Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• jillwhitejillwhite Member Posts: 3
    If you can believe this, I picked up the 98 MB wagon tonite after the left rear window motor and regulator was replaced. $420.00. I drove one quarter of a mile, pushed the switch in the front for the rear window which was one fixed and it was broken. One has to push over and over and it rises by one quarter of an inch for each push of the button...the window motor was was a mercedes dealer part. Now the car has to go back, a new window motor has to be put in and there goes another several days without a car. Is this a deja vu nightmare or what??? The transmission was "reworked" and the engine is now quieter. In my area, the Mercedes and Volvo dealers are horrid to car owners. the only dealer that has a good reputation in dealing with car owners is the BMW dealer..Does BMW make an all wheel drive wagon!!!!! I am more than crying tonite. Polo, thank you for writing a real answer to my message..I will look into the Infiniti you recommend...does Starmark cover transmissions, window motors etc.??? do other extended warranties get honored at MB dealers???? most sincerely, Jill
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Check out the BMW 325xi Sport Wagon its one option for you. Not sure if the new 5 series touring wagon will have AWD.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I also have a 98 MB wagon which my wife uses primarily for transporting kids around town. She has another vehicle for other uses. At about 4 years with approx. 25000 miles the transmission failed but fortunately it was covered by warranty. Otherwise it has been fairly reliable and we still have it without warranty. I wonder if there was some design/manufacturing defect or if it was just random failure? Have others had this problem? How is the overall reliability?
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    Anybody has any info on extended warranty for '96 E320. How much does it cost and what does it cover? I did not think that it's needed but after all horrible stories about reliability of MB, maybe I should look into this. I have a '87 Camry with 170,000 miles without ANY problems (only scheduled maintenance). Sure I would buy a Lexus next time given reliability of MB. Your thoughts on this?
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    you wouldn't happen to be having your car "serviced" by Holloway Motorcars in Manchester NH would you? They have a habit of returning cars to you un-fixed (is that a word?).

Cars are mechanical beasts. The fact of the matter is problems will happen. My experience with my E has been that it has more things happen to it than it should, however, the service departments ability to CORRECTLY identify the problem and CORRECTLY fix it are paramount. Here in NH, there are few options. My visits for service would be cut by 75% if they'd fix the car right the first time.

I am very very sorry to hear about your experience. The fact that you even considered buying another MB after your experience is pretty shocking though. If you need a reliable AWD vehicle, you should buy a Subaru (we've owned 2 and NH they're the only way to drive in the winter). If it's about being seen, then the other vehicles that have been mentioned are good options.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    For the last couple of years, I have been contemplating a E320 Wagon as a replacement for our gas hog top-heavy, but reasonably reliable Isuzu Trooper. Stories like yours have partially kept me from taking the plunge. I think the E--class wagon has the best combination of size, ride, performance, resale and other attributes going for it; except they appear to have a high incidence of premature transmission failures and other expensive repairs.

As far as other wagons go, there isn't anything out there that provides the utility or size of the E-class. I've looked at the 5-series wagon, but question why anyone would buy it. Doesn't have the extra third row kid seats, and only carries marginally more than the sedan's trunk. The Mecedes C class isn't any better and the 3-series wagon is really small.

I haven't looked at the "crossover" vehicles like the Infiniti FX, Audi All-Road, Volvo XC90 or others. But based upon my instincts and what I've read, I'd have to bleieve the Infiniti would provide the best reliability and customer service.

Why are you set on getting another wagon if you don't need the space of the E-class? Wouldn't a sedan be sufficient? Or, if you need the space and want AWD, wouldn't a SUV like the Acura MDX work as well for the same money?
  • px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone know any on-line source to purchase the Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic oil recommended by MB? Also, there are several brake pad manufacturers listed on places like SAS.com, does anyone know which one represents the OEM parts? Thank you for all your inputs.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    It's more likely cost efficient to buy the oil from a WalMart or similar store.

OEM brakes are ATE or Pagid from what I can determine. From my research either are just fine as replacements.

Also, to get filters there are few sites out there like the benzbin.com and formymercedes.com that sell MB filters. They also sell the brakes.

