Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• htohto Posts: 21
    How do you know that you have an upgraded Bose system?

Thanks for the garage door opener tip.

Sometime in the day light, you may not pay attention to the interior light. I still think that MB should have a warning light to warn the driver if there is any door didn't close properly before driving off.

By the way, my car started to develop some kind of clicking sound when I drove over the rough road. It's on the back seat. I checked it out and there is nothing obvious that it causes the noise. Does any body know what may cause it? The sound likes a hitting metal, not a quirky sound of the leather seat.
  • john319john319 Posts: 37
    It could be one of the rear headrest making noise. Mine had that problem and dealer took care of it. From what I know, the cheap MB radio comes with the car. If you have a Bose, then you have upgraded already. I don't believe the cheap radio is Bose to begin with. Never had problems with cupholders holding tonic cans and spring water bottles. Agreed that this Bose is nothing compared to the Nakamichi found in Lexus not even to mention Mark Levinson.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    It's not a rumour any longer. The window switches for the '03 model will be on the door. Here's the actual picture of the interior:

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w211/w211interiorams2001760.jpg

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I read in the 2001 E320 brochure. It said that when you put the car in the reverse gear the driver side exterior rear view mirror would tilt down so you can see what is behind the car. But, I don't see it doing that on my car. Does any body notice that?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    In the MB's I've driven, I thought the passenger side mirror tilted down for parking, not the driver's side.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• wnielwniel Posts: 97
    The passenger rear view mirror does tilt down when the car is put into reverse, however, the right side button must be pushed down next to the the little joy stick controlling the mirror in order for it to operate.
    I hope that this helps.
    Wally
    Last night, I tried to put a little grease into the rear headrest joins and the noise went away. Thanks.

Yes, the passenger rear mirror does work as you said. Thanks.
  • Presently waiting for the computer to indicate an oil change is needed. Understand this will be at approx 10,000 miles depending on the computer's reading of the oil quality etc. Curious if most of you follow the BB recommendation in this area. Dealer will provide oil & filter for $55.00. It's not the money involved since I have always changed oil at no more then 5,000 miles. Recommendations Thanks
  • fred132fred132 Posts: 22
    I had mine changed at Jiffy-Lube at 5k miles. I just don't think it makes sense to wait for 10k miles (or whatever).
    If your dealer is conveniently located and will change it for $55 I'd let them do it.
  • sweetv12sweetv12 Posts: 58
    WIth the incentives on the '01s bringing the price of the e430 Sport down to the mid-50s, whats a fair price for an '00 with 19K miles? It comes with the COMAND system, E3 Sport Package, Heated and Multicontour Front Seats. I was thinking low 40s...

BTW, Carsdirect has the 01 e430 Spt listed for about $2200 below invoice ($58K fully loaded)...run a search with an LA zipcode...
  • Mercedes now recommends only synthetic motor oils for vehicles with the FSS system.

Before you change your oil or have it done, read post 968 for the list of approved motor oils.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    Re your post 2124. I could not connect to the link using different browsers or ISP's. Am I the only one? Can you please check the link again or its IP address. Thanks you.
    Jean
    Drew, I did some research. the old MB Enthusiast's Site is now called MBSPY (as you may know)but it is down for a reason. One of the MBSPY IP's is 206.71.96.3. Once you ping this IP you will notice the site is down.
    Jean
  • jojmjojm Posts: 2
    I just picked up a 2001 E430 black/java with sunroof (not the e2 option), trunk cd changer and goodyear f1's for $49,000.

It's a good price and I'm happy!

--joe
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Sounds like a great price - how does that compare to invoice and msrp? I assume its's a brand new car, not a dealer demo? What part of the country?

Thanks.
  • jojmjojm Posts: 2
    I'm in Florida (no heated seats needed here!)

It's a new 2001 E430, Black/Java, 60 miles on the odometer, not a demo. It is equipped with a sunroof - option 414.

The MSRP, without cd changer, was $55,005. On www.carsdirect.com it shows the invoice price as $51,300.

The new, benz, in-the-trunk cd changer was added as a clincher.

Price: $49,000.

--joe
  • valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    I recently had my '00 E430 in for service due to the ESP light and ABS light staying on all the time. The dealer fixed the problem by replacing the switch.

However, the car behaves differently in the rain now. Before, the dash would indicate the system was working when my rear wheels lacked traction during hard acceleration in the rain. Now, the tires seems to slip a little with no indication the ESP is working at all.

Does anyone know what my ESP should be doing in the rain and if the dash light should come on? Is my system functioning normally now as opposed to before? Any input would be appreciated.
    ESP kicks in only when the car (or any wheel) skids sideways basically on slippery roads during harsh turns and/or high speed understeer/oversteer. Traction Control (TRC) prevents your wheels from losing traction on wet pavement or hard start ups, and not ESP, hence if your tires have a good grip then TRC may not kick in. I tested ESP on frozen lakes (which are hard to find in Florida), but you still can test it at an empty wet parking lot under or after a storm. Try to skid the car a bit in any direction, when ESP kicks in you will feel regaining total control of the car with the engine throttle cut off electronically until the car is stabilized to the direction of the front wheels, also the warning light comes on to confirm ESP is working. Good luck and pleased keep us informed.
    Jean
    Is the MBspy website working for you again? It was down for a bit while some maintenance was done on it, which is probably why you couldn't get access to it.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards