Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• I picked up an E350 because I liked driving a C350 (of some kind - don't recall what it was) that I had as a loaner when the ML350 was in the shop for service. I had driven C320s in the past as loaner cars and was not really impressed - but the C350 was much different than I recalled the earlier cars being - faster, quieter, and seemingly better handling. That was it, I was back into driving sedans - what fun to push through curves... It was almost like driving my '83 Rabbit GTi (which I still drive) - just faster : )

Out shopping I went. Drove an E350, A6, and a 530. I liked them all - but the MB won me over due to its quieter interior (at least to me) and more all-around comfort in driving manners.

So when a local dealer had a very reasonable 27 month lease offer on a 4Matic, I went for it ($519/mo 10K miles/year E350 4matic - prem pkg - iridium silver). I could not be happier with the car. No issues at all. It has been to the mountains in blizzard like conditions (spring snow storms) in roaring cross winds (sustained 40mph - gusts to 60) and driving rain - all in less than 2000 miles so far : ) Climbing hills - even at 10,000 plus feet seems effortless (although to be fair, it does not pass as fast as when around home and that's at 6000 feet) never really needs to be shifted down like the ML does.

Although I have a minor quibble with the stereo - I think it is muddy in the midrange. This is the Harmon Kardon system - anyone else think this? My Bose in the ML sounds better. Installing an iPod adaptor and using the Rock EQ setting seems to have helped - but not as much as I would have liked.

That aside, I knew the new Es would be coming some time in the next couple of years so I thought a short term lease would be just the ticket to tide me over. Looks like I won't be disappointed. Although I do get a lot of grief from the folks I work with about how the windshield costs more than their whole car does : ) I guess I really should have gotten an Avalon...
  • joeyzazajoeyzaza Posts: 2
    Anyone know if leasing a used E Class is a feasible option? Would like to drive the E Class but would like to stay within my employers lease allowance. Do the MB dealers offer a lease program on pre-owned vehicles?
  • revkevrevkev Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide which car would be a better value in terms of maintenance costs, reliability, quality, and etc. Can anyone offer any advice on which would be a better purchase between a pre-owned E320 or BMW 5 series? I want to keep whatever I get for a very long time.

Thanks.
  • sailsail Posts: 17
    LEXUS LS430
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    AMEN................
  • edspider1edspider1 Posts: 195
    The LS430 is more reliable, but I dumped it for the 06 E350 and am a much happier camper. The LS is a larger car. I doubt you'll find much difference between the E and the 5 as far as reliability and maintenance costs go and both will last a long time. I would just look around get one you like the color and option set of.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    Call me crazy, but my 96 Camry with 90K miles drives as nice as 2001 E430 that I bought a month ago. Dimensionally with the exception of MB's longer wheelbase they are the same.

The Camry's V6 at 80-90 mph is as quite as the MB's V8. In 10 years of owning the Camry, the only time it has ever been to the dealer was to have the timing belt replaced at 90K miles. I do all the maintenance myself, and will be doing the same for the MB.

The MB feels solid and tight. The Camry feels soft and floaty. I must admit that MB's tight feel and firm seats make it a better highway cruiser.

Joe
  • wopelwopel Posts: 92
    I'm so discouraged. I need a wagon, and would prefer a diesel, but in reading this I see no hope. Doesn't MB realize the last diesel wagons for the US were in 87. Haven't I waited long enough??? My 87 wagon is still going strong, and I bought a gas wagon in the meantime, but come one MB, can't the wagon people move in to the future?
    I suppose I have to buy an R320cdi - but that isn't bluetec - right? And it's just not as good looking as an E.
    Did I read something about the bluetec engine and having to go to the dealer with some regularity to get filled up/or emptied with ???
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I think you should let MBUSA know about your situation. I don't think they see enough demand for a diesel wagon in the U.S. It appears that they've even decided not to being a E550 wagon to the U.S. for 2007. The Bluetec as I understand it will be just the E320 Sedan for 2007 which is supposed certified for sales in all 50 states. The R320, ML320 and GL320 are all 45 state models for 2007, but are supposed to be upgraded to the Bluetec system for 2008, but a E320 CDI wagon I don't see ever coming here. :(

With the Bluetec systems there is a canister of urea that has to be changed at every service visit. The details are still being worked out because states like Cali want to make sure anyone who buys this diesel stays on top of this service because that is what keeps the car compliant.

