Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• footiefootie Posts: 636
    It might help you get some insight into other's experiences (and check similar on BMW boards).

As always, once you locate a specific vehicle, get the service records and give significant thought to an extended warranty.

MB (and BMW) parts and service are extrordinarily pricey and plan on frequent maintenance of even fairly recent (2000-2003) used ones.

Good luck
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Posts: 243
    re: "Good gas mileage, but much less than I expected for the diesel."

Watch your mileage climb as the engine is broken in, which takes considerable time. My VW TDI's mileage was still climbing slightly at 75,000 miles. It has over 100,000 now and is flattened off.
    Most of your gains will show up in the first 30k miles.
    But 35 MPG in a car like that is nothing to sneeze at, especially with an automatic transmission!
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    with a '98 and '01 E320:

The '98 had to have the entire transmission replaced - under warranty. Other than that, a few minor problems and ran great for 5 years.

The '01 (I bought an addl. 4yr extended warranty when new) 3 years running no problems. Only oil changes.
  • josterholtjosterholt Posts: 11
    I have been told that Mercedes is discontinuing their installations of Motorola TDMA V60 phones, and moving to GSM. I have a new E 320, and am looking for any information about the new phones. Has anyone heard anything about this new phone, and which of the GSM Motorola phones they are going to use?

Thanks,

Jack
  • lcd1lcd1 Posts: 147
    Just a suggestion. I think the CDI is in a class by itself. Please ignore this suggestion if such a forum is already created.
  • tomotomotomotomo Posts: 57
    I agree with lcd1 regarding a new thread for the E320 CDI.
  • tvo1tvo1 Posts: 9
    I just purchased 2004 Black/Black with premium package for 52800. I am in So. Cal. Is it a good price?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,610
    Is that you out-the-door price? What was the sticker on your car, i.e., what does it have on it?
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Posts: 21
    How does everyone like the panorama roof? How much does it open up? Does it open up in the back too? Does it have sunshades, or how does their cooling mechanism work? Do you think it is worth the $1500? Thanks.
  • dgaskin1dgaskin1 Posts: 1
    I owned a 2000 E-320 4matic and the steering groaned whenever i turned the wheel while stopped.M/B could not fix it,7 repair orders.They just bought it back as a lemon
  • stephenjfstephenjf Posts: 4
    I can purchase either a 1998 White E320 or a 1997 "pewter" E320 for $15k, both have 75k miles and clean Carfax. A mechanic opined that the 1998 would be preferable. What do you think? Am I overpaying?
    In connection with my preceding message about buying a used 97 or 98 E320, Warranty Warehouse offered me a 36mo/36k warranty "Silver" warranty for $1900 ($100 dedcutible). Anyone have experience with this outfit? Sure would appreciate some advice - I've never bought a used MB.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Not a bad price. Get the '98
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Tough choice, IIRC, the 1997 was the last year of the I6 gas engine, which was replaced by the V6 in 1998. From my perspective, I'd rather have the silky smooth I6 versus the slightly less refined feeling (but slightly more powerful) V6. The only other issue was that MB used to have a few age/mileage related head gasket problems with the 3.2 liter I6, however, I believe they had that issue cleaned up long before 1997.

Other than that, it's a toss up, in theory at least, the 1998 should have a higher resale value (all options being equal, which in that car was anything but assured).

Let us know what you do.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    In connection with my preceding message about buying a used 97 or 98 E320, Warranty Warehouse offered me a 36mo/36k warranty "Silver" warranty for $1900 ($100 dedcutible). Anyone have experience with this outfit? Sure would appreciate some advice - I've never bought a used MB.
    Conventional wisdom suggests that you should put the $1,900 in a bank account somewhere and draw upon it when repairs are necessary. My bet is that 9 times out of 10 you will most probably sell the car before the account is exhausted. If you do decide to opt for the warranty, look long and hard at who is behind said warranty. All too often you hear from folks that have extended warranties from other than the manufacturer itself, that a claim was denied due to a loop-hole in the language of the warranty or some other technicality. That is of course assuming that the warranty company is even still in business by the time you actually do have a claim.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch an extended warranty with a ten foot pole. My advice; save your money, find a good local mechanic and enjoy your new ride. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    In the past, I would generally agree with you about "not touching an extended warranty with a 10 foot pole" as it pertains to a new car. My 1995 Nissan Maxima didn't have its first "repair" until 120k miles. I doubt I will go for an extended warranty on my 2004 Acura TL, even though it is loaded to the gills with electronic gizmos.