Good Luck with your shopping.
  • jillwhitejillwhite Member Posts: 3
    Gee, I don't know what else to say, today the engine light came on...maybe the sensor problem that others talked about??? In answer to some of the questions when people responded to me,,why a wagon??? I have always loved station wagons..had a wonderful peugeot wagon, far more comfortable than the MB E320 and the steering was to die for and I kept that wagon for ten years, then the 84 MB diesel that I never should have let go of was terrific..just front heavy and not four wheel drive so it would skid out even going slow in the rain...I thought of trading this wagon in to mercedes because I thought I would get my best trade in value and whatever I got would have a warranty,,,now big question,,what doesn't the Starmark warranty cover????? Jill
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The Starmark warranty is a bumper to bumper warranty that doesn't cover consumable maintainance items like tires, brakes, wiper blades etc.
    My last attempt at persuasion, but I think you should give the FX35 a try. A neighbor brought one home for an overnight test drive and I took it for a spin. It does NOT fit our space needs, if we attempted to replace our boxy Isuzu Trooper. The only wagon that would work for us is probably the E-class. But if you think a C class wagon is big enough for your needs, the FX35 would be more than adequate, space wise. And the FX35 handles and drives like a sports sedan, even better than the E-class Wagon, in my opinion.

With all the frustrations and bad luck you have had with Mercedes, I think an Infiniti would be a wise move. The FX35 uses the same 3.5 liter V6 engine that is used in about 10 Infiniti/Nissan models and is the big brother of the 3.0 liter engine in my 9 year old 143k mile Maxima. This is about as reliable a V6 you can possible get.

Of course, with your bad luck, Infiniti may pay you not to buy their vehicle! They wouldn't want "Jill stories" over on the FX board.
  • mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    It's a littler early but I am starting to shop around for snow tires for my 2002 E320. Can someone make a recommendation? I looked at TireRack and they list Dunlop Winter sport M3 as the highest rating. If you are using this brand, can you share the expereince? Thanks.
  • 3star3star Member Posts: 3
    The E320 M112 V-6 engine is proving to be a solid tranny, and so the 4-matic system. Perform a tranny service every 50K and do not listen to the "maintenance free" speech from the dealer.

These cars do have some electrical issues, ie. window regulators, sensors, lamps etc. but all in all I would rather drive a MB than a Honda or Toyota anyday.

Being of good quality these cars will take a lot abuse and come back for more.

Find a good independent MB mechanic in your area for some TLC.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I've had Nokian snows for the last 4 years on my E320 and they have been very good for both stop and go traction and traction in corners. They also are wearing very well. I should get well over 20K miles out of them, maybe close to 30K.
    Unfortunately, last January, I blew out two of them on a sharp curbstone. Try finding a choice of snow tires in January in the northeast!! I ended up with Michelin Alpins on the rear axle for the balance of the winter. They also have very good traction and are a little quieter than the Nokians. I don't have enough miles on them to make a judgement on wear.
  • polo2928bpolo2928b Member Posts: 21
    Well like I say, if you ever owned a BMW you know the car is a great vehicle and a better performance car perhaps! but for you to say that a BMW is a better finished product, you really have to be blind not to see the cheap plastic material used by BMW in cup holders, or plastic clusters etc. and if you still have a BMW I would like to see how it holds after 10 years, you will probably be dishing out another 50K for a new Mercedes
  • fshxprtfshxprt Member Posts: 8
    I just read in the new "Star" magazine the the new E 55 would not get the new 7 speed auto transmission. AMG says the performance of the E 55 is better with the 5 speed than with the 7 speed auto. Very interesting!!! Especially since the E 500 will come with the 7 speed. Will the current E 500 with the 5 speed have greater performance than the new E 500 with the 7 speed? Could be! If so, those with a 5 speed E 500 may have a reason to keep and not trade. What do you current E 500 owners think?
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    In this months What Car? magazine, Mercedes rated 6th, below Honda (4th) and Toyota (3rd). Audi was 19th and BMW was 17th. The cars from each company averaged around 4 years and 50K miles. The overall winner for Mercedes and the survey itself was the SLK and the E class (96-01) was 5th overall. The article went on to say that Benz owners overall had the best reliability of the luxury makes.
    I got hammered in this forum a couple of months ago by suggesting that the 7-speed auto might be more marketing hype than engineering prowess.

Someone posted a link to the complete description of the 7-speed auto and, frankly, I retracted my original comments. The 7-speed does appear to have some impressive engineering technology behind it. I have since run the question by a friend who happens to hold a masters degree in mechanical engineering and materials science and, conincidentally, is looking to upgrade his E430 to either an E55 or M5.

