Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• hgphgp Posts: 11
    It's probably the third brakelight plastic cover that's come loose and intermittently banging against the rear window. I have the same noise and will try to get it fixed on my next visit to the dealer.
  • 1. Noticed on the '04 radio/nav a button labeled "Satellite". I assume it will be Sirius Satellite Radio. Must this option be factory installed or will the dealers add this at the service department?
    2. Will the factory installed Motorola V60 integrated phone w/ voice work with MY cellular provider's, (Verizon) network, or do I have to use one that MB specifies, and get an additional cell number for the car?
  • hey barry

where are u even seeing a picture on any of the 04 E series? been looking all over, can u post the link plz? thanks
  • My 1999 E320 has developed a rattle at the gear shift. The rattle occurs above 60 MPH. I can't tell whether it's coming from the gear shift or under the wood grain. Anyone had similar noise?
  • The brochures are available at the dealers. So is pricing. I sat in an 04, listened to the uplevel radio & saw the nav system. as the car had just come off the truck, the radio worked but the nav had not had the disc installed in it. NICE car! Will order one soon.
  • Microrepair, let me make sure I understand this: your '96 E Class has cost you about $4000 ("10 months of payments on a lessor car") in non-warranty repairs in 124,000 miles?

While not small change, especially for a retired fellow, this doesn't strike me as excessive for any vehicle driven this many miles over 7 years. What does the board think?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    IMO, $4,000 in "repairs" over 8 years and 124,000 miles for an E-class isn't too bad, but it's not great, either. By comparison, my 9 year old Nissan Maxima with 144,000 miles has had a total of $2,100 in repairs; however, all of those have occurred in the last 18 months and since 123,000 miles. Up until 123k, it didn't require a single repair, warranty or otherwise.

I am distiguishing between repairs and routine maintenance and wear items (I classify brake pads as maintenance, rotor replacement as repairs).
  • px260px260 Posts: 42
    $4000 for a 7 yr old German auto doesn't sound too bad, may be a little excessive compared to a reliable Japanese car. But then again, it depends on what you consider as routine maintenance vs. repairs. As habitat1 pointed out, if brake pads are considered as maintenance, by logic, rotor should be regarded as maintenance as well since they need to work together. This goes the same as wiper blades, tires, battery, fan belts, etc. I guess we should set a certain criteria to seperate the two catagories, maybe setting a time frame and mileage as limits. For instance, shock replacement after 100k would be "maintenance", not "repairs" items, given today's technology advancement in material science and manufacturing quality control, the shocks on MB cars really should last a lifetime (or there is no reason MB can't use lifetime guaranteed parts as some after market units are claimed for). Same argument for radiator, alternator, coils, etc. The only exceptions would be electronic components that have no moving parts. Just my $.02.
  • the wait list at my dealer is now at March and that's a MSRP, no negotiable room at all. is that what you guys are finding?
  • Any ideas on why there is such a wait list for the '04 E? I assume it's very similar to the '03 so it's hard to imagine a 6 month wait.
  • 4matic primarily. 03 didn't have it. so lots of ppl delayed their purchase. also 03 didn't come w/ a NAV.

although it could be just my dealer/region, i'm in NJ.
  • Anybody bought one from the dealer? For how many extra months? Did they sell it to you at the price printed on the brochure, or is it negotiable like everything else?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I wish the total maintenance cost of my 96 E320 was in the $4000 range.!! Actually, I was noting that in the last 6 months I've spent approx. $3000 for major repairs; shocks, tie rod ends, head gasket, water pump, front end bushings (sway bar, etc), timing belt. If I add up all maintenance including tires, brake pads (5 sets), front rotors (3 sets), spark plugs and wires, thermostats, etc.. the total is approaching $8000. And I'm not counting oil changes, air filters, etc since I do all that myself for the discounted cost of the parts. (I also have done brake pads and rotors a couple of times myself.) By doing some of the work myself I fugure I've saved close to $1000, so add that to the total if you have a mechanic do everything.

Until 15 years ago I never spent more than $8000 to BUY a car outright..! Now I'm spending that in repairs for one car.! (And my wife thinks I'm certifiably crazy to spend that much on repairs!) I think this amount would be excessive for a car that sold for under $30K new, but it may be justifiable for a $50K car. But I do enjoy the ride. It is still an impressive car that still looks great inside and out and handles and rides with the best.
  • boo20boo20 Posts: 85
    I purchaced an extended warrantee for my SL. If you purchase the MB plan you have to do it within the first year. There is little point in buying it sooner until you have lived with the car a bit and are sure you will keep it beyond the manufacturers new car warrantee period. You can warrantee it for no more than 100,000 total miles. This can be for 5,6,7 or 8 years so that would be 1, 2, 3 or 4 years beyond the original 4 year warrantee). These are all priced differently (of course). You can also choose between a Premium or basic plan (just drivetrain). Unfortunately the warrantee lists what MB WILL cover but not what they won't cover in repairs.

It is my understanding that if you sell the car before the end of the extended warrantee period you MAY get a pro-rated return of your money. The way it works, though, is not as you might expect. Lets suppose you buy, say an 8 year warantee (which includes the 4 year new car warantee and an extended warrantee for 4 years. If you sell the car after 5 years you don't get 3/4 = 75% of your money back. You would only get 3/8 = 37% back.