M
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    "...there is a canister of urea that has to be changed at every service visit..."

Another use for the ol' outdoor "bar-b" - boiling collected urine down for the urea content... (Those weekend cookout steaks may smell a little funny if the grill isn't properly aired out, though. ;))
  • blissfulblissful Posts: 79
    I really like the pewter color and debated a lot about that v. the white that I eventually chose. I think the pano roof looks SHARP wtih the white- better than in black. And, surprisingly, my previous experience with white cars has shown that white cars don't look dirty nearly as soon as dark colored cars. I think Pewter probably shows the dirt a tad less, but maybe not really much difference to the casual eye. And, white is $690 less than the pewter! Figured that gave me a little more flexibility in the other option I picked, just for the heck of it: the wood steering wheel. While there is no earthly, practical reason to have that steering wheel, it is drop dead gorgeous and it feels divine!
    I got that gorgeous steering wheel, too. I can understand why the pano roof would look good in white or black. White is the best color for not showing dirt. Always has been. Mine is a month old now. No problems, no regrets. I just love this car!
  • drv4fundrv4fun Posts: 16
    Hi,

I've had my 06 E-class sedan for almost a year now and noticed the other day another E-class with a different tail lights than mine. It was badgeless so I couldn't tell if it was a 350 or 500. It had a bunch of LED looking lights on the top part of the tail lights. I know for sure mine does not look like that. I've looked at a few sites and could not find it. Is this an AMG thing and can I order it somewhere for my E-350? Anyone know?

TIA
    Well that could have been the new S or a CLS I think, not sure.

M
  • wopelwopel Posts: 92
    Sadly, I don't see an E320cdi wagon. I've waited for many, many years for a diesel wagon to come back on the market, but not according to your above reply. With the price of fuel and the great mileage the E320cdi sedan gets, I just don't get it.
    If they can put a diesel in the R and GL, why not the E wagon?
    Also, judging by the pictures the wagon looks more like the last model rather than the present model. The present model is smaller due to the sloping rear - and as a wagon driver, I don't want smaller...
    Will the new wagon be out in the fall?
    Thanks
    Yes the facelifted E-Class wagon will be here in Summer actually, but only as a E350 4Matic. For some reason MBUSA has decided not to import a E550 Wagon so you know a E320 Bluetec Wagon is out of the question. Not sure why they're dropping the V8 wagon because unless I was seeing the same wagon over and over again (which I wasn't) the E500 4Matic wagon was quite popular around here, but I'm not sure how many they sold nationwide. If it were up to me there would be a E320 diesel, E350, E550 and E63 wagon, but it isn't. :(

Maybe they'll import more wagons if customer start requesting them and/or start walking out of the MB showroom instead of buying a ML,R, or GL...which might be what MBUSA is trying to steer wagon customers towards. Seems unlikely though in a time of rising gas prices which points back to the sensible thing - a diesel wagon. I don't get it either. A E320 diesel sedan and wagon with optional 4Matic would be a killer combo IMO.

M
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    Hey-

I'm new here... merc1 knows me quite well, as a matter of fact! :P

I have a couple basic questions, as my wife will be looking at the (refreshed) '07 E350 4Matic:

1. Will the 2007 version come with the fabled 7-Speed auto?

2. Can it come with a rear backup camera?

3. Will there be a significant price increase? I know that it will come with more standard equipment (harmon/kardon stereo, among others), but I hope it's not more than $2,000 over.

4. Finally, does anyone have information on the forthcoming AMG-appearance package, that you'll be able to get on all the 2007 E-Class models? I'm hoping you can get it without man-made leather, and it would be helpful if I knew the price... if it's too much money, I'll just get AMG wheels!

Any info would be fantastic.

Thanks!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    I'm already right at home...

I think that Mercedes-Benz isn't importing the E550 here because, frankly, it has no market. The S6 Avant (as well as the A6 4.2 Avant) isn't being sold here, and as far as I know, there is no 550xi wagon. Also, the E500/550 was a bit pricey- it looks like a bad value next to the ample E350, which is already in most of its competitors' V8 price markets.

Just a thought.

