Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
  • There is indeed a cabin filter in the 2oo1 Toyota Echo. When I bought my car, I asked the service department to install one. They told me the 2001s didn't have one.

After my car was off warrenty, I started taking it to another business for servicing and they asked me if I wanted one installed, since mine was missing. I told them what I had been told and they just started laughing, and then showed me where to find it.

Since then I have replaced my own every year - it's easy. I am an older female and don't appreciate service personnel pulling the wool over my eyes - I have not been back to the local Toyota dealership since that time.

For anyone with allergies - the cabin filter is a godsend!
  • echofanechofan Posts: 20
    Yeah, I never understood why Toyota made a place for a filter but didn't install one when the car was manufactured. They did the same thing with my '06 Scion xB (which is basically the same car with a different body).

For my Echo, Scion, and Sienna I buy a big home air conditioner filter, and cut pieces to fit each car. Really cheap, and looks to be a better filter than the ones from the auto parts store.
  • fendleyfendley Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 echo. The cheap plastic undercarriage is attached to the bumper and chassis by even cheaper plastic thumb snaps, most of which have fallen off, leaving half of the undercarriage to drag along the ground when I drive. I have scoured the web looking for a replacement undercarriage and tabs, but can't find anything. Replacement bumpers abound, but no undercarriages. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    edited August 2012
    I have used zip ties to secure the plastic undercarriage on my sons 180,000 miles 2000 ECHO.

Have you looked in junkyards?

Go online used parts and ask people.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    just rip the thing off and call it a day - it is only there to slightly improve fuel economy, and I mean SLIGHTLY.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    Am I correct to conclude that since there are no major complaints or repair postings, despite the aging of the Echo, that the reliability is still excellent?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Check Consumer Reports (if you don't know someone who subscribes, go to the library.)

I think you will see it is very reliable.
  • Mine certainly has been. Other than regular maintenance (spark plugs, oil and air filter changes) and buying new tires when needed, I have spent nothing on repairs.
    ECHOs are getting to be 10 year old vehicles now. So things will start going wrong in spite of the good vibe the car has.

Be careful cause the cars good repair record is well known and scum are selling them for top dollar. You could get scamed with car with major problems...
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    I just replaced an ignition coil on my '01 (easy fix - 100 bucks for a new coil at O'Reilly's). It's the first mechanical issue since I've owned the car. Now, there are a couple of small nuisance issues otherwise. The power lock on the front passenger door no longer moves (unless you manually lock or unlock it) and the cable from the interior trunk release let go, so you have to use the key to get into the trunk.

Still, not bad considering (and the trunk issue should be fairly easy to fix).
    edited October 2012
    Was the coil one of the four that sit atop each sparkplug?

You might consider on line junkyards they wight be cheaper than $100.

mIGHT.

The lock and the trunk problems can be fixed but might entail doing cosmetic dammage to the car.

Or not if you are good at that sort of thing.

Since they can be worked around they are pretty much part of the ageing process and not critical like a tranmission or internal engine problem would be.

The car is flat out amazing longevity wise.
  • Hello all.. I am about to acquire a 2001 Toyota Echo 2dr 5spd for $2,000. It has around 165,000 miles on it. Currently it is in the shop getting the heater and defroster fixed. I know the owner personally and she has stated the car is great and this is the first issue she has had with it other than routine maintenance items. My father had one as well when they were new. At the time I hated the car but now that I do a lot of commuting the idea of the Echo sounds great. So here is my question. Does anyone have any tips for the Echo? Anything I should be aware of? Thanks!
    ECHOs tend to run and run. Theres nothing specificially that goes wrong with them

EXCEPT

if the CEL goes on the mass air flow sensor is often why. THESE THINGS ARE KNOWN TO FAIL AS THE CAR AGES.

gOOD LUCK AND TELL US WHAT HAPPENS AND YOUR IMPRESSSIONS!

sorry for caps!
  • mnmanmnman Posts: 27
    I'm looking for a deal on two stock wheels for my 01 sedan. 14- 5 1/2 is the size I think. My zip is 54896 if anyone has some spares to sell. I'm unemployed 2 1/2 years now so scroungin'

herm.mark@gmail.com
  • Since this forum has people from all over the US and other parts of the world, it's not really a good venue to buy/sell parts. To target a local audience, your best bet is craigslist.org.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ztramno27ztramno27 Posts: 1
    Hi
    Can you add this to the Echo's as well???
    edited May 2013
    No the ECHO uses a mechanical/electrical cruise control and the accelerator is connected to the throttle by a cable. The CC for the YAris (and probably everything else made recently) is contained in the ECM that runs the engine and the throttle is connected to the gas pedal electronically. Basically the CC is on every car with this feature whether its sold with cc or not. You would just have to add the stalk.

The good news for ECHO owners is the cable allows a smooth transition from standing still to moving. Like at a light or stop sign. The fly by wire of the Yaris has a very jerky and uneven transition.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Indeed the throttle by wire pretty much wrecks what would otherwise be a very decent little driver's car, with the SE trim in the new model. I like so much about it I might consider keeping it at the end of the lease even though the throttle is so awful.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Hi Nip what are you driving now? I thought I remember you sold the ECHO....