Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    I like all the colors, but I like black the best which is why I bought a black Echo. But it is a pain to keep clean.

The Seafoam blue is pretty snazzy.
    As I was going to pick my roommate up yesterday, I could see another Echo up ahead. I did not think I would be able to get a close look, but do to the way the stoplights changed, I was able to pull behind it at a stoplight.

It was a seafoam blue sedan from Wisconsin. That might not be too unusual if I lived in Michigan, but I live in Missouri so they were a ways away from home.

They stayed in front of me and in the same lane for a couple of stoplights before the young female driver shifted over one lane to the right.

I used this as an opportunity to pull up somewhat alongside. The driver of the other Echo had her car almost into the intersection so the front of my Echo was about even with the back of the front door.

I honked and all the occupants turned to look. I mouthed the words, "nice car," and I received smiles, chuckles, and a "yours too" in return.

Later on, I saw a green Echo. I was too far back to see if it was a four door or a two door.

From what I have seen though, the conclusion could be drawn that four door Echoes are more popular in Kansas City than two door Echoes.
  • tracey8tracey8 Posts: 6
    Indigo blue is the best. When i went to buy my car (2001 indigo blue, four door, automatic) there were a ton of silver and black ones on the lot but there was a gorgeous blue one in the showroom. It took several weeks to get one and i've only ever seen one other blue echo. btw, it looks great with the bug deflector and splash guards.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I liked the brilliant blue pearl the best.....but now I'm really warming up on the Seafoam Blue. I think it's the perfect color for this kind of car...but it looks bad on a car like a Camry (which has a new light blue called Catalina Blue.) I kind of think Seafoam is just a little flashy, or isn't it?
    Does anyone have an aftermarket sunroof installed in their ECHO? Does anyone have experience with aftermarket sunroofs? If so...are they worth getting? How about wind noise, quality look and fitness with (any) the car? What does a sliding aftermarket moonroof run about with purchase and installation?

Has anyone found good success an in aftermarket cruise control also for the ECHO? I'd definitely get an ECHO if Toyota had these options...although I guess they aren't that hard to get on the aftermarket.
  • Hey tracey8, I thought I was the only one with the electric blue! But then, I see you're not really near Brooklyn... I have yet to see another one. I test drove a gold and almost bought it, then heard the salesman describe the dark blue as "Lexus blue," thinking he would talk me into buying a car. They weren't getting a blue one for a couple of weeks, so I drove up to New Rochelle, saw one in the showroom and bought it there. Recently a Seafoam moved onto my block. It's nice, but a little too greenish for my taste. I think my second choice would be red. Where did you get the splash guards and bug shield?
    They had an indigo blue Echo at the auto show back in March, but you know, I have not seen a single one actually on the streets.
  • mdrewmdrew Posts: 32
    I liked seafoam blue by far the best when the Echo first came out, and bought one a little over a year ago. Since then I've started to like silver, green and indigo blue the more I see 'em on the street. But silver's such a common color nowadays (with all cars); I still kind of like the 'differentness' of the light blue. The car has been a dream with no problems whatsoever (knock on wood-no rattles).

(By the way, re: overdrive not kicking in with the blue light on, the Echo owner's manual says just that--it's not supposed to.)
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Posts: 205
    Since the summer heat of south Georgia is intense I knew I wanted a lighter color Echo. Thought the white would be my choice to reflect those rays until I spotted a silver. Also read in Consumer Reports that silver was the most common color chosen by new car owners so should be easy to resell (although I keep my cars until the wheels fall off). My parents had a black car with black interior and it was an oven. Vowed I would never buy that combination. Just seems logical that lighter colors will keep the inside cooler. Thought white would be showing dirt too easily so driving a beautiful silver Echo.

Found a solution, maybe temporarily, to my rattling door button. I put a short piece of electrical tape around the stem, not too thick so it will lock, and no more rattle. Didn't realize how much that rattle was annoying me so glad my tape is keeping it quiet. Originally I thought the rattle was a wire in the door panel vibrating but found the real source by reaching over while driving and holding the stem against the housing.
  • tracey8tracey8 Posts: 6
    Hi Blue Echo!
    When i went into my dealership to get my car seat tethers replaced, i was looking at the car pamphlets and noticed they had a toyota accessories one. In it were all the things you could buy for their lineup of cars. I chose the bug deflector ($79), the splash guards ($49) and the cargo net ($46). (these are Canadian prices)
    It took about 45 minutes and I think they made my car look sportier.
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    I just finished washing my black ECHO and noticed about 3 scratches (just above the passenger front tire well and just below the hood, its between the two) Its only noticeable at certain angles so Its not deep, it kinda looks like a claw slashed it...lol..is there a product that I can just rub and wipe off that would smooth them out?? I have some nu finish would that work???
  • jhall7jhall7 Posts: 33
    Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

I won't concern myself with it any more.

