Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• Buy a Lexus.
  • acenjacenj Posts: 58
    Hey scooby,

You've got to be one of the only guys i've ever heard complaining about acura's nav. Its one of the BEST nav's in the industry!

aceman
  • scooby6scooby6 Posts: 9
    I hear that too, and I'm sure it's great, but the MB screen just looks so much better than the Acura's. A much more crip, clear picture - WHEN IT'S WORKING.
  • pguptapgupta Posts: 6
    The dealer flashed the software for the alternator. Saying that the software was old. After 10 days, this morning after about 300 miles...the same message comes back on. So I take it in. The advisor says he may have to replace the battery or the alternator..am waiting to hear from them. Any one with similar problems or has an advice.
    Have a 17K 2004 ES 330 Lexus and a 3K 2005 E320. I have been to Lexus dealer for only scheduled service. And MB like 5 times, for SBC pump noise damper issue and Low Battery problems, still unsolved. I am thinking why the hell did I plunk money to buy E320 when I could have just bought another LEXUS.

Hope the new CEO will fix quality issues in the future..But what about suckers like me who bought them already?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The two things you mention should have been covered in the recent recall of the E-Class and other models, especially the low-battery problem.

M
    The noise damper issue..solved. The Low battery - the software update was made..but the indicator still came back on. So am still waiting..the car is in the shop.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    I was up for a 2006 e3504matic wagon but have been told the electronic brakes are still a major problem.
    Because of that I may stay with my S430 4matic and ML. Both excellent.

Comments please
  • acenjacenj Posts: 58
    I have a 2005 E500 4matic and while its a weird feeling, you get used to the brakes. This is another area where mercedes obviously felt the need to develop something that's totally useless IMO but what do i know, kind of like putting a fiber optic network in the car that doesn't work properly (model year 2003). Its just another thing you can add to the list, like setting a analog clock with a digital display - NOW THAT MAKES SENSE!

aceman
  • lessbslessbs Posts: 13
    I have a 1999 Lexus GS300, bought new. I have done nothing to it except scheduled maintenance, new battery and new tires. The new GS 300 is ok, but still under-powered, and they took the trunk away-not as good as the car I have. I test drove the Infinity M35 and M40, but really am not in love with it's looks. I'm 6'3" and can't fit into the 5-series BMW. I am seriously considering either the E350 Sedan or CLK350 2dr Coupe, but am getting scared reading the problems people are having with these cars. I thought it would be fun to order the car for delivery in europe, but am having second thoughts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • harley3harley3 Posts: 10
    I had one installed at a local stereo shop for under $300 including labor and unit
    Chicagoland Area
  • harley3harley3 Posts: 10
    I would suggest shopping on line and doing the install yorself ..... I replaced on ein my 1998 E300d .... It was under $200.00 and only took 20 minutes to make the swap . Old out and he new one in ......... Just my opinion ..
  • I have a 2001 E320 and I am replacing the MXV4 plus tires. So confusing..., any suggestions. I know the new MXV4 have been changed. Discount tire and MB dealership swear by them, but people love the Turanza's, Also Michelin has the new Pilot Exalto A/s with new maybe better technology. I always feel like I'm getting sold instead of good advice. Any good real world advice? Thanks.
  • sailsail Posts: 17
    1998 E300 Have been a Michelin fan for over 25 years. After a harrowing experience with the MXV4 tires I switched to TURANZA. I will never buy a Michelin tire ever again. Well pleased with ride, handling, and wear with the Turanza, would highly recommend. :)
  • Thanks, I've been a Michelin fan too, but the car got went sideways in a slow turn in very little water. I couldn't believe it. Is yours a similar experience?
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Wife had a clk and it had no problems, except one switch one time.....I am a bit confused myself as to the number of complints with Mercedes...I think they are very nice cars.....I do not think I would get a european delivery....I think I would go to your local dealer, and if they treated you with repect and you settled on a car, I would make it part of the transation that if there were any serious problems you got a loaner until your car was fixed to your satisfaction.....I think the dealership would make all the difference....If you felt in any way the dealership was not a quality one, I would not buy that brand no matter what.....Tony
  • lessbslessbs Posts: 13
    Thanks for the response. I think you arrange the european delivery by buying thru the local dealer and dealing with them. This should result in developing the same relationship as if the car was delivered locally. I now live in Seattle, but am considering moving to the Bay Area. It may be best to buy down there after I finally make up my mind.

