Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    As an owner of a 2001 E320 w/Starmark,when I read the warranty it covers items NAMED in their warranty. Anything NOT NAMED is not covered.
  • zevikzevik Posts: 1
    i have a couple of questions, perhaps someone can help me out. I just got a 2005 E500 and was wondering first does it integrate with Ipod? and second the seat belt keep beeping if it's not on, is there any way to turn it off?
  • sjeedsjeed Posts: 41
    On the iPod question, there is an iPod Integration Kit forthcoming for the E class (as well as other MB models). The Kit has just come out so far for the new M class. I called the dealer yesterday and they believe that it will be available very soon, but do not know exactly when, yet.
  • ray00edmray00edm Posts: 12
    MB's E class's front is a copy from the OLD lexus GS430. Many Lexus fans are outraged by this but I don't see anyone here talk about it. It is a good thing that GS had abandon the old design. A few years from now, people might just forget about this.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    MB's E class's front is a copy from the OLD lexus GS430. Many Lexus fans are outraged by this but I don't see anyone here talk about it."

Thats because this isn't even close to being true. The E-Class has had bascially the same front end design since 1996, long before the 1998 GS430 came out. The 2003 model is just a evolution of the them. The reality of it is that Lexus took cues from the 1996 for their 1998 GS by giving it a similar design in the front.

I haven't seen anyone since 1998 make such a claim until now, ain't no Lexus fans been able to much such a ridiculous reach to be outraged about something that isn't true.

M
    Sorry I meant MB 2003 E copied from old GS400. Not GS430.

By the way, I checked and rechecked, the 2003E looks a lot more like GS400 then the 1996E. Everybody agrees with me right? You can use the USED CAR information on this very website. They got photos of 2003E and GS400 both facing left. The similarity is unbelievable. The number one cue is that the shape of the head light cover.

I know this is a MB fan forum but we have to face the truth. Since GS400 is rarely seen, MB might think they can get away with it. However, my neighbor owns a GS300, which looks like GS400. I think that car is great looking, but I hate the change they made for the GS430. Lexus has this tendency to update great design to bad design. Example, RX330 is more ugly then RX300.
    " Everybody agrees with me right?"

Nobody agress with you because there is nothing to agree on. What you fail to realize is that the E-Class got its current look in 1996 before the 1998 GS came out. Period. The current E is just an update of the 1996-2002 design it it doesn't look like no lame Lexus GS.

"Since GS400 is rarely seen, MB might think they can get away with it."

What?

"However, my neighbor owns a GS300, which looks like GS400."

Uh..that is because its the same car different engine!

M
  • This is the 3rd time I got Check Engine Light on my 1997 Mercedes E320 (about 80K miles). The first time it went away in 2 weeks - before I got a chance to have it checked out. The next time I took it to a service shop (not a dealer) and he charged me $98 to read the code. He came up with P1070, the mass air flow meter needed replacement and the cost would be about $550. I thought I will do some comparison shopping before putting down that much money. Then the light went off by itself.

Now it's back again. Any recommendation? Should I get the part and replace it myself? Should I go back to the shop and give him $550?
    Some nice pics:

All the E's:

The last 3 generations:

My favorite E is the one in the rear most part of the picture, the vaunted W124.

Here the W124 is the first E to the right.

M
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Do you know the MYs of the ones in the top two?
    Not offhand I'd have to look those up they're way before my time :)

M
  • I had a 1992 300E 2.6. It was very solid. When I washed it, no water would get inside the door seals. I should have kept that one longer..... :)
  • rablakerablake Posts: 16
    Hello - Took my 2001 E Wagon in for 'B' Service the other day and the service department neglected to reset the computer: the dashboard still says I am overdue for B Service and is incrementing the days. This is the nearest dealership to me and I would rather not spend a couple of hours driving and getting the computer tweaked.
    Can this be done remotely by MBUSA? Can a local private mechanic make the adjustment? If I wait until I happen to be back near the dealer will/can my car "turn me in" to MBZ thinking I have neglected the work which was done? :surprise: Thanks.
  • javadogjavadog Posts: 1
    This is a dumb question, I know, but a neighbor wants to sell me his 2005 E320. He claims it is a 4 matic but I can find no indication on the vehicle that it is. Is there a tag or special controls that would indicate if it was 4 matic or rear wheel drive? Thanks for your patience with the Mercedes rookie . . . .
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    Had the battery changed in my 2000 E320 by Mercedes yesterday. This morning put 3 windows down, they would not go up. Had to pump the switches, press them repeatedly, to get them to eventually go up. I called Mercedes, and he said they windows had to be "resynchronized" (can't remember the exact word he used", and I would do this by putting each window all the way down, hold the button for 3 extra seconds. Then put it all the way up and hold the botton for 3 seconds.

Of course this didn't work, so now I've got to bring it back. Overall I like my car, but by paying extra to have a battery changed at Mercedes, shouldn't I expect them to do whatever the heck is necessary to get the windows to work???

If anyone has any comments on this mechanically, please let me know.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,911
    javadog, i understand that all 4matics produced since late 1999 have had the 4matic tag in back. some of the late 1990s 4matics did not have the tag, but MBenz discovered that their 4matic customers really wanted the tag. AWD cachet, ya know. on a 2005 i expect if someone had removed the 4matic tag they would also have removed the E320 tag. or was the car ever crunched in back!? on the 4matics there's a transfer case under the car somewhere - but i'm not sure if it would be visible to you considering the 'covers' MBenz uses under their engines for whatever reason (some say to catch dripping oil!)... cheers...
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Posts: 114
    "Of course this didn't work, so now I've got to bring it back. Overall I like my car, but by paying extra to have a battery changed at Mercedes, shouldn't I expect them to do whatever the heck is necessary to get the windows to work???"

