Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Echo

Comments

• Options
    danny28danny28 Member Posts: 158
    I forgot to mention that besides the one "t-splice" connector, all the other electrical connections are made through an existing Toyota plug-in connector. Very neat installation!
  • Options
    Specific Cruise Systems webpage for Cruise Controls. Presumably they can tell you where to find an installer.

http://www.scsfrigette.com/html/products/cruise.htm
  • Options
    lynnann1lynnann1 Member Posts: 85
    Thank you, for your replies. Glad to know it's doing what it's supposed to do.
  • Options
    kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    The breakin of 55 mph applies for the first 1000 miles of operation, according to the owners handbook. I find it strange they specify that considering they don't also require an oil change at 600 miles also. But I'm doing it!
  • Options
    We did our first oil change at around 300 miles and then again at 3,700.
  • Options
    I just inquired about a service manual for the ECHO from Toyota...guess how much...$137.00!!! Granted this is the full zoot how to fix everything bible (including diagnostics and wiring diagram) not the MAINTAINEnCE manual mentioned at the end of the OWNERS manual (which Toyota knows nothing about). Would anyone know of another publisher of a service manual...I know I know Amazon dot com! I'll let you know...
  • Options
    sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    At this time the car is way too new for anyone else to have coverage of the service manual.
  • Options
    I have a proposal for those Echo owners who are interested in doing their own maintainence and repair. Clymer, Chilton, and Haynes don't make service manuals for ECHO yet, and the Official Toyota Manual is $137. (two volumes, mechanical and elctrical, diagnostics and maintainence covered) Although currect ECHO's will be covered by warranty for at least 2 or 3 years, things like oil changes, 30,000 services, brake pad relacement, and others are not and cost $$$. (of course, once the warrantly runs out repair bills are on us and this book can reduce those costs substantially) BUT if a group of us got together and split the cost of the manual, we could help each other with those expences. There are certainly ways of distributing the information in the manuals among members. (which we won't go into here!) I've been a car mechanic, mechinist, and electronics assembly instructor (NASA certified) for 21 years and was thinking it would be fun to write up proceedures for say, changing the coolant or replacing the exhaust system. I could see this even becoming a corporation of as many as 100 owners all sharing their repair problems/solutions which each other. Group buys of parts (lowers costs) are possible. (we do it on the ST1100 list I'm on) Someone might even do a web page.
    If anyone is interested, post a reply.
  • Options
    sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
  • Options
    joe_12997967joe_12997967 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know how back pain sufferers rate the Echo's seats, suspension and ride?

I have a history of back pain and underwent surgery at the beginning of the year. I am particularly uncomfortable when driving. As both of my current vehicles (an 82 RX-7 and a 77 Ford Econoline van) are particularly hard on my back. I have test driven an Echo, but I would be interested in any feedback from others.
  • Options
    I too have back pain and have found the Echo is about the easiest car on the market to get into and out of. I have yet to take the car on a long trip, but so far so good. On my brothers Accord, for some reason the seat back with its "supports" makes riding in that car uncomfortable. I find the back of the seat on Echo to be good, but perhaps the seat bottom may give trouble. But thats me not you. You have to like how easy the car is to get into and out of.
  • Options
    I've had back problems for 30 years, which I've learned to manage with care and exercise. I found that on highway trips my back would get tired because I couldn't move around much without a cruise control.

Since I had the cruise installed, and I've been able to shift my seating position, I haven't had any problems on trips up to 1 hr. I haven't taken any longer trips yet, but plan to take my lower back cushion as a precaution if I do.

I did a 3000 mile trip last fall in an F150 with a bench seat and found the lower back cushion was a lifesaver. I used it for an hour at a time with an hour without it in between and was able to drive up to 4 hours at a stretch.
  • Options
    Regarding the "Repair Club":

