Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    clark217:

send me your email address and I'll send a message to you trying to describe the process..

Fred
  • clark217clark217 Posts: 25
    View my updated profile to see my e-mail address. Thanks for your trouble.

Clark217
  • I'm looking at buying this vehicle and would appreciate feedback from current OWNERS with the parnoramic roof option in a 2003 E-class. Pro/cons would be appreciated.

Also, thoughts on the Drive Dynamic Front seats vs. the Dual-Dynamic Multi-contour seats?

Is anyone getting this vehicle below invoice?

Thanks.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    A while back we were having a discussion about Mercedes' future engines. There is a very interesting article in the July Issue of CAR magazine about Mercedes' upcoming engines.

According to them some Mercedes execs feel that AMG doesn't have a unique enough strategy with their cars, so all of their future engines will be naturally aspirated, direct injection and of the big displacement variety, all making more power than todays supercharged engines.

The also stated that the supercharged V6 in the C32 and SLK32 will be dropped next year in favor of the naturally aspirated 5.5L V8 in the new CLK55 AMG. Interesting. Only the AMG V12 will have forced induction from 2005 onward. The current monster 5.5L supercharged V8 is due to be replaced by a direct-injection 6.3L V8 with close to 600hp!

There is still talk of a V10, also of large displacement w/direct injection. It was confirmed that C-Class is next Benz to get a facelift for 2004, mainly the interior (thank god). Still no mention of the "regular" engines yet, but going by all this direct injection/large capacity talk I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing Mercedes go backwards in hp like this did when they switched from 4-valve to 3-valve engines.

M
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    direction for Mercedes engines.

However, I have to observe that the current SLK32 isn't exactly the class leader in handling and steering. Replace the supercharged V6 with a 5.5 liter V8 that weighs more than BMW's 4.9 liter V8 in the M5, and it can't help but make matters worse. Even the CLK55 feels dull and overweight after driving the BMW M3.

Is Mercedes/AMG going further in the direction of "muscle car" mentality and leaving balance, handling and steering up to BMW and Audi?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I doubt that they'll give up on precision, the V8 is scheduled for the next SLK chassis not the current one. Though Mercedes' were never about beating BMWs at sheer handling precision, that just isn't their mission.

I personally never saw the CLK55 as a competitor to the M3, that was always the C32's place. I too wonder about about a V8 in a C-Class sedan, again. MB might not have a choice with the next M3 rumored to be V8 powered and cars like the CTS-V carrying V8s.

It will be interesting as you say to see how all of this turns out.

M
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Posts: 186
    Someone mentioned not to add any more gas to the tank after the pump first trips itself. Can you tell me why?
    I live in one of 2 states in the US that still mandates that an attendant pump the gas (no self-serve at all). Although I like this for the ability of having someone else do it, but they almost always insist on squeezing in more gas until the next even dollar amount is reached. Most are too dumb to realize that this is irrelevant if I'm paying by credit card (which they see in my hand).
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    Gas when stored underground is at a much lower temperature than in the gas tank of your car. To account for this, there is an error of margin left. However I dont think adding a few extra ounces will do any harm nor would it add anything to the attendant's pay.

I also know people who fill gas and do the same and always wonder why.
  • Which 2 states don't allow self service? That sounds wierd.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I pumped my own gas for 20 years before we moved to NJ, and found that I was suddenly retired from pumping my own gas. I too thought it was wierd, that said, I got used to it real fast. ;-) Now that we live in NH, I kind of miss having someone pump my gas, oh well. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • boo20boo20 Posts: 85
    DON'T overfill MBs tanks! The owners manual warns against this practice. Once the autoshutoff failed to work on my E class and when I removed the nozzle gas shot out under pressure. The car would start but not run properly for about 20 minutes until the excess gas was burned off (the engine kept cutting out). The dealer told me that an SL owner had overfilled the tanks once and this resulted in $5000 worth of damage.
  • enkkenenkken Posts: 10
    Has anyone test-driven E320 and E500 back to back? Extra amenities aside, is the larger engine in E500 provide enough increase in performance and comfort from E320 to justify the difference in price?
  • linardlinard Posts: 59
    Sorry for the late response, I haven't been checking lately, but here are some links on Mercedes' use of variable valve timing which started in the early 90s with the DOHC heads...

On the old 5.0 liter V8 from the 1992-1995 E500 -
    http://www.supercars.net/garages/PeP/12v2.html

On the current V6s (from 1999)-
    http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0372&P=4
    (from 2003)
    http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/newcarguide/16069720020723.html

On the old inline-6s -
    http://www.mercedesshop.com/300e.htm

On the old 2.3 liter inline-4 -
    http://www.benzforum.com/reviews/review_02.php

On the old C220's inline-4 -
    http://caranddriver.radicalmedia.com/member/bg/1995/luxury/merced- - esC.html

But yeah, they've been using this technology for years! Go Mercedes! Haha...
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,685
    I believe that (in NJ at least), the no self serve rule is an employment issue. By having pump attendants required, more jobs are created.

Are there any Boston area folks here who could talk about what they paid for their E? Anybody deal with MB of Westwood or VITI in Rhody?

