Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• Dzuba, with three kids, the E class has considerably more room in the rear seat. If you want to make your car sportier (and handle better) consider spending $500 and installing Eibach springs. This lowers the car about 1.25" giving it a more aggressive look and helps with control in cornering and at high speed.

Also, tires make a HUGE difference in the ride of a car, as much as shocks and more than springs. I have the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso from Luke at Tirerack. They are absolutely quiet, great in rain, and are very sticky. They are supposed to last 25k miles. I have 5k on mine and marvel at the tight yet comfortable ride in comparison to the original Michelin and the very hard and noisy Dunlop 8000 I had last.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Wniel, I heard the Michelin pilots are the tires to buy for the E430's. Mine has the Goodyears that are noisy like yours. I have 18,000 miles on my 2000 E430 sport. I have 9,000 miles on my '02 ML500 and they are wearing perfectly. I should get 40,000 easy on those.

Dzuba, I was trying to remember when I purchased my first Mercedes... it was in 1993, I bought a 1991 560 SEL with the rear foot rests... cool car! I was 35.

Happy Motoring! Mark
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    I love the cars, especially the 01 E430 I saw - it looks awesome. So it sounds as if I will need new tires almost once a year if I am driving 30K miles per year, but that would be the same as with a 530/Sport. Does MB offer CPO on their used cars - guessing yes!
  • You don't have to get such aggressive tires as the P-Zeros. I'm using all-season tires (Pirelli P6) on my Benz, and Michelin Pilots on my BMW, which I (sometimes) drive more aggressively.

Depending on your driving style, you should be able to get 60K miles out of a set of tires.

Yes, Mercedes has a CPO, it's called Starmark.
  • Deals are out there for the 2003 E-Class. I just ordered a new E320 for $800 over invoice, which includes a $600 advertising charge. That amounted to about $2,500 below MSRP. I'll bet there are even better deals to be had if you work at it.

I shopped around. Most dealers wouldn't come off MSRP. I finally found one on the web and dealt with their Internet purchasing agent over the phone. Fortunatly they were the dealer down the street from me.
  • There are certainly deals to be had. We got a great one on our new 2003 E500. I just have to keep my husband from driving it all the time!

It is a great, well built, solid car in all respects. We had the 96 E class, and the new 2003's are much improved in every respect. I also feel it has much more interior room than the outgoing model. The person that felt headroom was an issue, did you lower the seat? I know it's a simple question, but I can't believe you felt the old model felt roomier.
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    There are two 2001 E430's on my local dealers lot. Both have about 13-15K miles on them and are Starmark vehicles. One of them has the Sport Package. Both are closely priced as well, $45,800 vs. 44,800 for the Sport. The Sport being less expensive. Any feedback on how nice the Sport ride is or is not?
  • Deals are out there for the 2003 E-Class. I just ordered a new E320 for $800 over invoice, which includes a $600 advertising charge. That amounted to about $2,500 below MSRP. I'll bet there are even better deals to be had if you work at it.

I shopped around. Most dealers wouldn't come off MSRP. I finally found one on the web and dealt with their Internet purchasing agent over the phone. Fortunatly they were the dealer down the street from me.
  • cce182cce182 Posts: 40
    The last few posts here have asked about alternatives to the F1's. I, too, had the F1's and hated the noise they make. Despite my having the E430 4-Matic on my 2000 E-Class, the F1's were positively scary in the snow (my driving is in MA and NH, mostly). I bought Blizzaks on AMG rims and swapped out the wheels/tires the first winter, and have done this since.

The blizzaks, are, paradoxically, quieter than the F1's! I keep the tranny switch on "W" when the Blizzaks are on, since treadlife for winter tires is also less than all season jobbies.

After the comparison, I couldn't wait for the F1's to wear out, which they finally did. When this happened, I switched over to Bridgestone Potenza S-03's. Rain perfomance matches the F1's reasonably well, they are MUCH quieter, and cheaper, to boot. The tread design isn't as sexy, but who really cares? I've done all my tire purchasing for this car from www.tirerack.com and have had good service from them. Most local tire dealers do not stock tires appropriate for the E430 performance, and tirerack gets you tires much faster than special order from any of the normal local sources, I found.

I notice that Goodyear is advertising a new F1 design here in the states. In the photo, the "parabolic" grooves in the tread are much more "streamlined" on the U.S. versions than those that came on the car. Perhaps they're quieter, but who would want to bother doing the experiment!

