Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    I had a new CD player installed yesterday under warranty. My '00 E40 has had 3 radio's and 3 CD players so far. Too bad M-B does not allow Toyota to manufacture their electronics.

The service manager said new brake pads are usually needed every 20,000 miles or so. The rotors should last 40-50,000 miles and he recommended new rotors be used. What is the usual cost for new front brake pads at the dealer?
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    About a week ago on my 2000 E320, my climate control system started acting up. First, the fan would not come on for a time, then all would be normal. Starting yesterday, the fan comes on, quits, starts again, changes speed, quits and repeats, all with no input from me. I also have no control over it using temperature or fan speed changes or going back to auto. All the visual indications appear to be normal and the compressor is normal.

Can anyone with similar experiences help? I'm going to call my dealer on Monday.
  • lhcleunglhcleung Posts: 24
    mbdriver: Thanks for the info on Zaino products. Yes, I am going to returning all the waxing kit I've got from Mercedes Benz. I will order some Zaino products rightaway. But could you please comment the procedure I intend to follow for applying the Zaino:
    1)clean the car with dish washing detergent;
    2)applying Z-1;
    3)applying Z-2 and
    4)wait for the waxing completely dry and remove with 100% cotton towel.
    Is that the right procedure? Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
    Louis
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    You got it right! Also, suggest you call or send an e-mail to Sal Zaino and ask if he has a Zaino distributor in your area. You'll get superb service if there is.
  • keyrowkeyrow Posts: 214
    I own a detailing business so please allow me to throw in my opinion. First, the real Zymol IS NOT cheap! Their quality products start at around $60.00 for 8 ounces. The stuff you find at WalMart is an imitation made by Turtle wax. Just look at the back label, if it says "Made in Chicago" it is Turtle Wax (which has purchased the rights to make a product using the Zymol name). "Zurtle" wax is indeed cheap, both from a monetary and quality standpoint.

I use Zaino on my own cars as well as offering it to my customers AND I provide a 3 month warrantee with it. I will re wax the entire car if the shine or protective functions fail within that time. I know there will be no claims because I redo my own Lincoln every 4 months with no adverse effects! I have total confidence in Zaino's products.

The primary difference between Zaino and Zymol is that Zaino is a synthetic wax, that is, it is man made. As such the qualities the "Designer" wants is made molecule by molecule. This is why it lasts so long and produces such an intense shine. Zymol is a "natural" carnauba wax. It produces a much "warmer" or subtler (if that is a real word) shine. It will also melt/evaporate if exposed to direct sunlight for any extended period of time. At best I would never go longer than 3-4 weeks without re waxing with Zymol. The choice of which is "better" is an individual one.

Please feel free to email me directly if anyone has any detailing questions. I have provided my personal email address in my profile so as not to confuse your questions with my business. Thanks for allowing a "lowly" Lincoln LS owner to post here (I am looking at the '03 E class to replace my wife's Infiniti).
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    A CLK killer or a sportier alternative to the E-Class even though it will be close to $62,000US? It is a go for production. Look at the list of couple models in the article. There are four publications reporting this. Any comments?

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/c219.htm
  • splitoesplitoe Posts: 19
    I had similar problem with air conditioner fan, which changed speed from time to time although the speed setting was manual. I took it to the dealership and the mechanics said it was normal. Upon my insist, the service adviser asked the service foreman, who took a quick look and immediately pointed out the fan regulator needed replacement. It has been working properly since
    I also had whitles from fan and the speed flutuated, but no rattles though. The mechnics claimed it was normal but the foreman pointed out the culprit - fan regulator control unit.

Now I have new problems, the center vents sometimes stay shut and will work normal again in a few minutes. Took the car to the dealership, but they couldn't service it if the vents work properly at that time. Have to go there more ofter, I guess.

E320 is a great and balanced car, I really enjoy driving it. Just wish it were as reliable as my Toyotas.
    I got my 2001 E320 in May 2001 at a price of $2000 below invoice (a hard bargain and a lot of homework). No dealer installed options. I live in Southern California, and I read one ad recently for $10000 below MSRP (don't know the detail though).

Since I have so many problems with my E320, I would avoid a 2003 E320. Buy it now or wait a little bit for 2004 model.
  • bmms8bmms8 Posts: 86
    i also live in so cal, the dealers nearest to me is mb san diego, and escondido, i have a deposit on a e500, but i want a good deal, if anyone would offer one
    I bought from Flether Jone in Newport Beach. The ad I saw was for a dealership in north LA. Do your home work first (I prescribe 3 car magzines)
    and know everything about the car and try your luck. Sometime it is all timing.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Posts: 186
    Firstly, I want to chip in my thanks to Keyrow for his pro opinion on Zaino/Zymol. I had no idea there was fake version of it. I think you may have tipped me toward trying the Zaino, although that part about the Dawn wash gives me pause for some reason.
    I wish I had a pro detailer in the family. I used to do a bit of it on the side for extra cash, and it was brutal work for what I was charging.

Valueguy: in case you haven't gotten any more brake job pricing info...my dealer quoted about $550 for the front pads, rotors, and labor.
    I had my local mechanic do the same job for about half that using genuine dealer parts (though it took half the day just to get the parts delivered). The parts themselves are rather pricey themselves, but I'm hesitant to use aftermarket stuff.
  • The worldwide website of MB now has an interactive demo. Very interesting. At least the Germans have an in-dash CD player, as well as the option of an in-dash CD changer!

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/mbd/html/interak_betriebsanl/e_klasse/betriebsanleitung_start.html

• 96e32096e320 Posts: 5
    The first fault code said the Air Mass Meter was bad so I replaced it. On the way home from the shop the light came on again. This time the scanner showed No Faults, but the tech still replaced the Air Mass Meter thinking maybe it was bad to begin with. A couple weeks go by and now the light is back on. Havn't taken it back yet. Gas cap is on tight. Car seems to run fine. I remember seeing an earlier post concerning this pesky light, but do not recall the number. Any help would be appreciated.
  • mynextcarmynextcar Posts: 30
    I am in the market for my next car and narrowed down to the two. Has anyone compared 530 with 320? If you have, can you share your thought? What was the factor for going with 320? Thanks in advance!
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    For your info, When I logged to this page yesterday and today it was in italic and could not identify my ID and password. To get it right I had to log on through the back door i.e. The Owners Club. It is me only or someone inoculated this page with a schizophrenic bug =:)
    Jean
  • bg1981bg1981 Posts: 2
    I am in Germany for a couple of months where the new E -Class, and CLK as well, is out and about (some already in service as taxi cabs!). A little different than what will come to America (Smaller and more diesel powered variants). I have got the chance to take a look at them up close. As a BMW driver I must say that I am very impressed. The new design seems very elegant and the interior is a definate upgrade from current models. Although I do like the new instrument cluster, I do not like the idea of putting a clock in to replace the tach. I guess sporty was not what MB was emphasizing. Just thought I would chime in with my two cents.
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    For "my next car" (#3497). I bought the E320 because it has more room inside and better storage areas. Both are great cars. The BMW handles a little better -but not much.

The E model will undergo a change in the '03 model comming to the US in a few months. You might want to hold off and make another comparative test until then.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That's very strange. I have heard no other reports of that.

Yesterday there was a change of servers (I think it was yesterday?) Maybe somehow you got caught up in that and it won't happen again.

However, if it does happen again (or any other strange event), go to the Help link at the top of this page and find the Feedback form link to report it.

Glad you found your way in, anyway!

Pat
    Sedans Host