His opinion is that the 7-speed auto in the standard E-class will indeed be a better transmission for 99% of drivers who want good acceleration, smooth shifts and good gas mileage. If, on the other hand, absolute maximum acceleration is your sole quest, a 5-speed requiring fewer gear shifts from 0-60 or 0-100 would theoretically work better.

HOWEVER: The AMG 5-speed is NOT the same transmission in the current or former standard E-class. It is designed to shift considerably faster and can handle much more torque. So any comparisons of the current 5-speed auto in the E500 with the 5-speed in the E55 is apples and oranges. I found this out first hand with my test drives of the C32 vs. C320. They were like night and day in the way the two transmissions shifted.

I suspect the E500 7-speed will be a significant improvement over the E500 5-speed in every performance measure, since it employs quicker shifting (albeit not AMG quick) than the older transmission. The E55 is a different car/transmission altogether.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    The post by linard about "What Car?" magazine's reliability report might be misleading. If I read it correctly, the cars rated were 4 years old with 50k miles. Mercedes rated 6th -- with the SLK the overall winner and the E-class 5th (96-01).

From posts on this board, I'm under the impression that reliability problems for MB have cropped up with more recent models, particularly the M-class and new C-class. My own 2000 E320 has been back for reliability problems at least five times in just over three years, and maybe that's better than average.

But I would be hesitant to compare current Mercedes models with those of just a few years ago. I question whether Mercedes will rate similarly in four years hence.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Not complaining but my car just had the rear window collapse into the door.

A new regulator was installed and switch. Dealer was very accomodating. They seen this many times before.

What is the chance the other rear window goes?
    Seems like a known design issue.

Why not a recall to fix the issue?
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    I also found another CAR article that compared the long-term prospects of the E class versus the 5 series and while conceding the 5 series is the better choice in terms of athletic ability, they concluded that the previous generation E class up to 2001 has had much better reliability and durability than the 5 series. They had a list of typical repairs and the costs for both vehicles. In general, I have a lot of faith in the E class considering I just got back from an extended trip in Western Europe and 70 percent of the taxis in France, England, Germany, Belgium, and Spain were 99 (you can tell since 99 was the first year wtih the LED high mounted stop lights) and up Es. The rest were the older Es. I was in a 2000 or higher E230 with over 400,000 km. After knowing 6 3 series' and a few 5 series' that have had horrid reliablity, I wouldn't be able to conclude myself that BMWs are better than Mercedes'. My mom's 525i being a prime example of their lack of dependability.

Just my opinion...

Linh
    I hope that BOTH the E-class and 5-series are dependable cars. Over the next year or two, I'd like to replace our Isuzu Trooper with an E-Wagon and my Nissan Maxima with a 5-series sedan. And, if possible, keep our S2000 in the process.

However, how do you explain the 5-series selection by Consumer Reports as the best car they ever tested and the E-class's deteriorating rankings in JD Powers and other rating sources? Even these Edmunds forums have a lot more E-class horror stories on this board than is the case in the 5-series board.

Is there truly a good source of objective ratings information that in a detailed assessment ranks the current E-class equal to or above the 5-series?? I'm getting worn out by anectdotal evidence of a car here or there being good or bad.
  • sfvassfvas Member Posts: 10
    Well, after weeks and weeks for looking for a new 530i, I decided to look at a Starmark Benz. I was very impressed with the E320 with sport package and almost would of bought it if they would have paid me more for my trade. I love the BMW also, but just can't find a good one with the options I want.

So I am thinking of going back and getting the 2002 E320, Black with Ash interior (concerned that this too light of a color). It only has 21,000 miles on it. At around $40k, this car's price seems really good. I actually love the ride. I'm not super fast driver, like my wife (who drives a BMW M). I just cruz up and down the hwy to and from work.

The biggest thing that scares me is the reliability of the BENZ. But every car has it's own issues. I have had little things go wrong most cars I have owned, from BMW to Nissan Sentras to Acura CLs. Is the Benz a complete nightmare to own or are the owners just expecting too much from a machine because of it's 40k + price tag.