However, after hearing from a friend that his E420 transmission replacement would have cost him over $5,000 had it not been covered by a 7 year 100k mile extended warranty (it occurred around 75k miles), perhaps it's worth considering in this case. My concern with aftermarket warranties is the quality of the company behind them. I'd hate to find out that they would require you to go to Ralph's garage to get that $5,000 transmission replacement done for $3,000.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    I know Starmark MB's tend to cost more (coming from a dealer) but there are some cars that they'll Starmark and some they won't (or can't).

If you are concerned about expensive maintenance, I'd suggest you consider the value of the MB Starmark program. It's usually good to 100K. After that you are on your own (as I remember).

Otherwise the 'put the money in the bank and pray' strategy is a good choice.
    and for a trade on my year-and-one half E320 with under 15000 mi., I was offered $36K on trade.

Wow, what an eye opener; the resale of Benzes have really taken a dive!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I wouldn't use the trade in at 1.5 years as indicative of low resale value. You always hear that driving the car off the lot costs you 20%. Except in the cases of limited edition cars where demand exceeds supply (i.e. perhaps for the 2005 E320 CDI), trading or selling a 1.5 year old car that cost $50k+ new will cost you, regardless of make.

If it makes you feel any better, check out the resale values of BMW 745i's or S classes.
    I opted for the 1997, rather than the 98. The 97 was a single owner car, the owner was selling the car and it had been well taken care of. The 98 had a oil leak, a broken sunroof, worn suspension that needed replacement, etc - about $2300 of repairs. The 97 was perfect. And based upon my test drives, I agree with you that the I6 drove smoother than the V8. Thanks alot for the advice. Stephenjf
    Congratulations on your new ride. ;-)

I was working for MB-USA back in 1995 when the new W210 model that you now have came out, I was totally impressed by the car then, and continue to be to this day.

Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I hate to put a cloud over your parade, but MB did not take care of the head gasket issue on the I6 long before 1997. My 1996 needed the gasket work done at 115K miles (and a water pump at the same time!) for approx. $1700... In spite of that, I bought a 2001 2 months ago, mostly because the price was so much less [$9K] than the 96 was (both had the same mileage; 38K, and were within a few months of the same age) and I think the V6 is just as smooth and is actually quieter. And so far it is slightly better on gas too; about 1-2 mpg better.

On the upside, there is no guarantee that your I6 will need a head gasket; only a percentage of them ever get there. And any E-class is a fine ride.. Enjoy it..!!

Re: the extended warranty discussion; my 96 had over 3 years of warranty including the 1-year Starmark and on the 2001, I bought an additional 2 years (almost 4 years total) of Starmark to ensure that I get coverage up to the 100K mark. Well worth the $1200, since repairs on my 96 under warranty would have cost me over $2K. I would avoid the after market extended warranties; haven't heard much good news on them..
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    What is the longest Starmark warranty that you can buy?
  • dezdez Posts: 6
    I was looking hard to buy either the bmw 5 series, or possible/probably a E320 04 or 05 and was leaning towards the 04 b/c of the included maint.

The more I read the more worried I get here, it seems a lot of problems mech. and otherwise are being brought up continually here. Did I pick a bad time to get into my 1st Mercedes? Would the 04 or 05 be the better buy reliability wise.

I first thought, that of course people don’t really post that quickly if they are generally happy with their E's but when someone has a problem they are quicker to post - is it optimism for me to think that the complaints are a small minority of the overall ownership? Or should I just pass and wait until Mercedes clears up these perceived/actual problems? Any info appreciated..
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Posts: 98
    My '04 (loaded E500) has been problem free. It has been my most enjoyable car ever.
    Ditto for my '03 E320. There have been no real or major service issues. It is like a rock and very reliable.
  • dezdez Posts: 6
    The more research I do the more flags come up - I google "mercedes user forums" and 3 or so sites on the 1st page of results are complaint sites for MB's - I tried it with bmw and cadi's just to check and see if all would come up like that and they came up without the "lemon" complaint sites. I wish I knew what % of owners of recent years have had bad experiences.

grrr
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You do have to keep in mind that there is no user forum, nor group of user forums (fora?), that presents a statistical sample of owners. And comparing the different groups of forums by vehicle doesn't somehow give you reliable statistics about a vehicle for the same reason.

I'd suggest that you look for data sources that do present statistical samples before abandoning any vehicle in which you are interested. Maybe they will agree with what you are seeing in the forums or maybe they won't, but my thought is that you owe it to yourself to include such data in your research.
This discussion has been closed.