Yes, you do have a right to expect them to do a complete job. There is no real excuse for returning your car to you in this state.

"If anyone has any comments on this mechanically, please let me know."

I know that a resync procedure exists, but don't remember it. Check your owners manual before taking the hike back to the dealer. If your dealer is similar to mine (and this experience echos my typical visit) they know less about the car than you do.

Good Luck,
    BigRob.
  • mezecamezeca Posts: 66
    The way you resynchronize the windows it to run them all the way down in manual lower mode(the first switch detent), then run them all the way up in manual mode. When the window reaches the top and stops, proceed to hold the button all the way down(second detent) for 10-15 seconds. You will know it's synchronized if the express up feature works.
    You may have to repeat a couple of times to get it to work.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    That worked. Thanks very much.
  • I do not believe one can compare the Lexus to a MB. The Lexus brand is a creation of Toyota for the US market. I have a toyota crown (ls430) which cost almost 30% less in Jamaica than the ls430 in the US. Same car . Toyota is NOT a luxury brand. They make inexpensive, reliable car for the masses. Can someone tell me one item that toyota has invented. MB, BMW will never be as reliable because they are at the forefront of tech. Toyota waits, irons out the mistakes and put forward the more reliable car. Nothing is wrong with that. There may not be a more reliable car than a MB turbo diesel however.
    Japanese priorities are reliability then comfort
    Europe...Safety then performance/Luxury
    US.........Price

If you know you will be in an accident would you be safer in a LS430, S500 or 745Li
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    I do not believe one can compare the Lexus to a MB. The Lexus brand is a creation of Toyota for the US market. I have a toyota crown (ls430) which cost almost 30% less in Jamaica than the ls430 in the US. Same car . Toyota is NOT a luxury brand. They make inexpensive, reliable car for the masses..

You make some interesting and valid points.

As to Lexus reliability, I am having several problems with my brand new Lexus RX330; problems that turn out to be systemic throughout the model line. From my experience and research, I'd say that their quality is slipping.
  • jhs4jhs4 Posts: 3
    Situation: buying a 500 that the local StL. dealer had to get from out of town

- the car ended up having 250 miles on it

What do you recommend I seek...if anything from the dealer given the miles (and yes this is the car I want and do not wish to wait for another delivery)? What is reasonable and "standard" if there is any reasonable requests (dollars off / options added, etc.).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Dollars off? Probably nothing.

As a rule, the only concession in a case like this is that they add the mileage at delivery to your warranty, so your warranty will now expire at 50,250 miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • acenjacenj Posts: 58
    Guys,

I was all set to get an "M" series infiniti till my brother said, 50K on a infiniti - go check out the "E". Well, I drove the E320 4matic (very nice), then made the mistake of driving the E500 4matic (WOW).

Any thoughts on what to do? I could get the E500 (2005) for close to what i can get a E350 (2006), both would be 4matics. What kind of mileage are you guys getting with the E500 4matic?

thx in advance.

Aceman
    I am expecting to take the delivery of an E350. I need advise on the following:
    1. What is the price of the extended warrantee? It is more then $4k here. Is it worth it? 3rd party extended warrantee mostly does not serve CA for some reason.
    2. Should I pay the "IP? participation fee" of $500? What kind of charge is this? Why isn't this part of the car price?
    3. How is the IPod adaptor? Any good? If I want it, the best way is to have it installed before the delivery to have 4 year warrantee.
    :confuse:
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Where is the best price from MB dealer?
  • scotnmelscotnmel Posts: 1
    My 97 e320 says lamp malfunction when I turn on the head lights.I checked all lights and they are all working. HELP!!!
  • rick1rick1 Posts: 12
    Check your license plate lamps - that's where mine was hiding
  • hjtw888hjtw888 Posts: 5
    Had key malfunctioning problem on my 99E320 at 40K miles.
    When key is in ignition and turned, cannot fire up the engine. The starter keeps cranking without you holding the key.
    My friend experienced similar problem with his ML and said there is a malfunctioning chip inside the key and not recognized by the engine resulting in sending an engine kill signal to disable the car, an anti theft design. He ordered new key from the dealer with programing at total $120.
    Drove to wife office to get 2nd key and it worked and fired up the engine. After that, the first key also worked.
    A week later, it happened again. Now both keys don't work. Stranded at night, called MBZ 24 hours service. Operator instructed to use manual key to lock and unlock the door, then use the original key to start again. Won't work and MBZ operator now says it is the fuel injector/engine not getting gasoline and the car must be towed to MBZ dealership for repair.
    As there is no dealership service open at Saturday night, return to car after dinner, 3 hours later. Using original key, the car started, and the second key also worked.

What seems to be the problem? The keys, or the engine will start only when cold or 2-3 hours after the engine cools down?

Someone also suggested in case of car computer problem showing malfunctioning display, disconnect the battery and reconnect after 5-10 minutes. The computer will reset itself. Would that solve some of the problem?
  • shoeboxshoebox Posts: 4
    You should get the car checked out and have a mechanic see what kind of trouble code it's throwing out. It could be a be anything. I'm not a professional mechanic, but my guess would be the 'crank sensor'.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.