Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• bmw530bmw530 Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2001 E320 last year and was totally satisfied with my purchase until the transmission started to delay shifting up. I took it into the Mercedes dealership several times who said there was nothing wrong with the car. Needless to say four months later the dealer determined that the transmission needed to be replaced. They insisted that a rebuilt transmission was what it would be replaced with as allowed by the Mercedes Benz warranty. Has anybody had a similar experience. I could not believe that a Mercedes would need a replacement transmission after four months and that Mercedes, of all Automobile Manufacturers, would use a remanufactured transmission to replace what should have been a new transmission.
  • bmw530, while I worked at GM and their standards may not be Mercedes-like, field managers actually said that rebuilt transmissions usually are a better choice, as there is more cause for reliablity problems with just dropping a new transmission in.

As backwards as that sounds, it makes sense. A lot of problems with replaced parts have to do with the parts around them, rarely the part itself. From what I have heard, a rebuilt transmission is better as it is more like "microsurgery" where they go and replace one tiny part. I heard several field managers say that a rebuilt transmission has more attention to detail than a new one.

While I'd probably prefer a new transmission myself, rebuilt transmissions are industry normal. I'd grin and bear it, and perhaps complain to M-B and ask them to cover it for 100,000 miles or something. A M-B transmission rarely goes, so consider yourself statistically rare....

Anyway, good luck to you. Don't take a rebuilt tranny as a bad thing, especially if you trust the mechanics and dealer experience.
  • Think of it like this - transmissions are not like one piece. They are a complex machine in and of itself.

Chances are a shifting problem is not the WHOLE transmission - would you ask for a new front suspension when the rear has gone...
  • cwradiocwradio Posts: 2
    A local dealer has a new 2001 e320 on the floor (fifty three actual miles). Black ext / charcoal int, bose w/ 6 cd changer, and sports package. Any concerns that it's still unsold? Any idea what a fair price would be...based on your experiences?
  • I purchased a 2000 E430 from Chuck Albert at American Service Center in Arlington, VA. I found him to be low key, straightforward, and responsive. Have had zero problems with the car and nothing in their maintenance shop except for periodic services and oil changes, but have been impressed with their service staff. Friends who also use ASC voice similar comments.

I initially planned to buy a two to three old car because driving in Northern Virginia usually results in door dings and scratches in parking lots, etc, but when I analyzed the cost, I decided against it. There's something about the look and smell of a new car. Have not been sorry about my decision and, two years later, I have incurred no dings or scratches.
  • billsoterbillsoter Posts: 49
    Thanks for the info. Since I posted my question I've been analyzing the costs myself. Because of the very flat depreciation curve of Mercedes vehicles, buying used makes almost no sense at all. A new vehicle is the only way to go.
  • rlowrierlowrie Posts: 30
    I'm sure it has been discussed ad naseum here but I'm not having much luck with the search aspect of this board. Can someone point me to posts (or provide any details) on when the new E might be showing up in the US. Also, has there been any pricing info tossed about? Thanks.
  • valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    My '00E430 has not been garaged the last few days. The temperature in the car has been around 97F. Usually, I use a reflective screen for the front windshield when my car is parked for more than 2 hours. But, I did not use the screen and today, I noticed the front passenger side airbag is beginning to separate from the dash. It looks like the edge of the seal has "melted" away.
    I called the dealer and they offered to replace the airbag.

On Monday I will drop my car off for a week to have the instrument cluster replaced secondary to a slow clock. Also, the dealer will replace the passenger side air bag. Has anyone on this board had a similar problem? Has anyone replaced the passenger airbag? Will my dash look "perfect" again? I am not getting a loaner; instead, I will be driving my '02 BMW 330 convertible for the week.

I appreciate all responses. Thank You.

The new 'E' is due out in August in the USA. I believe the car will be available in Europe later this month. Prices should be similar to current '02 MSRP with perhaps a 2% increase. M-B wants to make sure quality scores in the USA are high when the car debuts in our market.
  • bmms8bmms8 Posts: 86
    my dealer told me the other day that he car will come out in september, but they expected it to comeout earlier than that
  • eadlueadlu Posts: 13
    Check the NHTSA web site. MB claimed it was voluntarily replacing the front side airbags on the 2000 E class cars. I believe this bulletin was issued more than a year ago. I own a 2000 E and I have not received a notice to bring the car in for replacement of the bags.
  • john01john01 Posts: 246
    It has been available in Germany for about a month or so now.
  • waltowalto Posts: 34
    The passenger front "airbag" problem is really just a failure of the vinyl on the dash top--the seam of the "perforated" section that blows out with the bag. It is the entire dash top that they will replace. This has been a common problem and is a relatively simple repair.