It's my understanding from this board that the price of the warrantee is negotiable.
  • cduongcduong Posts: 70
    Microrepair.. I believe that 96E320 has a timing chain, which I am told will last over 200K miles, so what is the timing belt you are talking about?
  • My experience when purchasing GM's MajorGuard extended warranty is that the 1st price asked for by the "finance guy" is twice what the dealership pays for the warranty...So anything between the 2 numbers (buying/asking) is the negotiating range. I would like to buy it on line from the lowest quoting dealer. Nice to know there are two levels of warranty, though. ...Anybody?
  • pecclespeccles Posts: 52
    Is the '04 E class an E350 with the new 3.7L
    V-6?
  • Microrepair, it is unfortunate that you got hit with most of these in the last six months. (This reminds me of the statistic that individuals run up 90% of their health care bills in the last six months of their lives).

Not to diminish your expenses nor increase the wrath of your wife, but I am surprised that you didn't have to replace or at least repair a leaking radiator and the electricals (e.g., battery, alternator, starter). I think that I would try to network a reputable, local electrical shop and radiator shop. These have got to be the next issues but if you get your components rebuilt yourself (probably even at the same place your MB dealer takes customer radiators and alternators--only the tooth fairy thinks an MB dealer has an radiator shop in his service department) you would be OK.

Just tell your wife that the market is still overvalued and that the Mass Sales Tax alone on a 35K certified used MB is $1750!
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The 04' V6 for the E is still the E320, 3.2L model. The 3.7L engine was just a stopgap effort until a new range of engines arrive for either the 05' or 06' model year. The 3.7L V6 was primarily done for the current S350 sold in Europe. They figured it would be good for the ML since it's an outgoing model too. The new V6 will probably appear in the E, C and CLK models for 05' or 06'.

M
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    cduong: You are absolutely right!! It was the serpentine belt that was replaced.

In the numbers I mentioned in my clarification post, I did not include any appropriation for the Starmark work that the dealer did before I took delivery. I bought the car one day after it came off a 2-year lease. So I've only owned it for 5 of its 7 years. The dealer installed new brake rotors, pads and tires on all four wheels. That would have been worth close to another $800 plus whatever else they did to prep it for Starmark. And then it also did not include the cost of the warranty work they did which came to approx. another $1100. So the true cost of the full 7 years (some of it paid for by MB) is nearly $10K...

blockislandguy: Yep, did the battery over 3 years ago and probably getting near time for another.. Also did all the cooling system hoses last year but so far no radiator problems. (Watch it leak next week now!!) $1750 would go a long way toward a trip to Ireland! Which is what my wife would prefer..!
  • That's what I like about these forums! The free exhange of Info! Good, Now I have to do my homework. Thanks to all! BTW the 2004 specs/ordering inf is available on the MBusa.com website starting today.
  • chaim3chaim3 Posts: 4
    When relying the proverbial weak links to certain mechanical components within the E class and the associated repair costs I'm surprised nobody has had issues with the air conditioner. My 2000 E320 required a new evaporator unit to the tune of $3,200. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon how you look at it) the car was just 5,000 miles off warrenty and M-B agreed to pick up $2K of this. Anyone else experience this repair??
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    The post by boo20 covered the details of the factory warranty extremely well. The more expensive choice reportedly covers about 90% of the original 4-year new car warranty.

The price of the warranty definitely IS negotiable. However, my own dealer would not budge from the $2600 or $2650 MSRP price for the extended warranty for my 2000 E320.

But thanks to posts on this forum, I finally purchased the premium 4-year/100,000 extended warranty for a price of $1680 from Courtesy Motors Auto Center in Chico, CA (I live in Northern Virginia). If you'd like a contact name and phone numbers, send me an e-mail.

The price probably has gone up since I bought mine in late March, 2001. But it's a pleasure to deal with them.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
  • it no longer includes leather, it doesn't have airmatic suspension, yet it is still $3800? price hike or am i missing something?
  • enkkenenkken Posts: 10
    MBUSA recently released 7G-tronic automatic transmission for all upcoming 8 cylinder models, including E500. I ordered an E500 wagon which is to be delivered in later October, but I noticed that this vehicle comes with "older" 5-speed transmission. Does anyone know why E500 wagons come with 5-speed when E500 sedans, in both std. and 4-matic, come with their new 7-speed transmission?
  • boo20boo20 Posts: 85
    I understand that the 4 matic models will carry over the proven 5 speed transmission for 2004. They will not get the 7G. I found out about this on another web site (or maybe MB newsgroup). MBUSA web site does not mention this one way or the other.
  • sfvassfvas Posts: 10
    I just repaired the Fan Regulator Unit in my 2002 E320, and I am SCARED when I finsih my 6/100,000 warranty. Maybe I'll need to go out and get the E550 Hybrid Turbo in 2006! hehehhehe
  • allygallyg Posts: 18
    I have a silly question to ask. I just bought a 2003 E320 last month with stone leather seats. The light color seats get dirty easily with my two young kids. Could anyone tell me where to get good car seat covers that are not too ugly? Or is there any other protective stuff I could use? Thanks a lot.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,596
    Yes the stone leather shows dirt but it's a shame to hide the leather; it's quite durable. Use a leather cleaner such a Lexol or Turtle wax once a month.
  • With all the bad publicity of the E class, there is nothing out there that embodies all the qualities of the E class. Just drove the new BMW 530I,Infinity G35, Acura Tl and although these are very nice cars, they is something lacking in all of them. Presently have a 2000 E class with 35,000 miles with only a sensor replace. Even with its deficiencies the E class is King. The Exterior styling and interior elegance is superior in appearance, not necessarily quality,but a class appearance.
This discussion has been closed.