What are all your thoughts? To BEAM OR BENZ?
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I have been living in Germany and travelled quite a bit throughout Europe in the last 2 1/2 years. In the process I was in countless taxi rides. I also saw German taxis, many E-classes but not all, with over 300,000, 400,000, and 500,000, and some 600,000 km on them. Most are diesels, and automatics, from what I have seen. I asked some of the drivers why there are so many MB taxis vs. BMW, AUDI, or VW. The answer was that MB is the only company that will provide replacement car while their taxis are in for repair and service so that they can continue to work.

Sure, durability has some to do with it, but at least in Germany, it was the loaner car that made it worth a while. I am not sure if the same is true in other European countries, but I presume they would be similar. MB also has a dedicated fleet sales and pricing for them as well, which I have not seen much of from other manufacturers.
    To BEAM or to BENZ is up to you, but if you BENZ, I would think you could do a lot better than $40k for a 2002 E320.

I checked the Washington Post and, unfortunately, they do not have many 2002's to choose from this week. A 2001 w/30k miles is listed at $31,500/ obo. My recollection is that $40k would be even be a high price for a 2002 E430, let alone an E320. I look at the ads since I'm still mildly interested in an E-Wagon.

Another point of comparison is that a business partner and his attorney both leased 2002 E320's in December 2001. Mercedes was offering dealer incentives at the time and the equivalent purchase price for the cars were $45k and $46.5k respectively (one had navigation, the other didn't). Why anyone would pay $40k for a 2 year old E320 is beyond me.

So BENZ if you wish, but I suggest you shop a little harder.
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    The article that consumer reports did rating the 530 the best car ever tested was interesting and the 5 series is a great car. Unfortunatly most car enthusiasts don't pay attention to Consumer Reports as they test generic features and not really driving characteristics (don't forget, they named Old Milwaukee the best tasting beer).

I have owned both cars - 1998 BMW 528 and 2003 MB E500. I also still own a 2001 BMW. Both cars are great cars, it is really up to the buyer to determine which is best for them. The 5 series gave you a great feeling of being connected to the road, it handled great and the quality was great. The only downsides are the car is small on the inside and the trunk, and it is expensive when you add the neccesary options. The E500 is also a great car, it doesn't handle as well although it does have an adjustable air suspension which is neat but even in the Sport 2 setting it does not replicate the BMW feel. Overall I like the E500 better as an all around vehicle but like I said you could go either way. Also anyone who wants to buy a new BMW 5 Series better act quickly as the new design is coming to dealers in October and it is a mess.

The best part about these debates is that they are both great cars, it is like picking the best flavor of ice cream - everyone wins.
    sfvas:

According to Edmunds used car pricing, assuming the 2002 E320 has a moonroof, it is worth approx. $44,300 dealer retail as a Starmarked car. That is in line with the Starmarked 96 I bought in Oct. 98 as it was going into it's 3rd model year. Mine was $38K with 38K miles on it. It had the moonroof but not the sport package.

The 2002 you're looking at is one year newer than mine was so I would expect the price to be above $40K and in fact that is where the pricing is in the Northeast in the last month. I've done some looking and decided to wait til next year to try to find the same car you're looking at but at a further discount of $4-6K.

If you can move the dealer price down some, please let us know. I can use it as ammunition next year myself.. Based upon my experience, I would take any possible savings and put it back into extending the Starmark time for an additional year or two if you don't think you'll use up the 100K miles in the remaining 4 years.
    Thanks for all the info guys! and gals! I am going back to the dealer again today to see what I can do. I don't think I can do better than the 40k. I have seen the cars here, San Francisco, go for about $42-44 for the 2002 and $50-58k for the 2003 E320. habitat1 which part of the US are you in, Washington DC? You have really good prices out there. I have been looking for awhile but can't come close to this price. Plus this car comes with a Starmark certification until 2007/100,000.

I would love a Beamer, but my wife wants to trade her 2000 M Roadster for a BMW 540i 6-speed next year, so then would both would have the same car if I bought the 530.

I was really impressed with Benz's room and love the classic Benz look.

Thanks for all your support! I'll let you guys know what happens and how much we get the car for.
    Those SF prices are outrageous! To think I could have bought a 2002 E320 new in December 2001, driven it for nearly two years and be able to sell it for only about $3-5k less than I paid for it? Assuming I was willing to drive or ship it to SF.

Anyway, here's one from today's Washington Post for you to consider: 2003 E500, Panoramic roof, winter package, fully loaded, 13k miles, extra clean. $49,800/obo.