The side air bag issue (which affected only some 2000 E cars) was about the airbag deploying in high temperature situations.
    So, when the passenger side airbag deploys the entire dash must be replaced? Will not just a new airbag be sufficient?

If the dealer pulls the entire dash out will I have to be concerned about rattles? Every car I have owned that had the dash removed had a rattle after I got it back. I sure hope my M-B stays rattle free.

Thanks for the posts.
    The NHTSA web site states that some '00 E class cars are affected by unusually warm weather. The side air bag may deploy spontaneously.

I will ask the dealer if my car is included in the recall. Also, if the dash must be pulled I will get a new radio head unit as well. On occasion, my radio reads "No CD player" and will not operate properly. This happens when I play the CD and then turn the car off. If I restart the car the unit will not play where it was left off. I have to press the radio button and then the CD button for the CD to come on.

I have had this problem with the radio/CD player since day one. I had the CD player replaced but the problem persists. The dealer offered to pull the dash and fix the problem but I declined. Is there any chance that a fiberoptic cable is the problem? I think the problem is with the radio head unit or a connection to the head unit.

Any input is appreciated. My '02 BMW has been trouble free but I do not have a CD player in the convertible.
    I like my '00 E430 Sport. The car had a MSRP of $62,000 with my option packages. So, my expectations were high when I purchased the car 26 months ago. Overall, the car is well-built and has great structural integrity inside and out.

My '02 BMW 330CiC is also well-built. But, the outside plastics are not as good as my M-B. The air dam and plastic around the front end of the BMW is particularly unimpressive (cheap actually).
    Also, the steel does not seems as "thick" as my
    E430. The interior is on par with my M-B, perhaps, even a bit better around the dash.

In '04 or '05 I will sell/trade my '00 E430 for a AMG E-55 or M5. AT this point, I am leaning towards BMW because of my previously mentioned problems with my M-B.

Please check out www.BMW2002.co.uk/news.htm for the BMW spy site and a glimpse of the new 5 series.
  • For edsoto
    Why didn't buy your car from the broker in NYC? Has anyone bought a Mercedes from this broker. He says he can offer the car (E320SE) at $42900 because of a special order from Mercedes? It sounds too good to be true? Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you
  • EdsotoEdsoto Posts: 42
    Hi:

He offered the E320 Special Edition for 44,500. I didn't want the SE. His price for an E320 Silver/Charcoal was 46,800. E2 + heated seats. No CD player.

MB Rallye on Long Island offered an E320 - Silver/Charcoal, E2, Heated seats for 44,636 with CD player. It was there on Monday 4/8. I called back on 4/12 and and it was gone. Ugh...

MB Manhattan said a Silver E320 with E2, heated seats was 47,800 - Final. Nothing less. No CD Player. One salesperson did not return my email.

And finally :), MB Greenwich (Salesman Paul K.) offered a Silver/charcoal E320 with E2 and Heated seats for 46,500 or a silver/charcoal with E2, heated seats, CD player, and K2a package for 47,900. I went with that. The K2a with voice activation is pretty cool - more than I expected.

(BTW: I tried MB Helms Brothers in Queens... In February/March time frame: A 6,000 mile demo Silver/charcoal 2002 with CD/E2/Seats: 46,500. Finding out this price was tough enough. A new one with E2/heated seats: 47,150. This was after 5 minutes of continuing to ask the sales person what is the price of a new car. Before an answer could be given, I had to choose between a) picking it up today, b) end of week, c) end of month d) some other time... I would go back to my question and again, those choices were presented. So, after a few minutes of the sales person calculating the national debt on a calculator, I finally heard $47,150. But that price would only be good for the end of the week since the price varies depending upon when you pick up the car.
    --------------------------------------------------
    This was my experience in buying my E320.

During this time, my friend purchased a Lexus ES320... I'll just keep that pleasant experience to myself, unless someone asks. :)
    Walto, I stopped by my M-B dealer today to discuss my repair work. Of course, you are correct in that the entire dash must be replaced
    in order to correct my problem with the passenger air bag. Also, I need a new instrument cluster to correct my "slow" clock problem.

The dealer is going to check my radio and fiberoptics. I probably need a new radio.
    The total cost to M-B for all this warranty work is over $4,000. According to my dealer the M-B extended warranty would cover these problems after my original warranty expires except for the radio.