Count me in !
  • Options
    echolaliaecholalia Member Posts: 20
    I have back pain for over 10 years and found the ECHO seat is decent due to its tall sitting position. I had several one way trips up to 500miles at a time and the driver seat bother me a bit. The ECHO's lightweight give it a bumpy ride and your back & body got tired after long trips. Although the ECHO seat does not have enough lumbar support ...it is still better than most Hondas. I used to have a 92 Camry XLE and a 97 Lexus ES300, both have excellent lumbar support and pain free long trips.
  • Options
    OK Danny you are the first one to show an interest. Let's give it a while and see how many others are interested. Then we can get the Toyota manual and split the cost as many ways as there are people. Since this is my bright idea, I'll offer to buy the book and then people can send in money according to how many there are. Send in money, get access to the manual. I'm wondering if its possible to scan the book into the internet. (perhaps its already there!) I can make a copy or two of it at work. (but not too many, someone will rat me out) Maybe others can copy the copies. That's what we need, people with knowledge who will share it with others for the benefit of all. Perhaps some people know how to approach vendors so we can buy things like air filters and oil filters in bulk. Maybe someone can do a club website. Those who know about buying cars may offer help in negeotiating deals. (I only got $220 off the MSRP) Having repaired cars for thirty years, I'm willing to offer help in that direction. Maybe it will just be you and me! We'll se what happens.
  • Options
    toytechtoytech Member Posts: 7
    I already have a copy of the Echo manual, and have access to the EWD manual, so if someone needs specifc info, drop me an e-mail for your query. Although copying will cost me nothing, postage paid self addressed envelope enclosed would be helpful.
    For those interested the part number for the repair manual is RM750U. Part number for the EWD is EWD396U.
  • Options
    thooverthoover Member Posts: 49
    I am looking for an Echo accessory, a bug deflector / hood protector that I am told is available in Canada, not the USA (my mud guards came from Canada also, not available as a US part for some reason).

The item is Airplex Part Number is BG360S or BG360D (I am not sure what the difference is between the S and D). If any Canadian Echonians know of a web site or source or something it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    echoluvrstecholuvrst Member Posts: 111
    Well, I have heard from another dealer regarding a quote for my Echo. They say they can get it for me for $13,995 plus taxes and other fees mandated by state law. Nice price, but get this. They want a $1,000 non refundable deposit. I am sure it would be applicable to the cost of the vehicle, but what happens if I already have 100% financing in place from someone other than Toyota. This is a question I have posed to the dealer. We will just have to see what they say.
  • Options
    cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    What ECHO do you get for $13,995? That's $1000 more than I paid for a 4 door, auto, air, am/fm/cd, cold wx package, sport cladding. I bought mine from Cliffy1.
  • Options
    For $13,995, I would be getting a Echo sedan with manual transmission, upgrade packages 1 and 2, all weather package, side impact air bags, ABS, rear lip spoiler, and alloy wheels. I believe I have listed it all.

Having gotten to "know" him from this message board, I would love to deal with Cliffy1, but since I am in Missouri and he is on the East Coast, it probably won't happen.
  • Options
    The dealer that I went to see last Saturday has another ad in the paper today. I was told on Saturday and again on Monday that the car in the paper was sold. When the salesman tried to get me to pay more for the car I test drove, he again told me that the car in the paper and the car I drove were different. I was also told that the ad in the paper was a mistake and the car for sale should have been described as a two door and not a four door.

Well, you know what? The same sticker number is listed for the Echo in the ad this week that it was last week. And the Echo is described as a four door.

Just for grins, I am going to write this dealer and ask him what is going on. I have a feeling that they will claim that they could not change the ad because it will cost them more money.
  • Options
    Is the 60/40 split rear seat part of one of the upgrade packages? Edmunds does not show that it is, but I have seen other sites where it is listed as such.
  • Options
    I have noticed that the Echo is a topic on other boards beside this one. I have not been to them yet, but I am going. I suggest the rest of you go to so that we may effectively convey the Echoian viewpoint. To find the boards that I am talking about, just typing Echo in the search section of Edmunds townhall.
  • Options
    jbear87jbear87 Member Posts: 13
    kneisl1, I do not want to be the wet rag, but posting the manual on the web might be a copyright violation. Before posting the manual and/or making copies you may want to check on this. If for no other reason, for your own protection.
  • Options
    babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    A manual in the hands of an untrained
    person, like me, could cause more trouble
    than the original problem. My wife knows
    when I try to fix something in the house
    she should go ahead and call the plumber,
    carpenter, and electrician.
  • Options
    According to the US dept. of energy website, the only non-hybrid vehicle with lower fuel costs than the Echo is the Suzuki Swift. In other words, the Echo is the most economical conventional 5 passenger vehicle available.

How about that !

Check it out at :
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byMPG.htm
  • Options
    mong1mong1 Member Posts: 32
    Ok, it is offcial that the Seafoam Blue Echo has discontinued, urgggg!!!! I ordered my Seafoam Blue Echo 3 weeks ago. The dealer placed an order from the manufacturer and suppose to arrive in Jan 2001. On Wednesday, the dealer had a meeting with the Toyota guys, and return with the news that the Seafoam Blue has discontinued.....