I'm dead sure that a mid $30's price on a 2002 E320 would be possible here.
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I love the car and all the gadgets in it. I hope it's reliable, but only time will tell. So this is what I got:

2002 E320 with special package (sport package, black maple wood, ash leather). Black color. I bought a CD player for about $800. It has 20,000 miles on it and I paid about $40,000. I reseached this for about one month in the San Francisco area.

The service was awsome! They treat you better than any dealer I have ever been to. I have bought other cars, and as soon as you sign the purchase contact they pretty much don't remember you. This guy took over three hours to take car of everything and show me all the features of the car. Loved the low pressure from the sales, to the parts, to the finance guy.

I will miss my Acura CL, but the Benz just has this really nice feeling about it that no Lexus, Acura, or Infinity can replicate.
    Congratulations on your purchase.. Enjoy..!!

Re: the pricing, I just did a search within 100 miles of my home in eastern Mass. and found just 3 2002 E320's. The cheapest has 20500 miles and is listed at 41,900. It does NOT have the sport package or a CD player. Nor do the other two with slightly fewer miles that are both at the 43K asking price. Most dealers around here will flex from those prices maybe 1-2K so it looks like if your car were available around here for the 40K price, it would move pretty fast due to the sport package and CD player add-ons that the others wouldn't have at that price range.
  • mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    Great choice. I bought brand new 2002 E320 last year and now is about 11000 miles on it. I have not have any problems so far, and the mechanic at the dealer told me 2002 is the most reliable in that model. For those of you thinking about getting 2002 model, be look out on special package vs sports package. Dealer might advertise they are the same but it is different body style and suspension. Sports package costs $3000+ more when I was purchasing the car. If you are not getting sports package, I will say do not pay the same price for spacial package. Special package was the same price as E320 without any options.
  • ong2000ong2000 Member Posts: 19
    After weeks of looking at Lexus, BMW vs BENZ we have decided for the Benz, and we are now ready to order one to our spec.

The dealer we test drive the car told us that the new 2004 E320 will come in October and said that they won't give any discount. Is it true?? We want the 2004 with the DVD Nav.

This is my first experience buying a new Benz. I would like to know some idea from you guys. We live in Fairfield County in Connecticut.
  • cdbrycdbry Member Posts: 3
    If you would like your first experience buying a new Benz to be a pleasant one, do not buy from Fairfield Mercedes. My most unpleasant buying experience due to dealer's lack of honesty & integrity.
    There are 4 more reputable dealers in Connecticut to choose from.

It is typical for salesmen to say that there will be no discount on new models. As far as getting a discount, your best bet is to check with different dealers in October.
    Good luck!
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Expect to pay top $$$ if you want to be first on your block with an '04 E. You will probably save $1,000 or more if you can wait until the initial rush subsides, usually within a couple of months.
  • pickle005pickle005 Member Posts: 10
    my dealer told me that she might get me a few hundred bucks, but she wouldn't promise anything.(right now, i'm just hoping for a free keychain).

just to give u an idea what the demand is like. i went to the dealer 1 month ago, and i'm #30 on the waitlist. my eta is dec., if not jan. the problem is that 03 model didn't have 4matic and a lot of buyers pushed off their purchase. oh well what ya gonna do. it's worth the wait.
  • boo20boo20 Member Posts: 85
    Of course you could always buy a Lexus. The dealers have large inventories and are heavily discounting them. In general the MBs, which are percieved by most people as more desirable cars, are sold at or near MSRP. Many models such as the SL, CL have a 2 year waiting list. By contrast you can pick up just about any Lexus right off the lot, at a discount, without any problem.

If you're willing to settle for second best you can always buy a Lexus.
  • boiler1boiler1 Member Posts: 56
    ong2000 - If you want to take European delivery you can save 5% on certain models (use your frequent flier miles to get there!). Go to http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/edp/program/overview/in- dex.jsp&menu=2_0 for details.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Boo, I couldn't resist ... It sures looks like MB is headed where Jaguar was.

IMHO from MB's recent quality gaffs, that the 2 year waiting list is a great idea! Maybe the car you order will be fully debugged by the time you get it.