I am glad to have the additional 4 year warranty
    for peace of mind. Without the extended warranty I do not think I could sell my car on my own.
    But, with this additional factory coverage in place selling the car should be easy.
  • waltowalto Posts: 34
    Yes, I also bought the warranty and I think it's a good idea. One electronic gizmo (the instrument cluster, for example) is probably more than the cost of the warranty. When people talk about unreliability in these cars, I think they're forgetting about the number of systems and the complexity of those systems. This complexity is beyond anything anyone might have imagined 10 years ago!

Incidentally, on the "No CD" problem, that is the one problem I have actually had with this car (mine has Comand). The problem was, indeed, a short fiber optic cable section in the left well of the trunk--it had been badly bent. The computer diagnostics identified it immediately.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Edsoto...?ES320
    Typo... I don't know how I could confuse the model numbers of the cars...
  • sfmartinsfmartin Posts: 59
    I just got this email from my dealer.

SPECIAL BULLETIN

This is hot off the wire from Mercedes-Benz! We want to alert all new Mercedes-Benz owners that Mercedes-Benz has just announced a change to the MB Cares
    program. MB Cares is the extended warranty that is offered from Mercedes-Benz on new Mercedes. If you already purchased the extended protection, your warranty
    coverage will not change. If you have not purchased the MB Cares you only have until 6pm, Tuesday, April 30, 2002 before the program changes and the prices are
    modified. One thing we do know is the 4 year extension which gives you up to 8 years and 100,000 miles of coverage will be gone at the end of the month, and the
    indication is the other program prices will go up.

If you have a new Mercedes-Benz and it is less than one year old, you still have a chance to purchase the current program, but please do not delay. There are not many
    days left and with Fiesta now under way there will be plenty of distractions. Next month we should be able to let you know all the changes in the new Mercedes-Benz
    program. For now we just wanted to let you know about this change as soon as possible, so you would have the opportunity to purchase the current 8 year program
    before it is gone.
    Buy the warranty now if you are planning on keeping the car for more than four years.
    It is the most comprehensive warranty in the business. This is probably why Mercedes has decided to change it and raise prices.
    The "new" extended warranty will probably cover less for more money.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Posts: 186
    That is too bad. The warranty is/was a good one. I wonder if the issues written about over on the C-class board have scared the MB actuaries?
    Warranties: How does the MB warranty compare to other warranties (Geico, Warrantybynet, WarrantyGold), etc...

Thanks,
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Posts: 186
    If you have a problem that is not wear-related (brake shoes, wiper blades, etc), you show up at the dealer and they'll take care of everything with little fuss or muss (under the MB warranty). For some reason, they exclude the power antennae if you have one.

3rd party plans often have a laundry list of items they don't cover. Some of them require pre-approval before you can have the work done (reminds me of an HMO patient trying to get approval for a transplant - forget aboud it!)
    Some have deductables.
    Those you mentioned have come up here on Edmunds, with mixed results.
    I personally view them as an entity in business to make money, and throwing up enough roadblocks to paying out helps them make more money.
    Not that MB hasn't the same goal, but...
  • Thank you edsoto for your reply. I guess what I am really worried about is will Mercedes honor any warranty if I buy the car from a broker and not a dealer. Of course the broker tells me they will, but does anyone else have any experience with this?
    I was worried about that as well. My plan was to put down $100.00, get a VIN number from them, then call Mercedes-Benz and find out if the car is a legit USA car. I was also going to go ahead and do the CarFax thing.

I can't say anything bad or good (except the price) about the car broker. -- But I do know this: If you have any doubt about where you buy your car from, DON'T BUY IT FROM THERE, REGARDLESS OF THE PRICE!

I would have loved to have bought my car from Helms Brothers - but because of the way I felt I was treated, I didn't. Oh Well.

Good Luck...
  • hhm1644hhm1644 Posts: 13
    I read last month (or earlier this month) re: MB's decision to import the E270CDI in the new body this fall...since that first announcement, loads of news and reviews have popped up everywhere on both the E320 and 500, but no more word on the 270...does anyone have links or other info that would offer more insight into whether this is actually true, and if so, are the diesels truly going to be available at introduction time with the other two models? I have a 99 300TD I'd like to get sold before those come in, but my dealer is playing coy and says they have no new info yet. HELP?!
  • jsalemijsalemi Posts: 17
    Another dumb question: what is the purpose of the little flat-topped pyramid in the middle of the dash (between the defroster vents) on an '02 E320? Is it:

1)The sun sensor for the automatic climate control?

2) The rain sensor for the automatic wipers?

3) Just a piece of plastic?

I'm curious because I don't know if I should avoid blocking it or not when I put my radar detector on the windshield for long drives...

Thanks!
    ---joe
This discussion has been closed.