Anyway, I got the news on Friday... so I went to the dealer to pick another color. There're only Red, Gray and Green on the lot.... The gray looks classy but doesn't go very well with the cladding, plus it is not shine enough... So, I ended up with the Red one..... I really wish there's a Seaform Blue one, man, that's sad.

Anyway, I pay for $14,300 for my 4 dr manual Red Echo. It has upgrade package 1, 2, all weather guard, spoiler, floor mat, alloy wheel, wheel lock, and security package..... I will be picking up my Echo next saturday, after the thanksgiving holiday....

So, you guys out there who have Seaform Blue Echo, take good care of your baby, and if you want to sell it, sell it with higher price, it's going to become antique!!!
  • Options
    Moses,

I am sorry you did not get your Seafoam Blue Echo. Are you sure you want the red one? You do know that you and Melody are going to have the same color, right? LOL.

I am going to go to Carsdirect.com and see if you got a good price. $14,300 is really close to what they want for the one I want them to special order. Yes, the same dealership.

I will post the results of my inquiry later.
  • Options
    mnorasmnoras Member Posts: 3
    I have just bought an Echo (still have not picked it up though, have to wait for a couple of days till the dealer will get it) and I am wondering: to get or not to get that extended warranty thing for my new car. It covers basically all the stuff that is covered under basic factory warranty - it is called "Toyota extra care gold" (rings the bell?) and it extends basic warranty to 6 yrs. or 100,000 mi. In fact, first 3 yrs. (or first 36,000 mi.) are covered by the basic warranty anyway, and the engine block, transmission and airbags factory warranty goes even further (5 yrs or 60,000 mi.). Do you think it is a good idea to buy that "gold" stuff for mere $845 (+tax)? Most internet places advise "do not buy, but..." (Edmunds is a good example). What is your opinion? By the way, for people on the market for a car, my recommendation:
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
    I learned a lot over there.
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I'm interested to know how the Echo handles... is it the kind of car that you'll feel every bump on the road, with kind of a harsh suspension, or is it more like the Corolla when it comes to handling?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I was going to call this post not a good price because I was going to post a response to Moses, but I see someone has asked about extended warranties. The title of this post says it all about my feelings on both subjects.

Moses, for a car like you are getting the CarsDirect.com price is $13,755 while the MSRP is $14,895 and that seems to make getting the car for $14,300 a good deal, BUT the invoice of your car is $13,360 which means the dealer is making about $940 off you. I think $13,860 would be a more realistic price. This allows the dealer $500 profit.

My roommate and I are headed to Strouds so I need to make this quick. Personally, I do not think that extended warranties are a good deal. Will possibly post more on this subject when I get back from dinner.
  • Options
    I think that EWs are just another profit center for car dealers especially if you are financing the vehicle with the dealer. If you finance the car and the EW, you are going to pay much, much more for that peace of mind.

If you feel that you really need an EW, you might check into an insurance company's "mechanical breakdown insurance." MBI is what State Farm calls their offering. Perhaps you have heard the radio ads.
    Call your insurance agent and see if they offer a similar product.

You might also plan to set aside an amount every month for car repair. Do this from day one while the car is still under warranty and when the car is out of warranty, you will have a nice just in case fund.
  • Options
    Anyone wishing to obtain the service manual please contact me at 233@excite.com. Thanks!
  • Options
    The pundits are right, do not get the extended warranty, but... As the salesman explained to me "...but $800 is the cost of only one repair" Right! That's why I do my own work! (just ask Toyota what they get for a 30,000 mile service, then see what DIY costs)
  • Options
    cmeijningcmeijning Member Posts: 16
    Hi. I live in Holland and I recently purchased an Toyota Yaris Verso. It is an small mpv based on the Yaris/Echo model. I bought the Linea Luna E with the 1.3 L. engine.
    Before I bought it I also considered the Renault Megane Scenic and the Citroen Xsara Picasso. Both cars are a bit larger (and more expensive).
    I own my Yaris for 2 months now and I already drove 5500 km. I just love the car.
  • Options
    mong1mong1 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for helping me out to check the price. I went to Cardirect.com and input all the information, but I got $13,815.... I think they make too much out of the security package. However, the $14,300 is not the price I'm going to pay, I have the Toyota Discount coupon, so the actual price is $14,150.... Oh well... It's hard to bargain for more as I wasn't in the mood because of not getting the Seafoam Blue, I was in the "yeah yeah whatever" type of mood when I make the deal.