Lexus is second best to Mercedes like the Yale football team is better than Oklahoma. Yale has a great heritage, but they've been moved down to Division 2. They fumbled a lot in Division 1 and need to practice more to get their plays right.
    I think that it says something about the desirability of these cars in many people's minds that they are willing to pay so much, wait so long and put up with lower reliability (than say a Lexus). Why do you think that is? Could it be because we desire different things in cars? Could it be that some of us want something more in terms of styling than what seems to be a refrigerated box for efficiently storing and transporting meat products (Lexus)? Or a driving experience that is less like being in a coffin?
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    Well, I'm now up to 17,500 miles in 11 months. Radio plays tricks. Often, won't go on at all. Cut the engine, get out of the car, radio starts to play all by itself! MB says they are aware of this problem. I've asked for a new radio. They claim softwear or module difficulty. Radio has been most serious defect since purchase.
    Not to get my "footie" in this banter, but I always get a kick out of Mercedes owners talking about the better "driving experience" over a Lexus. I happen to agree completely, but that factor is also the reason why I would have a very tough time buying a Mercedes over a BMW. I've considered the E-class vs. the 5-series and the C32 vs. the M3. In both cases, I found the BMW driving dynamics and handling a few notches up from the Mercedes. And my preference for a manual transmission can only be satisfied by BMW. Nothing will get me to buy a Lexus, other than an extreme case of insomnia.

I do hope Mercedes quality improves as an E320 or E500 Wagon would be the perfect future replacement for our SUV. But, unless I go ultra practical with an E-class CDI turbodiesel sedan, I will likely look to replace my sedan with a 5-series based upon the "driving experience" of the BMW.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Boo20's comment MB vs. Lexus isn't anything new. The fact that both are selling well in the same high price auto market seems to me to show that there is no clear winner. Each is superior to the other in different aspects. Comfort, quiet, reliability - it's Lexus. Status, handling, style- it's MB. So What- it's a different strokes issue. I've got one of each and love them both for differert reasons.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Check out this link about MB lousy QA. It's sad!

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/mbquality.htm

BTW, I still own 1989 W124 300e and 2004 RX330.
  • deherb3185deherb3185 Member Posts: 3
    Am I dreaming? Can anyone advise me on how to negotiate to get a 2003 E500 or E320 at 3k - 5k below invoice? I hear that this is the end of the model year so the dealers are crazy to get rid of the cars but those I talk to are not wanting to come to the price point below the invoice...

Does anyone really sell below invoice? I have the $$$ and ready to go....

Thanks!
    The only time I'm aware that the dealers go below invoice is when there is a factory incentive. I could have picked up a 2002 E320/430 for $2,000 under invoice before the new model came out, but I've not heard that there are any factory incentives now (am I wrong?).

Unless I missed an incentive announcement, I would think a $3k-5k below invoice price on a 2003 E class is highly unrealistic. On the other hand, I'm being tempted by a 2003 540i 6-speed with an MSRP of $58,500 for $49,000 ($4,000 below invoice).
    It's not only about driving experience. For one thing I don't know how to drive, don't want to know how to drive a manual. Every car is a compromise. In my mind MB makes the best compromises. Certainly better than BMW IMO. They are more durable, have better resale value and are more stylish than the BMWs. Also MB makes an incredible array of vehicles that is unmatched by any other luxury car maker. From 4 door sedans in 2 and AWD in entry, mid and luxury classes. To a choice of engines sizes. To sport models of each of these cars (AMG). To coupes with softtops, fixed, removable and folding hardtops. I also have more confidence in MB innovation and safety features. For my purposes I want a convertible for summer and an AWD sedan for winter. BMW makes a single AWD car and that is in its entry level vehicle which is too small (don't want an SUV). On the other hand I can buy (and intend to this fall) an S 500 4 matic which is a large luxurious car with AWD. Lexus doesn't make this car. BMW doesn't make this car. And don't even mention the nightmares of Audi unreliability to me. As far as convertibles are concerned nothing compares to my SL unless you go to the limited production Z8. The Lexus SC is just no competition. It may be a better value but it's a considerable step down IMO. I would rather pay the premium and have the SL. YMMV.
  • deherb3185deherb3185 Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking that this is the good time to get the '03 since the '04 is due to be at the dealers in less than a month (this is what the dealers have told me). But I guess that my negotiating skills suck bigtime :(

One question: when folks say they bought below invoice, does that include ooptional equipemnt as well? I don't think so but just want to be sure.
  • weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    Does anybody have any idea of changes coming up on the 2004 E Class?
This discussion has been closed.