:confuse:
    Not sure why they aren't importing a E550 wagon because the E500 wagon at least seemed like it was popular, but without the actual sales numbers........

M
    1. 4Matic models, no its still the 5-speed, 7-speed doesn't fit with the 4Matic hardware.

2. No.

3. Probably about 1K or so price increase.

4. No idea about the AMG package yet. The man made leather is a European thing only.

M
    I could have sworn I saw some pricing sheets for the 2007 and while the base price went up a little, the options got redone such that for a lot of people, the net price is lower.

I had a rear camera on my last two cars and loved it. I was worried about just having Parktronic when I switched to the E. What I found is the E is just easier to backup and park than the larger LS or odd shaped M. I don't miss the backup camera as much as I thought I would.

I decided I'd rather have the 7 speed and better mpg than AWD. Chicago has only a couple of bad snow days and the roads I travel are plowed quickly. Besided the stability control in the benz is excellent.
    Yeah that was a MBUSA to dealers letter I posted earlier in this thread from a post from MBWorld.org. They are regrouping the options and adding standard equipment but I'm not sure if the final price will come out cheaper, we'll see.

I had a rear camera on my last two cars and loved it. I was worried about just having Parktronic when I switched to the E. What I found is the E is just easier to backup and park than the larger LS or odd shaped M. I don't miss the backup camera as much as I thought I would.

I'm glad you saw the design for what it is and not for what it didn't have. I've seen a few people on other board pass on the E because it didn't have a backup camera and I'm thinking uhh...it doesn't need one.

M
    I happen to live in Chicago also- do you live in the city or the suburbs?

I live in the suburbs, where black E320s are a dime a dozen (as well as RX330s, which we have now), so we'd be thinking about getting that fabulous dark green color on the E350 4Matic, with the AMG package.

However, my wife insists on AWD, and I too think it's necessary. Weather is so unpredictable here, it might snow a lot this winter! Tell me how your E goes through the winter... in December! We'll be getting our new car in January, so it would be great if you could remember to report a month before that.

Thanks!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    I happen to live in Chicago also- do you live in the city or the suburbs?

I live in the western burbs. Trust me I get tired of seeing Mercedes' sometimes especially on a good sunny Saturday.

M
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    I too have been eyeing the E350 - I need to get out of an SUV lease - my LR3 is great when I need the space (which is about 10% of the time), but the 13 mpg is killing me, and I miss the driving fun. I'm in upstate NY so our winters are probably similar...I've had RWD BMW's in the past, and with 4 snows I never had much trouble. With traction & stability control, it's tough to get in trouble. Usually stopping is more important than starting. With the price difference and 7sp auto vs. the 5 sp, I'm leaning away from the 4matic. Does anyone else out there have any experience with the 4matic vs the RWD - either in snow or in routine dry road handling?? BTW I love the way BMW's drive, but the new styling and I-drive really turn me off; and I hear the new E350 will have tighter steering and suspension.
    (LOL)- I'm not going to stalk you or anything, but what suburb exactly? If this is too personal, you don't have to answer.

Almost the ONLY reason I want the AMG package is because there are infinite E-Classes where I live- and I'd like mine to look different.

Or "better"- either one!

;)
    After reading Insideline's 2007 E-Class article, I was blown away.

I have never seen so much praise for a midsize sedan- not one flaw.

And they even said it looks more elegant than the S-Class! That makes us happy- my wife doesn't want to be upstaged by her friend, who just got the S550 (hahah I know- image problem).

The interior, while not as fresh as the A6's, is very elegant and functional. The exterior, on the other hand, looks somehow 100% better- that bodykit they added on it is perfect.

Now, we're thinking Airmatic suspension, for sure 4Matic AWD, Sport Package, and Sirius Satellite Radio.

We're going to refrain, though, until she drives it- and takes the Range Rover Sport for a 24-hour test drive.

Again- blown away. The review was more glowing than for the reviews of the new S, which is described as perfect.

:surprise:

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX 330
    (LOL)- I'm not going to stalk you or anything, but what suburb exactly? If this is too personal, you don't have to answer.

Aurora to be exact, and you?

Well if you get a 2007 E you'll have a unique car for at least 2 months...lol!

What E-Class article are you talking about?

M
This discussion has been closed.