I did realize I have same Echo color as Melody, but I just don't like the Gray one...
  • Options
    the green one, Moses? Why didn't you like that one?

To get the cost of your car, I input the options you listed in that one post of yours. I am not sure why your figures and mine do not match since we both used Carsdirect.com.

$14,300 or $14,150 does not matter. I still think you are overpaying for your car. It is relatively late in the month and you might see if they will charge you less for the car.
  • Options
    stackums24stackums24 Member Posts: 1
    I think the Toyota Echo is a cute car. I love it. Its so-called "cartoonish" styling gives it character. Also, I sat in an Echo for quite a bit of time fooling around with all the buttons (I know this does not qualify as driving) and I think where the speed-o-meter is placed is quirky and can be easy getting used to (especially if you do not have much previous experience). I will turn sixteen in May and when I get my actual liscence, I would like the Echo to be my first car. I am a teenage girl and I just love the cuteness that the car posseses, I have never seen anything like it, I read that the safety is bad, but in a sad, scary way, I really do not car because I really love this car. I made my sister get into the back to see how roomy, she loved it. I do not plan on squashing three football players in the car when I drive, only my friends who are not the size of full grown men, so I don't have a problem with the "cramped" interior, if my friends have a problem, they can walk, I LOVE THIS CAR! Also, I love small cars much better than anything else because I am under 5 feet tall and a car this small is perfect for me. As for your comment on feeling silly driving up in it, I will feel very cute, and if people like this car enough, like me, you will not care how other people view it. It is so much better than driving around a big ugly clunker. Toyota is also such a reliable company, after reading your report, I take the pros very seriously and will brush off the cons, because I like everything about this car, who needs all those extra options like air-conditioning, power windows, and power doors, is America really to lazy to press a little button in to lock the door of your car, or pump up a lever to move the window? And the with the windows down, you could get a nice breeze. I am sure there ARE things wrong with this car, but there is still time to improve it, and with safety features, the lightness of the car is not that important.

Thanks
    Stackums24
  • Options
    Did I spell that correctly ? Wow, what a handle !

Welcome to Echo7. Welcome to North America. Well, okay, Australia too !

Your Yaris MPV sounds really interesting. Does it look like an Echo in front? I guess the back is more like a van for it to be called an MPV. How much space is there behind the back seat ? How much does it weigh ? What is your mileage to date. I'm running between 5 and 7 litres/100 km.
  • Options
    The Echo is an excellent vehicle, but maybe not as a first car. See previous posts for some discussion about this. A lot of new drivers have one or two fender benders before they get the hang of things, so you may want to start out with something a little more forgiving.

If you're going to drive mainly in the city, however, and drive carefully, you might beat the odds. For an environmentally friendly vehicle, with reasonable yearly mileage, it's hard to beat the Echo at any price. The only weakness noted, are related to the Echo's light weight, which is a necessary ingredient of a ecologically friendly vehicle.

By the way, the Echo has more interior space than many compacts, including the Corolla.
  • Options
    mdrewmdrew Member Posts: 32
    Sorry to hear about the Seafoam Blue being discontinued, if true. (I have to admit I'm glad mine will now be more of a rarity! Need to get some touchup paint in that color while supplies last...) If I had to take another it'd be the silver (is that what you mean by "grey"?) I haven't heard of a grey one. I'm also a little puzzled as to why somebody sees a car for $500 or so less on carsdirect.com than the dealer is selling for and goes with the dealer; guess it's a free country.

Re: Danny28's last post, I don't see why the Echo would be a problem as a first car. The only safety concerns were in the bogus Edmunds review, when there are maybe half a dozen other small cars of comparable weight (i.e. 1,900-2,300 pounds). If some future crash test results show otherwise there might be some basis for that; I doubt they will. There's some speculation about the Echo being flimsy in a fender bender, but flimsy compared to what? Again I doubt it's any different from the other new subcompacts; materials have gotten lighter in general. I also think the high seating position is a positive safety factor providing better vision in the world of SUVs, etc.
  • Options
    I had a fender bender in my ECHO in October. It
    was appraised at about $549 (can't remember exact
    amount) in damage - The plastic cover over the
    bumper needs to be replaced - the right corner was
    dented and cracked a little where the metal bumper
    ends underneath the plastic. The hood has a few
    scratches and my right headlight was shifted upward a little - not even cracked. I haven't gotten her to the body shop yet (husband was away and have been busy) hopefully there is no damage underneath.