By the way, saw a seafoam blue Echo in Lexington. If I hadn't gotten an unbelievable deal on the black one, I would have bought the blue. Great color for this car design.

Thanks again,
    Jack
  • echorickechorick Posts: 27
    I drive 60 miles per day on California Freeways and city streets. I have put 6,000 miles on my 2 door 5 speed since I bought it. I have never felt a crosswind problem that I thought was unsafe or uncomfortable. That mileage includes going on overpasses in windy mountain passes.

Yes, I have felt the wind, but never in a manner that I considered uncomfortable or unsafe.

The ECHO is a great car. Buy it and enjoy it.
  • ml91ml91 Posts: 26
    I have not purchased an Echo (yet), but I have a lot of experience driving compact and sub-compact cars. ALL sub-compact cars are moved around a bit by wind gusts. I have not found this to be dangerous when driving at or near the posted speed limit; it can be a bit annoying at times, though. People who dislike feeling their car buffeted by wind gusts should avoid small, light-weight cars in general.
    I was looking at reviews of the Echo at www.carpoint.com. There are more than 100 consumer reviews, and only one is negative (something about an annoying noise when driving with the rear windows open). The three editorial reviews were also favorable. I think this is very impressive for any vehicle, especially an economy car. 99% of Echo owners seem very satisfied with the car, despite the reviews by the staff of Edmunds.
    Red and black are my favorite Echo colors; silver isn't bad either.
    All of those people are right, except one of course! I don't see how anyone can not like the ECHO. It has much more flair than Focus and looks much more fun to drive.
    The Focus is probably fun to drive also; however, all the recalls by Ford concern me.
    Ford is having a lot of trouble right now with all of those recalls...and then there's the whole Explorer fiasko. Focus looks more conservative than an ECHO, so I think ECHO looks like more fun...just my opinion.
  • i will be part of the ECHO family on monday night. i decided on a red four door auto with packages one and two plus key less entry and the weather guard. my price out the door will be 14000. i look forward to posting my ECHOING adventures! what has some your average mpgs in the first couple of gas tanks been? either auto or manual. happy ECHOING!
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    My first 3 average MPGs were 37.4 - 44.79 and 42.01, not bad for an automatic. My average, now over 13.5 K miles is 43.32. Good luck with your new Echo. I'm sure you will enjoy the car very much!
  • lynnann1lynnann1 Posts: 85
    I removed a few light scratches with a scratch and swirl remover. I can't remember the brand and right now I'm at work and the scratch remover is at home. It worked nicely, but took a little bit of elbow grease. You do have to be careful though, because you are removing paint while removing the scratches.
    I think complaints about the danger of driving an Echo in crosswinds is a lot of hot air. ; )

Seriously, have I felt the wind? Yes. Has it been a problem? No.

I have also driven my Echo at around 100mph and felt very safe. It was very surefooted. Please note that I know that while I felt safe, going 100mph would have made for one spectacular crash if anything had gone wrong.
    For my birthday, my roommate is going to buy me some time at a local track. I will going there to record some 0 to 60 and some quarter mile times.
    People who say that an Echo or similar lightweight vehicle will be blown off the road are exaggerating greatly. I remember driving my Tercel (which weighs about the same as an Echo) over the Throgs Neck Bridge in New York City on a VERY windy night, and while I certainly felt the wind, it was not a dangerous situation at all.
    My reference to crosswind complaints being a lot of hot air was something of a joke. What is the wind, but moving of air. Get it now?

I do stand by the fact that while I have felt my car moving around, I did not find it disturbing or dangerous.

Now, if someone is used to driving a much, much larger car, they may not feel the same.
    I sent an email to a local track and they do allow people to use their track facilities to test the performance of their cars. The cost is $10 and it turns out one night of the week that they allow it is the night of my birthday. Is that a sign or what?

The hold up is that you have to have a helmet. I am writing them back to see if I can rent one.

They have also said that if a car is faster than 11.99 in the quarter, your car must have a roll cage. I don't think I need to worry about the roll cage. ; )
    There is an ECHO forum at yahoo http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/toyotaechoownersclub there is someone who took their ECHO to the racetrack a couple of times (although his ECHO is not stock) and I think his best time was around 17.59?? He also posted the results against several cars he raced against...check it out!!!
    Almost 4,000 KM's and 5 months old...no problems or complaints so far..
    Thanks for the link. Kind of a shame that someone made an Echo owners' club on Yahoo before Edmunds made one for us here.

I think the difference between what Rippspeed did in the quarter and what the mags say is the method of starting. Do the mags use a light tree? Did this guy?

If I do go to the track, I will post my times here.