Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    It wont hurt the engine. It will thicken the oil and maybe inhibit starting in cold weather. Its expensive too. If the engine is using a quart of oil in 3000 miles that is no big deal. I would just keep an eye on the oil level and add oil as necessary. Using cd2 might help also. As long as the car runs and is reliable its OK to feed its habit. 200k miles and still running is great!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I am having to resist the temptation again....I just discovered that side airbags and curtains and ABS are now standard on Yaris as of 2009. The little stick shift 3-door with the power package (including 15" rims with 185/60 tires, CD stereo, A/C, etc) stickers for just $14,5 and there is currently a $1000 rebate......so $13,5, and it has the same sweet little 1.5 as Echo under the hood, and makes within a hair of the same gas mileage as Echo did, with a weight gain of only 200 pounds. And the interior of the hatchback model is pretty darn nice. :-/

OTOH my Echo has just sailed on past 115K miles with nary a flicker or a flash, and I have yet to repair ANYTHING on this car. I bet it has at least 2 more years (about 35K miles, as much as I drive) in it of totally trouble-free operation. I can't trade now, can I???

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I got a price of $14k out the door tax and everything on a base Yaris with automatic transmission. That deal was good until the end of December. But I went with a used 2004 ECHO with auto (pretty base model no fold down rear seats or rr defroster, no 3 in 1 stereo) for $5995 with 50k miles on it. Less than half the cost and it will be more than 8 MORE years before it sees 100k miles...
    Considering a Civic is $20k now by the time you write the check/sign the papers $13.5k is a STEAL!

Keep the "old" ECHO as a spare and get a new Yaris and have it all!
    Problem is, still no cruise at that price, and I use the cruise all the time in the Echo. And I suppose if I am getting power locks, I would like keyless entry too. So now we're probably back to $14,250 sticker after the rebate. I think I can talk myself out of it! ;-)

Can't buy the Yaris without selling the Echo, we only have two parking spots for our cars, not to mention I am still paying on the other car. So I think I will hold off. The current Yaris should still be around for at least another 18 months. I don't know what they will do with it for model year 2011.

Well thats definately got you on the road to spending the least ammount of money for transportation. I suspect your ECHO will hold up much longer than another 15k miles. Consider this also: even dropping a couple thou into it at that point by keeping it you reduce your overall transportation expences even further.
    Im waiting for them to drop the 1.8 liter Corolla engine into the Yaris at some point. That will be a sorry day.
    On the other had Im hearing about a new SMALLER than the ECHO Toyota which isnt scheduled to make it to the US but might anyway. Unfortunately it will have the 1.5 liter ECHO engine instead of an everywhere else 1 liter. It still weighs in at 1900 plus pounds though. Dollar for dollar and gallon for gallon its pretty hard to improve on the ECHO!
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    Is that the Aigo?

I personally want a hybrid power train in the Yaris. The Prius is really a pretty large car, and I think that power train could do wonders in something smaller. I'd give up some trunk space for the power pack.
    Its called the iQ. Even with just the 1.5 liter ECHO I hear its gonna be $17,500. Prolly pushing $30k with a Prius setup. The weight would most likely be the same Prius or Yaris. Is it worth $12k to save $2k worth of gas over the cars lifetime?
    looks pretty cool, and just the right size for me, not much larger than a Smart car, but with that crucial third seat. And at 1900 pounds, with the Echo's 1.5, it will be downright spry! :-)

And it will have a nicer interior and more features than the Echo, which is part of the reason for the $17,5 price tag, although I suspect they will offer a stripper version for more like $15K. Which might be just my speed. And I bet they can boost fuel economy into the mid-40s, what with the reduced weight and Echo's ability with decade-old tech to produce 40 mpg consistently. I am still wondering if the iQ can make it to the States in such a bad economy though...

hey kneisl1, you can have a Yaris with the Corolla 1.8 right now, it's called the Scion xD!

No no make it go AWAY!
    Don't like the xD? I think it's OK in its own chunky way. I wouldn't buy one though.

Engines should be getting smaller not bigger!
    But wasn't it you who just said he would like to see the Yaris with the Corolla 1.8?!

Yes but I meant it would be a horrible thing to do....
    Oh. Well I'm looking forward to the introduction of the 1.3L engine for the base Yaris model. I'm sure in traditional Toyota manner it will be a trim with practically no options available, but it should also be very inexpensive and get really great fuel economy.

Of course that was the rumored plan when the iQ was also set to come to the U.S., and I wonder if both plans aren't on hold now with the recession.

Have you herd they are bringing the 1.3 liter engine to the US for real?
    Well, someone in Toyota PR DID say it, but that was last fall, before everything really badly went BOOM.

As a plan it makes sense, in order to take on the new $9995 base model Versa.

• Hi, I have a 2000 echo that has been giving me a lot of headaches. I am not sure if this is the right forum. If not, please re-direct me. Any way here is my problem:
    My check engine light came on a while back. Went to the dealer. He diagnosed the problem to the O2 sensor. Had that replaced - no luck. Dealer suggested replacing the second O2 sensor. Had that replaced - still no luck. Had a mechanic, check and clean the complete ignition system, checked fuel pump pressure (looks good - but am told by the dealer that this could be the problem). Continue to get a 0171 error. The pump is very expensive, will change if no other options. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Service manual faults for 0171:

Air induction system (dirty air filter?)
    injector blocked
    mass air flow meter
    engine coolant temp sensor
    fuel pressure (which they say is OK)
    gas leakage on exhaust system'
    open or short in oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor1)circuit (this would be the wiring)
    sensor itself O2.

I strongly doubt the pump is to blame if the pressure is good. That would be the last thing I would change. You might check the fump and filter for blockage/debris. How is the engine running?
  • rcp21771rcp21771 Posts: 13
    Greetings all,
    My 2001 Echo has an issue with the driver side window. When I roll the window up, it appears to be slipping as it is being rolled up and barely closes. When I push up on the window with my hand it will close tightly.
    Has anybody else encountered this issue? Any ideas on how to fix it? Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • sahara18sahara18 Posts: 2
    Hey Rob,
    I have a 2000 Echo and I had this very same issue last fall around Labor Day. All I needed was to replace the bolt(s) inside the door that allows your manual crank to connect with the window regulator. I took it to the dealer. It took about an hour and a half because they do have to take the door apart. You may want to go to a dealership because most other shops won't have the part on hand. Should be fairly cheap, I think I paid less than $30 for the part itself.