Thanks again for your advice,
    Ron
  • sailsail Posts: 17
    :cry: Slow turn,dry pavement, sidewalls collapsed and two tires deflated. Had to drive home on one deflated tire which of course was ruined. Never again I felt the sidewalls were too soft to give easy ride.
  • My '96 E320 has 65K miles on it. I like it but after reading reviews about MB I always wonder when it starts giving me problem(s). I found a local shop which has 2 guys who used to work for MB dealership. They do a VERY good job at a VERY reasonable price. They told me that my inline 6 has a 50/50 chance of head gasket problem and they are surprised that there is no recall, they said that probably not related to safety. Other than that the '96 inline 6 is a very good car. Statistically , Lexus would be more reliable, does not mean that it's trouble free. My '87 Camry has 190K miles and NEVER been in garage due to problems, only for maintenance, and I do most the light work myself. It has been VERY VERY reliable. So.... for my next car I would consider Lexus 430 sedan, but not until I have 300K miles on my E320 so I cross my fingers...
  • I have a '96 E320 with 65K miles on it. I like it, but after reading so many reviews about MB's quality I always have a concern about when my car will give me problem(s). luckly I found a local shop which has 2 guys who worked at MB dealer shop before (20 yrs & 10 yrs), they do a VERY good job at a VERY reasonable price. They are surprised that MB has not had a recall on head gasket problem with inline 6. Other than that inline V6 MB is a very good car according them. They told me that there is a 50/50 chance that my car's head gasket will leak, just a matter of when and how much. They also told me that if it just small leaks then nothing to worry about, if it drips on the floor then consider replacing the head gasket, even after changing it, there is no guarantee that it wouldn't occur again. Statistically, Lexus will give offer more reliability, does not mean trouble free, my '87 Camry has 190K on it and still doing OK, body started to rust but it has been VERY reliable, NEVER had any problems, just regular maintenance and I do most of the work myself. So.... my next car most likely would be Lexus 430 sedan, but not until my MB reaches 300K and beyond.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,647
    Hi, Ridge:

I have an '05 Acura TL which comes with the Bridgeston Turanza EL42 tires. I don't know if these are the same as you're considering buy my MAJOR CAVEAT is snow performance: in a word, POOR! I'm in Boston, so snow is a fact of life (not to mention I'm a skier in ME, NH and VT). I've driven FWD all my life with all-season's and never had a problem, 'till this past winter. The only thing that kept me on the snowy road was common snow-driving sense, the Acura's traction electronics and probably luck. In standing water, I think they hydroplane fairly easily too.

So, if you're in a snow belt, I'd avoid these tires or plan on snows (as I may)...

Really like the E350, tested an E320 but (New England frugality always wins with me, unfortunately) I just didn't see the E as $20k more car than the TL. Kinda galling that with MB (or BMW, Audi, all Europeans, I guess) you have to pay extra for metallic paint, HID headlamps, heated seats, sunroof, etc. whereas with the TL you get it all.

