Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    To each his own! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! What's one man's dream is another man's nightmare! And as the king of Siam would say, "Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera."

Like most newer cars, the GS is indeed attractive. But to me, it looks like a gussied-up Camry (Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera). I doubt if E-Class salesmen will lose much sleep.
  • popkwizzpopkwizz Posts: 17
    The Lexus looks more like a fish than the Mercedes.
  • boo20boo20 Posts: 85
    The only thing preventing me from switching from MB to Lexus at this point is the relentlessly ugly styling of the Lexus.

The new GS has a face only a mother could love.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I guess those last few posters are "jaded" too right, the new GS is as ugly as all getout!

M
  • laithy_74laithy_74 Posts: 35
    Since When does lexus need to make its cars beautiful to sell? The current Lexus GS is not as conviniently sized as the E-Class. The next GS looks like it will be much roomier. I am quite sure it will be very successful, and will at least force Mercedes to reduce MSRP of the E-Class by up to $5,000.
    laithy_74 -- Dream on! I'd be shocked if Mercedes reduces the E-Class MSRP by even a penny because of competition from the Lexus GS. Or from BMW, for that matter. Perhaps that occurred several years ago when the Japanese luxo boats first competed with MB, and it was good for us consumers! But I doubt seriously if many E-Class fans jump ship to the GS, for reasons of styling, performance and especially handling. The GS may be a fine automobile, but it just ain't a Mercedes!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    ..just a little indignified and embarassing for Lexus promoters like laysmackdown and laithy_74 to feel compelled to troll the Mercedes and BMW boards trying to sell their wares?

Some people obviously have no self respect.
    ""Perhaps that occurred several years ago when the Japanese luxo boats first competed with MB, and it was good for us consumers!'''

So prices were cut because of the competition weren't they? Why do you think it won't happen again? Besides, I would like to remind you that Mercedes is in its worst shape regarding quality. Never have Mercedes been flamed for quality issues like they are now. And The last time I checked, Mercedes is not selling as well as BMW and Lexus. I am surprised how some of you would consider talking about the E-class competition in this board and whether it can force Mercedes to cut prices as an insult, while I meant to be a good thing. Some of you sound just as arrogant as Mercedes is.
    laithy_74 -- Please don't take this personally, and certainly I don't intend to get flaming insults started. But I find it difficult to comprehend that people can post on a Mercedes E-Class forum and throw out unsubstantiated assertions about competition and pricing (MB prices most certainly will NOT be lowered because of competion from the Lexus GS -- bet on it!!!!), quality (it has dropped, indeed -- but from what starting point and how far!!!), and sales figures. Are you sure that the Lexus GS outsells the Mercedes E-Class? Seems to me I see many more E-Class MBs on the street than Lexus GSs -- many more!!!. How about some authoritative quotes? -- and not merely statements.

BTW, I wasn't insulted when you asserted that the GS would result in Mercedes cutting the price of the E-Class by $5000.00! Don't we wish! I was simply amused and found your statement to be way out in left field. Thanks to Lexus and Infinity back in 1990, prices for German cars returned to the reasonable level from the ridiculously inflated. But now that they're priced realistically, German cars and particularly Mercedes will NOT have to lower prices again because of competion from Lexus or Infinity. Don't misunderstand me -- I'd love to see the E-Class price drop even $1000.00 because of the competition from the GS. But with the E-Class 211 chassis being introduced soon, we can only hope there won't be a price INCREASE instead.

And you mentioned arrogance! I'm forced to ask what you have contributed so far to this E-Class forum? Nothing factual or helpful that I've seen -- just assertions that I found to be pretty far out.

Sorry, laithy_74. Again, I'm not attacking you personally. I just happen to disagree with just about everything you've written and fail to understand exactly why you're posting here.
  • Also consider that the E-class was developed in Germany, where Lexus has little reputation. Worldwide, I bet the E-class outsells the GS even if the GS outsells the E here in the US.
    mbdriver, I meant habitat1 when I said arrogant because he attacked me as being disrespectful. I wasn't talking about you. You didn't say anything wrong.
    My post regarding the sales was also based on the fact that BMW and Lexus indeed outsold Mercdes so far this year. The Lexus GS isn't even close to E-class when it comes to sales, but I believe that's because the GS sedan isn't a smaller alternative to the LS, like the 5-series is a smaller alternative to the 7-series and the E-class to the S-class. It's too cramped, inconviniently-styled, and doesn't have any family resemblance to the LS. The ES300, on the other hand is very successful because it is pretty much a poor-man LS. So I do not see why the GS can't jump in sales if styled and sized adequate. The ES300 sold over 6,000 in March and the RX still outsells everything there, so just think about the possibilities!
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Give it a rest. Since you're so caught up in sales...the E-Class is the #1 car in it's class, in the world as it is also the best selling luxury car in the world. The E-Class is also the best selling car in it's class right here in the U.S....way ahead of the GS. Period. Lexus's GS doesn't even compare sales-wise, not here, or the rest of the world. Mercedes isn't going to drop prices on the new E because the current car is a hit, it only makes sense to keep prices level. Most GS sales are the GS300, the GS430 is way down on the charts, always has been even back when it was the GS400. In Lexus defense they only have 2 models compared to the 4+ that Mercedes has.