On an entirely different subject, comparing the E-Class with the BMW 5-series: to me, at least, there really isn't a comparison. I'm a 6-footer and occasionally have more than two passengers of similar size. The 5-series is much smaller inside than the E-Class, to say nothing of the trunk, and the E-Class is designed for the 95th-percentile male adult. The 5-series seems much smaller than the E-Class, which may partially account for it's sporty aura. And, so far as I know, the AWD option is not available on the BMW. Thus, disqualified before considered, at least for me. Just another opinion for the discussion, of course.

• Care to share the dealer your referring to?

Thanks
  • wstehwsteh Posts: 8
    I'm coming from two Lexus', the loss of the second unfortunately not my choice.

The new E Class seems to be the perfect car, especially since I won't buy a car with a sunroof.

However, does anyone know if the E320/E500 are available with a fold down rear seat? Most of the magazine tests mention this option, but the MBUSA website does not.

Thanks.
    Wsteh, yes, the new E has a the fold down rear seat as an option.

Mark
  • The Sport package consists of larger tires, wheels, and body cladding. Otherwise the ride is the same (aside from the tire influence). This is an expensive option. I wonder why the non-sport is listed for less. What other options does each car have at that dealer?

CCE182: Thanks for the tire opinion.
  • I love the early to mid nineties Mercedes-Benz E-classes. Everything about this car, is everything that Mercedes-Benz stands for. I am currently looking for a 1994 or 1995 300 coupe if anyone knows of any in good condition, I would greatly appreciate a response. These magnificent cars are hard to come by.
    Zach, they might be hard to come by because they are called "320" coupes/sedan for 1994 and 1995..... :o)

M.
  • wstehwsteh Posts: 8
    Thanks Mark, I've been saying for 4 years that my next car would have an active cruise control. The new E seems to be the perfect car, meeting every single one of my requirements.

Maybe it's time for a test drive!!

Wayne
  • After driving my E500 for 800 miles, here are my impressions:

The car is very smooth, fast, quiet, and solid felling. It handles great. I have notice a slight drift to the right. Not sure it is the problem that other have posted about. There is no ticking noise on my car or any problems. On mostly a highway trip, I averaged 24.9 mpg. Not bad considering a big V8 and i was going between 55 and 75 mph most of the way.

The HK sound system is very nice but not as good as i imagined it would be. I'd like to see more ability to adjust the sound to my personal taste (other than base & tremble and some other minor options).

The cup holders are way to small and not designed well. I guess Europeans don't "get" the cup holder thing.

The wipers worked great on my trip. They did not skip or jump and were very quiet.

The standard seats are very comfortable. I was in them for 4-5 hours at a time and they still felt good.

The fit and finish is excellent as is the leather, wood (I know it's veneer), and other interior items.

I thought there was good road feel from the wheel although it might be a little too much for my taste.

I don't like the ash tray on the dash. I would like to have that as storage space for those of us who do not smoke. Just seems like a waste of prime dash space for us non-smokers. As option for storage or an ash tray would be good.

Climate control seems to work fine. Don't know how to use all of it but then all you need to know is set it on auto and leave it.

The bixenon lights are great. Much brighter than normal lights.

The pano roof is a must have IMHO. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. It makes a big impression. No more noise than a normal sunroof and it has an electric cover for both roofs if the sun is too bright. The pano roof is my favorite option.

Now if the DVD-Nav would just get here!

I have other comments that I'll post later. Bottom line is that this is one of the best cars i've ever owned. It is expensive but all good things are. I would not hesitate to buy this car again or recommend it to family or a friend. If you have one on order you did the right thing. If you are thinking about buying one, all i can say is that you won't regret it if you do IMHO.
  • iqguyiqguy Posts: 1
    I have heard people being offered up to $2100 below MSRP on new E. ON this forum mgriffin4 has posted $2500 off MSRP on 320. This proves the point many people have made earlier, that as Jan 03 approaches , new E disconts will become more apparent.

From other forums Fremont, Ca dealership offers $2100 off MSRP (or had offered to someone)

Would love to know the dealership if possible mgriffin4.
  • My car has a little insert in the glove box that you use to turn the ash tray into useable space. Pop out the ash tray and slide in the little "rubber liner" and presto, useful space and no ash tray. There is a custom size slot for the liner in the glove box. If you do not have it, call your dealer. Mine made a point to show it to me when he found out I did not smoke.

PS: Glad you like the car. I think the Pano Roof is great too. As for the stereo, turn off the logic 7 for a while and then turn it back on. You will appreciate the difference!

It just turned 1,700 miles and I have been loving every one.

Take care!
  • Thanks mbe2003. I'll see if I can find the rubber liner. I agree there is a big difference with the logic 7 on, I just wish I could adjust the sound for my tastes. It is a very good sound system, I guess I had too high of expectations while waiting for my car! :)