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Thanks. In all the reading I've done on these cars I never picked that up. A guy I've worked with first mentioned the notion of variable valve timing over twenty years ago.
  • donk7donk7 Posts: 4
    I have owned both a new 2003 E320 and E500. The first had electrical problems that the dealer couldn't fix and they offered me a new car at no cost. I had ordered the same exact car. When the car came in, I decided to drive a E500 before taking the replacement E320. What a difference! Much quieter, smoother and much more powerful! I took the E500 and paid an additional $2800. Overall mpg is about 3 mpg less. However, the E320 felt like it was under powered and not very responsive at times. I had a 99 E320 that felt much peppier. For me, there was no choice! However, insurance is also higher on E500. Standard wheels are wider than Sport Pkg.
    There is an $8,000 difference between the base MSRP between E320 and E500. A few items come standard on the E500 that are optional on the E320, bringing the actual price closer together when comparing similarly equiped cars. But I am still curious as to how you got an E500 for only $2,800 more than an E320, assuming that the E500 wasn't stripped and the E320 loaded?? I would have thought the apples to apples difference in price to be more like $6,000.

I can't imagine anyone going for the E320 if they could get the E500 for only $2,800 more.
    E320 + Metallic Paint + E3 + 4Zone Climate Ctrl= $54,115

E500 + Metallic Paint + E3 + 4Zone Climate Ctrl= $57,945

Difference = $3,830

IMHO The E500 makes more sense.
    I get $57,600 or the E500 and $52,675 for the E320 ($4,925 difference) when I price the two cars equiped as you indicated. Perhpas I'm doing something wrong.

I do agree however, that even at nearly $5,000 more, the E500 is a relatively better deal. It is nominally more than a BMW 540i sport, whereas the E320 is substantially more than a 530i sport, which I consider a much better "drivers" car, albeit a bit smaller than the E. On the other hand, when afurther loaded E500 starts going into the $60k+ range, it seems to me the M5 or new E55 starts to look like a better deal, if that's not a contrdiction in terms at $70k+
    Did you price it manually? Or did you "Build Your Own" at mbusa? Please make sure there is no special order charge/configuration.

The prices I obtained above are from MBUSA.com- Build Your Own
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    While the diesel is coming (to all but 5 states), the Supercharged 3.2 V6 from the C-class would be a good engine for the E-class - good power, and better fuel efficiency. For now, the 500 seems to be the best choice. The car weighs too much for the V6.
    When is it expected in the US? 2004 model year?

I have noticed that 1998/1999 E-class turbodiesels are often selling as used cars in the DC area for as much or more than similar mileage E430 V-8's (well above E320 gas). I'm sure this is limited supply related, but the turbodiesel is a Mercedes strong suit.
  • cooley2cooley2 Posts: 1
    I just test drove my first MB, a 97 E320. It is an outstanding automobile, but under hard acceleration the transmission seemed to shift to the next gear a little differently than any other car I have driven. When it shifted to the next higher gear it felt like it slipped a little before it locked up. Almost like it was trying to shift more smoothly under hard acceleration. Is this normal or is it a sign of possible transmission problems? Thanks for the help!
  • benzownerbenzowner Posts: 20
     it's trying to shift more smoothly under hard acceleration. All our mercedes do that.
  • mtracmtrac Posts: 4
    Am considering one of these (41K miles/$28K). I own a 1995 Passat and am trying to avoid another German headache. Are they good cars? Beside the engine, are there major differences between this and the 320? Thanks.
  • benzownerbenzowner Posts: 20
    Yea more Horsepower and more standard features
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    They have a good headache report for the Benz by class by year in your local library. It's worth reading. None of the recent E's rate above 'average' in terms of reliability and maintenance issues. Similar to VW, maybe a little better, but not up with Lexus, Infiniti and BMW 5 series.
  • uesername: mbdriver, according to your past posts, you appear to have the knowledge I'm seeking. Currently I own a 1998 STS and looking at a 2000 E430 to replace it. While I love the STS it's begining to show it age at 120K. I really thing I like the E430 and wanted your input on the comparisons. Besides turning off and on the headlights, what will I miss.

I particularly like the accceraltion, handling, comfort, reliablilty, and sound system of the STS. How does the MB compare?

Also, I'm many things are better on the MB. What are the advantages and disadvantages to the MB.

Does anyone know if $32K for a 2000 E430 with 29K is a good deal. Sounded pretty good to me, but I've haven't shopped this car before.

Any input you may offer is greatly appreciated.
  • irvnirvn Posts: 11
    Auzivision:

I currently own a 2000 E430 that I have on the market for $35K with 23K miles. The car has the COMAND system, digital phone, and a 6CD changer. I think most of the issues with my E-class have been electrical, which seems to be consistent the MB from the C to the S class. I think the car is nice in terms of size, braking, etc. I guess one could just factor in a certain amount for electical components as the car gets older.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Wow, E430's with 30-40K miles for only 28-32K?? (Or 35K for irvn's 23K miles) You guys can't be in New England. Around here the dealers are asking 42-45K for animals such as those.. Even E320's are in the 35-38K range.. Course, all the above are Starmarked..
This discussion has been closed.