BMW and Lexus outselling Mercedes doesn't mean much because Mercedes moves much more hardware from 65K on up than either of them, yet Lexus and BMW only outsold MB by a few thousand units. All 3 are running at around 50K or so for the first quarter. Hardly the bleak situation you always try to predict.

M
  • dzidzi Posts: 8
    I’ve been following this forum for a while. Great place to learn from knowledgeable E-class owners. Last November I finally bought my very first MB E320. It’s a 2002 model and has 2500 miles on it now. Great car except one thing bugs me constantly. I would like to get you guys’ opinion on this issue. When I stop at traffic light with one foot on the brake, after a few seconds I can hear a “knocking” sound from the back of the car. After a few seconds more there will be the 2nd sound. I took the car back to dealer. They replaced the fuel tank but nothing changed afterward. I took it back and got the service manager involved. He looked into the problem and told me that the sound is resulting from the “emission system purge value self-test”. The first popping sound is opening the valve and the 2nd sound is closing. He insisted there’s nothing wrong on the car and the sound is normal on all 2002 E-class cars. I can understand the mechanism of what he’s describing but could not agree with the loudness of the sound. I drove other 2002 E-class and don’t think I ever heard this kind of noise. Do any of you guys owning the 2002 model ever experience this before? It would be disappointing that I have to either turn the music loud all the time to cover up this noise or learn to get used to it. I would really appreciate to get you guys’ opinion on this and what I can do next. Thanks in advance.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I don't have an E-Class but clearly that is unacceptable. I'd go back to the dealer and drive another with the service advisor and ask him where the so called normal noise is on that one. Some of these guys are real low lifes.
  • cce182cce182 Posts: 40
    First question. Is your E320 a wagon or a sedan? If a wagon, it is possible the sound has an easier time reaching the cabin (but this is pure guessing on my part). But, so what?

I'm suspicious of the solenoid "self test" diagnosis. Sure, when the car starts up, it goes through an "initialization" (something like 'booting' your computer) and goes through a number of self-tests, e.g. Airbags, ABS, and emissions-control systems, but I don't understand why the self-test would have to rattle on while you're standing still somewhere in traffic.

The difficult we face with ALL new cars, with their fancy electronics, emission controls, navigation, entertainment, ad nauseum, is that they are too technical for most retail service departments to keep abreast of their workings. They try, they get training and all that, but IMHO can't really keep up. I'm sure the "self-test" explaination was delivered with all sincerity, and I'm suspicious that it's probably wrong.

When they tell you that something you don't expect "is normal" and "all of the others in this MY year do this", they're basically admitting that they don't know what the problem is, don't know how to fix it, and are too lazy to call the zone manager. If purge valve self-test IS normal, then ask them to replace your valve with a quieter one, or replace the vibration isolation between the valve and the chassis (assuming there is any). Take mbnut1's advice. Also, try another MB service department. Where I live, MB service departments compete for your business.

Good luck
  • dzidzi Posts: 8
    The E-320 I have is a sedan. Service manager said this valve is inside the fuel tank and since they already replaced the tank once so they are not going to do anything more at this point. I don't know all these technical stuff and I just can't imagine an $50,000 car will have this knocking sound all the time when I stop the car in traffic. Everyone sit in my car all aware of this sound and I'm just too embarrassed to tell them this is normal to MB. I'm attaching the email from this service manager so you guys can tell if what he said make sense. I'm also in the process of contacting MBUSA and this dealership management. I'm still curious about other 2002 E owners comments if they can hear the same thing.
    =========================================

AS YOU HAVE REQUESTED. I AM WRITING THIS EXPLANATION OF THE EMISSION SYSTEMS PURGE VALVE SELF-TEST, AND RELATED SOUND OF THE DEVICE AS IT IS PERFORMING THIS TEST. THE SELF-TEST WILL BE CONDUCTED AT DIFFERENT TIMES WHILE DRIVING. THE VALVE IS AN ELECTROMAGNETIC VALVE AND MUST SEAL TIGHTLY TO CONDUCT THE LEAK TEST. THE SOUND OF THE VALVE OPERATING IS CONSISTANT WITH OTHER E320 MERCEDES BENZ OF LIKE YEAR. THE TEST WILL BE CONDUCTED WHEN THE FUEL LEVEL IS BELOW THE FULL LEVEL AND ABOVE THE EMPTY LEVEL. THE LEVEL OF FUEL IN THE TANK CAN CHANGE THE TONE OF THE VALVE AS IT OPERATES.
  • jsalemijsalemi Posts: 17
    This may sound like a dumb question, but what's the best way to clean & shine the wood trim in the cabin? A swipe with a damp rag? Same cleaner used for the vinyl? Windex? Pledge? Something else?

Thanks!
    ---joe
  • I have a question.. do they still have M-B Tex as an option on new Mercedes cars?
    Try good ol' Pledge on your wood trim. It's the best way to clean it and keep the shine.

I don't think the MB Tex vinyl interior is even an option in the U.S., except perhaps on the station wagon.