallons). Maybe this triggered it (?), but would it reset or not after fill up? (It did not.)

3. Everything runs/sounds great as far as I can tell.

If I recall there is an autostore that will read code for free? If so, do you know it?

Also, if I get it looked at, do I need to go to a dealer, or can any mechanic check it?

Thanks for your help.
    Autozone will read the code for free. I have what the codes mean in the service manual. Check that your gas cap gasket is good a common problem. (it might be torn or distorted)
    I believe you can disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and that will reset the computer. If the light comes on again then theres a problem.
    Possible the low gas situation caused something but lots of people run their cars like that. (dumb on several levels)
    Good luck and please report back!
  • Thanks. Those're all good tips. Fortunately I don't have to go in to work tomorrow so I will try all of the above and get back to you.
  • Autozone read the code as p 0171 which meant lean fuel mixture. They thought in all probability this had to do with the low gas level in the car when the light came on (guess I'll fill up at 1/4 tank from now on) and that once reset, if it didnt come back on, things should be fine. Otherwise it would be the O2 sensor. Fortunately, the light has not come back on--let's hope it stays that way. Thanks again kneisl1.
    Hopefully its out for good and it does sound plausible the low gas level was the reason. But give it time! It may come on again. Not to worry we will fix it.
    Its not a good idea to run your car so far out of gas the fuel light comes on because:

1) When it gets that low if there is any sediment/water in the tank that crud might get sucked into the system.
    2) The fuel pump is in the tank and it runs cooler/longer if submerged in gas.
    3) You are BEGGING the car to run out of gas. If that happens it might be very difficult to start it when you do put some gas in there.
    Alrighty, I'll post this over on the Yaris forum too, but for those who are curious, the '08 Camry switch works in the Yaris! So, my wife is now the proud owner of one of the only Yaris with variable speed intermittent wipers!

I had a buddy at the dealer who ordered it in for me, it's regularly 150 bucks, but I got his shop price on it, so that was nice. They're a huge dealer, but they still had to get the part from Japan, since it's so new. Works and looks great though.
    Oh, and the part # is 84652-47031 Switch, Windshield
    Thought I burned out my wiper motor last night. Ice was forecast so I parked my wipers vertically to make it easier to get them unstuck from the windshield. Problem was when I came out to the car there was two inches of ice at the base of the wipers! So when I turned on the ignition the wipers tried to park themselves only they couldnt move. It was all I could do to get a 12 inch hole in the ice I could see out of so I could drive home. All the way home the wipers were trying to park. Half an hour of driving didnt put a dent in the ice. But this morning the ice was all gone (heavy rain) and the wipers worked. Hurray! I consulted the Service Manual for how to replace the motor. (it doesnt show you!) Next time that happens I will just remove the fuse!