Still every time I see an E, well, I want one. I'm so cheap!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Replaced tires on my 2001 E320 Sport ---235/45/17---w/ Pirelli P Zero Nero's. Had Michelin XGT4's. Like night and day.Great all around tire. Do the research @ Tirerack.com. No comparison.Not sure that the Pirelli's come in the 16" but worth a try. Also they are lower price. Got the best deal @ Discount Tire.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    After what seemed like a very long hiatus, this board seems to be filling up with quite a few posts which unfortunately continue the saga of Mercedes quality problems, now apparently afflicting the new E350. This is really too bad, and while there are likely to be some/many E350 owners with no complaints, these types of reports simply fuel the fire which is that Mercedes has really fallen flat on its face on quality. I have been hanging on to my 97 BMW 528 - which has been a good car - trying to drive and evaluate all of the new LPS models (GS, M, E350, RL, STS, 530, A6, etc). I've driven them all except the Audi and have found that each has its set of pluses and minuses (some are personal choice issues), and that none is perfect. After driving the E350 I was very impressed except for the lack of ventilated seats and XM radio (don't want Sirius). I spoke candidly with the Merc salesperson about all of the recent quality issues and he assured me' that, yes, they had been a problem, were mostly electrical nits, and had been of great concern to HQ and had been fixed for the E350. Apparently not. At this point, I plan to hang on to my 528 (128Kmiles) and wait to drive some upcoming but very dissimilar models, both Lexi: the IS350 and the LS460. Given what is happening with fuel prices, I may factor that in too. Appreciate fora like this to get the 411 from real owners.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    Placed the Pirelli P Zero Nero's (summer tires) on my '03 530i SP and love'em! Very good dry and wet performance. Also, not noisy (yet!). Recommend on-car high-speed balance and nitrogen vs. air in the tires.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I had to buy two replacement snows 2 years ago for my 2001 E with 16" rims and like Shipo, I ended up with Michelin Alpin on one axle and two older Nokia tires on the other axle. The Nokias are excellent on fresh snow but noisy on dry pavement. On the other hand the Michelins are excellent on snow and very quiet on dry pavement. I'd recommend the Michelins. For rims, I got a set from TireRack 6 years ago (originally for my '96 E) made by Borbet. I have done what you plan to do; use the factory wheels for the snow tires; I figure the factory wheels will stand up better to the road salt, etc. The Borbet wheels are much sportier and look great in the summer. And having them permanently mounted makes it simple for me to swap them out twice a year without paying for re-mounting and balancing. (I have had a compressor and air wrench for many years!)

Re: lack of 4-matic. My rear wheel drive 2001 has the ESP and ASR and until I drove it last winter on snowy and icy streets, I had my doubts whether it was going to be OK for bad weather. But I was amazed at how surefooted this car is with the snows and the ESP switched on. You have to intentionally defy the laws of physics in order to get it to lose traction and go into a spin. It is an incredible system and I'll never even consider 4-matic from now on. Of course I rarely ever **must** go in the middle of a snow storm, so it isn't imperative for me anyway.
    :D
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    When I bought my 96 E320 in 1998, the dealer gave me the phone number of the sound shop that installed all their CD's and radios and the guy did it for $300.. A few years later I needed a replacement unit and got one on eBAy for $140. Took maybe 4 minutes to swap it out. Installation on the 1996-1999 is a piece of cake. The cable is already in the trunk under the floormat on the driver side of the car. All you need to do is mount it to the underside of the rear deck and connect it to the cable.
    :surprise:
  • sacguysacguy Posts: 27
    I have had my 2006 E350 for two months now and I love the car. I was skeptical when purchasing due to reliability concerns and actually backed out of a deal in February for an 05 E500. I went and looked at all the competitors, several times and just decided to take the plunge for what I wanted - E350 with premium and appearance packages, charcoal interior and flint grey exterior. The appearance pkg makes all the difference in the look of the car and the flint grey is beautiful - dark grey with specks of coordinating metallic blue, silver and purple. The car has been a dream to drive and is so comfortable on long drives. It handles nicely and feels very stable on the road. I have had zero problems and have not had to take it back to the dealer for anything. I can't even fault the SBC brakes which have performed like a charm and the 7 speed V6 engine is quick, smooth and responsive. Yes it cost more than some of the competitors but I feel it was worth it and I get so many compliments on the car from strangers and passengers. We shall see how the long term reliability holds up, but so far so good. :D
  • I have misplaced one of the my 2000 E's key and need to get replacement. Wonder if anyone knows how much it costs and experience?
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    One quick call to a MB dealer should answer your question for how much and how long it will take to replace it.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    A friend of mine had to replace the key on his 2001 S500. The key is very similar to "our" 2000 E's. It was $165.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.