The thing that got me with the appraisal was that
    they listed under condition of the car "good."
    Good! GOOD! It should have been excellent. I
    bought the car in May, I've kept it clean and waxed AND there were no other dents or scratches other than what my little accident put there!

Insurance companies!
  • Options
    I went back and crunched some numbers on the Echo that I want the dealership to special order for me. Using both Carsdirect.com and Edmunds.com, I come up with an invoice price of $13,804.

I have a copy of an email one of the dealers sent me and it has a breakdown of the options and they came up with an invoice price of $14,085 and this includes TDA.

One thing that I noticed is that Edmunds includes the destination charges, BUT does not include the TDA and I don't think that Carsdirect includes the TDA either.

I forgot about that charge when I was telling Moses that he was overpaying for the car. If the TDA is included, then he is paying about $684 above invoice. I know he has the coupon and will save $150 off that, but I still think that he needs to see if they will knock another $184 off the price.

I need to find out from the dealer who is offering me my Echo for $13,995 if that includes the TDA and what their documentation fee is.

Did I tell you that one internet rep at this dealership told me that she could only offer me the car at $500 above cost no matter how low any other dealer went. Now they are seemingly offering me the car at $191 above cost.

This same dealership also told me that they wanted a $1,000 non refundable deposit. I think I have scared them because now they are saying $500 and it would be refundable upon delivery of the car if I have outside financing.

I have never driven an Echo with a stick and my roommate is off call on Saturday so we are going to stop by two of the dealerships and see if they have a manual Echo for me to test drive. This will be two dealerships I have never been to and I want to see how I am treated.

My roommate does not know it yet, but we are going to go there on the pretext that she is the one interested in a car. While we are there, I am going to suddenly develop an interest in test driving an Echo.
  • Options
    cmeijningcmeijning Member Posts: 16
    Yes danny28 you did spell it correctly. When you look at # 363 and #364 you can see that the front of the Yaris Verso looks almost the same as the Yaris hatchback. The headlights and the fender are slightly different though. The dashboard is also almost the same as the Yaris hatchback. By the way, in Holland (and I think entire Europe) the Yaris and the Verso have digital instruments. I think the Echo doesn"t have that? The car weights 960 kg. The space behind the back seat is 390 litre. In the back there are three seats. The middle one is small and can be taken out. The 2 normal seats fold and disappear underneath the floor. The cargo capacity is then 2160 litre. The mileage so far is between 5.7 and 7.15 litres/100km. I have the optional A/C but I don't use that much.
  • Options
    marriimarrii Member Posts: 3
    I just read the essage that the Seafoam Blue Echo is no longer available and I was quite surprised. We ordered a Seafoam Blue Echo last month and yesterday got a call that it was in. We did not take deliverey, however, because the car was missing the power door locks and the spoiler we had ordered. We could live without the spoiler, but the power locks were a different story.

We are now back on the waiting list and the dealer did not say anything about the color being discontinued. We called another dealer in Oregon and he said the color was still available. What's going on? I'm now wondering if these Toyota dealers really know what they are selling. If, in fact, the blue color is no longer available, we may have to make another decision.
  • Options
    wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    I just had my own comment to make about the choice to pay extra now for an extended service warranty.
    I would suppose that the repair work that might be covered would have to take place at the Toyota dealership. Maybe at the same dealer? Or any Toyota dealer? Problem is that as you keep the car longer you surely may want to have work done at your local shop, or some other service facility. So that is a major negative for the warranty. Also keep in mind that your payment is now, but that your value received will come into play between 3 and 5 years from now. You could invest that money now and have a good bit extra by the time you need to spend it on those repairs.
  • Options
    4fun4fun Member Posts: 9
    I hope Totota brings it to the US someday. I will probably get one if we relocate oversea for our next jobs. The 2.0L Scenic (comparable to 2WD RAV4/CR-V) is more upscale than the Verso but actually has less cargo space according to 4car.com. So functional and cheap!

However, the US Echo is growing on me terribibly, eventhough I know that the new Civic and new Corolla (Japan only) are more upscale.
  • Options
    forgetmenot2forgetmenot2 Member Posts: 7
    Don`t need the EW. The Toyota is a dependable car which should not have any trouble at all. Invest your $800.00 for yourself instead of letting them invest it for themselfs.
    I have the Dark Blue ECHO. I have over 1000 miles on it. I just love it. Can`t wait to drive it each and every day. I ordered it and it took 4 weeks to get if I remember right.